2019 Grandaddy of em All Event with Callaway Golf

We’re going to spend one day at a JGTO event and one day at a JLPGA, working with players and testing some product, which should be cool then into Tokyo for a couple days of meetigns, some retail visits and hopefully a round of golf. I love Tokyo amazing city and the food is always great!

We’re going to spend one day at a JGTO event and one day at a JLPGA, working with players and testing some product, which should be cool then into Tokyo for a couple days of meetigns, some retail visits and hopefully a round of golf. I love Tokyo amazing city and the food is always great!

Very cool! Hope everything goes well and you have safe and stress free travel. Would rather the round of golf not happen so you aren’t sharp come The Grandaddy! ;)

On a serious note, hit us with some putter education. Why is the mallet so much better for most golfers, except @Snickerdog . Is it purely MOI? Alignment features? What else?

Those are the two biggest reasons I am pro-mallet. The heads generally have higher MOI which makes them more forgiving when you don’t hit your putts right in the center of the face and because they are bigger there is more you can do to design in alignment aids to help golfers aim better. And now that there are mallets with toe hang, you can get mallets that encourage the opening and closing of the face during the stoke if that is what you need.

sounds like a blast ! Can you bring back some of that Callaway Japan Apparel? Or convince someone to start selling it here?

Thanks for the info. I had been a blade guy my whole life but I’m the past year inhave games the 11s and Atlanta with great success. I am open to trying other mallets to see what might fit. I think I open and close the face so the toe hang in a mallet has been a game changer for me.

When it looks like this outside...

20191110_174801.jpg

You have to find alternative means of prepping your game for a few rounds well into your off season. Thank god for simulators.

Working on getting my sequence down. Hips weren't first. Trying to go hipa, shoulders, arms, wrists. Going on kvest again next Monday to see where I'm at. Otherwise, the setting is feeling great.

Do they view you as a Viking Warrior there?

Those are the two biggest reasons I am pro-mallet. The heads generally have higher MOI which makes them more forgiving when you don’t hit your putts right in the center of the face and because they are bigger there is more you can do to design in alignment aids to help golfers aim better. And now that there are mallets with toe hang, you can get mallets that encourage the opening and closing of the face during the stoke if that is what you need.
When it looks like this outside...

View attachment 8914472

You have to find alternative means of prepping your game for a few rounds well into your off season. Thank god for simulators.

Working on getting my sequence down. Hips weren't first. Trying to go hipa, shoulders, arms, wrists. Going on kvest again next Monday to see where I'm at. Otherwise, the setting is feeling great.

dropping bombs!??

What part or how does the shaft effect what you should play? ie: single bend, double, plumbers neck?

What part or how does the shaft effect what you should play? ie: single bend, double, plumbers neck?

It’s all about how much toe hang a putter will have. Double bend and single bend shafts are designed to make the putter face balanced, in almost all cases. Different types of hosels and where those hosels enter the head will provide different amounts of toe hang, the more heelward the more toe hang you get. The more toe hang you have the more the putter will want to rotate during your stroke.

No, I blend right in in Japan, most people think I’m a local
You’ve been a part of the grandaddy a few years...what’s something you look forward to each year you go?

It’s all about how much toe hang a putter will have. Double bend and single bend shafts are designed to make the putter face balanced, in almost all cases. Different types of hosels and where those hosels enter the head will provide different amounts of toe hang, the more heelward the more toe hang you get. The more toe hang you have the more the putter will want to rotate during your stroke.

I'm especially excited to try out some mallets with toe hang. Any mallets in the 2019 lineup that have up to 45*?

@Luke WilliamsCG if you had to choose one putter from the entire history of Odyssey to use for the rest of your golfing life what would it be?

You’ve been a part of the grandaddy a few years...what’s something you look forward to each year you go?

It’s always fun to meet the new crew from THP and you to get to see how excited they are for every part of this event from the fittings, to the bus ride, to dinner at Al’s, to getting their brand new clubs, to the breakfast sliders and the comfort stations. Seeing their reactions always puts it in great perspective for me, we’re very lucky to get to so what we do and to be able to do this event and share it with others. And we get to enjoy it all right along with you!

It’s always fun to meet the new crew from THP and you to get to see how excited they are for every part of this event from the fittings, to the bus ride, to dinner at Al’s, to getting their brand new clubs, to the breakfast sliders and the comfort stations. Seeing their reactions always puts it in great perspective for me, we’re very lucky to get to so what we do and to be able to do this event and share it with others. And we get to enjoy it all right along with you!

That is really awesome to hear. I know we all get in a groove with what we do in our day to day lives and sometimes it takes something out of the ordinary to put things into perspective and make you realize to cherish what you have. I’m glad this event and THP helps you do that sometimes.

@Luke WilliamsCG if you had to choose one putter from the entire history of Odyssey to use for the rest of your golfing life what would it be?

That would be hard and fortunately I don’t have to, I will say though that sometimes I don’t want to switch, but we need to play the latest and greatest we have so it’s usually an annual thing for me around this time of year. I had a Red Marxman a couple years ago that I LOVED, I putted great with that and wouldn’t have switched except that we came out with Stroke Lab and EXO and I switched to an EXO Marxman with Stroke Lab and I loved that too. Now tryouts are back on, and this new TEN has won the starting job for now, it’s probably going to be in my bag for awhile.

That would be hard and fortunately I don’t have to, I will say though that sometimes I don’t want to switch, but we need to play the latest and greatest we have so it’s usually an annual thing for me around this time of year. I had a Red Marxman a couple years ago that I LOVED, I putted great with that and wouldn’t have switched except that we came out with Stroke Lab and EXO and I switched to an EXO Marxman with Stroke Lab and I loved that too. Now tryouts are back on, and this new TEN has won the starting job for now, it’s probably going to be in my bag for awhile.

The TEN looks so good, so does the BoP. Any other new shapes coming out in 2020?

~45 degrees, and windy today but still managed to squeak in a walking 9 +3 holes extras in shorts before sundown. The one advantage the THP winter crew has over the field, weather and temp will not be a deterrent. Hopefully will be able to get one or two more outside rounds in before forced into the simulator.

Back