2019 Grandaddy of em All Event with Callaway Golf

I need to get two things from all participants please. Can you please send me a PM with a picture of yourself (face shot if possible) and your 11/15 handicap update. Thanks
Done.

Bumped into @JourdanInMich at the driving range today working on his game. He is in the right frame of mind and excited to get out there with the rest of you guys!

Can't believe this is coming up so quickly already!

It's almost time. Excited to follow along again. It's been fun watching all the interviews and banter all year and now it's just about go time!!

Where do you typically play up there? I'm originally from Columbus and have family in Akron.

What’s up Pete! If you ever want to get out at Silver Lake (Cuyahoga Falls), hit me up when you’re back in Ohio.

I’ve been watching the marketing team from Callaway take on some of the touring pros on YouTube. Team THP should do just fine in a couple of weeks :cool:.

Ok Team THP! Thanks to the inspiration of @dazeedmonds from last year 2018 event thread, I figured it is a great opportunity for the forum to get to know our golf mindset on how we would play each hole at the Hideaway on Dye and Clive courses before we step foot on it. I borrowed dazeemonds images from the thread and added it here. Thanks @dazeedmonds!

Will start with Hole #1 tonight and then do 2 holes per day until the 24th and then one per day after that to conclude on 12/1 before we travel.

Zoo Crew - Feel free to engage as well!

Here we go! Hole #1

Dye #1:
View attachment 8915596

Clive #1:
View attachment 8915597

Dye #1: Driver to 300 yard range. 54* wedge at 50% to center left of the green

Clive #1: Driver to end up short of bunker at top of fairway. Depending on remaining distance - 5 or 6 iron for a slight fade onto the green.

I like this idea NoShanks and since I've been lucky enough to to play The Hideaway before I'll draw on my previous experience and perhaps be able to give you guys some insight into how these holes play. Before I start let me give you a WITB so that you have some context for the equipment I have and the distances I typically hit my clubs, distance are total with roll I'm no Tour player, I have no idea how far my ball carries and I want credit for all of the distance I get.

Driver: Epic Flash 12(D+2)(225): Even Flow Green 47 Reg, Tour Velvet Light Cord 58 Round upside down +2 wraps + additional 1 wrap in the right hand.
Fairway Woods: Epic Flash 3W(D +2)(190), 5W(D+1)(180), 7W(DS)(170), 9W(160), 11W(150): Even Flow Green 59 R, Tour Velvet 58 Light Cord 58 Round upside down +2 wraps + additional 2 wraps in the right hand.
Hybrids: Big Bertha 6H(D+2)(140), 7H(D+1)(130), 8H(DS)(120): UST Recoil ZT9 70 R, Tour Velvet Light Cord 58 Round upside down +2 wraps + additional 3 wraps in the right hand.
Long Iron: Big Bertha 9(110) 2 up: UST Recoil ZT9 70 R, +5/8", Tour Velvet Light Cord 58 Round upside down +2 wraps + additional 4 wraps in the right hand.
Short Iron: Big Bertha P(100) 1 up: UST Recoil ZT9 70 R, +3/8", Tour Velvet Light Cord 58 Round upside down +2 wraps + additional 4 wraps in the right hand.
Wedges: Sure Out 56(80) std. lie and 60(60) 1 flat: UST 65 Wedge shaft, Tour Velvet Light Cord 58 Round upside down +1 wrap + additional 1 wrap in right hand.
Putter: Stroke Lab TEN 35" Stroke Lab Oversize grip

#1 on The Dye: Looks pretty tame on this overhead view, but this hole can be sneaky hard and plays quite a bit longer than its stated 370 yards. I'll definitely go with the driver off the tee and give it all I've got. (A key here is to not hit a weak push off the tee so you don't bring the water on the right into play.) Assuming I hit a good one and avoid the water I'll probably be left with somewhere around 150 in for my second shot, this is a good yardage for me pretty much a stock 11 wood, if I come out of it a little or if it is playing into the wind I may need to go with 9 or even 7 and I've hit as much as 3 wood into this green before. From those distances I'm not really expecting to hit the green, I'll be doing my best to miss the bunkers, but realistically my miss is right and I will probably end up in the short right bunker or just short of it. Either way I'll go to one of my Sure Out wedges (these wedges are magic by the way, if half of you don't get fit into them you're doing it wrong) depending on lie and distance. Regadless I'm pretty confident now with these wedges that I can hit the green most of the time from inside 15 yards so I'll aim for the middle of the green and hope. Assuming I can hit the green it just depends on hole location, hopefully I'm close enough to 2 putt or perhaps hit a good lag putt and get a generous gimme, if I do I'll take my bogey and run to the second tee. If not double is not the worst way to start.

#1 on The Clive: Long Par 5 here and to have any chance to get home in 3 I really need to hit a good drive that avoids the bunkers on the right (if I get in those bunkers I have to lay up short of the next set of bunkers and it becomes a 4 shot hole for me) for these purposes I will assume I'm able to hit a good drive (since everyone seems to be playing their best golf in these previews). A good drive for me here will go about 225 since it's a little down hill, leaving 276 to the hole. This is where things get tricky. I've got to keep it left of the two bunkers on the right mid way down the fairway in case I don't absolutely nut my 3 wood, but that brings that little bunker on the left into play if I hit the dreaded pull top, that bunker looks small, but it's deadly. Assuming, again, that I hit a good 3 wood, I'll be left with right around 86 yards, which is 3/4 P Iron for me. This green has a lot of slope on it so I'm not trying to be a hero here, just hoping to get one on the green. More often than not on these 3/4 shots I'll leave it short of the green, but at least I'm below the hole if I do and I'm pretty deadly with my Sure Outs so I'll take my 56 and bump it up there and hope for another two putt bogey. A well played hole and only 1 over on The Clive, I'd be pumped with that!

I like this idea NoShanks and since I've been lucky enough to to play The Hideaway before I'll draw on my previous experience and perhaps be able to give you guys some insight into how these holes play. Before I start let me give you a WITB so that you have some context for the equipment I have and the distances I typically hit my clubs, distance are total with roll I'm no Tour player, I have no idea how far my ball carries and I want credit for all of the distance I get.

Driver: Epic Flash 12(D+2)(225): Even Flow Green 47 Reg, Tour Velvet Light Cord 58 Round upside down +2 wraps + additional 1 wrap in the right hand.
Fairway Woods: Epic Flash 3W(D +2)(190), 5W(D+1)(180), 7W(DS)(170), 9W(160), 11W(150): Even Flow Green 59 R, Tour Velvet 58 Light Cord 58 Round upside down +2 wraps + additional 2 wraps in the right hand.
Hybrids: Big Bertha 6H(D+2)(140), 7H(D+1)(130), 8H(DS)(120): UST Recoil ZT9 70 R, Tour Velvet Light Cord 58 Round upside down +2 wraps + additional 3 wraps in the right hand.
Long Iron: Big Bertha 9(110) 2 up: UST Recoil ZT9 70 R, +5/8", Tour Velvet Light Cord 58 Round upside down +2 wraps + additional 4 wraps in the right hand.
Short Iron: Big Bertha P(100) 1 up: UST Recoil ZT9 70 R, +3/8", Tour Velvet Light Cord 58 Round upside down +2 wraps + additional 4 wraps in the right hand.
Wedges: Sure Out 56(80) std. lie and 60(60) 1 flat: UST 65 Wedge shaft, Tour Velvet Light Cord 58 Round upside down +1 wrap + additional 1 wrap in right hand.

#1 on The Dye: Looks pretty tame on this overhead view, but this hole can be sneaky hard and plays quite a bit longer than its stated 370 yards. I'll definitely go with the driver off the tee and give it all I've got. (A key here is to not hit a weak push off the tee so you don't bring the water on the right into play.) Assuming I hit a good one and avoid the water I'll probably be left with somewhere around 150 in for my second shot, this is a good yardage for me pretty much a stock 11 wood, if I come out of it a little or if it is playing into the wind I may need to go with 9 or even 7 and I've hit as much as 3 wood into this green before. From those distances I'm not really expecting to hit the green, I'll be doing my best to miss the bunkers, but realistically my miss is right and I will probably end up in the short right bunker or just short of it. Either way I'll go to one of my Sure Out wedges (these wedges are magic by the way, if half of you don't get fit into them you're doing it wrong) depending on lie and distance. Regadless I'm pretty confident now with these wedges that I can hit the green most of the time from inside 15 yards so I'll aim for the middle of the green and hope. Assuming I can hit the green it just depends on hole location, hopefully I'm close enough to 2 putt or perhaps hit a good lag putt and get a generous gimme, if I do I'll take my bogey and run to the second tee. If not double is not the worst way to start.

#1 on The Clive: Long Par 5 here and to have any chance to get home in 3 I really need to hit a good drive that avoids the bunkers on the right (if I get in those bunkers I have to lay up short of the next set of bunkers and it becomes a 4 shot hole for me) for these purposes I will assume I'm able to hit a good drive (since everyone seems to be playing their best golf in these previews). A good drive for me here will go about 225 since it's a little down hill, leaving 276 to the hole. This is where things get tricky. I've got to keep it left of the two bunkers on the right mid way down the fairway in case I don't absolutely nut my 3 wood, but that brings that little bunker on the left into play if I hit the dreaded pull top, that bunker looks small, but it's deadly. Assuming, again, that I hit a good 3 wood, I'll be left with right around 86 yards, which is 3/4 P Iron for me. This green has a lot of slope on it so I'm not trying to be a hero here, just hoping to get one on the green. More often than not on these 3/4 shots I'll leave it short of the green, but at least I'm below the hole if I do and I'm pretty deadly with my Sure Outs so I'll take my 56 and bump it up there and hope for another two putt bogey. A well played hole and only 1 over on The Clive, I'd be pumped with that!

I heart Luke’s response. I do miss flip wedges and extra wraps of tape though.

Glad to see we have internet golfers on the zoo crew, as well ! 1574296219420.gif

Haha, thanks @Luke WilliamsCG ! very valuable insight ;)

Time for holes 2 and 3!

Dye 2:

dye2.jpg

Dye 3

dye3.jpg

Clive 2
clive2.jpg

Clive 3
clive3.jpg

Dye 2: Feeling dangerous like Baker Mayfield and will hit driver to carry across cart path. Maybe 80 yards left for a nice soft 54* wedge onto the green.

Dye 3: Potential drivable hole for me with driver. If I hit it solid and produce a baby draw to generate additional roll, it'll be on the green. if not, simple chip on. At this point whoever is playing me in Zoo Crew will probably text @JasonFinleyCG in anger for pairing them with me.

Clive 2: 7 iron dart straight at the top of the pin.

Clive 3: Intimidating hole with trouble on right with beautiful looking houses that acts as magnets to your golf ball. But not intimidating enough to hit a fitted driver. Driver straight down the middle. Gap/soft PW onto the green.

The extra grip wrap under the right hand....THAT’S what I’ve been missing.

1574298174263.gif

Ya know. I got to the hybrids before I realized something was off. It seems Luke’s account has been hacked by CPG.

Such a great bag setup. I hope we get to hear more hole strategies from you!

Ya know. I got to the hybrids before I realized something was off. It seems Luke’s account has been hacked by CPG.
LOL I was thinking CPG too! This Luke vs CPG would be a battle for the ages.

I am starting to think the Zoo Crew has played here a few times.;)

I am starting to think the Zoo Crew has played here a few times.;)
Well that’s true. But I’m pretty sure @Luke WilliamsCG could come up with a plan like that for any course on the fly. Dude is funny.

I think 10:00 Luke may have started early today. That was fantastic.

Back