2019 Irons of the Year

Cobra F9

Apex combo set!

Best for the masses: Apex 19/Apex Pro 19

Best looking: MP20 line

top that I have hit? Probably Srixon 785 if they count as a 19 release. I have a soft spot for Srixon irons

Honestly never hit any of the new 2019 releases as I hate to be tempted but based on THP feedback I just purchased a set of Apex CF19 Pros so my default vote goes to the Apex Pros.

1st is Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal just nipping the Callaway Apex 19s. Only other irons I tried were TaylorMade M5. I liked them but not as much as the Mizunos or Callaways.

Apex 19. Irons I tried many and it came down to Apex 19 or T200. Being a beginner golfer it’s impressive that they have worked so well for me. Easily my best purchase to date.

I was wondering whether these would make this thread.

They are what I have wanted for a long time, very forgiving with great distance and still have a good look at address.

I know being “delofted” might give them a bad stigma to some but they are perfect for me. Plus I love having 4 wedges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are what I have wanted for a long time, very forgiving with great distance and still have a good look at address.

I know being “delofted” might give them a bad stigma to some but they are perfect for me. Plus I love having 4 wedges
I mean, when you have so much skill that you can only play one loft on each iron regardless of the tech and launch characteristics, I suppose it makes perfect sense to take issue with the 'jacked' loft story :LOL:

Big fan of hybrid style irons so for me, while they have only been out for a month or so ... it's the Cobra T-Rails. Not gaming them as I am waiting for a 6i to come with in my preferred shaft to test more extensively.
But on the range it has looked real promising. Ultra consistent with great launch (what I need) and a nice baby draw flight.

I think the black finish, sole rails and different overall look from other HB irons on the market they have a winner here.

Callaway Apex CF19

I love these things !
More consistent dispersal, length, and feel for me.

Cobra F9 Speedbacks for sure. Performance is better from them than any others I've tried. However, as the year has gone on, the form-factor is starting to bother me a bit - just a mental thing where my preference is shifting towards something a bit smaller. To that end, I'd add the Apex Pro 19s to the mix.

Apex 19

Callaway Rogue X, steel, I'm back to steel shafts after more than 10 years of graphite irons. A distance gain for me despite reverting to steel, along with better distance control. I'm not seeing those unexpected shots that air mail the green. Rogue X also easy to connect with the sweet spot.

Last edited:
... Wow, 3 pages and not a single vote for P790's?!?! I thought the original P790's were outstanding and the 2019 version is even better. For a mid to low index player they provide everything you want with everything you need. Great look at address (as well as in the bag for those concerned with that) a very nice players shape with a perfect head size that is not too big or too small but juuuuuust right. Lower spin means they are amazing wind irons. Very forgiving for a players iron, the launch high and with lower spin and are longer than any mid/long irons I have played making them an excellent choice for anyone, but especially older player that have lost a few yards.

Apex Pro's for me. Looks good, feels good, and I even feel like I play better with them.

I’m doubling down on the Apex combos. So so so good. I’d not be shocked if I end up with them back in the bag on feel alone.

... Wow, 3 pages and not a single vote for P790's?!?! I thought the original P790's were outstanding and the 2019 version is even better. For a mid to low index player they provide everything you want with everything you need. Great look at address (as well as in the bag for those concerned with that) a very nice players shape with a perfect head size that is not too big or too small but juuuuuust right. Lower spin means they are amazing wind irons. Very forgiving for a players iron, the launch high and with lower spin and are longer than any mid/long irons I have played making them an excellent choice for anyone, but especially older player that have lost a few yards.
Good irons. But easily number 3 on the hollow body irons I’ve owned and played this year.

I’m doubling down on the Apex combos. So so so good. I’d not be shocked if I end up with them back in the bag on feel alone.
They are just.... so good. And so forgiving, even in the pros.

Yup. I oft eye a full set of pros in smoke.
? I think I could go to 6iron in pros, don’t know if I could handle the 5, definitely not the 4. I’d love a smoke combo from CPO haha

Epic Forged and not a close call. Feels better, much better performance than I got from Apex, Ping G410 or other clubs I tried

This year I have owned:
Epic forged
Apex 19 pro
Apex 19 combo
MP20 HMB
Titleist t200
Ping blueprint
King forged tec.
For me it is the King forged with t200 right behind them.

? I think I could go to 6iron in pros, don’t know if I could handle the 5, definitely not the 4. I’d love a smoke combo from CPO haha
They were dirt cheap last week...like $420 for 5-PW

The irons that performed the best at my CC fitting and will be ordering is G410. They beat out F9, T300, z545 (gamer), M6, Honma? And Epic Forged. They are confidence inspiring and not to clunky to me.

Back