Players have gotten 2-5 games for stomping. Pounce is likely looking at a couple of games for kicking a guy in the head when he’s on the ground and underneath someone else (defenseless). Garrett has to be done for the year, if not more.

I think that the fact that the Browns are so undisciplined is going to come back to bite them.

Oh, they got him off, and then continued to go after him.. with no-helmet Rudolph (stupid) chasing close behind.
The reality is, there were three Steelers going after Garrett when he swung. Still not condoning it, but hey..

Agreed that Rudolph is lucky. Two very bad decisions that could have lead to a solid concussion.
I watched the replay and looking at it again... If you think that 66 and 71 are going after him you're just wrong.... Rudolph goes at him for sure but does he really count? Pouncey is the one that gets after Garrett....

There is a difference between picking a fight and getting into a verbal exchange with some pushing, compared to having your helmet ripped off and getting hit over the head with it. No one in the NFL is signing up to be part of an act like that.
I think it's a tough sell saying he was trying to get into verbal exchanges.

Part of what’s being lost here is Garrett threw Rudolph to the ground well after the ball was gone.

Imagine if this was not Rudolf but Brady or Aaron Rodgers that was getting smacked in the head with his own helmet. The OUTRAGE would be off the charts.
Brady or Rogers wouldn’t have tried to pull Garrett’s helmet off, or went after him afterwards, FWIW. Garrett is an idiot, but he was an idiot with a kid who for some reason felt it necessary to try and fight someone much bigger than them too. Rudolph will just get excused because of what Garrett did was completely unbelievable and horrible. But Rudolph is the whole reason it escalated as far as it did.

I watched the replay and looking at it again... If you think that 66 and 71 are going after him you're just wrong.... Rudolph goes at him for sure but does he really count? Pouncey is the one that gets after Garrett....
I need to watch it again honestly. Just going off the few times the replayed.

Still think it was a terrible decision. Still think a suspension is merited. Can't say that enough :ROFLMAO:

What amazes me is that people could ever think to downplay this. He swung that helmet with such force that it's only a stroke of fortunate luck that serious injury wasn't incurred.

The act and it's force defines recklessness. His willful actions sure provided enough force to accomplish serious physical injury had he connected more cleanly.

Nobody, NOBODY would take such a stance if Rudolph lied prone on the field afterward getting strapped to a stretcher. The defender of this ridiculous stance would say, "but that didn't happen."

Well, that it didn't happen wasn't because of any restraint on the part of Garrett. That was sheer luck. Much like, on a more serious level, someone getting shot at yet only gets hit in the leg rather than the head. The act could have reasonably led to serious injury so hitting the leg doesn't absolve the reckless act.

Brady or Rogers wouldn’t have tried to pull Garrett’s helmet off, or went after him afterwards, FWIW. Garrett is an idiot, but he was an idiot with a kid who for some reason felt it necessary to try and fight someone much bigger than them too. Rudolph will just get excused because of what Garrett did was completely unbelievable and horrible. But Rudolph is the whole reason it escalated as far as it did.
This is well said. I agree with you.

I haven't seen anyone excuse it, fwiw.

Maybe "excusing" was the wrong word... Nor am I saying Rudolph didn't have some responsibility in the melee. BUT guys trying to take each other's helmets off is a common occurrence. A guy actually getting someone's helmet off and bashing him over the head with it is not. It's an outrageous act that will get a massive punishment. Heck, just read on Twitter that even Kareem Hunt, of all people, is yelling at Garrett in the locker room...

I agree it could be considered a "weapon" but I don't see the point in classifying it. Hell, a punch to the face could have done more damage (if we want to be honest here).

He swung a HELMET at a player (who was not defenseless, if anything antagonizing) and should be suspended.

Well fists are also considered a weapon (Legally speaking) if used in an act of violence. If you think a punch to the face can cause as much damage as a ~5 pound helmet then that’s a whole separate discussion haha.

Really? Do tell...... guy picked a fight and got what was coming.... had his helmet ripped off his head given he was trying to do the same..... that should have been the end of it....... It escalated after Garrett swung on him with the helmet

Maybe "excusing" was the wrong word... Nor am I saying Rudolph didn't have some responsibility in the melee. BUT guys trying to take each other's helmets off is a common occurrence. A guy actually getting someone's helmet off and bashing him over the head with it is not. It's an outrageous act that will get a massive punishment. Heck, just read on Twitter that even Kareem Hunt, of all people, is yelling at Garrett in the locker room...
Let's keep it clear though.. Didn't take his helmet off and bash him over the head with it. Took his helmet off, got pushed away (or backed off can't remember), and then acted like a moron when said other moron continued to pursue.

No one is excusing the smash. No one.

I need to watch it again honestly. Just going off the few times the replayed.

Still think it was a terrible decision. Still think a suspension is merited. Can't say that enough :ROFLMAO:
End of the day both teams will lose players to suspension

Well fists are also considered a weapon (Legally speaking) if used in an act of violence. If you think a punch to the face can cause as much damage as a ~5 pound helmet then that’s a whole separate discussion haha.
Money says I'd rather take the bottom of a helmet in that manner over a clear right hook from Garrett if I had to pick :ROFLMAO:

I know for sure that one would have me napping. :sleep:?

Really? Do tell...... guy picked a fight and got what was coming.... had his helmet ripped off his head given he was trying to do the same..... that should have been the end of it....... It escalated after Garrett swung on him with the helmet

Do tell what? Garrett in no way shape or form went after him. It was when Rudolph went back after Garrett that he made that horrible decision. But after the helmet was ripped off - Garrett appeared done with the situation. Probably would have had words with the linemen for sure, but Rudolph should have just went to the refs after and gotten the penalty. Instead he went after Garrett.

The dysfunction of the browns is borderline impressive. Rudolph is an idiot, and Garrett is even stupider. Pouncey will also get suspended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's keep it clear though.. Didn't take his helmet off and bash him over the head with it. Took his helmet off, got pushed away (or backed off can't remember), and then acted like a moron when said other moron continued to pursue.

No one is excusing the smash. No one.

I'm confused. Are you saying the helmet didn't hit Rudolph? Because replays show that it did.

Players have gotten 2-5 games for stomping. Pounce is likely looking at a couple of games for kicking a guy in the head when he’s on the ground and underneath someone else (defenseless). Garrett has to be done for the year, if not more.
I'm not particularly familiar with suspension logic in the NFL, but the decision making of a player reflect the suspension received?

Lots of talk about stomping, which I would assume would be on a defenseless player. Does the fact that Rudolph was deciding to engage and not being defenseless impact?

The dysfunction of the browns is borderline impressive. Rudolph is an idiot, and Garrett is even stupider. Pouncey will also get suspended.

This is a terrific TLDR version.

I'm confused. Are you saying the helmet didn't hit Rudolph? Because replays show that it did.
No I am saying he didn't take his helmet off and start bashing him with it. There was time in between. Obviously a different situation.

I'm not particularly familiar with suspension logic in the NFL, but the decision making of a player reflect the suspension received?

Lots of talk about stomping, which I would assume would be on a defenseless player. Does the fact that Rudolph was deciding to engage and not being defenseless impact?

It should. In my opinion suspensions for Garrett and Rudolph should be matching

Money says I'd rather take the bottom of a helmet in that manner over a clear right hook from Garrett if I had to pick :ROFLMAO:

I know for sure that one would have me napping. :sleep:?

I can guarantee Garrett was not willingly trying to hit him with the open end of the helmet, more like he got lucky it occurred that way And he didnt crack some guys head open.

If you told me I have the option of taking a punch or helmet to the head, I’m taking the punch every time.

I can guarantee Garrett was not willingly trying to hit him with the open end of the helmet, more like he got lucky it occurred that way And he didnt crack some guys head open.

If you told me I have the option of taking a punch or helmet to the head, I’m taking the punch every time.
How can you 'guarantee' that?

No I am saying he didn't take his helmet off and start bashing him with it. There was time in between. Obviously a different situation.

Ahh, yes. That is true. Still cannot believe the escalation on Garrett's part. Don't think he needs to protect himself from a helmet less quarterback by swinging it at him. I guess I'm not surprised at all by chippiness and dude's pulling at each other's helmets; but someone swinging a helmet is nearly unheard of.

How can you 'guarantee' that?

watch the replay a few times and you tell me he’s not swinging that helmet to cause harm.

Back