Not sure if that was to my comment or not....if it was, I’m not justifying anything. Dude needs to be suspended for the season. That was crazy and assault.

But to act like Rudolph was 1000% innocent in everything is just as crazy. He needs to sit a game or two as well, and the videos show it.

No place for Garrett ending it the way he did, but the him being the only guilty party in any way shape or form is pretty hilarious.

Not at all. I was typing when your comment was made. I dont think Rudolph was innocent. In fact I think he played as dirty as Garrett has with the late hit. Possibly worse.
I believe he should be fined which would be fairly consistent for his type of after play action.

I dont in any way shape or form think any sort of "well he started it" brings this though that is all over social media by fans. This kid has such a bright future, but that was one of the worst things I have seen on a field. The entire league should be thankful that Rudolph didn't lose his entire career last night, because to think of what the news would be about violence and other things had Garrett had better aim when he swung that helmet.

Not at all. I was typing when your comment was made. I dont think Rudolph was innocent. In fact I think he played as dirty as Garrett has with the late hit. Possibly worse.
I believe he should be fined which would be fairly consistent for his type of after play action.

I dont in any way shape or form think any sort of "well he started it" brings this though that is all over social media by fans. This kid has such a bright future, but that was one of the worst things I have seen on a field. The entire league should be thankful that Rudolph didn't lose his entire career last night, because to think of what the news would be about violence and other things had Garrett had better aim when he swung that helmet.
To be fair Rudolph is losing his career on his own with four picks, hehe, too soon?

It was dirty. Anyone who justifies anything else is crazy. Dirty play that ended in flat out assault and a baaaaaaad look for the NFL with it being a prime time fox game. Hammer will be dropped.

I'm super surprised there is literally any sort of justification for this. The Delanie Walker punch was fine, it happens. The Simian hit you could maybe make the case it was all part of quick action, despite being pretty late. This was downright disgusting.

And people think its acceptable because he was kicked? WTF? That was up there with the worst in the history of the game and a total embarrassment by a young and rising star that absolutely lost control. His own coaches know it. His teammates have said it. He could have ended a career instantly and possibly worse.

It's a violent and still beautiful game, and sadly events like this have to take place. There were a LOT of helmet to helmet hits last night, but I thought both teams showed decent restraint at times. This was a total embarrassment and he should absolutely be gone.

I agree. I am disgusted by it. It hurts his reputation and brand and will take some time to recover from it especially when other nfl players on twitter bashing him.

He is remorseful about it because it isn’t like him to do that. He’s a great guy off the field. Regardless, He’ll need to face the consequences of his actions. He needs to be suspended for season and move on and rebuild back up.

12/1 will be an interesting game as the browns plays them again. Just hope they don’t target baker.

I'm super surprised there is literally any sort of justification for this. The Delanie Walker punch was fine, it happens. The Simian hit you could maybe make the case it was all part of quick action, despite being pretty late. This was downright disgusting.

And people think its acceptable because he was kicked? WTF? That was up there with the worst in the history of the game and a total embarrassment by a young and rising star that absolutely lost control. His own coaches know it. His teammates have said it. He could have ended a career instantly and possibly worse.

It's a violent and still beautiful game, and sadly events like this have to take place. There were a LOT of helmet to helmet hits last night, but I thought both teams showed decent restraint at times. This was a total embarrassment and he should absolutely be gone.

I think the bigger thing being lost in this one is there were less than 10 seconds left in the game, Cleveland is up by 2 scores, why are you blitzing/applying pressure there anyway??? I think this is the decision that is getting overlooked that put all of this into play. It caused Garrett to do his job and get after the QB. Garrett took it too far & was "extending" the play after the ball was gone and we all saw what ensued. I think Garrett is lucky Rudolph ducked out of the way when he swung the helmet, otherwise that is a worse outcome based on how he connected.

Having played the game and having been in my fair share of "scuffles" on the field, it happens in a blur. The immediate instinct is to "protect your guys" regardless of who is right or wrong and deal with the consequences later. I'm not saying what anyone did was ok, but I get how this one can get ugly like it did.

- I think Rudolph gets a game or two. He's not innocent in this one (even if he felt he was defending himself)
- Garrett is done for the year and will face a hefty fine. If Haynesworth got 5 games for his stomp, this one gets a lot more.
- #65 for Cleveland is gone for a couple of games. He was away from the play and came back to get in the middle of it.
- Pouncy should get as big a suspension as Garrett. I get he is defending his QB, but you can't go in there swinging and kicking a guy on the ground being held down by another player.

In the end I get the passion this game produces and sometimes that is taken to the extreme like we saw last night. Throw in a rivalry game type of situation and it's a powder keg waiting to explode.

That was really ugly.
For a moment I though Vontaze Burfict snuck back into the league.

It is a division game with a long history, maltreatment of opposing quarterbacks isn’t unprecedented:

Last edited:
I think the bigger thing being lost in this one is there were less than 10 seconds left in the game, Cleveland is up by 2 scores, why are you blitzing/applying pressure there anyway??? I think this is the decision that is getting overlooked that put all of this into play. It caused Garrett to do his job and get after the QB. Garrett took it too far & was "extending" the play after the ball was gone and we all saw what ensued. I think Garrett is lucky Rudolph ducked out of the way when he swung the helmet, otherwise that is a worse outcome based on how he connected.

Having played the game and having been in my fair share of "scuffles" on the field, it happens in a blur. The immediate instinct is to "protect your guys" regardless of who is right or wrong and deal with the consequences later. I'm not saying what anyone did was ok, but I get how this one can get ugly like it did.

- I think Rudolph gets a game or two. He's not innocent in this one (even if he felt he was defending himself)
- Garrett is done for the year and will face a hefty fine. If Haynesworth got 5 games for his stomp, this one gets a lot more.
- #65 for Cleveland is gone for a couple of games. He was away from the play and came back to get in the middle of it.
- Pouncy should get as big a suspension as Garrett. I get he is defending his QB, but you can't go in there swinging and kicking a guy on the ground being held down by another player.

In the end I get the passion this game produces and sometimes that is taken to the extreme like we saw last night. Throw in a rivalry game type of situation and it's a powder keg waiting to explode.

While I agree about applying pressure, there are plenty of other teams that do it. I think you risk injury that way, but a perfect example is Billy B in New England that coaches hard for all 60 minutes. You dont see this happening here, but genuinely I can't stand that this is in any way on the coach. Yes they shouldnt have been applying pressure, but the coach didn't decide to rip a helmet off and try to end someones career.

Coaches in the current game end up as the scape goat every time players suck at life.

"Football's youth participation numbers are down partly because of the violent nature of the game."

"Hold my beer."
-Myles Garrett

"Mason Rudolph started it."
-Browns fans

"Can I claim Garrett off waivers"
-Jerry Jones

"He'ld look good playing for Belichick."
-Patriots fans

Ok, so I finally had a chance to see the whole thing and I agree with everyone here. Rudolph definitely has a lot of blame to take, but what Garrett did was completely inexcusable. I get tempers flare, emotions run high, but he could have killed him. On the flip side, Rudolph is a dumba** for running back into it, and while he doesn't "deserve" to be assaulted, he certainly isn't innocent in any of this. I personally don't have a huge problem with what Pouncey did. Maybe the kicking the guy while he is down part, but jumping in and protecting your "guy", I don't have a huge issue with it, but I don't condone it either if that even make sense.

The worst part of this whole thing is that the game was over, why not just let the clock run out? Now all of this happens for no good reason at all. Just a mess all the way around.

I don't see anywhere in the thread where anyone is condoning or justifying what Garrett did, fwiw.

Plenty of debate on severity of the action and suspension potential though.

Garrett stetted it with the late hit. - 0 Games

Rudolph escalates with a kick to the rocks. - 1 Game

Garrett goes full dumba** with the helmet. - 6 games

Pouncey goes full World Star - 3 games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I agree about applying pressure, there are plenty of other teams that do it. I think you risk injury that way, but a perfect example is Billy B in New England that coaches hard for all 60 minutes. You dont see this happening here, but genuinely I can't stand that this is in any way on the coach. Yes they shouldnt have been applying pressure, but the coach didn't decide to rip a helmet off and try to end someones career.

Coaches in the current game end up as the scape goat every time players suck at life.

Maybe I worded that poorly, I'm not saying it's on the coach. I agree you play hard to the whistle. What I am saying is that as a player you have to understand the situation at hand when the play was called and Garrett didn't factor that in. I need to go back and look at the play, but iirc he pressured from the outside and kept coming after the ball was gone. He had enough time to put his hands up or give Rudolph a good "pop" with his shoulder and be done with it. Wrapping him up and taking him to the ground was completely unnecessary & the catalyst for the rest.

I don't see anywhere in the thread where anyone is condoning or justifying what Garrett did, fwiw.

Plenty of debate on severity of the action and suspension potential though.

Check social media...Browns fans :oops:

Maybe I worded that poorly, I'm not saying it's on the coach. I agree you play hard to the whistle. What I am saying is that as a player you have to understand the situation at hand when the play was called and Garrett didn't factor that in. I need to go back and look at the play, but iirc he pressured from the outside and kept coming after the ball was gone. He had enough time to put his hands up or give Rudolph a good "pop" with his shoulder and be done with it. Wrapping him up and taking him to the ground was completely unnecessary & the catalyst for the rest.

Which FWIW, is the same thing that ended another QB's season earlier in the year by the same player.
He seems like a good guy, but this is the third time this year stupid **** has come up. This wrecking the other two, in terms of severity. Another stain on the league by players that should have never happened.

Which FWIW, is the same thing that ended another QB's season earlier in the year by the same player.
He seems like a good guy, but this is the third time this year stupid **** has come up. This wrecking the other two, in terms of severity. Another stain on the league by players that should have never happened.

I forgot about those plays. I am not going to say Garrett is a dirty player, but he has shown on a couple of occasions that he takes a play too far.

:confused2:

I have become fascinated with the suspension talk on a player swinging their helmet. First find was Anthony Reddick at UM back in 2006. Got four games for it.

Antonio Smith's might be the closest to this sample. Gets provoked big time, rips the helmet off, takes a big swing. I think I read he got two preseason games and one regular season game for this;

Antonio Smith's might be the closest to this sample. Gets provoked big time, rips the helmet off, takes a big swing. I think I read he got two preseason games and one regular season game for this;

I remember that one.
Very different league 6-7 years ago.

Back