2019 Odyssey EXO Putters Thread

I checked a Rossie at the pro shop this evening and it looked identical to mine (font, spacing, placing, etc). I'm pretty sure mine is genuine.

After 9 holes I'm neutral on the Marxman, but I'm obviously still getting used to it. I had 18 putts, with two 3-putts. One 3-putt was due to a bad miss-hit on the first putt. It was my first long putt of the day and I wussed out. The last 3-putt was on the 9th hole and it was multi-level and I was annoyed at my route to the green (topped 3-wood, hybrid into a bunker, thinned PW past the green, duffed chip from awful lie, chip that rolled waaaaay past the hole to the lower tier) so I just didn't care at that point. I had a few putts lip out or just miss, so hopefully those will start falling as I get used to it. I've used a blade my entire golfing career so this is a pretty big change for me.

All that said, the putter is absolutely beautiful.

It took me a round or 2 to start to get adjusted to my Marxman, but I love it now. Hey, look at the bright side, if it doesn’t work out you’ll at least be able to recoup your investment with the deal you got.

This cool little thing came in today...
5cc615089f1a224925894b6054a3f98a.jpg

Although I’m (jokingly) unsure of which putter I have...
3f03b3bc971c572770d7d59ef511677b.jpg
Mine said Rossie as well. And that magnet is terrible.

It took me a round or 2 to start to get adjusted to my Marxman, but I love it now. Hey, look at the bright side, if it doesn’t work out you’ll at least be able to recoup your investment with the deal you got.
Yeah, I'm looking forward to getting more rounds on it. The potential is definitely there.

With the rain yesterday, today, and possibly tomorrow, makes me leaning towards using the EXO in tomorrow's hopeful round! Played so well with the SL last time out, but really need to put the EXO through the test all 18 holes. Gonna be that guy and bring both to the practice green though just to see how it rolls, but EXO is on the lead right now due to lack of on course use.

I'm gonna call myself out along with pat myself on the back. I intended to use both putters before we teed off, but got to the green with 15 mins before our time, so I decided no matter what I would just use the EXO, even though I was planning on bringing both to the green. It was a really hot day and thankfully the rain for the day held off until after we finished playing so I was really thinking maybe SL was the better play. BUT I never used the EXO for a full round and made myself focus on that. The practice green was really fast and I honestly didn't putt well at all, so was tempted to switch out right before, but kept with the EXO.

Smart move on my part! I think the speed of the practice green forced myself to just be smoother and slower on each putt during the round. Made a 5 footer to save par on 1, and left a 15 footer a foot short on 2 for another par. Those 2 holes right away gave me such great confidence for the rest of the round. If you read my posts from the Epic Flash Driver and Fairway Wood threads, you'll see off the tee I wasn't amazing and had a lot of OB shots, so I was happy to just get the ball on the green knowing 2 putts were almost automatic. Had a variety of chips that left me with some gimmies or 2-3 footers that I made, and I think I only 3 putted once but honestly can't recall. Very happy with the roll of the EXO and wasn't worried that I would hit a few putts well past the hole, and I think messing up on the practice green so much calmed my hands down. Both putters coming with me for the next round, so I don't know if I will just pick one or actually try both on the practice green. Seems like either option works great for me right now, and that's a fun feeling to have!!

How many holes do you give a putter before you give up on it? I'm not sure if it's the Marxman head itself or mallets in general, but I'm not having a good time 36 holes in to this relationship. If things don't get better this weekend I may be throwing this thing up on the BST forum.

How many holes do you give a putter before you give up on it? I'm not sure if it's the Marxman head itself or mallets in general, but I'm not having a good time 36 holes in to this relationship. If things don't get better this weekend I may be throwing this thing up on the BST forum.

What is the issue? Speed? Missing your lines? Just can’t get comfortable over the head shape at address?

For me it depends on why I feel like I'm not making putts. If its a speed thing, I think time just makes that better for me. But if its about notting getting the ball on my intended line consistently, I tend to move on pretty quickly. Say 3-5 rounds.

For me it depends on why I feel like I'm not making putts. If its a speed thing, I think time just makes that better for me. But if its about notting getting the ball on my intended line consistently, I tend to move on pretty quickly. Say 3-5 rounds.

this for me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What is the issue? Speed? Missing your lines? Just can’t get comfortable over the head shape at address?

Little bit of this, little bit of that. I don't mind the look at address, I actually like it a lot. But for some reason I'm miss hitting this thing more often than my Anser blade. I'm also catching the turf a lot more often with the mallet. I am barely missing a lot of easy putts (they just aren't dropping for me), but I'm actually 3-putting as much, or more often, than I was with the Anser. Even with my SBSF stroke, I'm seeing no improvement with a face-balanced mallet over my toe-hang blade. I had 20 putts at league last night, zero 1-putts and two 3-putts.

I'm playing 18 tomorrow morning, so we'll see how that goes. If it's another rough day I may be selling this one and looking for a face-balanced blade. I will actually probably go to Club Champion and get a proper putter fitting.

Little bit of this, little bit of that. I don't mind the look at address, I actually like it a lot. But for some reason I'm miss hitting this thing more often than my Anser blade. I'm also catching the turf a lot more often with the mallet. I am barely missing a lot of easy putts (they just aren't dropping for me), but I'm actually 3-putting as much, or more often, than I was with the Anser. Even with my SBSF stroke, I'm seeing no improvement with a face-balanced mallet over my toe-hang blade. I had 20 putts at league last night, zero 1-putts and two 3-putts.

I'm playing 18 tomorrow morning, so we'll see how that goes. If it's another rough day I may be selling this one and looking for a face-balanced blade. I will actually probably go to Club Champion and get a proper putter fitting.

Gotcha.

Remember we all putt on some sort of an arc no matter how SBST we think our stroke is. My fitting at club champion was one of the best things I ever did. It opened my eyes to a lot of my set up and stroke.

With your current putting issues It could be something as simple as set up and where your eyes are over the ball at address. With the blade you might be set up slightly differently than with the mallet and that can mean making one putts or burning edges. Hit the practice green and try to work it out if you have time.

Im 100% on board in putting with what makes you confortable. If that’s a blade then find a blade, but play with the set up and see if the Marxman can’t “wake up” for you

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to hit the practice green tonight and put in some work with the Marxman. Any particular drills you would suggest? I was thinking of one I saw in a video on Twitter with Gary Woodland yesterday. Setup 8 balls from 4-8' and keep going until you can make all 8 in a row. If you miss, you start over.

If you have access to a putting mirror that would be ideal. Subconsciously you might be setting up over the ball with the Marxman versus eyes slightly behind or not as “over” the ball with the blade.

If you don’t have a mirror just try to mimics your putting routine with each putter and pick out the differences. Quality over quantity putting imo.

Are the lie and loft of the two putters the same? A little off between the two on either (or both) could make a difference in the results you're getting.

Looking at what you posted it really sound like the toe hang of the putter and your natural swing arc don’t match. If you are unconsciously fitting the arc type that is needed for the putters toe hang you would find your stroke very inconsistent.

The fitting is probably the best thing for you. You will find out exactly what type of hinge and toe hang is best for your natural swing. Then you can look at the club heads in the correct arc that works best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if I don't like the way it sets up or sounds I am out very quickly. I have an EVNRoll that I hated the sound of, added some weight and improved it, then I got on the strokelab train and haven't looked back.

Distance control I figure is on me, if I am missing left right I check alignment and my arc. I tend to get way to big of an arc and that leads to pushes and pulls... not great. Bust out the mirror and a gate (I have a couple sets but tees will work just as well) about 18" ahead of where I am starting. That lets me see if I am missing one way or the other, and if I can't correct that on my own (I am only doing any of this if I like the putter) then I am moving on in probably 3-4 rounds and a several practice sessions.

Practiced quite a bit tonight. Worked on setup and grip, and, I think, made some positive progress. Ball striking was consistently better than it has been. I'll be happy to get out in 34 putts or better tomorrow.

Practiced quite a bit tonight. Worked on setup and grip, and, I think, made some positive progress. Ball striking was consistently better than it has been. I'll be happy to get out in 34 putts or better tomorrow.
It took me quite a few rounds to get the marxman going also. For me it was getting my tempo adjusted to the stroke lab and then I started making alot more putts and burning alot of edges. Once I got some confidence I started rolling it better and better. That being said I still may go try the face balanced model out just to see the difference. When I tested in the winter the S version was the clear winner but it didn't translate to the course for my early rounds.

I think you're on the right track getting fit to make sure you have the right type of model for your stroke. I really need to do this also and hopefully will be able too in the near future.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Had the double bend 2ball out for 9 holes today.

18 putts (officially) I’m feeling better about this one overall. It definitely seems to send the ball off the face a little hotter than the SL 2-ball. This one also feels a little more open at address and seems to work well for my stroke. I like to aim at the left side of the cup and as long as I do that well, I’m hitting the cup or my line very well with this. It’s a little different than the SL version for me, but with a minor adjustment it’s going to be ok I think. I’m going to keep it in my bag for a while.

Well, I scrambled my butt off and ended up with my best score (88) and only 31 putts. The Marxman lives to play another round.

Had a great 9 holes with the SL Exo Marxman today. So easy to line up and I think it feels a little hotter off the face to me than the regular SL Marxman. I switched to my Toulon Vegas for the 2nd nine, and that face felt hotter still. Just really liking both putters right now.

Re-gripped my EXO with a GP tour snsr today. It’ll be a couple days before I get test it out. I left the weight in there, the new grip is 20g heavier than the old, I don’t notice a difference in balance or feel, as always the real test will be on the course.

Re-gripped my EXO with a GP tour snsr today. It’ll be a couple days before I get test it out. I left the weight in there, the new grip is 20g heavier than the old, I don’t notice a difference in balance or feel, as always the real test will be on the course.

Ooooh nice, looking forward to hearing how this goes.

Worked on 10 footers last night with having the ball die about a foot or two near the hole. First few flew past where I think the SL 7S would have been fine since it’s face isn’t as hot but quick adjustment and all was good. On the fence with tomorrow’s round but thinking of giving this putter another round again before trying the SL again.

Exo twoball looks nice, better alignment than the old silver and white ones.

Back