2019 PGA Tour Player of the Year?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Who ya got and why?

I think no obvious "player of the year" for 2019.

The emotional pick is Tiger

The what have you done for me lately pick goes to Rory

The lever gets pulled for Brooks, though.

It’s honestly a tough call for me...if your looking at Major Wins Brooks is the clear cut choice...PGA Championship along with another handful of wins (WGC, CJ Cup). Guy is just steady as a rock and was in contention in the other Majors as well.

Rory is close second, followed by Xander.

Rory has 13 top 10s in 18 events.
Koepka has 8 top 10s in 20 events.

Yeah, Brooks has an extra win, but I'll take the guy who played better more consistently. Also, a Players and a Tour Championship impresses me more than a Major and two other lower tier wins.

Canadan;n8889774 said:

Yeah, Brooks has an extra win, but I'll take the guy who played better more consistently. Also, a Players and a Tour Championship impresses me more than a Major and two other lower tier wins.

I agree with you wholeheartedly but feel the voting will go in favor of Koepka. Do I want him to be named POTY? Nope. I’d take Rory all day.

• Admin
Canadan;n8889774 said:

Do you think a WGC is a lower tier win?

I feel like the correct choice is Rory even thought I think it'll be Koepka.

I think Rory with his win today sealed the deal.

JB;n8889806 said:
Do you think a WGC is a lower tier win?

I think that Majors, Tour Champ, and Players are tops and everything else is lower. Just a basic perspective.

The bigger sell for me is the consistent top 10s.

I agree it’s a two horse race. But I have to give the edge to Koepka.

Majors
Rory. T21, T8, T9, MC
Brooks. T2, WIN, 2, T4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MonroeBob1955;n8889842 said:
I agree it’s a two horse race. But I have to give the edge to Koepka.

Majors
Rory. T21, T8, T9, MC
Brooks. T2, WIN, 2, T4

Should some of them even be relevant to "PGA Tour" player of the year?

Take away the Majors, Koepka only made the top 10 four times. That's rough.

Canadan;n8889774 said:

Both have 3 wins.

I think Brooks will get it due to his Major performance although I’d rather it be Rory (big fan). Second choice would be Tiger but unfortunately one tournament doesn’t determine POY.

Koepka must shade it as in a tight race, Majors trump any other wins.

Bucketsofjoy;n8889743 said:
The emotional pick is Tiger

The what have you done for me lately pick goes to Rory

The lever gets pulled for Brooks, though.

That's pretty accurate, though, even as the biggest Tiger fan in the world, I still don't see him as POTY this year. Definitely Comeback POTY, but not overall.

Canadan;n8890508 said:
Oh wow, I forgot about the RBC.

Point/set/match.

And if it does matter, Rory won that by 7 strokes. He dominated that field.

Koepka had the better record in the majors, but Rory had the better overall year, I’d give it to Rory but I’m sure the vote will be close.

I don't think either Koepka or Rory would be bad choices.

My vote is Koepka. I just like his steely eyed determination better. Either is a good choice, imho.

millsan1;n8890539 said:
I don't think either Koepka or Rory would be bad choices.

My vote is Koepka. I just like his steely eyed determination better. Either is a good choice, imho.

If you follow twitter all that much, there's been conversation all year surrounding his obsession over majors, and total lack of interest in everything else.

It's been an interesting follow.

I'm in the Koepka camp right now, but could be swayed. 3 wins, with 1 being a Major and 1 being a WGC. Then come with 3 runner ups with 2 of those coming at the majors, and being in top 4 of all majors for the year. Also taking the money title for the season. I go Koepka.

ddec;n8890640 said:
I'm in the Koepka camp right now, but could be swayed. 3 wins, with 1 being a Major and 1 being a WGC. Then come with 3 runner ups with 2 of those coming at the majors, and being in top 4 of all majors for the year. Also taking the money title for the season. I go Koepka.

On the top end it's strong. Only having four other top 10s though? Feels a bit soft.

As a Rory fanboy I don't think I can be impartial here. Koepka's performance in the Majors is indisputable, but Rory's been on the front page of the leaderboard all year long. I personally don't value the FedEx Cup all that much but The Players is just as hard to win as a Major, maybe even harder than some Majors.
There's no wrong choice, but I give it to Rors.

I'm about as big of a Rory fan as there is, but it has to go to Brooks this year. He has 9 finishes of top 4 or better this year, which is even better than Rory. Brooks was in contention at every single major this year, he was one shot away from being in a playoff with Tiger at Augusta and only Woodland beat him at the US Open. Rory was more consistent throughout the year, but Brooks was the better player in the biggest events of the year.

Back