Tour Event 2019 Presidents Cup

Loving Royal Melbourne. Someone described it as links golf that requires Augusta level strategy. US team needs to better play what the course offers. They can’t power it into submission. Internationals played great team golf and made the putts. I hope Fowler and Kuchar play today; they can both putt. ;)

Is Webb the only one who will play with Reed? haha

I like the Rickie and Woodland pairing today

Also the announcers kept saying that Hadwin was on the team specifically for his putting. If thats the case Tiger should take note Rickie should never sit the rest of the weekend and DJ should be benched haha

Todays Pairings

Dustin Johnson and Matt KucharLouis Oosthuizen and Adam Scott7:02 p.m.
Patrick Cantlay and Xander SchauffeleAdam Hadwin and Joaquin Niemann7:15 p.m.
Patrick Reed and Webb SimpsonMarc Leishman and Abraham Ancer7:28 p.m.
Tiger Woods and Justin ThomasHideki Matsuyama and Ben An7:41 p.m.
Gary Woodland and Rickie FowlerSungjae Im and Cam Smith7:54 p.m.

Today will be better, right?

Alt shot, only has to putt half the time

haha it's true, first group is big though and US needs some energy. As much as I hate to say it, Reed should have maybe been out first today. He's a grinder and I think some of the guys need to see that.

Is Webb the only one who will play with Reed? haha

I like the Rickie and Woodland pairing today

Also the announcers kept saying that Hadwin was on the team specifically for his putting. If thats the case Tiger should take note Rickie should never sit the rest of the weekend and DJ should be benched haha
I will keep saying this every team event we have...

Should have brought Kisner. We are too enamored with ballstriking when selecting players for these events. The pressure in these events is always on when it comes time to chip and putt. How far you hit off the tee matters 1/2 as much in a match as it does in stroke play and performance around the green matters twice as much at least.

We need to come up with statistics for match play. Strokes gained is a great stat to determine who the best stroke play player is, but I don't think it is nearly as effective at picking players who are good at match play.

Today will be better, right?

I sure hope so. I have to admit I really enjoyed watching this yesterday. Not only is it the first golf I've watched in months, something about the team aspect is really fun.

I sure hope so. I have to admit I really enjoyed watching this yesterday. Not only is it the first golf I've watched in months, something about the team aspect is really fun.
I could only catch about 45 minutes yesterday during dinner (I love saying that) but I’m going to try to catch a replay this weekend or tomorrow

Todays Pairings

Dustin Johnson and Matt KucharLouis Oosthuizen and Adam Scott7:02 p.m.
Patrick Cantlay and Xander SchauffeleAdam Hadwin and Joaquin Niemann7:15 p.m.
Patrick Reed and Webb SimpsonMarc Leishman and Abraham Ancer7:28 p.m.
Tiger Woods and Justin ThomasHideki Matsuyama and Ben An7:41 p.m.
Gary Woodland and Rickie FowlerSungjae Im and Cam Smith7:54 p.m.

Odds for day 2. I’m not very versed in what those numbers mean but I don’t have a good feeling, except for Big Cat and JT.

So much for my prediction of 3-1 the Americans after day 1. I watched a lot of it and think they will do better today.

Not to mention the course is an event in its own right.

I like Tiger sending DJ out first... Vote of Confidence...

Same here. watched wire to wire. Tiger was awesome, but the Internationals were the better team. I like DJ with Kuchar and Woodland with Fowler. Beef boy can go spend the day in an all-you-can-eat buffet. :sneaky:

It was so great to watch golf in primetime yesterday!

Should have brought Kisner. We are too enamored with ballstriking when selecting players for these events. The pressure in these events is always on when it comes time to chip and putt. How far you hit off the tee matters 1/2 as much in a match as it does in stroke play and performance around the green matters twice as much at least.

We need to come up with statistics for match play. Strokes gained is a great stat to determine who the best stroke play player is, but I don't think it is nearly as effective at picking players who are good at match play.
kisner.gif

Well last night didn't exactly go as planned, huh?

I'm a big fan of Kisner. I think he would've been a better pick than Finau and probably Reed. I think it is arguable on Woodland and Fowler.
I'd have picked him over reed for sure. I like Woodland and Fowler on the team. I understand it's golf and slightly more solo, but on these team events, chemistry is huge and everyone seems to like Kisner. Not sure the same can be said for Reed.

I'd have picked him over reed for sure. I like Woodland and Fowler on the team. I understand it's golf and slightly more solo, but on these team events, chemistry is huge and everyone seems to like Kisner. Not sure the same can be said for Reed.
I'd rather have Na on the team than Reed.

I agree that chipping-pitching-bunker play-putting should be top criteria for Captain's picks. For this team the picks were (Tiger-Reed-Woodland-Finau-Fowler). Of these 5 players I think Finau has the worst short game, including putting. So you would have selected Kisner instead of Finau ?

I'm with everyone else saying that Tiger should have picked Kisner. The guy is absolutely phenomenal at match play.

Overall, my impression from yesterday was that the International team made way more putts than we did, particularly in that 8-12 foot range. I love Tony Finau and DJ, but man did they hit some awful putts. That 3-foot eagle putt of DJ's barely touched the hole and I remember Finau hitting about a 12 foot birdie putt that must have missed by 2 feet. Gary Woodland wasn't really any better. And Bryson should be on the bench as often as the rules allow. He seemed like he was in his pocket more often than not.

They did say that the greens are running around 14-15 on the stimpmeter.

I'm with everyone else saying that Tiger should have picked Kisner. The guy is absolutely phenomenal at match play.

Overall, my impression from yesterday was that the International team made way more putts than we did, particularly in that 8-12 foot range. I love Tony Finau and DJ, but man did they hit some awful putts. That 3-foot eagle putt of DJ's barely touched the hole and I remember Finau hitting about a 12 foot birdie putt that must have missed by 2 feet. Gary Woodland wasn't really any better. And Bryson should be on the bench as often as the rules allow. He seemed like he was in his pocket more often than not.

Couldn't agree more with the bolded. He looked terrible out there

1-2 so far in President Cup picks! Looks like Tiger is the only person that showed up this week! Zander and Captain America let me down, so for right now, we go back to ole faithful..... Give me Tiger or give me Death!

Tiger & JT (-181)

Back