2019 TaylorMade P790 Irons Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Great write up Gary!!!

Good review Molten. This is a case where ai think small tweaks were probably all that was wanted. Looks like Callaway with the Apex and TM here are both looking at ways to solve that odd flyer.

I wonder if the sizing and offset differences help to differentiate it from the M3/M5 lines, this one looking to appeal to slightly better golfers? Always thought the line between them was a bit blurry.

Good stuff dude

Your review was extremely well written, with insightful content. Thanks, Molten!

I kind of like the subtle changes to the lineup. They obviously had great success in their original form, and this allows TaylorMade to keep them in line with minimal changes.

One thing I hope they accomplished was just refining the design. Small improvements to sound (aka feedback) and ball speed consistency across the face will go a long way to keeping these relevant for the next year.

I would love to see a comparison between these and the Hot Metal Pros.

I enjoyed reading the review. The more consistent distance tweaks to the face make this iteration appealing. I hope I can find an opportunity to take a few swings with the updated P790. Very interesting irons.

That was an enjoyable read. I only took a few swings with the original and I know that issue toward the bottom was a big deal to many. Guys seemed to like the longer irons toward the top better and it sounds like they really tried to fix that. They look clean and perform no doubt I will be taking a few swings for sure.

obedt;n8899497 said:
Good review Molten. This is a case where ai think small tweaks were probably all that was wanted. Looks like Callaway with the Apex and TM here are both looking at ways to solve that odd flyer.

I wonder if the sizing and offset differences help to differentiate it from the M3/M5 lines, this one looking to appeal to slightly better golfers? Always thought the line between them was a bit blurry.

Good stuff dude

I think the appeal of the P790 isn't really just better golfers, but maybe more consistent ball strikers. They pack a lot of help into the package.

jdtox;n8899639 said:
That was an enjoyable read. I only took a few swings with the original and I know that issue toward the bottom was a big deal to many. Guys seemed to like the longer irons toward the top better and it sounds like they really tried to fix that. They look clean and perform no doubt I will be taking a few swings for sure.

In a few weeks of testing, I only saw one shot that had be scratching my head on the distance. But it was a par three, on a tee, a windy day, and a hole where the wind swirls and plays tricks. So I'm not exactly holding that one against the club until I see it again.

And indoors, I hit the short irons hundreds of times and didn't see anything out of the realm of acceptable as a 9 handicap. And those spin numbers are perfect for me. Perfect.

Awesome review Molten!

The increased speed, continued forgiveness and better launch than the originals definitely has me intrigued by these. Looking forward to testing them soon.

This needs a big bump. Small but meaningful changes worth a read. And more importantly a hit in the bay. I honestly love the new 790s - something I didn’t expect.

i would be surprised if these were really popular again. Too good not to be.

Nice review and very informative!

A little update to those who are following these irons. I didn’t put it in the review but I’m impressed by the “forgiveness” low on the face. I had a few thin shots recently that could have gone any distance but they stayed +/- 5 yards of the intended distance. They come out low but they seem to end up just fine

Taylormade P790 IRONS

Shafts: :TrueTemper: DG105 S300 w/ VSS

Grip: Stock GP

Makeup: 4i-PW

I hit 6 shots on the range with these irons - specifically the 6i. The first five shots, I felt were really harsh. the 6th shot less harsh.

After the range experience, I had no interest in trying them on course.

I do think the decision to pair :TrueTemper: DG105 with VSS with the heads was very wise. I can't imagine the feel on mishits from a different shaft that doesn't have the Vibration Suppression System in there. The shaft/head pairing give a low mid flight off the tee in the longer irons, mid flight in the mid irons and mid/mid high in the short irons for me. No issues loading the shaft and it is neither too whippy or too stiff, just right actually.

I did get the chance to try these a few times on course during the Sunday round and I have to soften my stance on them. I wouldn't call them overly harsh, I just did not enjoy the feel of them compared to other HB options that were in attendance for the weekend.

Hit these on a few holes, probably 8-10 shots total long irons and mid irons, and scoring irons The head is a great looking head, definitely improved from the OG iteration from a couple of years ago.

For a HB club, distance wasn't as great as some of the others that I tried, probably 1/2 to a full club shorter. Good turf interaction from both fairway and rough though. Had a few shots in some deep rough and no issues, head moved through nicely.

Miss with these were left.

Feel of a club is deeply personal and they just didn't do it for me. I think these, based on looks and compared to the older version these are an improvement. Also to clarify, I think these feel and sound better than the OG version of the P790s.

1D8EEACD-6688-4E86-A0A6-23FC6AC46B9C.jpeg13D0B99A-FADE-4F1E-988C-A757B48E92B9.jpeg490BFF40-893F-445C-B5FE-3D41BAAB3567.jpegAEAF9C6A-4A27-4949-BCE6-3E8D19D2E429.jpeg

Last edited:
so these are irons i chose when it came to my turn to pick at the True Temper Ultimate Weekend of golf. These have the S300 DG105 shaft with VSS....I got out this past Saturday morning with my normal Men's group. O why not take out a new set of irons, Right?

These are a club to a club and half shorter than what my usual yardage would have been. They are shorter shafts as i generally have more made up1" over standard, and i play midsize grips. That being said, I hit my current 7 iron 165 and i was pulling the 7 in this set at 150. There were few thin shots but the VSS held the stabilization down to a minimum.

After a couple of holes adjustment, i did not hit balls before going out to play as we had a 0715 tee time, just s few putts and then headed to the first tee. I set off with the same mentality that OITW and i Used at the event, take a long iron off the tee box for most holes, 5 fives excepted. and then hit a short iron in. I was hitting from a 6 iron down to most holes.

I was very surprised once i adapted to the length and yardage....few pars and a couple of bogeys early but i had 4 birdies for the day....!
the response of the irons are phenomenal after an adjustment period. As i said the have the DG 105's in them and I play KBS Tour 110's in my normal but i also have a set of irons with the KBS Tour V shafts and they are a Club shorter then my C-tapers. Adjustment .....

One thing one of my normal Playing Partners said, once you played a few holes, you were hitting everything pin high, might have been little left or right, but the yardages were there.

These are awesome irons and very responsive and the main thing i had to remember was, i take a divot, these look like you should sweep the ball from the turf, once i started my normal angle of attack and compressing the ball between the club and the ground, it all fell into place and i realized how good these irons are.....

Is there a thread for the P790 TI ?

i hit the P790 today. 7i with DG 120 S400 shaft. Very nice. Nice flight. ~5000-5300 spin. I do lose about 800-1000 rpm vs my current irons, but the high flight would probably hold greens well enough. Forgiving but still has a sense of impact control.

i hit the P790 today. 7i with DG 120 S400 shaft. Very nice. Nice flight. ~5000-5300 spin. I do lose about 800-1000 rpm vs my current irons, but the high flight would probably hold greens well enough. Forgiving but still has a sense of impact control.

What are your current irons?

surprised so few posts in here

Mizuno MP-18 MMC.

Among distance irons -- I have been hitting everything I can -- these are my favorite so far. i500 were nice too but the sound was too harsh. These felt and sounded very good. I didn't expect to like the P790, so this was a pleasant surprise.

Having hit a lot of this years irons, I agree that these are on the low side but still really, really playable.

I think the reboot hasn’t gained much attention because not enough changed and other companies are putting out some great stuff. I still think these are being slept on a bit.

I think the reboot hasn’t gained much attention because not enough changed and other companies are putting out some great stuff. I still think these are being slept on a bit.

Loved the stock shaft offering for these

Back