2019 TaylorMade P790 Irons Review

I think the reboot hasn’t gained much attention because not enough changed and other companies are putting out some great stuff. I still think these are being slept on a bit.

I’m struggling to think how the originals could have been improved. These are still the perfect irons for me. Look great and perform superb.
I consider myself a low spin player, and have absolutely no problem whatsoever holding greens with these clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely helped to improve the feel of these
I don’t know about all that but it helps my wrist so, so much.

Definitely helped to improve the feel of these

I was super shocked at how these were received feel wise, when hit side by side with so many other irons at the True Temper event. Also how well the Cobra and a few others in the same class were received.

I was super shocked at how these were received feel wise, when hit side by side with so many other irons at the True Temper event. Also how well the Cobra and a few others in the same class were received.
I think the Cobras were the #1 pick for a lot of guys. I wound up hitting them on the back Sunday and saw what all the event-hype was about. Didn't really consider the TMs. :sneaky:

I think the Cobras were the #1 pick for a lot of guys. I wound up hitting them on the back Sunday and saw what all the event-hype was about. Didn't really consider the TMs. :sneaky:

I think it goes to show just how many great iron sets are out there right now because these are still well liked, they were just options that people thought felt better and performed just as good

I think it goes to show just how many great iron sets are out there right now because these are still well liked, they were just options that people thought felt better and performed just as good
I’d be interested in getting thoughts of the HMB, P790, and Forged Tec rankings for sound/feel. I’ve heard mixed but P790 seems to always be not first.

Options are great

I’d be interested in getting thoughts of the HMB, P790, and Forged Tec rankings for sound/feel. I’ve heard mixed but P790 seems to always be not first.

I have also hit the HMB (outdoors) but can't recall it well enough to compare. I do remember thinking it sounded really good. At the time I couldn't tell much difference from the standard MP-20. i500 is another very playable option in this category, but the sound was harsh to my ears. I would enjoy trying the Forged Tec. Among my local golf club "drug dealers" no Cobra. When I do my fitting -- getting closer -- I will make sure I hit the p790 to compare numbers. Solid club.

I have a set of 2020 P790's that will delivered on Friday. They have the Recoil SmacWrap F3's in them. So excited to be getting back to TM clubs.

ece62eb46d418b228eb884d61a9685c8.jpg

5a92e600654c1c707ac95c07f940cda8.jpg

f2ae043abba640a8af29dc90d75e4503.jpg

Delivered yesterday. Won’t be hitting them till I get my midsize grips installed.

Got the right grips installed last night. MCC +4 midsize in blue/black.

e72a56426ea57c5f14e96434ee2d604b.jpg

Got the right grips installed last night. MCC +4 midsize in blue/black.

e72a56426ea57c5f14e96434ee2d604b.jpg

Great looking setup! I was fitted by Club Champion into 790’s last summer and love them. I’m 52, 6’4” with good sized mitts and hit them great with some adjustments. Mine have Aerotech Steelfiber 110’s, +1” longer and 1* flat. My neighbors 15 yo son who is also 6’4” was just fit into these last week at another local fitter. This kid puts everyone to shame and is one hell of a golfer.
I was told that he was fitted into a 130 gram shaft +1” long and 2* flat. He is consistently hitting his 7 iron 200 yards.

got out yesterday to play. I didn't have much success with the P790's. However, I didn't have any success with any of my clubs. LOL Guess I excited or what not to have the new irons out. Will definitely need some range time. I did notice the 1/2" short. that will take some adjustment. But with anything new, it will take time. Looking forward to getting these dialed in. There is definitely potential there.

Got out again yesterday. And I have to say... These irons are awesome. It seems as if I'm starting to get the hang of these. The turf interaction is awesome. Was in the rough and the club just cuts through like it's on the fairway. Flight is nice mid to high. Normally my 8i would be my 140 club. But I hit quite a few greens from 155 out with the P790 8i. Seems like the ball just pops off the face. I didn't have any fat shots with them. Would that be because they are 1/2" shorter? The Recoil SmacWrap F3's feel a lot like the PX 5.5 graphites. Anyone else have the same thought? I can't wait to get out again on Weds with them. Am really looking forward to getting the new Sim2 Driver, 3W, 5W and 3H that I have on order. April 3rd can't come soon enough. More to come on these irons for sure.

I know I've posted about the P790 UDI before but couldn't find the thread. So I will bump an old thread.

The 2019 P790 UDI 2I still continues to be my giddy club. Every time I pull it from the bag I have the thought that this is going to be good. If I put a good swing on it of course, but that's on me.

Had the opportunity yesterday last night on an approach to a long Par5. Didn't even think about it, just pulled the club and gave it a go. Just smiled as it took off and then gasped as I forgot about the left to right side wind:D. Pin high but to the right of the green as the wind took it 15 yards offline. If I had remembered to adjust for that, it could have been a look a big feathers.

Instead it ended up in the tall stuff and I popped it over the green going the other way and ended up with a double:beat-up:. The club did it's job...I did not.

Such a great club any and everywhere!

Has anyone ever seen a set of the P790 Ti irons in the wild? Just saw a picture of them online and completely forgot about them.

Back