LIVE UPDATE THREAD 2019 The Grandaddy with Callaway Golf

Thanks to a crazy day of work and dinner with my wife I've missed out all day but finally caught up. It was so much fun following along from three very beginning and see this transformation of a group of individuals that turned in to a close knit team and also went from wide eyed excitement to absolutely understanding what The Grandaddy really is about. You guys Grandaddied the right way, made us fall in love with the team and made the forum proud. Well done every one of you.

and we were insanely happy to learn of its return! so, who wants to get in?

Well yeah, but there are 12 THPer's that need to experience the perfection that is The Grandaddy for the first time. If someone says no they may need to take up a new sport.

i’m in an airplane, going the wrong direction because california is farther away by the second. i have tears in my eyes reading your words.

i love this site, forum and community. so much. i’ve seen what it does for people. forming bonds of brotherhood. giving perspective when it is needed most. and changing lives for the better.

i am so happy that the passion our team has, and the deep appreciation and gratitude we all feel to be blessed with this experience, translated for all following along. with everything we are, we thank you and the entire community for your support.
Look, you put up with me for almost 9 months, so those are tears of joy getting rid of me and my emotional attachment to this event.

You killed it dude. You did it your way, with your style and everyone bought into it. From the beginning I told you this is your team and I’m here to make sure you get to experience this event like a participant and not have the “captain” duties take away from your “participant” experience.

I hate the word deserve, but you deserve to be proud of what this team accomplished.

You two guys should be so proud of this team and I know the team is proud of their Captain and AssCap. You both killed it this year and were the perfect picks for those roles.

That shot was filthy ? I shot that number at 213 back left flagstick, uphill a club, decent rain while we waited forever for green to clear, wet fairway, slight hurt wind, hanging downslope lie with a fairway wood. Playing more than 223. I was standing up on the right hill with Mike thinking “If this gets 10 feet in the air, goes anywhere, and stays out of the right lake, it would be a tremendous shot”. How about a soaring 10 yard cut that lands soft and releases left to right towards that pin and settles in. Lars was already up on the green. When I got there to mark and clean it, I asked Lars, “What the hell was that???” ?? Pete had same shot a flat lie right after, I won’t say where his went ??‍♂️???
I used to be a member here on an old email. I made a new one to watch your vids and read the banter. What a great event you guys have going here. I have looped 100s of these team type events. They tend to be so corny and devolve into such petty tactics and 18hcp guys pulling out rule books on each other. Makes me want to walk back to my car and be done with it (especially in rain ha). This event was the perfect blend of relaxing fun, but with a real desire to be competitive and take each shot seriously. I’ve read this thread for about 3 hours now. Saw your speech at Al’s house and realized why you guys have so much respect for each other on the grass. Also, really cool to see the new products in action from guys with different swings and speeds. Some wedge shots in wet conditions were very impressive. From wet bunkers to thin wet fairways. Fairway woods had nice pop to them. Saw a few super hybrid shots from wet rough and off the tee that were very impressive from higher handicappers. Luckily, you all had new cool putters I could blame my bad reads on. “Must be your new putter cuz that one always goes left” ??‍♂️ My lips are sealed on the equipment, but cool stuff. Hope you enjoyed our tracks and thanks for taking care of us caddies. We appreciate the work. Lord knows the members weren’t gonna play in that crap weather Wednesday. You guys saved us.
Kekoa “K” ??

What an awesome post! Thank you very much for sharing that with us.

Not sure how the participants are feeling tonight.... I'm sure the travel home and the hype of the event have taken a toll, but I can honestly say I feel like I have a post-event hangover and I was just following along! Can't be overstated how great this follow was over the past 3+ days!

That shot was filthy ? I shot that number at 213 back left flagstick, uphill a club, decent rain while we waited forever for green to clear, wet fairway, slight hurt wind, hanging downslope lie with a fairway wood. Playing more than 223. I was standing up on the right hill with Mike thinking “If this gets 10 feet in the air, goes anywhere, and stays out of the right lake, it would be a tremendous shot”. How about a soaring 10 yard cut that lands soft and releases left to right towards that pin and settles in. Lars was already up on the green. When I got there to mark and clean it, I asked Lars, “What the hell was that???” ?? Pete had same shot a flat lie right after, I won’t say where his went ??‍♂️???
I used to be a member here on an old email. I made a new one to watch your vids and read the banter. What a great event you guys have going here. I have looped 100s of these team type events. They tend to be so corny and devolve into such petty tactics and 18hcp guys pulling out rule books on each other. Makes me want to walk back to my car and be done with it (especially in rain ha). This event was the perfect blend of relaxing fun, but with a real desire to be competitive and take each shot seriously. I’ve read this thread for about 3 hours now. Saw your speech at Al’s house and realized why you guys have so much respect for each other on the grass. Also, really cool to see the new products in action from guys with different swings and speeds. Some wedge shots in wet conditions were very impressive. From wet bunkers to thin wet fairways. Fairway woods had nice pop to them. Saw a few super hybrid shots from wet rough and off the tee that were very impressive from higher handicappers. Luckily, you all had new cool putters I could blame my bad reads on. “Must be your new putter cuz that one always goes left” ??‍♂️ My lips are sealed on the equipment, but cool stuff. Hope you enjoyed our tracks and thanks for taking care of us caddies. We appreciate the work. Lord knows the members weren’t gonna play in that crap weather Wednesday. You guys saved us.
Kekoa “K” ??

This was a REALLY fun read! Many thanks for sharing your perspective. Best!

This was a REALLY fun read! Many thanks for sharing your perspective. Best!
Man, everything about that place is awesome. Hosts were a blast to play with, the caddies were super chill, very helpful, and did a fantastic job of keeping the round nice and light.

I feel kind of bad because I am probably responsible for ruining a perfectly good pair of K's socks for as many times as he had to walk through the cabbage looking for my ball.

T4K,
Last night with the group before retiring upstairs I told them my thoughts on you and your team reinstating my love for this place and this event.

They did you proud
Loved reading this.

Oh we do, one of the things we hear and the hosts always talk about it. Helps to continue to make it possible.
It feels great getting it confirmed that the gratitude is evident to them.

From an NDA perspective, are you permitted to play these clubs prior to embargo being lifted? Reason I ask is what do you do if one of your playing partners sees them in the bag and asks about them, are you allowed to talk about them?
I think Jourdan already answered this, but I'll add that last year we were told we didn't have to try to hide anything (although non-stock head covers makes it pretty easy). We just couldn't say much about them if someone noticed them.

Kekoa “K” ??
What a fantastic story and post! Thanks for sharing! ?

Thanks for showing us around all day during singles! I know myself, @jeffneubarth, @TylerSheanCG, and @NoShanks don’t compare to your loop for “The Dream” but we hope you had an entertaining day!
I was entertained by your birdie on the par 3 6th on Dye. That right to left 20 footer breaks hard almost 2 feet. Snaps left at the hole wicked. Also, approach shot into 9th to 4 feet was big time. Have to really pinch an iron to get a ball to stop near that front left pin position. Good stuff!

Can I vote for an entire thread of K’s experiences and stories looping for the event? This is incredible. Thanks for jumping in, it’s an awesome read to hear your stories from an event like this.

@LaQuintaLooper thanks for the awesome posts. A looper named Cornbread was my forecaddie for the event a few years ago and I enjoyed those conversations as much as anything.

I just relived the entire 4 days with my family at dinner. They probably got bored around the time i got to telling them about leaving @j_sizzle9 at the hotel when we went to Al’s house for dinner, but they never told me to stop talking.

On the way home my wife looked at me and said “I get it now. I didn’t understand the first time what this meant to you, but I get it this time. Tell your friends thank you for recharging your soul”

She’ll never read this, but that meant the world to me. She held down my household, like I’m sure the 12 other wives did for my team, without skipping a beat. She allowed me to go experience paradise one more time and for that I’m eternally grateful.

I’ll take time gathering my thoughts and recap notes, but for now a simple thank you. Thank you to the 12 guys who got to experience this event, thank you to @JB & @GolferGal for providing an online community we can call home, thank you to @JasonFinleyCG @EthanatorCG and everyone at Callaway for allowing us to experience this event, and finally thank you to the THP community for the support. It did not go unnoticed and it was greatly appreciated.

man i wish @LaQuintaLooper could do official hole recaps! dude can spin a yarn. freaking love it.

Kekoa “K” ??
Absolutely love this! Thanks for sharing!

We are under embargo, we have alternate headcovers to use until it is lifted, and we have to use our discretion. We are allowed to play them, but will be careful of exposure.
Needs more iron covers.

Thank you Google, for leading me to this place.

There was a mountain biking forum that was equally important to me at the time found it in 1998. It came to me by chance. just like THP. It was responsible for ? of the lifelong friends I forged through mountain biking. They now ask me to take them to top golf and the driving range. While yelling at me for “loosing me to golf”.

Tomorrow I set out to meet the second set of “internet axe murderers”, As we used to call ourselves, but “internet golf nerds” has the same ring to me.

Looking forward to the continued ride.

Bread is a fantastic looper. Get him talking about his Clemson football and it’s a long day for you. Lol

lol I’m from Georgia so we had a lot to talk about. I doubt he’s remember me, but I walked away a fan of his.

some really cool mementos from the week. believe it or not, there’s more i still need to post when i wash clothes and get everything unpacked.

my second captains gift. a bottle of highly rated bordeaux blend from st helena that sports a very familiar and beloved logo. the wine was presented in the custom monogrammed seamus headcover in st. andrews tartan. phenomenal and special gift from this group of men.

1359D4D0-B90C-40A0-947B-5E787890AF22.jpeg

a shirt and badass koozie courtesy of the mvp himself @j_sizzle9:
F1D6326C-2575-4B16-BDFF-7C0F07A78807.jpeg
C9AB17BC-6C89-4CB1-B66E-8432D0788A39.jpeg

and finally my haul from the hideaway. i plan on reaching out to purchase more once they get more inventory in. a couple polos for me, a vest, a bag towel, a corksicle cup (not pictured), a jacket for @LovinMcLovin, and a couple items for my man @mancest.

8D566E88-5A2D-4E9C-B341-C79C0559F664.jpeg

@LaQuintaLooper with the awesome insights into the holes and shots played. It added quite a bit of color to the gold played. Appreciate you!

Kekoa “K” ??

I had a blast hanging with you on singles match day. You’ve helped me so much Including giving me a solid read on that eagle putt on the par 5. Perfect line but I didn’t hit Hard enough when it stopped an inch short haha! ?

K with the stellar highlights. Thats awesome

man i wish @LaQuintaLooper could do official hole recaps! dude can spin a yarn. freaking love it.
That’s funny. I can remember every shot for the guys I had for both days. Kind of a pathetic skill, but works nicely for this thread. When those blueberry drinks start flowing, I realize you guys don’t remember the details. You’re too busy soaking it all in (no rain pun intended) and eating choco tacos in a rainstorm.

No kidding! I love how he can spin a positive recapping a hole where all of us were out of play off the tee. Lol. Dude's got a hell of a memory! Was my first caddy ever. Was a great experience

i dig this picture from yesterday

291B70DE-F472-44D8-B4EE-CA20B8010D20.jpeg

20191206_185707.jpg20191206_185744.jpg20191206_185842.jpg

20191206_190149.jpg20191206_190258.jpg20191206_190545.jpg20191206_190554.jpg20191206_190844.jpg20191206_190915.jpg20191206_190925.jpg20191206_191010.jpg20191206_191233.jpg

Last edited:
Back