LIVE UPDATE THREAD 2019 The Grandaddy with Callaway Golf

i dig this picture from yesterday

View attachment 8917931
It doesn't look like the ball went very far there cap.

On a serious note. You've got some really good action in your swing. Very well balanced and all of your fundamentals are spot on.

It doesn't look like the ball went very far there cap.

On a serious note. You've got some really good action in your swing. Very well balanced and all of your fundamentals are spot on.

thanks brother, just need to figure out how to put it together. range time is really good, ready to see it translate to the course.

20191206_194056.jpg

Day 1

20191206_194113.jpg

Day 2

20191206_194125.jpg

Day 3

20191206_194153.jpg20191206_194509.jpg20191206_194631.jpg

Attachments

• 20191206_194313.jpg
    20191206_194313.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 12
No kidding! I love how he can spin a positive recapping a hole where all of us were out of play off the tee. Lol. Dude's got a hell of a memory! Was my first caddy ever. Was a great experience
You remember your right green side bunker shot on 9th Clive. You said you had never been in one that deep before. Wet sand and wedge you had never used. I told you to open slightly less than normal cuz it’s wet and firm. You thumped it perfectly and left yourself about 7 feet short of hole. Excellent shot.

You remember your right green side bunker shot on 9th Clive. You said you had never been in one that deep before. Wet sand and wedge you had never used. I told you to open slightly less than normal cuz it’s wet and firm. You thumped it perfectly and left yourself about 7 feet short of hole. Excellent shot.
Lol, that was one of my highlights!

I’m running on fumes right now, but looking forward to rescanning from post one to current all over again. Some round recaps coming as well.

Couldn’t have asked for a better week. Within a span of 4-5 days a few of the stops included, 2 hotels, the ECPC, CGHQ, an Oceanside cliff, a desert, 2 top notch courses, a nest, a Home Depot bucket sized margarita and a mountain top Dairy Queen.

That shot was filthy ? I shot that number at 213 back left flagstick, uphill a club, decent rain while we waited forever for green to clear, wet fairway, slight hurt wind, hanging downslope lie with a fairway wood. Playing more than 223. I was standing up on the right hill with Mike thinking “If this gets 10 feet in the air, goes anywhere, and stays out of the right lake, it would be a tremendous shot”. How about a soaring 10 yard cut that lands soft and releases left to right towards that pin and settles in. Lars was already up on the green. When I got there to mark and clean it, I asked Lars, “What the hell was that???” ?? Pete had same shot a flat lie right after, I won’t say where his went ??‍♂️???
I used to be a member here on an old email. I made a new one to watch your vids and read the banter. What a great event you guys have going here. I have looped 100s of these team type events. They tend to be so corny and devolve into such petty tactics and 18hcp guys pulling out rule books on each other. Makes me want to walk back to my car and be done with it (especially in rain ha). This event was the perfect blend of relaxing fun, but with a real desire to be competitive and take each shot seriously. I’ve read this thread for about 3 hours now. Saw your speech at Al’s house and realized why you guys have so much respect for each other on the grass. Also, really cool to see the new products in action from guys with different swings and speeds. Some wedge shots in wet conditions were very impressive. From wet bunkers to thin wet fairways. Fairway woods had nice pop to them. Saw a few super hybrid shots from wet rough and off the tee that were very impressive from higher handicappers. Luckily, you all had new cool putters I could blame my bad reads on. “Must be your new putter cuz that one always goes left” ??‍♂️ My lips are sealed on the equipment, but cool stuff. Hope you enjoyed our tracks and thanks for taking care of us caddies. We appreciate the work. Lord knows the members weren’t gonna play in that crap weather Wednesday. You guys saved us.
Kekoa “K” ??

That’s fantastic stuff! Thank you sharing it

I had a blast hanging with you on singles match day. You’ve helped me so much Including giving me a solid read on that eagle putt on the par 5. Perfect line but I didn’t hit Hard enough when it stopped an inch short haha! ?
You had another great par 5 birdie on the 13th. Long bunker down left off tee. Water from about 200 all the way to green on the right. Hit a big drive, only about 230 left to that back right flag. You thin hooked what looked like a 4 iron barely over those bunkers that are short left of the green and we found it pin high in the left rough inches from the cart path. You had 48 yards downhill, bunker and water passed the pin. Cut the legs off a great wedge shot, landed way softer than Lars and I expected and crawled to about 13 feet short of hole. We both agreed it was left edge and you had already triple tracked the ball for left edge before I even got there, so I knew it was going in. Perfect downhill speed center cut. Skillful shots under pressure of a tight match. Match went all the way to the 17th green. Took that high soft draw iron from 180 that Tyler hit off 17th tee to about 18 feet pin high right and his nice putt that slid by the left edge to finally close you out. Might have been 6 iron Tyler hit. Or he hits a high 5. Great finish to a fun match. ??E63B2D7E-4C7C-4323-AA82-619FABD5E058.png

I am interested to know what fitting was each member’s favorite! Finding a small piece of information is awesome.

Full swing, wedges or putter fitting? What say you GD2019 warriors?

I just relived the entire 4 days with my family at dinner. They probably got bored around the time i got to telling them about leaving @j_sizzle9 at the hotel when we went to Al’s house for dinner, but they never told me to stop talking.

On the way home my wife looked at me and said “I get it now. I didn’t understand the first time what this meant to you, but I get it this time. Tell your friends thank you for recharging your soul”

She’ll never read this, but that meant the world to me. She held down my household, like I’m sure the 12 other wives did for my team, without skipping a beat. She allowed me to go experience paradise one more time and for that I’m eternally grateful.

I’ll take time gathering my thoughts and recap notes, but for now a simple thank you. Thank you to the 12 guys who got to experience this event, thank you to @JB & @GolferGal for providing an online community we can call home, thank you to @JasonFinleyCG @EthanatorCG and everyone at Callaway for allowing us to experience this event, and finally thank you to the THP community for the support. It did not go unnoticed and it was greatly appreciated.

Mike, dude. your passion for this event and the forum are contagious. Also they make my eyeballs tickle for some reason. ?
man i wish @LaQuintaLooper could do official hole recaps! dude can spin a yarn. freaking love it.

More proof that The Grandaddy is really really extra special. Much thanks to @LaQuintaLooper for sharing from your perspective!

I am interested to know what fitting was each member’s favorite! Finding a small piece of information is awesome.

there was no separate wedge fitting this year. it was done with full swing, time permitting.

the putter fitting was cool because it verified just how amazing triple track technology is. in one of our product presentations, i believe the percentages mentioned were something like when using triple track, aim accuracy and consistency was improved 85% for putts inside 10’ for amateur golfers, and 100% outside 10’. when @Luke WilliamsCG had me roll putts to start my fitting, he saw a tendency for me to aim poorly. he asked me to take my stance and tell him when i thought i was aimed properly, then he put a laser down to show where the face was aimed. it was 4* left of the target. that is horrible! we put triple track down, and that improved to 1/2* left of the target. such a jaw-dropping confirmation of why triple track is as good as it is.

but my favorite was the full swing fitting. within that fitting i think it was the wedges i enjoyed the most. for gerritt to react as positively as he did to my pitch shots with the jaws md5 x grind (like “wow!” or “there we go”), and to see such awesome results, i was blown away. it was fun testing different irons throughout the catalog, and finding that best fit for me - removing any bias toward bagging next year’s product - was still next year’s product. as great as the 2019 iron releases were, next year’s product beat it on an unbiased fitting.

B8BB46A9-9095-485F-9D26-85520BA7C349.jpeg

Another fantastic event from THP & Callaway!! Great read, great people!! Doesn’t get any better than this!

some really cool mementos from the week. believe it or not, there’s more i still need to post when i wash clothes and get everything unpacked.

my second captains gift. a bottle of highly rated bordeaux blend from st helena that sports a very familiar and beloved logo. the wine was presented in the custom monogrammed seamus headcover in st. andrews tartan. phenomenal and special gift from this group of men.

View attachment 8917912

a shirt and badass koozie courtesy of the mvp himself @j_sizzle9:
View attachment 8917913
View attachment 8917914

and finally my haul from the hideaway. i plan on reaching out to purchase more once they get more inventory in. a couple polos for me, a vest, a bag towel, a corksicle cup (not pictured), a jacket for @LovinMcLovin, and a couple items for my man @mancest.

View attachment 8917915

Love the wine man!

finally made it home with an amazing surprise waiting for me. A welcome home sign that my kids made for me. What a fantastic way to end the trip!

View attachment 8917900

I am mentally and physically exhausted. This trip has been everything and more. I am blown away by Callaway and THP For this amazing opportunity. Thank you @JB, @JasonFinleyCG and the whole zoo crew team for giving us the best time of our life.

to my new brothers, I am so fortunate to have met you guys and share this journey with you. We all clicked so well and hit the ground running like we were best friends. The laughs, the banter, and the memories will be cherished forever. I can’t wait to hit the links with you all again soon.

now, I’m gonna enjoy this cold beer, tell my wife and kids the amazing stories that happened and crash for the night.

Thank you THP for being an awesome audience supporting and cheering us on. You guys were amazing! I can’t wait to share more photos and tell you more in the coming days.
That poster says it all, welcome back to NE OH.....and gray skies, ugh:cool:

This thread keeps getting better and better!

Full swing in the woods and longer clubs. This was the area for me with the biggest question mark and it did not disappoint. My fitter John did an incredible job exploring more unconventional options to find exactly what worked for me and man that hybrid is SO good.

Oh we do, one of the things we here and the hosts always talk about it. Helps to continue to make it possible.

Thousands of THP members followed the Grandaddy proceedings from afar, and a few of us decided to take up a collection so that we may contribute something to the 2020 event. We now have a 2 figure R&D budget which is growing , and expect to contract with a third part engineering firm which will use the latest AI, advanced materials, and manufacturing processes to develop the world's first tech-loaded-game-changing-iron-covers.
Sorry I am not able to show you our early prototype drawings. Not even JB has access to the small group working way behind the scenes at THP

I didn't have my best swing during the fitting. By a long shot. We spent the majority of time on iron shafts. Jumping back and forth. I managed to make decent enough shots to the point where my typical shot showed up and we realized that we had to find something that would allow me to lower launch with a shaft that is stiff enough for me, but not rear.

I'm not going to lie, I thought I'd walk out of there with Apex Pro's. Just launched them too high with too much spin. The new irons I have lowered my launch and saw a more consistent launch window. They are great. I'll have to see what kind of numbers I get when I'm out there in my own element. I suspect that when I'm swinging free and not nervous, the clubs will be longer. If that's the case, I may buy a set AW and just shift the bag makeup from 4-pw to 5-AW. Just need to cover my yard gaps after all.

Back