LIVE UPDATE THREAD 2019 The Grandaddy with Callaway Golf

We, as a team, chose four colors of shorts / pants that would be flexible enough to go with any combination that we were given. We had light gray, dark gray, navy, and khaki. Everyone just took shoes to their liking, not expecting to get shoes. That was just a bonus. We obviously had the cardigans for Al's, but beyond that, it was just whatever you wanted to bring for after hours.

JMB3 – Recap 1/5: My Brothers

The Grandaddy was the greatest experience of my life. And the primary reason is no surprise, especially to my fellow alumni: It’s the people—and I mean every single person who had a hand in planning, executing, or participating in the greatest amateur golf event on the planet. So, when sitting down to recap my experience, I thought it best to start there. Today, I address my teammates and captains, every single one of whom I love as brothers.

I won a spot to participate in The Grandaddy in early September (ironically, while vacationing in San Diego)—just three months before the event kicked off. But in that time, and thanks to our captains, I talked with my teammates every single day. On busy days, it may have just been to say good morning/night. On others, it was to discuss major life events we were then experiencing. And yet others, it was to get swing advice or other tips. Ultimately, in just three months, I became incredibly close with 12 internet strangers. So much so that our first actual meeting, at Filibertos in Encinitas, CA for me, felt like a reunion of lifelong friends.

I could probably write a novel on each of these guys, but for the sake of the forum, I’ll try to keep it brief. Just know that I’d go to battle for each and every one of these guys, no matter what was at stake:

Captain @McLovin (Chris) – Chris was the first voice I heard. He called me as soon as I was back in town. I still remember his advice and the expectations he set for the entire team. Just from this brief chat, I knew Chris was a tremendous leader. He confirmed that over the next three months. Chris showed us right away he had our backs, he would be a resource whenever we needed him, and he wasn’t afraid to use tough love when necessary. Chris involved us in decisions, including pairings. He kept things light and always reminded us that all he wanted was for us to have the best time of our lives. I’m sure last year’s squad feels the same way about T4K, but I could not have asked for a better Captain. You are the man, Chris. Thanks for everything!

AssCap @mikeg_74 (MG) – MG is quick to make fun of himself for being “emotional.” But I love it. And I am the same way. MG’s love for this event may be second to none. He was never afraid to open up to us, and he was always ready to put things in proper perspective. If you followed along, you probably saw that I went 0-3, and my game was ROUGH. It really got to me in the second match, but thanks to MG, I remembered where I was and my perspective changed completely. I literally have never had so much fun getting my a** kicked, haha. If you know MG, I’m sure you’d agree that he’d make one hell of a life coach. I truly wish he could be by my side every day. Your words mean so much to me, MG, and I’m a better guy having you in my life.

@Snickerdog (David) – Where do I start... Snicks is one of the most enjoyable people I’ve ever met, which made it so amusing to see all his pre-Grandaddy smack talk. Snicks is the least villainous villain of all time. Even before joining the team, I enjoyed following Snicks’s posts in the forum. He was always positive, often encouraging members in the B100 thread. So I could not have been happier to team up with Snicks. Playing with Snicks was a blast, though the next time we play, I’m driving the cart. ;) Snicks and Neubarth were a hilarious duo too, with plenty of smack talk throughout the round. We came up a little short in our matches, but Snicks played amazing, especially the second match. Snicks may be the best fairway wood player I’ve ever seen. On the par 4 9th(Clive), Snicks had about 220 to the pin uphill and hit a HIGH fairway wood right at the pin—the hole didn’t matter, haha, but it was one hell of a shot. I miss playing with Snicks already, but I know it wasn’t the last time.

@radiman (Mike R) – I was paired up with Radi for singles day, and it was an absolute blast. Radi reminds me so much of my friends. Just a fun, down-to-Earth midwestern—one who can carry drives 300 yards, though, haha. Playing alongside Radi was so eye opening. It’s crazy what a “bad shot” is to a 2 HDCP. On one hole, for example, Radi crushed a drive but it faded right. We all assumed it was destined for the water, especially after our host said it would take 300 yards to carry it…. Well, Radi dang near did. It was the most impressive “miss” I’ve seen. I’m sure you’ve all heard about the 4i BOMB during the horse race. Well, play a round with Radi, and you’ll see those all day long. Radi is so, so good. And he’s an even better dude.

@JourdanInMich (Jourdan) – My fellow Fancy Boi! I didn’t get to play with Jourdan, but I got to spend a ton of time with him. I feel like Jourdan and I see eye-to-eye on most things and would have been friends even without The Grandaddy, but I’m happy this event brought us together. With Jourdan in nearby Michigan, I plan to get plenty of rounds in with him in the future. From all I saw before and at The Grandaddy, Jourdan is on the verge of single digits. And his quick improvement has really motivated me to get my game together. Jourdan was a perfect Grandaddy teammate, even hooking us all (including the Zoo Crew) up with Evolve Golf coins. Can’t wait to tee it up with you, my man!

@bigskyirish (Mike M) – MM is the most humble 1 HDCP of all time. During the horse race, he was telling me about all the bombs Sizz hit, and then proceeded to hit the longest tee shot of the group. MM and I are both lawyers, and a few weeks back, he actually provided me some intel as I prepared my boss for an oral argument in Denver—thanks for making me look good! MM may be quiet, but when you do talk with him, you can’t not love the guy.

@NoShanks (Eddie) – Eddie may be the other most humble 1 HDCP of all time, haha. He has one of the most beautiful swings I’ve ever seen from an amateur. Just silky smooth with perfect ball striking--no way he has ever hit a shank. But Eddie is far more than just a stick, he’s an awesome guy. One of the greatest aspects of our group chat was getting to know Eddie. He is so damn funny. And he was always willing to offer swing advice to a hack like me. You’re only a short flight away, Eddie, and I better see you again!

@clarkgriswold (Jay) – For months, we were all convinced Jay was in the CIA. That still may be true, but I was happy to finally put a face with the personality. Jay is an absolute blast. As Sean Toulon put it, he's "******* awesome," haha. He also has so much golfing potential. The dude has crazy speed and, if he keeps it straight, will eviscerate his handicap. I wish I could have watched him and Eddie play as a team—just bombs for days. We need to tee it up eventually, bud!

@badolds (Dan) – Speaking of bombs…. During my fitting, I heard one of the greatest sounds ever, looked up, and saw Dan smash a 3W further than any drive I hit that day. Dan has SPEED. He alone has me ready to start a SuperSpeed training program. He’s got game too. So proud of Dan killing it in singles. He worked really hard to get his game on point headed into The Grandaddy. And for those who know Dan, this may surprise you, but I’m pretty sure we converted him to a Fancy Boi….

@zbeekner4 (Zach) – When you look at certain guys on the team, you can see from their height/length how they would naturally be longball hitters. For ZB, it’s his incredible athleticism and a sexy AF swing. I literally have a GIF (hard g!) of his iron swing on my phone that I look at when I need some inspiration—just SO good. While I didn’t get to witness it in person, ZB played amazing this week, which is even more amazing when you consider he uprooted his entire life the week before (welcome to real winters, bud!). While ZB may be younger than me, in many ways, I look up to him, and someday hope to have even a little bit of his game.

@tomcat (Spencer) – Spencer embodies everything THP is all about. He has such an incredible attitude—always. I wish I had his mental fortitude, especially when it comes to golf. Spencer was such a critical component of this team, and he played amazing. I have no doubt that with the ECPC fitting, Spencer will take a big step forward. I’m going to miss being around you, bud, and I hope to see you soon!

@j_sizzle9 (Sizz) – Could his forum name be any more fitting? Sizz was the last member added to the team, and he could not have rounded it out any better. In such a short time, Sizz absolutely killed it. The dude got us custom tee shirts, koozies for the bus, and a custom Grandaddy paint job on his kicks. What blew me away about Sizz, though, is how naturally and quickly he can form a relationship with anyone. He works a room as good as anyone I’ve ever seen. Even at the Nest, the dude is telling us what some of the patrons do for a living. How would anyone else even know that? And despite being on the #LUO, Sizz showed up the next day and kicked ass in singles. Sizz is the man and our MVP!

@JB – I can’t talk about my teammates without mentioning JB. We obviously do not have a Team THP without him, @GolferGal, and everyone else at THP. One of my favorite moments from the entire week was just sitting in the lobby with him and the team chatting. JB is a beacon of knowledge and tells great stories. I wish that moment could have gone on for hours. Thank you for all that you do, JB!

Finally, I have to thank all of you who followed along. We felt your love before and during the event. We truly wanted to do right by you all, and I hope we accomplished that mission.

Next Up: The Zoo Crew and Beyond

Attachments

• IMG_0849.JPG
    IMG_0849.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 20
  • BlA139ggT4qr0GiC93MyMw.jpg
    BlA139ggT4qr0GiC93MyMw.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
When it came time to lie/loft/length for your fittings, did you all order what you had previously had ideas on, or did the fitters make adjustments for that for you as well?

@JMB3 epic post my man and thank you for the very kind words. You’ve been a huge part of this team since you were selected and I was so happy to have been your teammate and be able to hang out. Wish I could’ve played a round with you but we had a good time off the course anyways!

When it came time to lie/loft/length for your fittings, did you all order what you had previously had ideas on, or did the fitters make adjustments for that for you as well?

100% the fitter for me. in fact, i just recently noticed he went 1/2” short on my woods and hybrids, which is something i wouldn’t have thought.

we did talk about the lie, and he confirmed it with me. not sure the wedges were bent like we discussed though, but they’re working great so i’m not going to check anything.

the loft was really interesting. 1* weak. never done that in my life. we did it to increase launch and get a little more spin. makes perfect sense, though.

gawd i love this team.

John my fitter gave me recommendations for everything even though we were short on time. He gave me some wise words that the tour pros adjust lie based on the ball flight they want to see. Now I’m not saying we should do what every tour player does but he asked me about ball flight and with a standard lie, my ball flight was exactly what I wanted. Had a need more draw or fade bias, we would’ve adjusted the lie accordingly.

I also went shorter in my driver as advised by John as well to 45” which isn’t crazy but stock for a lot of drivers these days is linger than that.

To answer your question, it was a mix of what I previously had been accustomed to and his recommendations which came from the numbers on Trackman and more importantly what the ball was doing down range.

I was fitted into standard LLL. my swing was producing optimal numbers and ball flight. The fitter was happy with those numbers and didn't wanted to mess with it.

I told the fitter what I was playing as far as lie angle. He explained in detail why and how it effects the shots. After watching me hit and seeing what my swing and ball flight was he agreed the 1 flat was fine for me.

@JMB3 I appreciate the words brother. I had the funnest round with you and @JasonFinleyCG and @jeffneubarth that first day.
And to be honest we only almost died twice so its all good. :ROFLMAO: I will tee it up with you anytime you like sir.

This was actually my first iron fitting, so I was relying entirely on the fitter. He recommended weakening loft 2* to get more launch and spin. He did want to adjust the lie angle based on my ball flight, but because I was working on correcting that issue, he didn't want to mess with it.

Last edited:
No. They came as a team and won and lost as a team.
From what I was able to get from the follow, you nailed it! Awesome bunch of guys, they are MVP’s. Thanks to you and everyone out there bringing us along this year!

Day 2. Fitting Day, bus ride

So, we were up bright and early. I was up at least an hour before my alarm was going to go off. Meandered down to the lobby at our designated time. My boys were already down there eating breakfast and just hanging out. We loaded up on the bus and we were on our way to ECPC. Didn't take long to get there and that's when everything became real all at once.

1575862051218.png

Just a short wait at the gate and we were in. Walking up that drive was a surreal kind of moment. Being told how exclusive the ECPC actually is. People can't just schedule a time and come in here. The way it sounds is like Phil is basically the only pro that has full access to this place. Interesting side note. Sounds like he flies in and out of a small airport right in the area. Pops in unannounced from time to time.

Anyhow. Here we are. A bunch of internet golf nerds just about to take in an experience that few others will ever get. They had 4 fitters going through full bag fittings. Tony Toulon and Luke Williams were going through putter fittings inside. Upstairs we were given a presentation on Cuater and Callaway apparel.

1575862073125.png

I was in the first group that was to go through the full bag fitting. I was assigned Nick. A very knowledgeable fitter who was able to cut through some of my poor swinging and get me into a combo that should be amazing. I started warming up by hitting one of the new irons in a light steel shaft. I had some question on whether or not I would be able to benefit from a lighter shaft. The answer was no, I would not, lol. Once I was warmed up, Nick had a lot of questions for me. What am I playing now? What is my typical shot shape? What is my miss? I was honest and explained that I am basically only a fader of the golf ball with my miss being a block. When I told him what my typical spec was, he confirmed that it appeared to be about right. I usually go .5" over standard and 2 degrees upright. He agreed and we proceeded to go through a plethora of shafts. He agreed that the lighter shaft wasn't a good fit. So, we kind of stayed in that 120-130 gram X stiff options.

My swing was not with me during the fitting. I had some really crazy nerves going on. I don't know if was just the long travel day the day before combined with the thought that this is my one chance and I was trying so hard to not mess it up that I was messing it up. Lol. But, with that being said, there was enough data that Nick was able to make some really solid guidance. I was hitting the new iron lineup and at one point he suggested that I may want to try the Apex Pros. I already hit the ball high with some higher spin numbers. After a couple of shots with that, I was launching it higher with even more spin. So, he explained the reasoning and suggested that I stick with the new line. I was fine with that. I was seeing some nice launch conditions. He took the time to explain why he was choosing each shaft for me to try. One of the first shafts was the KBS $ Taper 130X. Was getting some good results with it. He had me try the OG PX, the X100, the PX LZ 6.5 (which were a close second). But, one of his first choices ended up being the one. Irons were set.

Moving into the driver. We started with the new lineup with a Ventus Blue 6X. My timing was off and it showed. In an effort to improve it. He moved me into a less tip stiff shaft in the Ventus Red 7X. I was seeing some pretty good launch. The ball would peak high and just seemed to stay in the air forever. So, that was his recommendation. Ventus Red 7X tipped 1" to tighten up the feel. Recommended the same shaft in my 3 wood. Same weight and everything.

At this point, we were running into our ceiling for time. Moving into hybrids. We had a pretty short convo and I reiterated that I just don't get along with them typically. I don't like the high launch and I find them difficult to control. He gave me one of the new hybrids to try and I put a few swings on it and it wasn't great. I told him that I would like to get into a driving iron, but I already have the X Forged UT. He said he didn't want to fit me into something that I already had so I asked to just get an Epic Forged 4 iron with a graphite hybrid shaft in it. He said sure. Secretly, this was one of my high hopes from the fitting. So, having him just go with it with little apprehension was nice. I didn't hit it at the fitting as we were running low on time. But, it was probably one of the most impressive clubs for me all week. Bombs off the tee, good launch off the deck, oh, and it's craaaaaazy long. Sorry, getting off track here. Anyways, he put me in a KBS Prototype Hybrid Shaft in 95X.

Regarding the wedges, we had a quick discussion on what lofts I use and I explained that I didn't know what grind to choose. He had me hit some simple 50 yard pitch shots. I wanted to try the low bounce W grind. I felt the club bounce ever so slightly into the ball at impact. It wasn't much, but Nick noticed it right away. Said it wasn't going to be a great fit. Had me try the X grind in my 60 and was night and day difference. Crisp ball first contact. And that was that. He took down all of the build info, gave me my sheet, and I was off to the Cuater demonstration.

So, as you all know, we all got hooked up with either a pair of Cuater Moneymakers or Cuater Legends. I received the Moneymakers which are much more my style. I slipped them on just because I was very interested. They fit like a glove. I will be going into more detail on those in the Cuater shoe thread. So, keep an eye out for my review there. Spoiler alert, it will be mostly glowing. One small concern that I will address there.

1575862099060.png

The short of the apparel presentation is that Callaway is stepping up their game. They know that some of their apparel in the past had been lacking. They are addressing it and making it a lot more "athletic" (my word not theirs). Seem construction to improve movement and decrease restriction. A new assortment of interesting print patterns. Lots of good stuff. Again, there will be more thoughts on this in the appropriate thread.

The putter fitting was last for me. Luke Williams said since I was the last one to get in, I got to be the first one fit. Honestly, it was such a simple process. Luke had us grab a putter we liked and roll a few putts with it. I had a #10 slant neck and could tell it wasn't going to be great. He thought the same thing. So, grabbed the double bend and he had me roll some putts as he watched my stroke. First thing he noticed was that the toe of the putter was up a bit. I could never tell since I can't see the bottom of the putter. Also had me move the ball back slightly in my stance and raise my hands a bit. From these simple things, he could tell me in about 5 minutes what my specs should be. #10, double bend shaft, 1 degree flat and 34.5".

At that point, my fittings were done and I finally had a few minutes to take a walk about and breath a little. I hate to say it. But, I was a nervous wreck. I was disappointed in my swing during the fitting process. I was far from my best. I was in my own head. I swear everytime I could see someone walking around behind me, it felt like they were watching me. My palms were sweaty and I was a wreck. I wasn't mentally ready for the magnitude of it all. And, it wasn't that the environment was intimidating. I saw @badolds put an absolute hurting on the ball. @NoShanks was putting on a clinic. It was just a me thing. It's the one thing I wish I could have done better. And, it's not that I feel like my equipment isn't a good fit. I know it is. I hit some great shots with it. But, I let that self doubt creep in for a bit.

Now, I only say that last part as a means of being fully transparent. I said I would share my experience and that is what my experience was. The fitters are amazing, the facilities are amazing, everything about it was amazing. I had no reason to let myself get to me, but that's what I did. Thankfully, I had people like @mikeg_74 there to help remind me to take some breaths and loosen up. Even @vgolfman was there reminding me to slow down. In my defense, it was my first event and fitting. And, it just happened to be by some of the absolute best fitters in the business. Was a lot to take in.

But, after the dust settled, I know I am in a very bad a** set of clubs. A huge shout out to whomever built these clubs at Callaway. Those guys are rock stars. Knocking out 12 sets of clubs and getting them to the Hideaway the next morning is an impressive feat.

After the fittings, we had lunch at HQ and had a roughly 2 hour Q&A session. Literally nothing was off limits. Some great conversation with @vgolfman regarding the future of fitting at Callaway. A good bit of discussion around their plant upgrades in Chicopee. It was something in the works long before anyone started taking a pipe cutter to golf balls.

We followed that up with a tour through the R&D department. This was so flipping cool. One of the highlights to the trip for me. Seeing the work that goes into design and prototyping was quite impressive. Obviously, not much we can share on that front. But, was such a rare opportunity.

Then, we loaded up on the bus, and we were heading to the desert. This time, we were joined by most of Team Callaway. They were leaving their jobs and families behind to spend two days with us. These personal moments that we were able to share with the Zoocrew were special. We had a chance to just sit down and shoot the breeze with these guys. They were there just being themselves. Cracking jokes, answering our questions, having a good time. The bus ride flew by.

Since I missed the product presentations, I tried to get as much info out of @DNevsCG as I possibly could during these times. He was an amazing sport. He really went out of his way to spend time with all of us. He had a print out that had our mug shots, screen names, and real names on it. He was doing his best to get to know all of us the best he could. He probably regrets sitting as close to me as he did on the bus rides, but, I tried to make good use to having access to a gear head like him.

1575862247153.png

Not sure what's going on in the background here, @Luke WilliamsCG measuring his head size? I don't know.

1575862262286.png

Our guy @j_sizzle9 hooking us up with some sweet Grandaddy coozies!

1575862279504.png
1575862297950.png

1575862315582.png

I will wrap this post up here. Al's house and Pre-Nesting still on the agenda for the day 2 recap.

For now, I will leave you with this. Because, I don't know if it would be possible to look any better than I do in this pic with the G cardigan...:cool: (not saying that it's saying much)

1575862338899.png

Not sure what is going on with the picture quality in my post. I had to copy it out of the thread and past it into word to save what I already typed out. Pics look a little off. But, they are essentially what is already in the event gallery. I will check it on a better screen tomorrow and replace any that are too bad.

It depends Jeff are you starting the match 2 up? :)

We could say I started 2 down if it makes @jeffneubarth feel better?

Let's be fair here. Luke will be there too.

To be fair only @HeyPeteCG and Cliff hung with me till the end!

Looks like an amazing time. Congrats to @bigskyirish for finishing out that horse race. The Mexican food looked amazing. @McLovin I love that you are stepping up to take on @JasonFinleyCG today. Take the most pressure filled match on for yourself and let your teammates focus on their own match. You guys are doing awesome at keeping us updated. One final thing, @j_sizzle9 do not wreck the cart and screw this up for 2020 :LOL:??

It’s fine...I already wrecked a cart and broke a sprinkler during the horserace...no chance I was gonna wreck again on day 2!

The @McLovin vs @JasonFinleyCG is a Captain's match which happens every year and trust me @j_sizzle9 will be just fine today.

Singles Day!!!!! Lets go Team THP!

@jdtox knows me well...the hangover calms the nerves!

Oh man. Not looking forward to work tomorrow. Sounds like some more winter weather coming in tonight. High of 2 degrees (not Celsius). Schools have already been pushed back a few hours due to the weather. Thanks for having me back Minnesota....

This will serve as my recap of the Grandaddy event. I will not go too deep but know more than anything this event means a lot to me, always has and always will. As I sit back and think about what we pull off at the end of it, I am proud but more than anything else, the three things that stand out the most to me are:

-Team THP – we had a great group of guys that came together as a group, represented this community (and themselves) very well and above all else were very appreciate and thankful for what they were able to experience. I look forward to reading the recaps and reviews as we move into the new year.

-The Hideaway crew – from Lehua the incredible Pro and her staff to our incredible hosts, they play a huge role in this and owe a lot to them. They open their (very) Private enclave to us and even Al opened his home to host the Tuesday night party. The team at Hideaway continues to allow us to come back for some reason and the members have really embraced what our vision for the event is and help to make it what it is today. Not sure many other private clubs anywhere in the world would allow something like this to happen.

-The Callaway crew – From top to bottom, we have a great crew. With a lot of new faces on our team and helping out, everyone has a piece of making this happen and come together, even many who do not get to be at the actual event itself. Penny is a huge part of this behind the scenes and a great help for me on the details no one wants to deal with. Please make sure to support her Penny Candle Company efforts. The travel team, fitters, cafeteria team, tour builders were all a huge help in making this possible. The Zoo Crew not only played well enough to get (another) dominating win but all were incredible hosts and ensured everyone else was having an incredible time along with them.

Personally for me, I am always really happy getting off the bus and heading home after a long couple days but as I move into the following days, bummed that it will be another year until we get to do it again. And, as has been mentioned from here on, we will be thinking about how we can make next years Grandaddy even better. So, I will be following along and looking forward to all feedback about what you liked, didn’t like and thought we could do to make it better.

Thanks to everyone who followed along and all the support of this great event!

Love it. I think I’m just going to stay pumped up and ready to follow next year’s GD

The recaps rolling in are bittersweet. Still dealing with the fact that it’s over but LOVE the impact this event had on these guys this year. Extremely glad The Grandaddy lives on and can’t wait to see more recaps. Long live The Grandaddy!

JMB3 – Recap 1/5: My Brothers
The Grandaddy was the greatest experience of my life. And the primary reason is no surprise, especially to my fellow alumni: It’s the people—and I mean every single person who had a hand in planning, executing, or participating in the greatest amateur golf event on the planet. So, when sitting down to recap my experience, I thought it best to start there. Today, I address my teammates and captains, every single one of whom I love as brothers.
I won a spot to participate in The Grandaddy in early September (ironically, while vacationing in San Diego)—just three months before the event kicked off. But in that time, and thanks to our captains, I talked with my teammates every single day. On busy days, it may have just been to say good morning/night. On others, it was to discuss major life events we were then experiencing. And yet others, it was to get swing advice or other tips. Ultimately, in just three months, I became incredibly close with 12 internet strangers. So much so that our first actual meeting, at Filibertos in Encinitas, CA for me, felt like a reunion of lifelong friends.
I could probably write a novel on each of these guys, but for the sake of the forum, I’ll try to keep it brief. Just know that I’d go to battle for each and every one of these guys, no matter what was at stake:
Captain @McLovin (Chris) – Chris was the first voice I heard. He called me as soon as I was back in town. I still remember his advice and the expectations he set for the entire team. Just from this brief chat, I knew Chris was a tremendous leader. He confirmed that over the next three months. Chris showed us right away he had our backs, he would be a resource whenever we needed him, and he wasn’t afraid to use tough love when necessary. Chris involved us in decisions, including pairings. He kept things light and always reminded us that all he wanted was for us to have the best time of our lives. I’m sure last year’s squad feels the same way about T4K, but I could not have asked for a better Captain. You are the man, Chris. Thanks for everything!
AssCap @mikeg_74 (MG) – MG is quick to make fun of himself for being “emotional.” But I love it. And I am the same way. MG’s love for this event may be second to none. He was never afraid to open up to us, and he was always ready to put things in proper perspective. If you followed along, you probably saw that I went 0-3, and my game was ROUGH. It really got to me in the second match, but thanks to MG, I remembered where I was and my perspective changed completely. I literally have never had so much fun getting my a** kicked, haha. If you know MG, I’m sure you’d agree that he’d make one hell of a life coach. I truly wish he could be by my side every day. Your words mean so much to me, MG, and I’m a better guy having you in my life.
@Snickerdog (David) – Where do I start... Snicks is one of the most enjoyable people I’ve ever met, which made it so amusing to see all his pre-Grandaddy smack talk. Snicks is the least villainous villain of all time. Even before joining the team, I enjoyed following Snicks’s posts in the forum. He was always positive, often encouraging members in the B100 thread. So I could not have been happier to team up with Snicks. Playing with Snicks was a blast, though the next time we play, I’m driving the cart. ;) Snicks and Neubarth were a hilarious duo too, with plenty of smack talk throughout the round. We came up a little short in our matches, but Snicks played amazing, especially the second match. Snicks may be the best fairway wood player I’ve ever seen. On the par 4 9th(Clive), Snicks had about 220 to the pin uphill and hit a HIGH fairway wood right at the pin—the hole didn’t matter, haha, but it was one hell of a shot. I miss playing with Snicks already, but I know it wasn’t the last time.
@radiman (Mike R) – I was paired up with Radi for singles day, and it was an absolute blast. Radi reminds me so much of my friends. Just a fun, down-to-Earth midwestern—one who can carry drives 300 yards, though, haha. Playing alongside Radi was so eye opening. It’s crazy what a “bad shot” is to a 2 HDCP. On one hole, for example, Radi crushed a drive but it faded right. We all assumed it was destined for the water, especially after our host said it would take 300 yards to carry it…. Well, Radi dang near did. It was the most impressive “miss” I’ve seen. I’m sure you’ve all heard about the 4i BOMB during the horse race. Well, play a round with Radi, and you’ll see those all day long. Radi is so, so good. And he’s an even better dude.
@JourdanInMich (Jourdan) – My fellow Fancy Boi! I didn’t get to play with Jourdan, but I got to spend a ton of time with him. I feel like Jourdan and I see eye-to-eye on most things and would have been friends even without The Grandaddy, but I’m happy this event brought us together. With Jourdan in nearby Michigan, I plan to get plenty of rounds in with him in the future. From all I saw before and at The Grandaddy, Jourdan is on the verge of single digits. And his quick improvement has really motivated me to get my game together. Jourdan was a perfect Grandaddy teammate, even hooking us all (including the Zoo Crew) up with Evolve Golf coins. Can’t wait to tee it up with you, my man!
@bigskyirish (Mike M) – MM is the most humble 1 HDCP of all time. During the horse race, he was telling me about all the bombs Sizz hit, and then proceeded to hit the longest tee shot of the group. MM and I are both lawyers, and a few weeks back, he actually provided me some intel as I prepared my boss for an oral argument in Denver—thanks for making me look good! MM may be quiet, but when you do talk with him, you can’t not love the guy.
@NoShanks (Eddie) – Eddie may be the other most humble 1 HDCP of all time, haha. He has one of the most beautiful swings I’ve ever seen from an amateur. Just silky smooth with perfect ball striking--no way he has ever hit a shank. But Eddie is far more than just a stick, he’s an awesome guy. One of the greatest aspects of our group chat was getting to know Eddie. He is so damn funny. And he was always willing to offer swing advice to a hack like me. You’re only a short flight away, Eddie, and I better see you again!
@clarkgriswold (Jay) – For months, we were all convinced Jay was in the CIA. That still may be true, but I was happy to finally put a face with the personality. Jay is an absolute blast. As Sean Toulon put it, he's "******* awesome," haha. He also has so much golfing potential. The dude has crazy speed and, if he keeps it straight, will eviscerate his handicap. I wish I could have watched him and Eddie play as a team—just bombs for days. We need to tee it up eventually, bud!
@badolds (Dan) – Speaking of bombs…. During my fitting, I heard one of the greatest sounds ever, looked up, and saw Dan smash a 3W further than any drive I hit that day. Dan has SPEED. He alone has me ready to start a SuperSpeed training program. He’s got game too. So proud of Dan killing it in singles. He worked really hard to get his game on point headed into The Grandaddy. And for those who know Dan, this may surprise you, but I’m pretty sure we converted him to a Fancy Boi….
@zbeekner4 (Zach) – When you look at certain guys on the team, you can see from their height/length how they would naturally be longball hitters. For ZB, it’s his incredible athleticism and a sexy AF swing. I literally have a GIF of his iron swing on my phone that I look at when I need some inspiration—just SO good. While I didn’t get to witness it in person, ZB played amazing this week, which is even more amazing when you consider he uprooted his entire life the week before. While ZB may be younger than me, in many ways, I look up to him, and someday hope to have even a little bit of his game.
@tomcat (Spencer) – Spencer embodies everything THP is all about. He has such an incredible attitude—always. I wish I had his mental fortitude, especially when it comes to golf. Spencer was such a critical component of this team, and he played amazing. I have no doubt that with the ECPC fitting, Spencer will take a big step forward. I’m going to miss being around you, and I hope to see you soon!
@j_sizzle9 (Sizz) – Could his forum name be any more fitting? Sizz was the last member added to the team, and he could not have rounded it out any better. In such a short time, Sizz absolutely killed it. The dude got us custom tee shirts, koozies for the bus, and a custom Grandaddy paint job on his kicks. What blew me away about Sizz, though, is how naturally and quickly he can form a relationship with anyone. He works a room as good as anyone I’ve ever seen. Even at the Nest, the dude is telling us what some of the patrons do for a living. How would anyone else even know that? And despite being on the #LUO, Sizz showed up the next day and kicked ass in singles. Sizz is the man and our MVP!
@JB – I can’t talk about my teammates without mentioning JB. We obviously do not have a Team THP without him, @GolferGal, and everyone else at THP. One of my favorite moments from the entire week was just sitting in the lobby with him and the team chatting. JB is a beacon of knowledge and tells great stories. I wish that moment could have gone on for hours. Thank you for all that you do!
Finally, I have to thank all of you who followed along. We felt your love before and during the event. We truly wanted to do right by you all, and I hope we accomplished that mission.
Next Up: The Zoo Crew and Beyond

All I can say is wow...This means a lot my man and I appreciate you!

This will serve as my recap of the Grandaddy event. I will not go too deep but know more than anything this event means a lot to me, always has and always will. As I sit back and think about what we pull off at the end of it, I am proud but more than anything else, the three things that stand out the most to me are:

-Team THP – we had a great group of guys that came together as a group, represented this community (and themselves) very well and above all else were very appreciate and thankful for what they were able to experience. I look forward to reading the recaps and reviews as we move into the new year.

-The Hideaway crew – from Lehua the incredible Pro and her staff to our incredible hosts, they play a huge role in this and owe a lot to them. They open their (very) Private enclave to us and even Al opened his home to host the Tuesday night party. The team at Hideaway continues to allow us to come back for some reason and the members have really embraced what our vision for the event is and help to make it what it is today. Not sure many other private clubs anywhere in the world would allow something like this to happen.

-The Callaway crew – From top to bottom, we have a great crew. With a lot of new faces on our team and helping out, everyone has a piece of making this happen and come together, even many who do not get to be at the actual event itself. Penny is a huge part of this behind the scenes and a great help for me on the details no one wants to deal with. Please make sure to support her Penny Candle Company efforts. The travel team, fitters, cafeteria team, tour builders were all a huge help in making this possible. The Zoo Crew not only played well enough to get (another) dominating win but all were incredible hosts and ensured everyone else was having an incredible time along with them.

Personally for me, I am always really happy getting off the bus and heading home after a long couple days but as I move into the following days, bummed that it will be another year until we get to do it again. And, as has been mentioned from here on, we will be thinking about how we can make next years Grandaddy even better. So, I will be following along and looking forward to all feedback about what you liked, didn’t like and thought we could do to make it better.

We love you too Darth @JasonFinleyCG

Seriously, there is nothing I could ever do to thank you, Callaway, the ZooCrew, the people behind the scenes, the Hideaway staff and Al and the hosts!

You, your team and Callaway have a fan for life with me!

Thanks Jason. It's a relief to hear that from the Callaway side. Knowing that we did our jobs and represented the community and did our part to continue the legacy is huge.

Don't know if there's anything we could ever do to repay the generosity you guys showed. Not just financially. But, removing yourselves from your own families to be with us.

I have no doubt that this team will continue their part and get the word out there.

Back