LIVE UPDATE THREAD 2019 The Grandaddy with Callaway Golf

While I can not take credit for any tampering of your burrito, I can speak to a flawless execution of a beatdown.
No one thought you’d actually tamper with his food...you have minions for that. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hard to believe that we were at ECPC at this time a week ago. I was probably just wrapping up the Cuater presentation if I remember right. It all happened so fast. I know the Callaway guys are more than likely buried getting ready for the release. Hope that they didn't get too far behind catering to us.

Hard to believe that we were at ECPC at this time a week ago. I was probably just wrapping up the Cuater presentation if I remember right. It all happened so fast. I know the Callaway guys are more than likely buried getting ready for the release. Hope that they didn't get too far behind catering to us.

Here's the thing...they truly enjoy making your time there special...

Day 2 part 1- ECPC

Apologies in advance here for the lack of photos, but I did not want to risk anything showing up that shouldn't so I didn't take a ton of photos at ECPC. I really wanted to focus as much as I could on the fitting to have the best possible outcome.

It's was here, the day we have all been waiting for all these months, getting fit for a whole complete new set of clubs by tour level fitters. I barely slept that night, it was probably 80% excitement, 20% the fact that I took on the @JohnnyRodCG hot pepper challenge at In/Out burger the night before.

It was an absolutely amazing feeling walking into that place for the first time. I would compare it to walking into a Major League Ballpark as a kid for the first time, except this time we get to play on the field, in uniform. Knowing that all the tour pros test clubs in the same place is wild. The range itself is nicer than literally any course I've played before. We step out onto the range and get a brief overview of how the day will go from @JasonFinleyCG and soon after we break into our fitting groups. Game Time.

I was in the first Group to be fit, along with @McLovin , @bigskyirish and @radiman . My fitter was Jason and we started out with a little interview and went over some of my historical club data, my misses, and tendencies. He gave me a rundown of how the fitting would progress and what he would be looking for. I also gave Jason my current club specs thinking that after 5 years from my last fitting I would probably be fit into a weaker flex or possibly a different length or lie. When my shot is on, its a solid fade or a slight push fade, when it's not, its the Caddyshack 2 slice, usually followed by a dead pull when I try to over compensate for the slice. My spin #s have always been the biggest challenge for me. Discussing numbers throughout the summer with my team mates, it was clear that a 10K rpm 7 iron is not optimal (no kidding) and I worked throughout the fall to get it under control to some extent, and had a break through at my lesson right before I left.

Since I was in the first group I was absolutely terrified that I wouldn't have enough time to warm up or even have my swing show up. I had legitamite concerns for the safety of some of the very expensive cars in the parking lot. Well, the pre trip lessons had definitely paid off and I was able to have a solid repeatable swing for the fitting. Jason started me off with an Apex19 7 iron in my current shafts (DG x100) to get baseline numbers. The first shot of the day I hit was pured and then another and another, I can't even put into words the level of relief I felt that I didn't show up and just chunk or slice my way through it. I felt great, and I hadn't even hit anything from the 2020 line of clubs yet. Oh and the turf, wow, cut through it effortlessly, nothing like at home. I have not played golf anywhere other than the northeast, so it was a treat.

After hitting several shots with the current Apex 19s, we moved on to some of the new iron options in a different shaft than I usually play, we tried the KBS c taper off the bat and started to get things dialed in. The distance was good but my dispersion wasn't that great, so Jason wanted to try a few more options. He then had me try the Epic forged line of clubs with KBS as well, they were long, but the dispersion wasn't all that great for me either. It was at that point Jason wanted to try the new iron heads with my current shaft model the DG x100. That was it, that was going to be the combo, between the available choices this setup was a total and clear winner. The plot points on the trackman just looked like they put a magnet out there and the new irons just went right for it, better dispersion, better spin, better distance, better everything. Turns out 5 years later I am still the same flex and still the same length and lie. I was very happy, as the clubs I ended up with felt familiar, but were giving me better performance.

Once the irons were dialed in, it was onto the wedges. This was the first real outside wedge fitting I ever had so I was really looking forward to this part as well. I must say that I watched all the videos from RFC and @DNevsCG on the Jaws wedges, and it seemed like they were almost designed just for me. The grind options all made sense and the additional middle distance pitch spin was something I definitely needed. I already had it in my head which wedges I thought would make the most sense, and after talking about my course conditions and wedge used, Jason handed me a couple options to try out and a target to aim for. I have been chipping inside a ton the last month and I was able to dial that in pretty quick outside. Without telling Jason what grinds I thought would work he ended up putting me in the the exact wedges I thought I would need based on the all the content I watched and listened to up to that point. We went with the 54* W-grind, and the 60* X-grind which would prove to be my greatest weapon in the coming days. Absolutely love these wedges. Again thanks @DNevsCG and Mr RFC for all the content.

After the wedges we moved on to hybrids, and woods. There was a lot of swapping around in this category and with the current and new offerings, there is going to be quite a bit of options. I think people will be able to definitely find something in this part of the bag that will work for them. Jason did a lot of tweaks to dial everything in and reach the optimal numbers. It was at this part of the fitting I noticed that the Slinger @StevenS_CG , was checking in with Jason quite a bit. I assume it was one of a few possible reasons, he was curious with my speed, horrified by my accuracy, or terrified that his car in the parking lot may have been aligned to my slice. I will assume it was the later because there were a few squirrelly mis-hits in there.

Finally we were onto driver. I am currently in a driver from about 5 years ago, so I was hoping to pick up some gains here in accuracy and distance. We tried a couple different head/shaft combos in here as well until Jason found the combo that significantly changed my spin numbers and put me in the zone he was looking for. Can't really explain much right now without disclosing too much, but I'll say that this was a definite improvement over my current gamer as well, and I was seeing some great carry numbers.

At the end of the woods section I was totally wiped, but fully content in how it went. In this part of the bag I ended up with a mix of new offerings and Jason made adjustments to find the proper gapping. It was a departure from my current bag layout and I think it should really help at the top of the bag.

The fitting could not have gone better. Thanks Jason!

Final outcome.
2020 Driver cut to 45" set at 8* 75g X-flex
2020 3w + 13.5* 70g X-Flex
2020 5w - 70g X-Flex
2020 5i-GW 1* upright +1/2 DG x100 shaft
54* W-grind/60* X-Grind JAWS wedges 1* upright +1/2 DG x100 shaft

1576044064439.jpeg

1576044120693.jpeg
1576044144395.jpeg

Continued

Now onto the apparel presentation. I had this as the middle segment of the 3 and I think the timing for this was great. I was wiped after the fitting so I was able to take a break and just soak in the info on all the new lineup of all the new apparel. Some of the new quarter zips are really nice and the way they designed all the stitching to maximize range of motion was really interesting. Guess what.....it works. It was at that point I had realized that almost 90% of the club fitting I was wearing the 1/4 zip with the new stitching and never even noticed it. It didn't impede my swing at all and as others had said, I think one of the biggest complements we have about it, is that while it looks great, literally many of us never noticed we had it on from a comfort perspective. We also had a section about the the Cuater lineup of shoes and accessories. Cuater is a division of Travis Mathew and has all sorts of new things on the horizon that I think many THPers will like. For us, what we can talk about for now is the shoes. I got a pair of 'MoneyMakers' to wear and they were excellent. Extremely comfortable, an aggressive spikeless grip and waterproof as well. We played the whole next day in rain and at the end, my feet were dry, comfortable, and no blisters. That is frankly amazing for me out of the box, and I usually have to wear a band-aid on my heel for protection in almost all golf shoes. These had zero issues with me, and I'll probably be picking up another pair in a different color. I'll be giving them a good scrub down after the muddy day we had and will update the Cuater thread as I get more rounds in with them.

Last but not least, we get to the putter fitting with @Luke WilliamsCG . I had a putter fitting fairly recently and already play a putter shape similar to the #10 now, so that is what I had my eye on the whole time. I tried a couple models in the warmup but still gravitated to the #10. @Luke WilliamsCG had me line up and hit several putts to get a baseline then hooked me up the to the alignment laser to check where I was lining up. I was only slightly off there, so he made a few other tweaks and had me roll a few more. We went back and forth a couple times on the double bend model vs the slant neck and ultimately we decided on the double bend as the way to go. After that Luke asked me a few more questions, looked at the lie angle and and agreed that we needed to go a little flatter, and 1/2 in shorter on the shaft, along with the oddysey pistol grip. I had already had it in my mind that this was the putter I wanted to go with and was excited that Luke also agreed that it was the right way to go. Really happy with the way the putter fitting went, I dropped a few big time putts with it over the next few days. Thanks @Luke WilliamsCG

Also a big thanks to @TylerSheanCG and @StevenS_CG for ensuring everyone was happy with their fitting outcomes and handling all the extra details and paperwork to make sure we all had everything we needed, thanks fellas.

Soooooo, according to the Shipshow podcast I watched last night (with Henrik Stenson as a guest), apparently @Snickerdog needs to change his name to Snickerdoodle.....?

It doesn't look like this has happened yet.....

Soooooo, according to the Shipshow podcast I watched last night (with Henrik Stenson as a guest), apparently @Snickerdog needs to change his name to Snickerdoodle.....?

yep! A 30 day name change is in order.

Finally caught up on all of the recaps. Dudes are killing it!!

Day 3 recap:
The day had finally arrived: time to roll into The Hideaway for the first day of matches. The sky was a bit foreboding, but we were just ready to get there. Scripting was on point again, and both @badolds and I had been in good form coming in, so we felt ready to roll.
1576074046592.jpeg1576074088429.jpeg1576074118470.jpeg
The rain couldn’t dampen our spirits as we got off the bus and proceeded to enter the breakfast room. Here they were: the legendary breakfast sliders. Some of my heathen teammates (they shall not be named) say that part of the magic of the breakfast slider is where you are eating them. Hard disagree. These things are as perfect as a breakfast sandwich gets. There were some delicious parfaits as well.1576074165258.jpeg

After a brief stop in the proshop, Dan and I headed down to the range for a bit to get grooving. The groove was not there. 1576074274365.jpegTry as I might, something was just going on with my swing and I couldn’t put multiple shots together. Grabbed a Blueberry Lemonade Vodka and headed out to the course, we were determined to enjoy the day regardless of the weather and how we were swinging it.

We started on 17 (Best Ball) and I managed to match Browning those to holes to have that match AS while we flipped nines to go to shamble. Slinger’s ball was not slinging, but it was clear that Browning was going to have a day: his swing was grooved and he was absolutely pounding the new driver and his long irons off the tee. In the shamble format, Dan and I could not get it going at all. One of us would hit a good shot, and the other could just not follow it up. Between the conditions, new clubs, and nerves, the Zoo Crew boys waxed us. I was getting a bit down on myself around this point, but luckily Mike G was around to calm me down.1576074342542.jpeg

The weather started to improve at this point, and @badolds and I started hitting some better shots and sinking some putts. Somehow, we managed to grind out a win in the best ball format, and have to say, that felt good.1576074362621.jpeg
After the round, we assembled for the horserace, and what an absolute blast that was. I got paired with Tyler and he hit a nice little 4 iron to the middle of the fairway for me, perfect position. My distances were off all day, and I had a number where I’d generally hit 7iron. Decided to club up to a 6 and I hit a low thin miss that rolled out quite a bit to where Tyler could put me close for a par putt. The nerves, atmosphere, new putter, and JRod reassuring me that I “definitely won’t make this putt” and what do you know? I pushed it a hair right!
Regardless, this new addition was an absolute blast and we were all cracking up the whole time. This really put the whole event in perspective for me: no matter what, you’re supposed to have a great time. And we did.
We had a little bit of time to recharge before heading out for a Mexican feast. The large margaritas were as big as my head, and this was the point when everyone on the trip who didn’t already know realized that I look like Harry Potter.1576074422725.jpeg
Had a great evening chatting with @clarkgriswold and @EthanatorCG , enjoying the food and company, and watching Ethan pound tequila shots only to follow that up with ordering churros and ice cream. The man is a machine.
1576074459944.jpeg
As I hadn’t pre-Nested the night prior, it was time to venture forth into the unknown. We pulled up and there was some sort of outside chill area with some 60+ers congregating and staring at the young lads and @Snickerdog as we exited the bus. After being carded and getting inside, my senses were overwhelmed. This place is, without a doubt, the strangest place I’ve ever set foot in. To add to this surreal entry, the musician (if we want to call him that) at the keyboard was playing a rousing cover of Weird Al Yankovic’s seminal work, “Jurassic Park.” I am not joking.

Luke provided some fireball shots and we mingled for a bit, but I couldn’t shake the feeling of being hopelessly out of place. The dance floor was surprisingly not bumping so there was no draw to dance with cougars, and once the clown came in and started slow dancing with one of the younger ladies at the establishment, I knew it was time to GTFO. Second Uber Out.
1576074536275.jpeg
1576074564929.jpeg

I vote there needs to be a 30 day change also........he got beat.

Sizzle doesn't have to change to fizzle because he took care of business
I mean, it just seems like the right thing to do...

The bet was is @jeffneubarth lost in singles, which he did then I would change my name for 30 days. Thanks to @j_sizzle9 for taking him down.

However, as I am a good sport and the people want to see it I will do it.

Every recap from Jourdan just makes me read it like HP is narrating. Looking forward to his recap of night three, aka Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Nestkaban.

Y’all are killing it recap wise!

Harry Potter, that's tremendous. Who came up with that?

Every recap from Jourdan just makes me read it like HP is narrating. Looking forward to his recap of night three, aka Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Nestkaban.

Y’all are killing it recap wise!

I dont even know what this says. Do you have a dork translator for me? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I kid, but seriously no idea what that is.

I dont even know what this says. Do you have a dork translator for me? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Haha, unfortunately I do get where he is coming from, but then I have watched the Harry Potter films

Book three in the Harry Potter series was called Prisoner of Azkaban. Azkaban was like a high security jail where it was deemed impossible to escape. Kinda like the Nest haha

Book three in the Harry Potter series was called Prisoner of Azkaban. Azkaban was like a high security jail where it was deemed impossible to escape. Kinda like the Nest haha

You are not making it better. :love:

You are not making it better. :love:

You’re not making it easier not knowing anything about a pretty long running popular series haha

Back