LIVE UPDATE THREAD 2019 The Grandaddy with Callaway Golf

I did have it in the EFSZ. I have only hit the new stuff indoors aside from the two rounds in December. But, the Ventus Red is like a polar opposite to the hzrdus green. The hulk has a super stiff tip and mid section. Ventus Red has a softer tip and is really designed to get the ball up in a hurry.

So, with that said, I'm hitting the Ventus Red high. Borderline too high. I'll really have to see how it performs outside. The hzrdus green was just tight and uniform. Could handle anything you could give it.

Did the fitter give you a reason he wanted you in a high launching shaft?

Ha, I really only had time to try two driver shafts. He started with the Ventus Blue, then moved me into the Red because I was losing the ball to the right. It's a little higher launching than what I've used in the past, and I've played some higher launching stuff (blueboard, kaili, ad tp) with good success. We'll see how it shakes out when the snow melts.

@MattyD-MPLS I think the after-market options most of us tested were ad iz, ventus blue/red, and maybe tensei blue iirc. a lot of guys (myself included) got on really well with the stock riptide during the fitting.

@MattyD-MPLS I think the after-market options most of us tested were ad iz, ventus blue/red, and maybe tensei blue iirc. a lot of guys (myself included) got on really well with the stock riptide during the fitting.
Yeah, I think the fitters were well aware of what a one hour time restriction for a full bag fitting brings. Just not enough time to go through the full gamut of shafts and have you hit every head there is. I think, at least in my fitting, he took what I told him about my game and what he saw of my swing during the iron portion and had a pretty good idea where to go with the woods.

If I had one word of advice in regards to preparing your game for the event, it would be to try and do what you can to optimize the fitting. The competition is what it is. It's not really the purpose of the event in my eyes. Getting team THP in Callaway gear that will fit them well and give us the best opportunity to make sure the gear fits our games so we can provide ongoing feedback once the season kicks off is Paramount in my eyes.

Can't let the pressures of the competition cloud your mind during your own preparation. Bringing a repeatable swing to the fitting is so important. Get the most out of that hour because it goes quickly.

I, unfortunately, didn't bring my A game. Maybe it was the travel issues the day before and rolling in to HQ at the very end of the presentation and never feeling settled, maybe it was the pressure of having a bunch of people I've never met standing behind me while I swung clubs in paradise months after our season ended. I don't know. Spent a lot of time with irons as I was struggling. Once we got to driver, we were low on time and Nick had to use his judgement a lot to steer that portion. Time was up and I hadn't even hit a fairway wood. Made a judgement call of my own and went with what i had played in the past.

Since the event, I've had a few opportunities to hit my clubs in my own environment and the swing has improved substantially since then. Ball speed is like 10+mph better with the driver. Irons are a lot straighter with even more distance gains now. But, so far, with my fitters expertise, everything still seems to be fitting me pretty well. My only question mark is the driver launch. It gets pretty windy here, so I'll have to see how this new high ball flight shakes out.

So, after all of this rambling, what I'm trying to say is don't worry about the competition. If any future participants are wondering about what they should do to prepare, the answer is focus on making sure your swing is repeatable for your fitting. Trust the fitters and make sure you can tell them as much about your game as you can. It'll help them in the limited time that they get to spend with you.

Since the event, I've had a few opportunities to hit my clubs in my own environment and the swing has improved substantially since then. Ball speed is like 10+mph better with the driver. Irons are a lot straighter with even more distance gains now. But, so far, with my fitters expertise, everything still seems to be fitting me pretty well. My only question mark is the driver launch. It gets pretty windy here, so I'll have to see how this new high ball flight shakes out.

i'm really interested to follow your journey once your weather improves. there's a video that another outfit did seeing whether it's better to hit a low stinger into the wind, or a high ball with low spin. they found the high ball with low spin was the better choice. very counterintuitive.

i'm really interested to follow your journey once your weather improves. there's a video that another outfit did seeing whether it's better to hit a low stinger into the wind, or a high ball with low spin. they found the high ball with low spin was the better choice. very counterintuitive.
That's been my go to. I hit up on the ball and am typically a lower spin guy. This combo is just even higher (so far) than what I'm used to seeing with more spin. If it keeps me straighter while not getting absolutely destroyed by the wind, I'll be happy.

It's one thing my fitter mentioned when I was getting 2600+ rpm during the fitting. I'm used to the low 2k's and I asked if we wanted to try and get the spin down. He said no, that's right where the tour guys try to get in that mid 2k window. I'm ok with that spin numbers if I can bring the launch down a bit. Admittedly, there are some fundamental flaws that I need to work out on my end. I'm delivering too much spin loft. If I can get that under control, I should see launch come down.

Agree so much with what Radi said above. All the fitters can do is fit you for the swing you brought that day (with nerves included), and they do an amazing job for the limited time they have with you. I was working hard to groove my swing, but I had some major things to work on, so I wasn't there yet by the time the GD rolled around. Now that those new moves are becoming second nature, I am swinging much freer, and thus faster.

Agree so much with what Radi said above. All the fitters can do is fit you for the swing you brought that day (with nerves included), and they do an amazing job for the limited time they have with you. I was working hard to groove my swing, but I had some major things to work on, so I wasn't there yet by the time the GD rolled around. Now that those new moves are becoming second nature, I am swinging much freer, and thus faster.

I give a lot of credit to past participants, particularly @tequila4kapp. he really settled me down going into the fitting. basically kept hammering in that these fitters are the best in the world. Even if you shank everything, or chunk everything, they can see enough to still give you a great fitting.

My swing has changed A LOT since then. I don't have the trackman numbers yet, might get some tomorrow, but I suspect my launch and spin are both up a good bit with better fundamentals. I may also go back to playing a little push draw, vs the cut I was working on last year and told Gerritt I wanted to play with my GD setup. The good news is even with the changes, I don't think I'll need to replace anything. The equipment we got was just THAT good.

Even me being on the slower end of the swingspeed spectrum, the fitter didn't have me try more than one shaft. Part of it is trust, you have to trust them, the are all Master fitters and know how to read the trackman #'s and will make it work and give you the best they can.

I give a lot of credit to past participants, particularly @tequila4kapp. he really settled me down going into the fitting. basically kept hammering in that these fitters are the best in the world. Even if you shank everything, or chunk everything, they can see enough to still give you a great fitting.

My swing has changed A LOT since then. I don't have the trackman numbers yet, might get some tomorrow, but I suspect my launch and spin are both up a good bit with better fundamentals. I may also go back to playing a little push draw, vs the cut I was working on last year and told Gerritt I wanted to play with my GD setup. The good news is even with the changes, I don't think I'll need to replace anything. The equipment we got was just THAT good.

I was swinging 93-94 with driver at the ECPC. That keeps going up. I’m about 8 mph faster than that and my Riptide shaft is still holding up really well. And the Standard head remains perfect for me.

The fitters are SO good. They don’t even necessarily need to see impact. They know just from your swing. I was so blown away by things Nick knew about me just by seeing me swing a couple times.

Lol, in all fairness, I don't think he was too concerned about having to follow through with that.

Although, I often think about the Garage Chicago that could have been! Team 2020 will have to be out for blood.
Yeah, it’s a sweet offer but it’s such an uphill battle for Team THP - compounded by the fact this event is about so much more than focusing on winning - that Sean probably knows he’s not exactly putting Callaway’s stock at risk with the potential giveaway ?

One other point I'd make is the THPers also drive a lot of the fun with their updates. Having the right people willing to share their experiences with strangers online while giving their updates makes following the event so much more fun.
This is a great observation. The right people with the right attitude under the guidance of solid leaders like @McLovin and @mikeg_74 make all the difference

Last edited:
Thank you for all of your feedback today guys! The fitting is something I have always dreamed of doing and I can’t believe I will be fit for clubs at the same place Xander, Phil, CH3(one of my favorite golfers of all time!) and all my Grandaddy bretheren!

My goal is to take a month off after my golf season which is usually around the end of September. I could play most of October but cold and layers aren’t my ideal playing conditions. I will then ramp up the indoor practice sessions in November.

I feel so good about my swing right now and hopefully it stays with me.

My year we did discuss things some but there isn’t that much time to talk shop. The essence was the fitter asking me to try things. Me giving feedback that I did/did not like the feel of certain shafts then the fitter saying he liked a certain product best for me. I didn’t ask to look at numbers, I just trusted him. It worked out great, even when I didn’t get the iron shafts we discussed (I do think there’s an element of rolling with the flow and not getting hung up on the minutia...it’s an hour fitting for a full bag)

Last edited:
Pretty excited to have my first REAL round of golf tomorrow morning since the grandaddy. @McLovin and I will tee it up in Orlando at 730am.

Really excited to get in some golf this time of year. Also of note, first round with the new Mav Pro Irons :love:. (Since I played with apex pros in the grandaddy)

Pretty excited to have my first REAL round of golf tomorrow morning since the grandaddy. @McLovin and I will tee it up in Orlando at 730am.

Really excited to get in some golf this time of year. Also of note, first round with the new Mav Pro Irons :love:. (Since I played with apex pros in the grandaddy)
Maiden voyage! Have fun guys!

Thanks for the invite ?
Kidding of course

Can't wait to hear how the Mac Pro irons perform. Are you guys going to be live updating?

Thanks for the invite ?
Kidding of course
A 5 hour round during Florida’s peak golf season?? Sounds right up your alley! ;)

If a Friday 8am tee time takes 5 hours, then you and @McLovin are way too slow.

I blame the 1-hour frost delay and 4 groups that were in front of us.

I blame the 1-hour frost delay and 4 groups that were in front of us.
The conditions looked beautiful from the pictures!

Before I teed off today I happened to notice two guys checking out my Grandaddy bag when I came out of the clubhouse. "Whats up fellas? Not much, just checking the irons out." Pulled one out of the bag so they could check it out, put some grass swings on it. One noticed the MD5 wedge so pulled it and answered a few questions.
Then the story, start to finish!!!! The website, the contests, the trip not missing any details. It is so awesome watching the faces of people when you tell them how you won all of this and the things you got to do and all the wonderful people you got to meet along the way and on the trip.

I will never get tired of telling the story and how much it meant to me to take the journey with 12 strangers that I met on the internet and the bonds that have been made because of it. It has definitely been the golfing highlight of my life and something I will never forget.

Before I teed off today I happened to notice two guys checking out my Grandaddy bag when I came out of the clubhouse. "Whats up fellas? Not much, just checking the irons out." Pulled one out of the bag so they could check it out, put some grass swings on it. One noticed the MD5 wedge so pulled it and answered a few questions.
Then the story, start to finish!!!! The website, the contests, the trip not missing any details. It is so awesome watching the faces of people when you tell them how you won all of this and the things you got to do and all the wonderful people you got to meet along the way and on the trip.

I will never get tired of telling the story and how much it meant to me to take the journey with 12 strangers that I met on the internet and the bonds that have been made because of it. It has definitely been the golfing highlight of my life and something I will never forget.
I've followed it year after year and I'm still blown away following it every year.

Back