LIVE UPDATE THREAD 2019 The Grandaddy with Callaway Golf

I need to work on my on-course cognitive abilities. I’m terrible at remembering shots on particular holes and I can’t let that happen at the Hideaway! It’s really cool seeing you guys vividly revisit these awesome memories over 6 months later.

Technically it was to tie the match, and I laid up.......into a bush. I don’t think Matt went for it either but I ended up skulling my chip into the water anyway, so it was over. I still replay that hole in my head, I should have went for it, as it suited my fade. But I was already 0/3 on par 3s so I didn’t want to send one into the water. I’m surprised @Snickerdog didn’t give a detailed account including wind speed and temperature. I think he still remembers every shot of both of our rounds, meanwhile I only remember the first and the last. Both of which ended up in the water.
So note to all those playing, just go for it.

I laid up in my last round because I didnt want to chance going in the water by hitting 3w into a peninsula green. Nice lay up shot, then blade my wedge over everything into the drink. Should have just gone for it!

I need to work on my on-course cognitive abilities. I’m terrible at remembering shots on particular holes and I can’t let that happen at the Hideaway! It’s really cool seeing you guys vividly revisit these awesome memories over 6 months later.
I stink at it. Even not at the Hideaway, between trying to keep the score and learn a new course all just trying to take the whole thing in I don’t remember holes details as much as I’d like. Thank goodness for Snickerdog/Mike_g/Jrod keeping my head in it after the first few holes where I almost imploded. If I was to do it again I would definitely have purchased some sort of cart mount for the phone and possibly a go pro or something. I have lots of good photos but not a lot of the context of each one.

I’m not good at remembering shot by shot, but there’s some shots that are burned into my memory because they were such fun/awesome/beautiful/terrible shots. ;). The pace is so fast that I had initially thought about making quick notes on club selection or shot specifics, but thatwent out the window after the first hole. ;)

Technically it was to tie the match, and I laid up.......into a bush. I don’t think Matt went for it either but I ended up skulling my chip into the water anyway, so it was over. I still replay that hole in my head, I should have went for it, as it suited my fade. But I was already 0/3 on par 3s so I didn’t want to send one into the water. I’m surprised @Snickerdog didn’t give a detailed account including wind speed and temperature. I think he still remembers every shot of both of our rounds, meanwhile I only remember the first and the last. Both of which ended up in the water.
@gkeller813 @clarkgriswold might be leaving out some details here so I will kinda get you the bigger picture.
On hole 17 there is the green with water in front, a big hill to the right. Bunkers short right and back right.
So standing on the tee box I tell Jay,
Me: "hey man you gotta go for the green and put the pressure on him, he will fold"
Jay: No I don't think so, I can play safe and try to get up and down
Me: No , go for it you got this!!!! He had been making good shots all afternoon when need and I felt confident he could pull it off.
Jay: No, I better swing easy and lay up and ill be fine.
Me: Jay this is your shot at Grandaddy glory and getting a half point man!!!
Jay: You're crazy, I'm gonna lay up
Me: You're going to regret this Jay.

Jay lays up with a quality slice and up on the hill around a bush, so we are like 80 feet about the green now and Jay blades it and goes into the water.
Matt had hit deep and into the bunker with hardly a chance to get up and down but made bogey and still won.

I can't fault @clarkgriswold for his choice, but I will always remind him also. ;)
I had a great 18 holes with Jay as we had a lot of fun and laughs the whole time.

I’m glad Snicks is focused on you and not the 3 foot net birdie putt I missed on 7 to bring us within one of Darth Finley and Neubarth... 🤣
Oh I have not forgotten brother, I still have nightmares over it.
But I also won't forget the fun we had and scaring the crap out of you when the carts spun on the wet cart path either :p

@gkeller813 @clarkgriswold might be leaving out some details here so I will kinda get you the bigger picture.
On hole 17 there is the green with water in front, a big hill to the right. Bunkers short right and back right.
So standing on the tee box I tell Jay,
Me: "hey man you gotta go for the green and put the pressure on him, he will fold"
Jay: No I don't think so, I can play safe and try to get up and down
Me: No , go for it you got this!!!! He had been making good shots all afternoon when need and I felt confident he could pull it off.
Jay: No, I better swing easy and lay up and ill be fine.
Me: Jay this is your shot at Grandaddy glory and getting a half point man!!!
Jay: You're crazy, I'm gonna lay up
Me: You're going to regret this Jay.

Jay lays up with a quality slice and up on the hill around a bush, so we are like 80 feet about the green now and Jay blades it and goes into the water.
Matt had hit deep and into the bunker with hardly a chance to get up and down but made bogey and still won.

I can't fault @clarkgriswold for his choice, but I will always remind him also. ;)
I had a great 18 holes with Jay as we had a lot of fun and laughs the whole time.
Thanks for adding some depth to the storyline!

Guys, this talk about one single hole, which is a small part of a much greater experience, has been fantastic! Seriously, I'm always glad when i jump in this thread and just listen to the banter and memories! 2019 was a special group, and you guys are keeping the memories alive and well for us here.

Short version. Go for it. There is no other option

Was scrolling thru some videos tonight. This was shot at Callaway Headquarters. Moments like these are what The Grandaddy and Team THP is about.

Wanted to share a little recap video that Asscap @mikeg_74 put together. This shows what the Grandaddy is really about and why it’s so special.

Last edited:
Wanted to share a little recap video that Asscap @mikeg_74 put together. This shows what the Grandaddy is really about and why it’s so special.

That looks like an awesome once in a lifetime experience! Congrats to all that are fortunate enough to participate and @mikeg_74 and @Snickerdog and the rest of the "G" alumni, thank you for pulling back the curtains a bit to show us what a special time and event that is

That looks like an awesome once in a lifetime experience! Congrats to all that are fortunate enough to participate and @mikeg_74 and @Snickerdog and the rest of the "G" alumni, thank you for pulling back the curtains a bit to show us what a special time and event that is
Mike did an awesome job putting it together. Definitely won't be something I will ever forget.

The ensemble wasn't quite complete. Sure, a t-shirt tucked into sweatpants is classy enough. But, it was just missing that extra wow factor...

IMG_20200729_124940_112.jpg

Last edited:
Memories.

The last pick for the grandmama is coming right? Or already picked???

I've gone through this one a few times already. Such a fun time with a bunch of great THPers

Thought I would bump this. Have been reading back thru and only on page 61. Just to much fun.

Thought I would bump this. Have been reading back thru and only on page 61. Just to much fun.
I went through this one while on my beach vacation and plan to go through it again!!

I went through this one while on my beach vacation and plan to go through it again!!
I find new things or things I missed the first two times. The memories are what get me.

Well it’s raining out, season almost over. Might as well read through all 235 pages again. Man this was an awesome experience.

1602908372107.png

Well it’s raining out, season almost over. Might as well read through all 235 pages again. Man this was an awesome experience.

View attachment 8969699
I’ve been in the 2018 thread several times this year. It’s still hard to wrap my head around two years later. $35 and an contest entry gave me access to all of this. Unreal.

Man, I tell you what. Today has been a day. Like the entirety of negativity energy from 2020 just hit this household like a freight train. Taking some time to reflect on the positives in life. Hard to do without coming back here. When I feel like the weight of the world is getting to be too much, I come back and focus on the good things in life.

Going through pictures on my phone looking for some information that I needed and came across this.

Screenshot_20200419-122933_Gallery.jpg

It set me on a trip down memory lane that lead me back here at a moment where I really needed it.

Sitting here in disbelief. It's been 11 months since the trip. Feels like yesterday.

Back