2020(1) Summer Olympics

Chinese dominance in diving is unreal. They may go 1-2 in all solo events both men and women.

Carl Lewis is not happy.

Damien Warner is flirting with a 9000 in the Decathlon with 2 events to go

I think it's disgusting that these athletes have to wear masks while their anthem(s) play on the podium. Notice how the second their anthems stop, their masks abruptly come off so they can cozy right up next to (and breath on) their competitors for photos. The people who have implemented this policy aren't that bright, are they.

Also, it appears the Australian women's soccer lost the Bronze Medal game. :(

I think it's disgusting that these athletes have to wear masks while their anthem(s) play on the podium. Notice how the second their anthems stop, their masks abruptly come off so they can cozy right up next to (and breath on) their competitors for photos. The people who have implemented this policy aren't that bright, are they.

Also, it appears the Australian women's soccer lost the Bronze Medal game. :(
A brace by Lloyd and one by Rapinoe! And both of Rapinoe’s goals were 🔥🔥

My wife likes watching swimming but other than golf I am surprised to see so many people on here watching the Olympics. Go CAN go in the soccer game!

Carl Lewis is not happy.

US Men may not win a gold medal on the track in this Olympics. It would be only the second time ever and the first was 1980 when the US boycotted the games in Moscow.

A brace by Lloyd and one by Rapinoe! And both of Rapinoe’s goals were 🔥🔥
You should see the comments towards the women's team on the U.S. Soccer Facebook page. Not a lot of support for them from what I am seeing there.

Lindsey Horan is a total babe though - I definitely support her. :cool:

You should see the comments towards the women's team on the U.S. Soccer Facebook page. Not a lot of support for them from what I am seeing there.

Lindsey Horan is a total babe though - I definitely support her. :cool:
I definitely don’t need to dive into those corners of the internet to see what people are typing about. It wasn’t always the highest quality of soccer, but I certainly enjoyed watching them in the Olympics. Not as much as I enjoyed watching hammer throw (freaking awesome!), but happy to see them medal despite having gold medal aspirations.

I definitely don’t need to dive into those corners of the internet to see what people are typing about. It wasn’t always the highest quality of soccer, but I certainly enjoyed watching them in the Olympics. Not as much as I enjoyed watching hammer throw (freaking awesome!), but happy to see them medal despite having gold medal aspirations.
I wouldn't call Facebook a "corner". My only point is, a lot of Americans aren't happy with them and their antics. My guess is 8 to 2 judging from the comments there at least.

Question (to all here): are joggers/long distance runners "athletes"?

I don't know if I would call cross country athletic. Since every human on the planet can jog/run (albeit not in the times the Olympians can), I don't know if I would call them athletes/athletic.

I don't know if I would call cross country athletic. Since every human on the planet can jog/run (albeit not in the times the Olympians can), I don't know if I would call them athletes/athletic.

I wouldn't call Facebook a "corner". My only point is, a lot of Americans aren't happy with them and their antics. My guess is 8 to 2 judging from the comments there at least.

Meh I’m not worried about what other folks think. I’m a Philly fan and lots of people don’t like us 🤷‍♂️ in my house we cheered for the USWNT just like we cheered for Katie Ledecky, Caeleb Dressel, Simone Biles, etc.

As for runners, they’re OG athletes and are absolutely athletes by definition.
691612E5-9E5C-4559-BAD4-58867F062176.jpeg

you have to be athletic to run those kind of distances and at the speeds they run them...so i vote yes

with hardly anything on at night, besides the phillies, i found myself turning on the Olympics now every night. my wife and my daughter love watching the gymnastics. and who doesn't get a chuckle out of watching the dressage event? that was cool. i wish they would show more of the obscure events but maybe i am just turning it on at the wrong times.

you have to be athletic to run those kind of distances and at the speeds they run them...so i vote yes

Fair enough. I just saw a comment from a sports reporter (who shall remain unnamed since I don't like him, TBH) that said track stars weren't "athletes" in the traditional sense.

Things I think display athleticism:

Draining 3-pointers
Shelving a 90mph slapshot
Hitting a backhand perfectly down the line
Throwing a breaking ball 90mph
Hitting a 90mph breaking ball
Lionel Messi doing his thing is athleticism on another level.

And I could go on...

These Olympic games always make me wonder about some of the events. Curling - I wonder if everyone here thinks curlers are athletes as well? Do we think "speedwalking" in these Olympic games is a display of athleticism? :D

Personally I think "speed walking" as an Olympic events is an abomination.

Fair enough. I just saw a comment from a sports reporter (who shall remain unnamed since I don't like him, TBH) that said track stars weren't "athletes" in the traditional sense.

Draining 3-pointers

And I could go on...

These Olympic games always make me wonder about some of the events. Curling - I wonder if everyone here thinks curlers are athletes as well? Do we think "speedwalking" in these Olympic games is a display of athleticism? :D

Athletes come in many different shapes and sizes and specialize in many different disciplines.
1628193456271.jpeg

There are definitely athletically gifted heavy people. I don't disagree.

But do you think every person who has ever run a marathon are athletic?
For sure! Every person who has run a marathon from start to finish is an athlete in my mind. I guess other sports like curling more border on hobbyist rather than athlete, but I would never include runners in that group.

9018 for Warner (CAN) in the Decathlon, the 5th ever 9000+

There are definitely athletically gifted heavy people. I don't disagree.

But do you think every person who has ever run a marathon are athletic?
keep the comically bad takes coming, Skip
when does your show on ESPN5 or FS2/3/4 start

Draining 3-pointers

And I could go on...

Holy crap, I just turned on the coverage and they have on speed walking. Wow it is funny watching.

I used to love climbing. Those dudes are straight up FREAKS the way they vault those walls.
It’s mesmerizing! They’re unbelievable.

Back