2020(1) Summer Olympics

What do ratings even mean any more though honestly? I watched most of the Olympics from the internet. I am definitely not the demographic that does that but it was easier to find what I wanted to watch.
and from what I hear the American TV coverage was rather poor.

ratings everywhere are down (Masters this year = woof!) yet sports remains the #1 property

I love the Olympics and usually watch everything I can from the opening ceremony to the closing. But, I just couldn’t get invested this year!🤷‍♂️ I would love to go to LA in 2028 though!

It was weird to have a British woman hosting for US NBC...

The whole timing of events had to hurt. When you can wake up and get the results of most of the days events over the morning news. It sure was easy to skip watching the replay later.

What do ratings even mean any more though honestly? I watched most of the Olympics from the internet. I am definitely not the demographic that does that but it was easier to find what I wanted to watch.
I think there is a disconnect from younger adults...my nephews are 23 and I would bet they didn't watch 1 second of the Olympics. When I was their age we would all sit together and watch...cheer on team USA.

So you're losing (don't know actual numbers) that demo and then add in the political nonsense and you are losing another whole set of demo. Plus people that watch everything on the internet.

Not being political but you can see how people just want to watch something without being preached too. Espy's, Oscar's, all those garbage awards shows are way down. I tune in to escape that nonsense.

ratings everywhere are down (Masters this year = woof!) yet sports remains the #1 property

Poor is a understatement. I can't stand NBC's coverage. I watched considerably less of this Olympics than in the past. NBC had a lot to do with it. And when I watched, I had the volume muted.

I remember having the special three channel Olympics Triplecast in 1992. My older brother and I both being runners, and my dad having run in high school and college, we all sat and watched just about everything we could.

Correct! The stuff on Peacock was so good, you could choose what you wanted to watch and when you wanted to watch it. The days of ratings being relevant for any event are now irrelevant.

NPR had a really interesting discussion on the Olympics ratings. There are a ton of things factoring in but it sounds like todays environment with easily accessible streaming was by far the biggest contributor. The point they made is that most people are moving away from traditional cable and the majority of the market has access to streaming service where they can choose from any tv show or movie ever made at any time and with so many options traditional live and recorded sports will just never perform the way they used to. You can't really compare the ratings from this Olympics to past ones in a meaningful way. Ratings aside I really enjoyed the Olympics and the coverage and watched a ton of different events. Some cheesy announcers at times who probably don't get much air time for some of the obscure events but nothing too bad.

Yes the number of old fashion cable subscribers has dropped some but not 49%.

I actually enjoyed watching the Olympics. I watched much more then I thought I would. Not sure if it was the time I tuned in but I did not see 1 medal ceremony and if the news didn't show it 1,000,000 times I would have never known the one lady showed the diamond dallas page X.

I actually enjoyed watching the Olympics. I watched much more then I thought I would. Not sure if it was the time I tuned in but I did not see 1 medal ceremony and if the news didn't show it 1,000,000 times I would have never known the one lady showed the diamond dallas page X.

Props to you for the DDP reference.

Guaranteed the ratings drop is related to things we can't discuss here. ;)

Back