2020(1) Summer Olympics

So the Russian Olympic ban is basically that they have to call themselves Russian Olympic Committee instead of Russia and no one is actually banned? Don't be so harsh IOC.

So the Russian Olympic ban is basically that they have to call themselves Russian Olympic Committee instead of Russia and no one is actually banned? Don't be so harsh IOC.
Correct. Complete nonsense

Rhambo is out...again, with the thing. :confused:

IMO , just because you rebrand a product , does not take away from the core product ,,,

l don’t know the details of the story above , but if you systemically or incidentally allow the organised doping etc of team or individuals and turn a blind eye to it as a country or association, how do you think you should be able to compete ?..

tell me that’s fair for the others who‘s hard work , financial commitment and sacrifice , to play by the rules not above and flout them .... fits ?

If country A did it, sorry , you are banned in any way shape or form , if person A did same , same result , when we allow avenues for the accused to continue , we are part of the problem, acceptance.

IMO , just because you rebrand a product , does not take away from the core product ,,,

l don’t know the details of the story above , but if you systemically or incidentally allow the organised doping etc of team or individuals and turn a blind eye to it as a country or association, how do you think you should be able to compete ?..

tell me that’s fair for the others who‘s hard work , financial commitment and sacrifice , to play by the rules not above and flout them .... fits ?

If country A did it, sorry , you are banned in any way shape or form , if person A did same , same result , when we allow avenues for the accused to continue , we are part of the problem, acceptance.
Yes, IMO if your country's Olympic Committee is tampering with drug test samples than the doping should be assumed nationwide and systematic. When they announced the countrywide ban I thought that is what they meant. I am not sure what this is. I certainly would not call it a ban.

Ariarne Titmus (AUS) beats Ledecky (USA) in the W 400 freestyle

14-year-old Summer McIntosh sets a Canadian record but finishes 4th

Last edited:

Terrific result Aus , it’s a sport of such narrow margins like running* too

I'm sure I am having recency bias but watching Simone Biles I feel like I am easily watching the best ever and someone that is far superior to anyone she is competing against. In my lifetime only Tiger felt like this to me.

I'm sure I am having recency bias but watching Simone Biles I feel like I am easily watching the best ever and someone that is far superior to anyone she is competing against. In my lifetime only Tiger felt like this to me.
Nadia?

Such a good race, my adrenaline was going. Sad to see Ledecky go down but congrats to Timus she was flying at the end.

I apologize if anyone here is a skateboarder but if you are able to participate in your olympic sport wearing cargo pants I have a real hard time accepting it as a sport.

She may be the best athlete of all time let alone gymnastics. No other gymnast has ever been able to do the things she does. It’s incredible to watch I’m constantly in awe of her performances.

I apologize if anyone here is a skateboarder but if you are able to participate in your olympic sport wearing cargo pants I have a real hard time accepting it as a sport.
😂

Our women are better players than their competition, which is not as stiff as what the men face. Think about it. There are a lot of places in this world where women are simply NOT ALLOWED to participate in sports, whereas here, it is encouraged. And men from many more countries play soccer, and in some cases it is their national sport!

Don't get me wrong, love seeing our ladies achieve. But let's be realistic.

Actually, her Mother died while she was training out in Oregon or Washington, so yeah, maybe it was. Stress relief, pain relief, grief relief, who knows?

And I think it's absolutely stupid to test for marijuana any more. I think that it is very well established that pot is NOT a PED! It's for the things I mentioned above. It has been shown to be non-addictive and NOT a "gateway" drug.

You know what are gateway drugs? Opioid pain scrip medicines! And those are legal!

that’s not exactly accurate. I know ultra distance runners a couple use weed before they run as it puts them in a hazzy states that he said he can just mindlessly churn out miles.

we don’t typically think of it as performance enhancing but in the right sport it could be. Why are golfers using CBD for nerves? It could be a benefit in other areas.

regardless of if it helps or not. It is a rule. We can discuss if the rule is valid or not but it is a rule and it is the athletes job to know the rule.

Best thing about the Olympics so far!

Watching the women’s skateboarding. Seems to be a continuation of the men’s event. Just people falling off their skateboards. I’m not really feeling this as an Olympic event.

Titmus' coach is the early front runner for MVP of the Olympics

Laurie lawrence ( former Aus swim coach ) very animated and similar , passionate and invested in the individual and performance. You have to applaud the enthusiasm and animation so much goes into singular moments.

Tiger is still 3 short of Jack's majors record. Just sayin'.

Haven’t been that interested in the skateboarding but watching these 13 year olds dominating the women’s street is pretty impressive.

She may be the best athlete of all time let alone gymnastics. No other gymnast has ever been able to do the things she does. It’s incredible to watch I’m constantly in awe of her performances.
Totally. On the Women's Vault today she did hers and fell off the side. The next girl did the same vault and she was about 10 feet shorter and lower than her. It wasn't even close.

Tiger is still 3 short of Jack's majors record. Just sayin'.
I'm 42 and didn't see Jack. and my post said in my lifetime. Plus I have never heard anyone that actually saw Jack argue that he was better than Tiger. Just sayin'.

A good day in the pool for Team GB. Adam Peaty wins gold in the 100m breast stroke, and now Tom Daley wins his first gold in the games in the Syncro diving. Well done chaps! 🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

I have never heard anyone that actually saw Jack argue that he was better than Tiger.

I've seen this argument many times and I have seen quite a few people say they still believe Jack is the greatest.

You are right about one thing: recent-bias clouds all our perceptions about the greatness of athletes and their context within history.

They did compete against each other though in some tournaments. Fun fact: Jack was 58 years old when he finished tied-6th, and ahead of a young Tiger Woods who had just won the year previously: https://www.augusta.com/masters/historic/leaderboards/1998

:D

Back