2020(1) Summer Olympics

This is so strange to me. Biles said she is not physically injured, but took a backseat due to stress?
But then another report said she left with doctor.
Conspiracy theory alert haha! Any chance this could be sports betting related?

Ugh I’m starting to lose it with these athletes. You can’t have the fortune without the fame. I’m not in a position to understand, but Biles did a ton of commercials and her face was everywhere. I don’t know.

Ugh I’m starting to lose it with these athletes. You can’t have the fortune without the fame. I’m not in a position to understand, but Biles did a ton of commercials and her face was everywhere. I don’t know.
I get that mental health is a big deal. But if I'm on a deadline, that's not a good time to take a mental health day.

China took gold in women’s synchro platform diving. They had the highest scoring dive in each of the six rounds and won by 53 points. USA took silver! There was only 33 points between second and eighth. That’s domination!

I get that mental health is a big deal. But if I'm on a deadline, that's not a good time to take a mental health day.

And there were no fans in the stand - if it was "stress" with no fans in the stands, I don't know what to say. Maybe she wanted to prove the team couldn't win Gold without her??

And there were no fans in the stand - if it was "stress" with no fans in the stands, I don't know what to say. Maybe she wanted to prove the team couldn't win Gold without her??
I mean, she's doing everything bigger and better than everyone else, and one foul up could lead to severe injury or death. Definitely have to be in it to excel.

playing what if here..... what does the perception become if Biles comes back and tries for individual medals... is she looked at as a hero for overcoming fear or extremely selfish for bailing on her team. I havent seen anything saying she has withdrawn completely from individual events as of yet

I mean, she's doing everything bigger and better than everyone else, and one foul up could lead to severe injury or death. Definitely have to be in it to excel.

I don't understand gymnastics but if she can do 50 flips but can't land without flopping all over the place, doesn't that take away from the grace of the sport?

I’ll say B, unless she’s truly physically injured...she let her team and endorsements down.

She needs to withdraw from all events or she looks like she’s placing herself above the team.

Last edited:
Just heard about Simone Biles. It’s easy to sit here and say what have you got to be stressed about, but the pressure on her shoulders must be huge. I’m not a gymnastics fan, but I keep hearing she’s now considered the best gymnast ever. With greatness comes great pressure.

The USA softball teams lost the Gold Medal game to Japan.

This is so strange to me. Biles said she is not physically injured, but took a backseat due to stress?
But then another report said she left with doctor.
I wonder if the fact she has struggled in her last couple events played a factor. No doubt she is the best ever and does much harder stuff than the others, but she was not herself in the trials nor yesterday in qualifying. On the other hand, her at 80% is still good enough to win gold.

I kinda miss the trapezoid lane in hoops.

Just heard about Simone Biles. It’s easy to sit here and say what have you got to be stressed about, but the pressure on her shoulders must be huge. I’m not a gymnastics fan, but I keep hearing she’s now considered the best gymnast ever. With greatness comes great pressure.
…and if you can’t deal with the pressure, then you’re not truly great IMO.

I wonder if the fact she has struggled in her last couple events played a factor. No doubt she is the best ever and does much harder stuff than the others, but she was not herself in the trials nor yesterday in qualifying. On the other hand, her at 80% is still good enough to win gold.
With the degree of difficulty of the stuff she's doing that is true and also being mentally off at the wrong moment could lead to a catastrophic injury. Good for her to not put herself in danger. I feel so bad for her and the team. Can't imagine the disappointment of training as hard as she has for as long as she has only to falter at this point with the world watching.

…and if you can’t deal with the pressure, then you’re not truly great IMO.
You can’t be referring to Biles, right? Not after 4 golds, a silver, and a bronze in 2016?

It’s more than just the pressure to compete for Gold medals. NBC has pretty much made her the face of the Olympics. I’m going to reserve judgment until a clearer picture emerges.

dont want to rush to too many judgements without knowing everything, but that's a hard thing to quit on your teammates when they need you most.

Could you imagine Tiger at his peak just walking off the course before sunday singles of the ryder cup because he wasn't playing well? Michael Jordan sitting out a game 7?

dont want to rush to too many judgements without knowing everything, but that's a hard thing to quit on your teammates when they need you most.

Could you imagine Tiger at his peak just walking off the course before sunday singles of the ryder cup because he wasn't playing well? Michael Jordan sitting out a game 7?
Michael Jordan literally quit for a year in the middle of his prime because he was mentally drained

Is that a fair comparison? She’s risking severe injury with every competition. This was her barely executing an easier vault than the one she had intended to compete. And Jordan did step away from his team for more than just one game.

Michael Jordan literally quit for a year in the middle of his prime because he was mentally drained

Sure, had biles taken the year off, or walked off at the trials, this would be a totally different story.

Again, you never know what someone is going through so I'll just leave it at that.

Back