2020(1) Summer Olympics

Is it me or is stroke play in the Olympics stupid? It's just like a regular tournament except the top 3 get medals instead of money. 60 players vying for the top 3 spots with the only difference being you have your nations colors behind you. Why isn't it played like the Ryder Cup or something like that? :unsure:

Another stroke play event which is essentially a 60 person invitational is a boring format. And with limitations as to how many from certain countries may participate, the field is further watered down.

I would be a fan of team play if they could determine a format to make it work. Maybe it could be similar to what they have done in the World Cup of Golf where they havre had two man teams.

Another stroke play event which is essentially a 60 person invitational is a boring format. And with limitations as to how many from certain countries may participate, the field is further watered down.

I would be a fan of team play if they could determine a format to make it work. Maybe it could be similar to what they have done in the World Cup of Golf where they havre had two man teams.

This would be fun I think:

- Bracket style tourney
- 4 man teams from each country
- Each round is 2 singles and a doubles match
- Round tiebreaker is a sudden death 4 on 4 scramble match starting on hole 1

Never thought I would root against any Americans but I wouldn't mind seeing the women's soccer team lose

I am absolutely with you. And they aren't the only ones I don't want to see win. Thankfully, so far, there has been no kneeling. I wouldn't put it past the women's soccer team to pull something should they win, though...

Is it me or is stroke play in the Olympics stupid? It's just like a regular tournament except the top 3 get medals instead of money. 60 players vying for the top 3 spots with the only difference being you have your nations colors behind you. Why isn't it played like the Ryder Cup or something like that? :unsure:

How about a round robin match play of some sort? Or matchplay that produces a top 32 or top 16, and then those players play match play to win the Gold?

I would like to see match play of some sort integrated into the Olympic golf. I also think the field should be bigger/better.

@gonyr want to elaborate or are you just a drive by eye roller?
I'll say that rooting against your own national team because of their personal political beliefs is tough to understand. But beyond that I'm going to stick with the drive by, to keep things non-political, as our hosts prefer.

I am absolutely with you. And they aren't the only ones I don't want to see win. Thankfully, so far, there has been no kneeling. I wouldn't put it past the women's soccer team to pull something should they win, though...

How about a round robin match play of some sort? Or matchplay that produces a top 32 or top 16, and then those players play match play to win the Gold?

I would like to see match play of some sort integrated into the Olympic golf. I also think the field should be bigger/better.

Meant to say a stroke play event to start off, and then the top 32 or 16 after the stroke play, then play match play to top-3.

All these swimmers (men and women) are built like friggin' TRUCKS. The women are all like 5'-8"-5'-10" and all the men are like 6'3"-6'6". They are all of really good stock. They all could have probably excelled at a lot of sports. :oops:

What's with all the Americans branding themselves with the Olympic rings for tattoos? The conspiracy theorist in me thinks all manner of things with that crap. You couldn't pay me enough to brand myself with that tattoo.

All these swimmers (men and women) are built like friggin' TRUCKS. The women are all like 5'-8"-5'-10" and all the men are like 6'3"-6'6". They are all of really good stock. They all could have probably excelled at a lot of sports. :oops:

What's with all the Americans branding themselves with the Olympic rings for tattoos? The conspiracy theorist in me thinks all manner of things with that crap. You couldn't pay me enough to brand myself with that tattoo.
You’ve never seen a lot of swimmers on land 😆 granted they haven’t had a lifetime of training in other disciplines, but coordination is sometimes lacking. Regarding tattoos, probably only a quarter of my college swim team didn’t have at least one. I’d sure as heck have the Olympic Rings on my body if I were able to compete.

I'll say that rooting against your own national team because of their personal political beliefs is tough to understand. But beyond that I'm going to stick with the drive by, to keep things non-political, as our hosts prefer.
That's fair...tough for me to seperate the 2. But I respect your opinion.

what about all of the great African athletes now competing for other countries - might be time to make the Olympics 'country of origin'

Dressel with gold in the 100 fly and a world record as well! Ledecky takes gold in the 800!

Of course Dressel has a 43 inch vertical. I mean when you look like this, why not…
1627697907953.jpeg

That's fair...tough for me to seperate the 2. But I respect your opinion.

It's not about their political opinions, or mine or yours. It's about them denigrating the nation that they play for. If they want to do that, fine, but don't do it with the uniform of the nation that gave you all those opportunities on your back. Do it when you retire, or not before your games, with the uniform on your back.

Strangely it only seems to be Americans that think their nation is deplorable; not places where human and women's rights are WAY more lacking. If Rapinoe (and the rest on that team that shares her views) thinks this place is so deplorable, maybe she should go trying to win Gold for Liberia. See how much a Gold is worth in endorsements in Liberia, or Haiti.

Unfortunately they barely won against the Netherlands last night in a shootout, so they are moving on.

Of course Dressel has a 43 inch vertical. I mean when you look like this, why not…
View attachment 9019716

That's what I mean - they're all built like that - like Rob Gronkowskis. I bet he could have been an NFL tight end if he wanted to.

Count canoe slalom in the category of events where an amateur competing for reference would be interesting. I have never been canoeing but I’m assuming I would capsize right out of the gates.

I dunno man, canoeing ain’t hard. Throw in 3 minutes of sedate rowing with 3 seconds of terror and thats about it. I’m not saying I’d come close to competing time wise, but I wouldn’t dump the thing. Never dumped a canoe, never will. Run a trot line for catfish for 5 years growing up and take one out to take in the catch every day across the river. You’ll eventually find it easier to do standing up. Especially when you catch a big ol mean snapping turtle. You wanna be standing then.

Getting more and more evident how far the NBA is getting from actual basketball. Barely hanging on with pure athleticism.

It's not about their political opinions, or mine or yours. It's about them denigrating the nation that they play for. If they want to do that, fine, but don't do it with the uniform of the nation that gave you all those opportunities on your back. Do it when you retire, or not before your games, with the uniform on your back.

Strangely it only seems to be Americans that think their nation is deplorable; not places where human and women's rights are WAY more lacking. If Rapinoe (and the rest on that team that shares her views) thinks this place is so deplorable, maybe she should go trying to win Gold for Liberia. See how much a Gold is worth in endorsements in Liberia, or Haiti.

Unfortunately they barely won against the Netherlands last night in a shootout, so they are moving on.

That's what I mean - they're all built like that - like Rob Gronkowskis. I bet he could have been an NFL tight end if he wanted to.
what about

Dressel finishes the games with 5 gold medals. What a performance!

Hammer throw is my jam.

That was an impressive double gold medal performance by Finke winning both the 800 and 1500 meters

Now that Track and Field has started, I think I’ll be watching more.

If

your talking about the symbol of 5 rings , l personally don’t have issue with it , being non American, more broadly it means something special to the person who has them and defining moment in life , as opposed to many tattoo the meaning of which is nothing , it’s to be socially trendy or the addiction of pain of getting them for no apparent purpose or meaning .

So the minnow country , again out performs in a variety of sports and disciplines 😀.
But did you think there would be any other way.......
Green and gold
🥇🥈🥉

Back