2020/2021 Soccer Thread

You’re kidding right? This new league is a closed shop. It doesn’t matter where you finish in the premier league, if you aren’t one of the big 6, you ain’t getting in. Then there’s the money. The huge gulf between the big teams, and the rest, which is already huge, is about to become cataclysmic. The ridiculous transfer fee fees will become affordable to only those top teams, which will be irrelevant as what top player is going to want to play for a team that has no hope of qualifying for the biggest club matches. UEFA and FIFA can stop players participating in competitions (not that the team will care, in fact, they will welcome it) and I can’t remember the last time I saw an England player that looked like he was proud to wear the shirt so that’s an empty threat! I’d go even further and kick them out of the Premier League. They want to go it alone, let em. Anyone that thinks money hasn’t spoilt the game, well, here’s proof it has!!!!!

I'm not disagreeing that money has rotted the game and the owners are allowing greed to take over. My point was, and poorly stated, is that UEFA, FIFA and the new proposed Super League are all greedy. UEFA and FIFA are feigning to fight for the fans and the merits of the current system, but at the root is the loss of revenue they don't want to see leave. Same for the new proposed league. It's a money grab as well.

I am all for the current system as it is as fair as it can get given how rich the upper teams are and how the lower teams essentially have to capture lighting in a bottle for a season to reaps some financial rewards. I just don't see how UEFA and FIFA have leverage given their cash cows are part of the group wanting to move on.

There is a lot of opposition to this here, with the fear of relegation driving the big owners. USA sport does not have relegation or promotion :confused2:, so the practise here in football alienates the USA owners. They are trying to change UK football to fit their ideas from USA gridiron, and it will not work.

Even James Corden is jumping in to rail against this nonsense.

Gosh. I'm torn on the ESL. It will pull in viewers on a global level and it will make a ton of money for the league members. It will create a more 'Merican sports like atmosphere in Europe.

The worst thing for the existing leagues would be if the ESL clubs called their bluff and went ahead with the plan anyways. The EPL would be sunk. La Liga would be sunk. Serie A would be sunk. They would just be Triple A programs for the ESL clubs.

Is this exactly how the Premier League was founded? Big English clubs formed their own league?

Last edited:
It will create a more 'Merican sports like atmosphere in Europe.

This is the fear, as promotion and relegation will be eliminated. The Premier League came from the Football League, with four divisions , 96 clubs. The big money from satellite TV was funnelled into 22 clubs, giving the lower clubs a headache. Now the top 6 want to shaft the rest again.

The fans will not accept this Americanisation of our game.

Premier League - Wikipedia

It will create a more 'Merican sports like atmosphere in Europe.

This is the fear, as promotion and relegation will be eliminated. The Premier League came from the Football League, with four divisions , 96 clubs. The big money from satellite TV was funnelled into 22 clubs, giving the lower clubs a headache. Now the top 6 want to shaft the rest again.

The fans will not accept this Americanisation of our game.

Premier League - Wikipedia
I mean, I get what you're saying and I agree because one of the beautiful things about the sport is the relegation/promotion and that a team from two divisions below the top can (and has) beaten teams in the top leagues. It's wonderful.

But the Super League is happening and those 12 teams will continue to make A TON of money. Fans globally will not go anywhere and the local fans will begrudgingly show up. Those top teams have never cared if those small local clubs in lower divisions existed this is just the unfortunate proof. Chelsea doesn't care about Morecambe, Lunton Town, or Barnsley but somehow had to share money with them this year.

I think it is a trash idea. Their great marketing of 5 rotating clubs won't work because they won't be allowed back into their leagues once they leave and those leagues will probably fold anyways due to their largest clubs leaving. It just is such a trash idea to destroy the history of European football because a bunch of American, Russian, and oil billionaires want to turn it into NFL 2.0 basically. Garbage.

Arsenal and Tottenham will be bottom of the barrel along with the 2 Milan clubs every year.

Who wants to find the irony in Pep's virtue signaling here:

Gosh. I'm torn on the ESL. It will pull in viewers on a global level and it will make a ton of money for the league members. It will create a more 'Merican sports like atmosphere in Europe.

The worst thing for the existing leagues would be if the ESL clubs called their bluff and went ahead with the plan anyways. The EPL would be sunk. La Liga would be sunk. Serie A would be sunk. They would just be Triple A programs for the ESL clubs.

Is this exactly how the Premier League was founded? Big English clubs formed their own league?
But the Super League is happening and those 12 teams will continue to make A TON of money. Fans globally will not go anywhere and the local fans will begrudgingly show up. Those top teams have never cared if those small local clubs in lower divisions existed this is just the unfortunate proof. Chelsea doesn't care about Morecambe, Lunton Town, or Barnsley but somehow had to share money with them this year.

I’m quoting your 2 posts, not to have a pop, but to highlight exactly why these owners don’t get it! I believe most of the breakaway clubs have American owners or influences (although they could be anywhere from out of Europe and the same would apply). What they, and probably many over here don’t understand, is these clubs aren’t owned by the owners, as stupid as that may sound. They aren’t franchises. Yes, they may hold the key to the boardroom, but these clubs are owned by the fans! Always have, always will be! And that is why people are so pissed. Why you have fans with a deep dislike of each other coming together. The Americanization of the sport isn’t a good thing. What people mean by this is you have clubs that don’t care about anything but money, and don’t give a flying **** about the fans (like the franchises over here that follow the money and just uproot and go somewhere else)! These clubs aren’t just massive sporting teams. They are parts, important parts, of the local community.

If this goes ahead, it will be short lived. If it goes ahead, the Premier League, just like the other leagues won’t be sunk. The premier is not 6 teams with clueless money grabbing don’t give a toss about the fans board members. It is 92 teams!!!!!! And before the premier league came into existence, there was the old first division. And yes, there may not have been the global audience, but stands were still packed, and English teams were winning all over Europe.

To the point about how the money gets shared, again, big difference between sport over here and back home. The FA isn’t there to make money. It’s there to distribute money. It doesn’t just run the premier league, or the 3 leagues below it. It runs the little local leagues where a team full of amateurs from a local village play a team of amatuers from a pub. 2 teams which could theoretically one day qualify for the Champions League. They couldn’t ever play in the closed only by invite Super League.

As for how the league started, it was a handful of semi professional teams got together to organize regular games. I’m proud that Aston Villa were one of the founding members.

As I said, don’t take the fact I quoted you as a knock. It’s not.

I’m quoting your 2 posts, not to have a pop, but to highlight exactly why these owners don’t get it! I believe most of the breakaway clubs have American owners or influences (although they could be anywhere from out of Europe and the same would apply). What they, and probably many over here don’t understand, is these clubs aren’t owned by the owners, as stupid as that may sound. They aren’t franchises. Yes, they may hold the key to the boardroom, but these clubs are owned by the fans! Always have, always will be! And that is why people are so pissed. Why you have fans with a deep dislike of each other coming together. The Americanization of the sport isn’t a good thing. What people mean by this is you have clubs that don’t care about anything but money, and don’t give a flying **** about the fans (like the franchises over here that follow the money and just uproot and go somewhere else)! These clubs aren’t just massive sporting teams. They are parts, important parts, of the local community.

If this goes ahead, it will be short lived. If it goes ahead, the Premier League, just like the other leagues won’t be sunk. The premier is not 6 teams with clueless money grabbing don’t give a toss about the fans board members. It is 92 teams!!!!!! And before the premier league came into existence, there was the old first division. And yes, there may not have been the global audience, but stands were still packed, and English teams were winning all over Europe.

To the point about how the money gets shared, again, big difference between sport over here and back home. The FA isn’t there to make money. It’s there to distribute money. It doesn’t just run the premier league, or the 3 leagues below it. It runs the little local leagues where a team full of amateurs from a local village play a team of amatuers from a pub. 2 teams which could theoretically one day qualify for the Champions League. They couldn’t ever play in the closed only by invite Super League.

As for how the league started, it was a handful of semi professional teams got together to organize regular games. I’m proud that Aston Villa were one of the founding members.

As I said, don’t take the fact I quoted you as a knock. It’s not.
I am a Green Bay Packer's fan. They are actually "owned by the fans." I get the idea. For as lovely as the sentiment sounds, the league/sport is already dominated by the huge money clubs dominating lesser funded opponents. Just look at Man City, PSG, Liepzig, and to a lesser extend Chelsea's rise to prominence in the sport. All it takes is money and a club can become a powerhouse.

The Premier League might be alright. But La Liga won't. Do you think any international broadcaster is paying to watch Valencia and Real Betis play for the league title?

I am a Green Bay Packer's fan. They are actually "owned by the fans." I get the idea. For as lovely as the sentiment sounds, the league/sport is already dominated by the huge money clubs dominating lesser funded opponents. Just look at Man City, PSG, Liepzig, and to a lesser extend Chelsea's rise to prominence in the sport. All it takes is money and a club can become a powerhouse.

The Premier League might be alright. But La Liga won't. Do you think any international broadcaster is paying to watch Valencia and Real Betis play for the league title?

Green Bay Packers is an excellent example. That is the closest thing to an English football club. It isn’t just the Sunday afternoon out, it’s in the psyche of the town or city.
I agree, money has pretty much destroyed the game at the top level.
Here’s another point. How boring is this super league going to be when it’s the same 15 teams (plus these 5, who I assume will be invited on a yearly basis) playing year in year out. And if you lose, so what? You just try again next year. If you have a crap year in the premier league, so what? Your in the super league no matter what. And as for the premier league. There is already a gulf between the top 6 and the rest. How much wider is the gulf going to get between those that are in, and those that are shut out? No matter what way you spin it, I can’t see any positives for this whatsoever (apart from with all these foreign players banned from playing the World Cup, England might actually have a chance of winning it in my lifetime LOL)

One of the advantages of being old is the memory of winning the World Cup, a competition where other countries are invited

Green Bay Packers is an excellent example. That is the closest thing to an English football club. It isn’t just the Sunday afternoon out, it’s in the psyche of the town or city.
I agree, money has pretty much destroyed the game at the top level.
Here’s another point. How boring is this super league going to be when it’s the same 15 teams (plus these 5, who I assume will be invited on a yearly basis) playing year in year out. And if you lose, so what? You just try again next year. If you have a crap year in the premier league, so what? Your in the super league no matter what. And as for the premier league. There is already a gulf between the top 6 and the rest. How much wider is the gulf going to get between those that are in, and those that are shut out? No matter what way you spin it, I can’t see any positives for this whatsoever (apart from with all these foreign players banned from playing the World Cup, England might actually have a chance of winning it in my lifetime LOL)
HEY! Give the Premier League credit! Look at how good the league as whole is doing against ESL teams Arsenal and Tottenham :alien:

One of the advantages of being old is the memory of winning the World Cup, a competition where other countries are invited

I missed it by 7 years. I still cling on to Italia 90 LOL.

HEY! Give the Premier League credit! Look at how good the league as whole is doing against ESL teams Arsenal and Tottenham :alien:

This is another point. WTF have Spurs done in the last 50 years???? And Arsenal aren’t exactly firing on all cylinders right now. What happens when the next billionaire comes in and turns Plymouth Argyle into the powerhouses of Europe???

This is another point. WTF have Spurs done in the last 50 years???? And Arsenal aren’t exactly firing on all cylinders right now. What happens when the next billionaire comes in and turns Plymouth Argyle into the powerhouses of Europe???
You mean like how MAN CITY went from after-thought to a power house once M/E Oil $$$ and a an open check book came in?

You mean like how MAN CITY went from after-thought to a power house once M/E Oil $$$ and a an open check book came in?

That’s exactly what I mean. Chelsea too to some extent.

And that is truly the beautiful part of football. Any team is just an oil baron away from being one of the biggest teams in the world.

That’s exactly what I mean. Chelsea too to some extent.
To a huge extent. Chelsea went from top half of the table club, to dominant club in one season after Roman Abramovich bought them.

It's funny Arsenal got a crappy American billionaire and went the wrong way when Man City, Liverpool, and the rest got billionaires and went nuts. Kronke is a horrible owner.

It's funny Arsenal got a crappy American billionaire and went the wrong way when Man City, Liverpool, and the rest got billionaires and went nuts. Kronke is a horrible owner.
He's horrible and building a winning club. He is great at making money and not carrying debt. For most of his ownership, Arsenal have operated 100% on their own profits. I know they took out a loan this year, but Arsenal isn't in massive debt like Tottenham, ManU, or Barcelona (which is in HUGE DEBT).

Edit: holy shiit. https://sqaf.club/premier-league-clubs-debt/

This is the guy that’s here “to save football”.....

9B64CAE4-F169-44C6-8F58-D6272019143C.jpeg

He's horrible and building a winning club. He is great at making money and not carrying debt. For most of his ownership, Arsenal have operated 100% on their own profits. I know they took out a loan this year, but Arsenal isn't in massive debt like Tottenham, ManU, or Barcelona (which is in HUGE DEBT).

Edit: holy shiit. https://sqaf.club/premier-league-clubs-debt/
Ohh as an Arsenal fan I understand he is amazing at making money. He is still a horrible owner. He puts noting into the team, hires second rate staff, and cares nothing about the club other than money. These other billionaire owners want to win, they care about winning, Stan is just a ********.

Ohh as an Arsenal fan I understand he is amazing at making money. He is still a horrible owner. He puts noting into the team, hires second rate staff, and cares nothing about the club other than money. These other billionaire owners want to win, they care about winning, Stan is just a ********.
Yessir. It's why I stopped hating on City and Chelsea and the rest for buying their squads. As apparent with this season, it's hard to make European football with a cup squad. Arsenal won't be able to make money on name alone for much longer. It's why their participation in the ESL makes so much sense for them.

Back