2020/2021 Soccer Thread

Soccer is back locally!

Today is the first game in the history of Racing Louisville FC, the NWSL team here. And in 2 weeks, the men’s USL team starts up. As a season ticket holder for both, I am so excited to watch a lot of live soccer this year after only getting to see 1 game in person last year.

Soccer is back locally!

Today is the first game in the history of Racing Louisville FC, the NWSL team here. And in 2 weeks, the men’s USL team starts up. As a season ticket holder for both, I am so excited to watch a lot of live soccer this year after only getting to see 1 game in person last year.

Not too familiar with USL but I’m about to get a lot more familiar. Monterey were announced as an expansion team this year and enter the league next year. Nice to have footie on my doorstep, it’ll be interesting to see how the standard is. I’m guessing like the non league stuff back home, but we’ll see. Either way, I plan on getting behind them.

European Super League?

haaaaaaaaaaate it.
As a Chelsea fan, I’m ashamed they’re doing it.

European Super League?

haaaaaaaaaaate it.

Is it official all teams are in? Seems like every year they attempt this and every year it never happens.

Is it official all teams are in? Seems like every year they attempt this and every year it never happens.

AC Milan, Arsenal , Atlético, Chelsea, Barcelona, Internazionale, Juventus, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Real Madrid and Tottenham publicly committed.

we’re at the closest it’s ever been to happening, and sadly I think it might.
Going to turn the top teams into an NFL style product. Great for entertainment and money grabbing, terrible for sporting merit of this worldwide game.
I’m a huge proponent of promotion/relegation system, so not in favor of this league, at all.

European Super League?

haaaaaaaaaaate it.
All aboard the Newcastle bandwagon! Currently sitting somewhat comfortably 9 points clear of relegation.

Not too familiar with USL but I’m about to get a lot more familiar. Monterey were announced as an expansion team this year and enter the league next year. Nice to have footie on my doorstep, it’ll be interesting to see how the standard is. I’m guessing like the non league stuff back home, but we’ll see. Either way, I plan on getting behind them.
USL is the league below the MLS. Essentially a developmental league for MLS teams and several have developmental teams in the league already. There are multiple tiers of USL soccer and if the USA were to ever move to a relegation/promotion mode the USL Championship would lead to the MLS. It looks like Monterey Bay FC will play in the top tier of the USL.

I went to the first game of the MLS season for the Columbus Crew tonight. I was the the home opener last year before everything shut down so this was my first sports experience since then. looking forward to more and the opening of our new stadium in July.

I went to the first game of the MLS season for the Columbus Crew tonight. I was the the home opener last year before everything shut down so this was my first sports experience since then. looking forward to more and the opening of our new stadium in July.

Very cool and probably very surreal. I was at the USWNT game vs Japan on March 11, 2020. During the 2nd half texts were coming in about NBA games canceling & all sporting events shutting down. I was w/ my daughter & totally plan to make my return to sporting events w/ her again to come full circle.

Very cool and probably very surreal. I was at the USWNT game vs Japan on March 11, 2020. During the 2nd half texts were coming in about NBA games canceling & all sporting events shutting down. I was w/ my daughter & totally plan to make my return to sporting events w/ her again to come full circle.
Yeah, we are season ticket holders for the Crew and chose not to go to any games last fall when they allowed very limited attendance. We also have a 1/4 season package for the Columbus Blue Jackets and we deferred everything to next season so I haven’t seen a live hockey game since March of last year either. I’m hoping we can have a full stadium by this summer for the opening in July but right now things are trending like that won’t happen.

Yeah, we are season ticket holders for the Crew and chose not to go to any games last fall when they allowed very limited attendance. We also have a 1/4 season package for the Columbus Blue Jackets and we deferred everything to next season so I haven’t seen a live hockey game since March of last year either. I’m hoping we can have a full stadium by this summer for the opening in July but right now things are trending like that won’t happen.

FC Dallas was at 50% yesterday at their home opener. Progress. I fully expect them to be at 75% by summer.

FC Dallas was at 50% yesterday at their home opener. Progress. I fully expect them to be at 75% by summer.
We are at about 30% right now. A bit less than 6,000 people. I sadly feel like we are going to get some carryover from everything happening in Michigan right now but over 1/2 of the state should be fully vaccinated in the next 30 days So hopefully things start trending downward again. It does start feeling normal to have sports around again.

USL is the league below the MLS. Essentially a developmental league for MLS teams and several have developmental teams in the league already. There are multiple tiers of USL soccer and if the USA were to ever move to a relegation/promotion mode the USL Championship would lead to the MLS. It looks like Monterey Bay FC will play in the top tier of the USL.

there has been talks of promotion/relegation in the USA, but only within the USL pyramid. MLS wants no part in it.

there has been talks of promotion/relegation in the USA, but only within the USL pyramid. MLS wants no part in it.
I would love promotion/relegation in the MLS, or more sports in the U.S. for that matter. Many teams tank, and how do we punish them, with the top pick in the draft. Still bad the next year, same punishment, another top talent.

I'd also like to see something like the way they loan players make it in other sports. Have a young player that you want to develop, loan him out until you need him. Lots of interesting concepts from the soccer world that i'd like to see trickle out, but I know it's mostly a pipe dream, with all the CBA's, players unions, etc. that we have in place. Oh well, it's fun to think about.

I would love promotion/relegation in the MLS, or more sports in the U.S. for that matter. Many teams tank, and how do we punish them, with the top pick in the draft. Still bad the next year, same punishment, another top talent.

I'd also like to see something like the way they loan players make it in other sports. Have a young player that you want to develop, loan him out until you need him. Lots of interesting concepts from the soccer world that i'd like to see trickle out, but I know it's mostly a pipe dream, with all the CBA's, players unions, etc. that we have in place. Oh well, it's fun to think about.

too much money involved in MLS for them to risk relegation. What’s the buy in to get an MLS franchise right now, 400 million? Personally I am not a fan of MLS at all.

loans are actually more common than you think. I know my USL Championship local team (not affiliated with any MLS team) has 2 players out on loan, and 1 in.
There’s several teams that have also built partnerships with European teams that could have loan deals.

too much money involved in MLS for them to risk relegation. What’s the buy in to get an MLS franchise right now, 400 million? Personally I am not a fan of MLS at all.

loans are actually more common than you think. I know my USL Championship local team (not affiliated with any MLS team) has 2 players out on loan, and 1 in.
There’s several teams that have also built partnerships with European teams that could have loan deals.
Agree 100% on the money involved with relegation in the MLS, as the reason it will never happen. I'm sure, for most clubs in the USL, the money is pretty paltry compared to an MLS team. I find it difficult to watch the MLS. The style of play seems so chaotic, is that the right word? Just can't get into it.

I actually forgot about the partnerships some teams have built with the European clubs. That's a great point. It's a good way to develop players, then loan them out or transfer them for money to a larger club. For me, this would be an area of interest as European clubs continue to add US talent. IT could be a way to bring more money into the MLS, via these Homegrown players moving onto bigger and better clubs.

Agree 100% on the money involved with relegation in the MLS, as the reason it will never happen. I'm sure, for most clubs in the USL, the money is pretty paltry compared to an MLS team. I find it difficult to watch the MLS. The style of play seems so chaotic, is that the right word? Just can't get into it.

I actually forgot about the partnerships some teams have built with the European clubs. That's a great point. It's a good way to develop players, then loan them out or transfer them for money to a larger club. For me, this would be an area of interest as European clubs continue to add US talent. IT could be a way to bring more money into the MLS, via these Homegrown players moving onto bigger and better clubs.

Agreed on the chaotic aspect in MLS. There’s a clear difference in watching “top-tier” us soccer and a lower tier European soccer. Quite the talent gap that is certainly not in US’ favor.

I don’t know of any MLS teams that have relationships with European teams, it’s all been lower division teams.
i do think the MLS in the last 2 years has started to pay solidarity payments, that is when they compensate a club for taking a player prior to the end of their contract. However I don’t know how far down that goes, if it’s just the one club or all that developed them. That model is a staple in the rest of the world and one that helps really develop and build great talent.
That and they don’t have a pay-to-play development model, but that’s a different rabbit hole 🤣

Agreed on the chaotic aspect in MLS. There’s a clear difference in watching “top-tier” us soccer and a lower tier European soccer. Quite the talent gap that is certainly not in US’ favor.

I don’t know of any MLS teams that have relationships with European teams, it’s all been lower division teams.
i do think the MLS in the last 2 years has started to pay solidarity payments, that is when they compensate a club for taking a player prior to the end of their contract. However I don’t know how far down that goes, if it’s just the one club or all that developed them. That model is a staple in the rest of the world and one that helps really develop and build great talent.
That and they don’t have a pay-to-play development model, but that’s a different rabbit hole 🤣
You can see how much I've been keeping up with MLS... :ROFLMAO:

Of course it will never happen. American sports owners are too ingrained in their own system to take on the risks that their team might get relegated if they aren't good. They would rather be a last place team that makes money.

So UEFA might kick the Super League teams out of their Europe comps this week...this escalated quickly.

So UEFA might kick the Super League teams out of their Europe comps this week...this escalated quickly.
I think it's a last ditched effort to get them to back down. They have no leverage with the breakaway teams and legally I am not sure they can prevent players from playing for their home countries.

Either was as an outsider who understands how the Federations have run futbol overseas, it's all about money for both sides. Without the 12 breakaway teams, UEFA isn't as profitable. I still don't understand how or why this would effect domestic leagues in a negative way. It seems the proposal UEFA wants takes more games from domestic leagues to satisfy the additional games/teams to the UEFA cup championship.

I think it's a last ditched effort to get them to back down. They have no leverage with the breakaway teams and legally I am not sure they can prevent players from playing for their home countries.

Either was as an outsider who understands how the Federations have run futbol overseas, it's all about money for both sides. Without the 12 breakaway teams, UEFA isn't as profitable. I still don't understand how or why this would effect domestic leagues in a negative way. It seems the proposal UEFA wants takes more games from domestic leagues to satisfy the additional games/teams to the UEFA cup championship.
UEFA cannot but FIFA can and FIFA is on the side of the UEFA.
I do not know legalities how they do it though.

I don't like this. I like the way it is set-up now.
I wish we did this here in the US.
I hate tanking for draft picks.
"you play to win the game". - Herm Edwards

You’re kidding right? This new league is a closed shop. It doesn’t matter where you finish in the premier league, if you aren’t one of the big 6, you ain’t getting in. Then there’s the money. The huge gulf between the big teams, and the rest, which is already huge, is about to become cataclysmic. The ridiculous transfer fee fees will become affordable to only those top teams, which will be irrelevant as what top player is going to want to play for a team that has no hope of qualifying for the biggest club matches. UEFA and FIFA can stop players participating in competitions (not that the team will care, in fact, they will welcome it) and I can’t remember the last time I saw an England player that looked like he was proud to wear the shirt so that’s an empty threat! I’d go even further and kick them out of the Premier League. They want to go it alone, let em. Anyone that thinks money hasn’t spoilt the game, well, here’s proof it has!!!!!

You’re kidding right? This new league is a closed shop. It doesn’t matter where you finish in the premier league, if you aren’t one of the big 6, you ain’t getting in. Then there’s the money. The huge gulf between the big teams, and the rest, which is already huge, is about to become cataclysmic. The ridiculous transfer fee fees will become affordable to only those top teams, which will be irrelevant as what top player is going to want to play for a team that has no hope of qualifying for the biggest club matches. UEFA and FIFA can stop players participating in competitions (not that the team will care, in fact, they will welcome it) and I can’t remember the last time I saw an England player that looked like he was proud to wear the shirt so that’s an empty threat! I’d go even further and kick them out of the Premier League. They want to go it alone, let em. Anyone that thinks money hasn’t spoilt the game, well, here’s proof it has!!!!!
The Super League is 1000% a money grab.
I'm a United Fan and I hate seeing them being in this.
This is no different that the PGL in golf that's been talked about.

The FA Cup matches are a favorite for me. Seeing "lesser" clubs take on the big boys and win is awesome.
If the Super League makes the MANU. MANCTY, etc get kicked out then the FA Cup will be a little less fun to watch.

The Super League is 1000% a money grab.
I'm a United Fan and I hate seeing them being in this.
This is no different that the PGL in golf that's been talked about.

Of course it is. The FA Cup matches are a favorite for me. Seeing "lesser" clubs take on the big boys and win is awesome.
If the Super League makes the MANU. MANCTY, etc get kicked out then the FA Cup will be a little less fun to watch.

The only good thing is fans seems universally pissed off. Where as I’m convinced a lot of owners now couldn’t give 💩💩about the fans, if there is the even slightest chance fans will start voting with their feet, this is dead and buried before it even starts.

Back