2020/2021 Winter/Offseason Golf Practice/Training Plan?

I'm starting with a regular course of lessons over the winter months. I keep saying that my driving has turned a corner and then just the next week turns into a complete lottery, either big carving slices or a slinging great hook. Either way is a lost ball.

Aiming to be at the range at least once or twice a week, working on distance control with irons as well as the big dog. Likely going to be getting myself a decent putting matt as well to roll some balls when I'm not at the range. With a bit of luck I can hit the ground running next year rather than the usual two or three month warm up!

With your lesson plan over the winter are you also coming up with a practice plan? I think your peak goal is sometime in the year next year correct ;) ?

How do you plan to hold yourself accountable to the bolded?

Plan to dabble in club building.

Plan to dabble in club building.

Definite Dabble? What equipment are you going to pick up? Will you do paintfill, make everything green and gold?

@OITW man you must be a mind reader......was just looking into this last night. Really thinking about getting into a gym with a trainer to help with strength, flexibility, and maybe some work on getting that ball speed out of the school zone.

Forgot what thread I was on.

Still planning on one arm curls with some sensible as hell weights in the form of Imperial Stouts.

I may change that up a bit if needed but I have a plan!

If the ABV is higher it counts as more weight though right?

@OITW man you must be a mind reader......was just looking into this last night. Really thinking about getting into a gym with a trainer to help with strength, flexibility, and maybe some work on getting that ball speed out of the school zone.

Would you focus on the work with a trainer? Would you go it alone and try some of the golf specific programs i.e. fit for golf?

Have you tried Super Speed and their protocols?

I know you're quite busy, how would you go about ensuring you have the time to stick with a program (LOL channeling my inner JB)

Definite Dabble? What equipment are you going to pick up? Will you do paintfill, make everything green and gold?
PXL_20201202_032407230.jpg

Enough where I can put these together and similar.

Starting with buying a work bench, lol. Then figure out from there. Vice, shaft puller, some kind of shaft saw, all the fluidy things.

Yes. Yes.

With your lesson plan over the winter are you also coming up with a practice plan? I think your peak goal is sometime in the year next year correct ;) ?

How do you plan to hold yourself accountable to the bolded?
Totally man. Practice plan initially is to be working on movement purely. My last couple of lessons have shown that I'm swaying too much onto the right side and not rotating enough. Causing fats and thins with the irons, and either a carving slice or snap hook with the driver. Until it feels natural I'm just going to be concentrating more on getting this feeling natural rather than much else.

Then it will be re-doing the gapping with the irons, because when the movement above actually clicks I'm about 5-10 yards longer with each club so will need to recalibrate a bit.

In between all that, there will be an hour every few days on the practice green working on short game and putting.

That's the idea anyway. I'll be a machine by MC time :LOL:

Not sure what this Off-Season thing is about...
But we are entering our Sloppy season, and my plan is to work on chipping and putting this winter...

Hoping Santa brings a nice indoor putting mat.

If he brings it down the chimney is it covered in soot?

Any particular brand you are hoping for? What are you going to work on with your putting with the new mat?

Totally man. Practice plan initially is to be working on movement purely. My last couple of lessons have shown that I'm swaying too much onto the right side and not rotating enough. Causing fats and thins with the irons, and either a carving slice or snap hook with the driver. Until it feels natural I'm just going to be concentrating more on getting this feeling natural rather than much else.

Then it will be re-doing the gapping with the irons, because when the movement above actually clicks I'm about 5-10 yards longer with each club so will need to recalibrate a bit.

In between all that, there will be an hour every few days on the practice green working on short game and putting.

That's the idea anyway. I'll be a machine by MC time :LOL:

You mention dialing in the gapping - would you be concerned about your shaft profile with your new swing?

Not sure what this Off-Season thing is about...
But we are entering our Sloppy season, and my plan is to work on chipping and putting this winter...

If you're grinding out halves I think you should take a look at what other people are doing to improve their games and see what you can adapt :LOL::ROFLMAO::p:D ;)

Do you have programs that you're going to follow? How do you plan on achieving the general fitness and extra muscle?

For flexibility is it yoga, stretching etc.?

Using the skytrak for refinement lessons?

I have a weight lifting plan to increase my core and upper body strength. (fortunately all of it can be done on my bowflex).

For flexibility I'm still trying to nail down my plan. I found a few stretching routines but am also considering yoga which I've never done before. Any recommendations here!

For general fitness I have been running with my daughter and training for a few races with her. I've never been a runner but it's a fun activity with my daughter and is helping me build some endurance.

For swing speed I am utilizing the SuperSpeed golf system. I've dabbled with this in the past but this time want to focus on not losing my mechanics while adding speed.

For swing refinement I will continue to hit in my garage bay with the skytrak but I also want to incorporate a coach / lessons to make sure I stay on track. I have had success with 3 coaches and I want one who has time to work with me over the next year. One is local and just got a new job so I'm not sure if he has the time. One is a couple hours north of here and he and his wife have their first baby on the way. The third is in the UK and it would all be remote / video based.

Would you focus on the work with a trainer? Would you go it alone and try some of the golf specific programs i.e. fit for golf?

Have you tried Super Speed and their protocols?

I know you're quite busy, how would you go about ensuring you have the time to stick with a program (LOL channeling my inner JB)

For me getting into the gym alone is always a fail, the trainer/program would be golf specific..........if I pay for the program I will go instead of putting it off is my current plan. I looked into a couple different locations last night before going to sleep. In a year where golf rounds were up, my rounds were significantly down from prior years, especially between march and October where I was back in kitchens cooking 14 hours a day.

I have a weight lifting plan to increase my core and upper body strength. (fortunately all of it can be done on my bowflex).

For flexibility I'm still trying to nail down my plan. I found a few stretching routines but am also considering yoga which I've never done before. Any recommendations here!

For general fitness I have been running with my daughter and training for a few races with her. I've never been a runner but it's a fun activity with my daughter and is helping me build some endurance.

For swing speed I am utilizing the SuperSpeed golf system. I've dabbled with this in the past but this time want to focus on not losing my mechanics while adding speed.

For swing refinement I will continue to hit in my garage bay with the skytrak but I also want to incorporate a coach / lessons to make sure I stay on track. I have had success with 3 coaches and I want one who has time to work with me over the next year. One is local and just got a new job so I'm not sure if he has the time. One is a couple hours north of here and he and his wife have their first baby on the way. The third is in the UK and it would all be remote / video based.

Thanks for the comprehensive response bud!

Looks like you're on the right track and will be firing on all cylinders come December 2021!

As for yoga, my experience similar to golf instruction is finding a practice (instructor) that works for you and helps you, if you're a beginner look for ones that have beginner classes and help you drill down the foundational movements and the best part about yoga is you can kind of control it and work the practice to suit your needs

If he brings it down the chimney is it covered in soot?

Any particular brand you are hoping for? What are you going to work on with your putting with the new mat?

No particular brand. Beggers can't be choosers.
Mainly just want to work on keeping the rhythm going during the winter. Starting on my intended line can sometimes be an issue so staying on top of that through the winter would help get the season kick started in the Spring too.

My practice/training plan this off season will be what it is during the regular season. No practice or ttraining and just take my game as it is when ever the weather cooperates. If changes need to be made I will just have to adjust on the course!

You mention dialing in the gapping - would you be concerned about your shaft profile with your new swing?

Honestly I'm not too sure. The whole swing isn't new necessarily, is just the one element of it. Because I hit the FTs so well I'm just hoping that the tweaks will make things a lot more consistent as opposed to just being 7i going anywhere from 150 to 175 depending on how fat I hit it. Is getting easier with every practice session, I just want to get to the stage where the swing is unconscious rather than having to deliberately run through a checklist in my head before I swing each time.

How'd the analysis go?

Do you have your 4-6 month plan - what is going to be the easiest change to adapt and what do you think is going to be the hardest?
Ha......we got hit with a massive snow storm and it was moved to this coming Monday afternoon. Stay Tuned!

Honestly I'm not too sure. The whole swing isn't new necessarily, is just the one element of it. Because I hit the FTs so well I'm just hoping that the tweaks will make things a lot more consistent as opposed to just being 7i going anywhere from 150 to 175 depending on how fat I hit it. Is getting easier with every practice session, I just want to get to the stage where the swing is unconscious rather than having to deliberately run through a checklist in my head before I swing each time.

Makes sense, looking forward to following the journey.

If you're grinding out halves I think you should take a look at what other people are doing to improve their games and see what you can adapt :LOL::ROFLMAO::p:D ;)
@chefkritter & I grinned out a halve about a month ago and that won the event... Sometimes it’s about just putting something beside a 0 on the board.

Going to be difficult to do anything swing related as all the domes and indoor places here (toronto) are shutdown. Not sure if or when theyll open. I can swing a club in my garage to keep the rust off and check mechanics but no ball hitting.

My real aim is fitness related. I've suffered from stiff back for ever. I'm going to do a lot of core work and flexibility stuff to get myself in top golf shape.
I bought the TRX suspension system and ive done a few workouts already and they are legit.

I’ll have a putting mat by the end of the year and want to hit driving ranges on days that it isn’t too cold.

Playing tomorrow nine in fifties and hit some balls but mainly I am working out daily (weekends sometimes twice) with intense spin cycling classes at least three times a week, body pump (weights in class) and machines with light weights and lots of reps and finish always 5 min with 20 lb exercise ball. At 63 fitness most important part to improve game and highly considering speed sticks although own older variant of weighted club. Props all!

I am setting up a net in one bay of our garage. My netting material should be here sometime next week and I ordered a Skytrak so I can actually practise. Once that gets here I won’t be surprised I hit balls 4 or 5 nights a week, I really want to work on my short game from 120y and in.

Back