2020 Better You Fitness Thread

Fantastic night in the gym for me. Warm-ups felt like hell. Nothing felt good and I was worried if I was going to be able to do my programmed squats. Well, I put my weight on the bar and did my squats.
First set moved really darn well, the 435x5 matched a personal best. I then worked up to a good single at 480, it was the most I have had on my back since August, and it moved really well. I am pleased!

Also did some paused RDLs at 285, 3x8 and kettlebell paused shrugs 70, 3x10. My elbow feels like hell, but I don't care.
Nice, sounds like you are making some great progress! Just have to get that pesky elbow figured out!

How's everyone's Feb going? half way through! Then we turn the corner for Spring! Warmer temps can not get here quick enough

Day 2 of T25...I can still walk!! :LOL:

How's everyone's Feb going? half way through! Then we turn the corner for Spring! Warmer temps can not get here quick enough
So far so good here. Been keeping up with my push ups and yoga. I've also been trying to get a walk outside or up and down the stairs during lunch. Not as much cardio as I want, but it's hard during the winter at times. Once warmer temps hit I can get out and run or ride my bike.

How's yours going @KCSmitty ?

Finishing up the intensification block of my program. Squats went up, nicely. I am curious to see what the other lifts do. I hired an online coach to help with my power clean and power snatch. As well as I can teach them and get a person to do them, I cannot seem to get myself to move the way I want to, so I hired a professional. He's the head strength and conditioning coach at Morgan State University.

So far so good here. Been keeping up with my push ups and yoga. I've also been trying to get a walk outside or up and down the stairs during lunch. Not as much cardio as I want, but it's hard during the winter at times. Once warmer temps hit I can get out and run or ride my bike.

How's yours going @KCSmitty ?
Up and downs... Crazy business travel and cold weather but no one has time for excuses. Works out still remain fairly intense but diet... not so much.

Up and downs... Crazy business travel and cold weather but no one has time for excuses. Works out still remain fairly intense but diet... not so much.
That's alright, you can get there! I've always found that a little planning ahead helps me with what I eat. Easier said than done sometimes, but i'll pack the night before work, or get healthy snacks from the grocery instead of visiting the vending machine. Little things that have helped me.

Pretty good session today. Bench presses went fine. 325x4 was relatively easy, had more to give, which is good to know. 340x1 was easy enough. 360xN/A moved well and I thought I had it, oh well. I did some weighted dips, 36lb 4x5. Did a bunch of chins through out and finished with the display of elite athleticism. Power snatches 115, 6x2.

Actually took a planned rest day during the week which is a bit strange for me. Planing to start the strong 5x5 plan tomorrow, assuming I can find a bar in the gym.

Garage driving range session followed by swing speed work tonight. Planning to lift weights tomorrow

Good walk today after lunch. (y)

My February seems to be going well, but I'm not stepping on the scale quite yet. Did breeze right through my workout today moving a little more weight than usual, so that's a good sign. There was a gorgeous badass lifting next to me today though, and that never hurts. ;)

So a friend talked me into signing up for a charity run in April. 4.2 miles.
I hate running. But am committed to training. And properly building to that distance. Today was my first back to back run days. It’s only 1.5 mile distance. But I’m able to run it and my feet aren’t too mad at me yet. They do get sure the next day.
My pace may need work as it might be too fast for longer distance. But time will tell. Saturday is a 2 mile day.

I hate running. But am committed to training. And properly building to that distance. Today was my first back to back run days. It’s only 1.5 mile distance. But I’m able to run it and my feet aren’t too mad at me yet. They do get sure the next day.
My pace may need work as it might be too fast for longer distance. But time will tell. Saturday is a 2 mile day.

You might not need it, but check out the 'Couch to 10k' apps that you can get on your phone - they have plans to build you up week by week and it starts with more walking than running, but then the ratio shifts until you are running all the time and increasing distance

Nice! That's the best way to train for running, commit to an event! I always have a difficult time keeping a good pace. My wife, who used to run cross country, hates running with me because of that haha. Good luck, can't wait to hear how the training and the actual event go for you!

I didn't get in much last night, had to tend to a sick kid. But that's alright, today is a new day and I will get it in!

You might not need it, but check out the 'Couch to 10k' apps that you can get on your phone - they have plans to build you up week by week and it starts with more walking than running, but then the ratio shifts until you are running all the time and increasing distance
I'm going to check that out as well. My daughter is so enamored with running its a program we can do together. Thanks!

Day 3 and it was total body today...my hips are complaining. I had to do quite a few of the modifiers but I'm still in there giving it a go.

Day 3 and it was total body today...my hips are complaining. I had to do quite a few of the modifiers but I'm still in there giving it a go.
Just keep building up! Do what you can, and soon you will be amazed with what you can do!

I'm going to check that out as well. My daughter is so enamored with running its a program we can do together. Thanks!

No problem

If your daughter is just starting running, there also 5k versions that she could start with - or if she is beyond that, just ignore this post ;)

Geesh, that's a long time... hope everything goes well for you and that you can get home sooner rather than later! Hopefully this diet will be good for you too ?

Thanks. As far as dieting, I think my experience so far shows me how important exercise is to your health.

Like I said, I had no solid food for 3 straight days. Yet when I got home I had gained 3 pounds?

I was surprised until I thought about it. I basically didn’t move for 3 days also. Not by choice but in the hospital I was basically an invalid. I underestimated how much I move/walked during a normal day. Anyway, once I’m recovered I’ll get back in the gym

Thanks. As far as dieting, I think my experience so far shows me how important exercise is to your health.

Like I said, I had no solid food for 3 straight days. Yet when I got home I had gained 3 pounds?

I was surprised until I thought about it. I basically didn’t move for 3 days also. Not by choice but in the hospital I was basically an invalid. I underestimated how much I move/walked during a normal day. Anyway, once I’m recovered I’ll get back in the gym
Best of luck with recovery. Hoping it all goes smooth for you!

Thanks. The race sight listed a training plan with a day by day run plan to build to the 4.2 miles. I’m using that. Ten years ago I decided to start running. So I went out and ran 3 miles. And never ran again.
I’ve got the cardio fitness but a set of feet that need some coaxing.

Nice! That's the best way to train for running, commit to an event! I always have a difficult time keeping a good pace. My wife, who used to run cross country, hates running with me because of that haha. Good luck, can't wait to hear how the training and the actual event go for you!
So far I’m keeping pace. It just that That pace might be too fast. 8:30/mile.

The event is Pat’s Run fir the Pat Tillman foundation. Hence the 4.2 miles. We get finish in the stadium at his statue

Thanks. The race sight listed a training plan with a day by day run plan to build to the 4.2 miles. I’m using that. Ten years ago I decided to start running. So I went out and ran 3 miles. And never ran again.
I’ve got the cardio fitness but a set of feet that need some coaxing.
Have you gotten a good pair of running shoes that you were fit into? This made all the difference to me, getting a quality pair that matches how I run.

Back