2020 Better You Fitness Thread

Did a 3.5k run today after walking 18 holes carrying my bag

Alfie managed to trip me up, causing me to fall like a lead weight, rip my skins and gash my knee badly

More annoyed that my skins are now destroyed, will have to turn them into under shorts now
Oh man, sorry to hear, but glad nothing worse than that!

I'm 10 weeks into Noom and down 12lbs. I feel much better, never have heart burn, and fit into my clothes better.
That's great. Always good confirmation when you feel and look better! Nice work!

Bumping it up to 30 minute yoga sessions. Whew, never knew how much of a workout it could be. Honestly it's been a while since I've felt this good. I sit most of the day at my desk, and used to aches and pains in my neck and back, even legs, but this has really helped to eliminate most of these. So glad I took up yoga, and have continued to do it.

3 months into gym closures I’m up 2 lbs. I’ve done some body weight exercises and done a number of heavy projectS at the daughter and son in laws house. Mostly I take the grandson on 2 1 hour walks a day.

I went back to my big gym today. Seems like maybe 25% of normal crowd. Time to get back on the wagon. Between shutdowns, golfers elbow and knee injury, I’m up quite a few pounds.

Down to 180 lbs this morning for the first time in about 9 months which means I've doubled my collection of golf shorts and board shorts that I can wear, lol. I've been doing the intermittent fasting for a couple of weeks by only eating from noon to 8pm most days and maybe more importantly I've cut down on my beer consumption during the week. Those IPA's that I drink are 160-170 calories each so when I cut out 10 or more each week it adds up. My ideal weight for my almost 6-foot frame is about 175 lbs so if I can keep it up I might get there in another month.

Down to 180 lbs this morning for the first time in about 9 months which means I've doubled my collection of golf shorts and board shorts that I can wear, lol. I've been doing the intermittent fasting for a couple of weeks by only eating from noon to 8pm most days and maybe more importantly I've cut down on my beer consumption during the week. Those IPA's that I drink are 160-170 calories each so when I cut out 10 or more each week it adds up. My ideal weight for my almost 6-foot frame is about 175 lbs so if I can keep it up I might get there in another month.
Nice work. Has to feel good to see the progress, and I'm sure you're feeling better as well! I know I can tell when I eat/drink right because I have more energy, and I just feel like a better me. Keep it going!

Up until a couple days ago, I had lost 10lb since lock-down started, but I managed to undo some of that good work as it was Jen's birthday earlier this week and we ordered food from a new restaurant that is opening in town, but they are doing takeaway at the moment

So in the space of a couple days, I had gone from being down 10lb, to only being down 8lb the day after her birthday :oops:

Mainly down to eating a bit better due to working from home, and not snacking through the day like I have a bad habit of doing when in the office

Up until a couple days ago, I had lost 10lb since lock-down started, but I managed to undo some of that good work as it was Jen's birthday earlier this week and we ordered food from a new restaurant that is opening in town, but they are doing takeaway at the moment

So in the space of a couple days, I had gone from being down 10lb, to only being down 8lb the day after her birthday :oops:

Mainly down to eating a bit better due to working from home, and not snacking through the day like I have a bad habit of doing when in the office
Nothing wrong with a day or 2 of fun! It's bad for me, because my wife and I have birthdays 6 days apart, so it's like a full week of cake and ice cream :rolleyes:. By her birthday I don't even want any more. I have been eating a lot less sugar before that, and I honestly didn't feel good after eating so much cake and ice cream. Just confirms to me that staying away from that, for the most part, allows me to feel better. Now if I can just remember that as I'm cutting another slice of cake :cautious:

Nice work. Has to feel good to see the progress, and I'm sure you're feeling better as well! I know I can tell when I eat/drink right because I have more energy, and I just feel like a better me. Keep it going!

I still have a fast metabolism at age 55 and always feel better when I get my weight down to below 182 lbs. I kick myself sometimes when it creeps closer to 190 lbs. as it's pure laziness/lack of discipline on my part.

I still have a fast metabolism at age 55 and always feel better when I get my weight down to below 182 lbs. I kick myself sometimes when it creeps closer to 190 lbs. as it's pure laziness/lack of discipline on my part.
I too have that fast metabolism, but noticed it slowing down as I get in my mid 30's. Nothing crazy, but I can tell. I'm in the same boat, when I get lazy I feel and see it, then get annoyed with myself. Since I started the first Fitness Challenge here back in October/November, I haven't reverted back to any long term laziness. My attitude, energy level, and overall well being has very much improved. I'll never be 20 again, but I can get close to feeling the same by continuing this Better Me journey. Eating well, and exercise are my keys to success.

Nothing wrong with a day or 2 of fun! It's bad for me, because my wife and I have birthdays 6 days apart, so it's like a full week of cake and ice cream :rolleyes:. By her birthday I don't even want any more. I have been eating a lot less sugar before that, and I honestly didn't feel good after eating so much cake and ice cream. Just confirms to me that staying away from that, for the most part, allows me to feel better. Now if I can just remember that as I'm cutting another slice of cake :cautious:
Don't mention cake.....we ate enough of that the last few days.....:sick:

Man with the weather changing here I've completely fallen off the wagon and being dragged behind it. I haven't worked out in over a month. Need to make some time to start over

I put in 3 more miles last night. I struggled last Thursday and Friday running. Probably because I gave blood on Wednesday. Yesterday wasn't so bad so hopefully I can get back into the swing now.

I put in 3 more miles last night. I struggled last Thursday and Friday running. Probably because I gave blood on Wednesday. Yesterday wasn't so bad so hopefully I can get back into the swing now.
Do you have a goal of miles per week, or month? Or is it just about how you're feeling on that day as to how far you go?

Do you have a goal of miles per week, or month? Or is it just about how you're feeling on that day as to how far you go?

Right now, I'm trying to keep up 3x3 and one long(er) run each week around 5-6 miles. I was doing good with the 3,4,3,6 for a couple weeks and then faltered a bit. I'd like to be able to run a half in October. If I do that, I'll need to get up to 3,5,3,10 at some point. Might even throw in a 12 if I feel like I'm up to it.

Heck, looking at those numbers, they even look low. I think I was doing 30 miles each week leading up to my best half marathon and I broke 40 for a few weeks leading up to my last full marathon. If I do another full, it won't be until at least next April so that's not even on my radar yet.

Heck, looking at those numbers, they even look low. I think I was doing 30 miles each week leading up to my best half marathon and I broke 40 for a few weeks leading up to my last full marathon. If I do another full, it won't be until at least next April so that's not even on my radar yet.
Well it's been fun following all the running you've been getting into! Keep it up, and I can't wait to see where it takes you!

Well it's been fun following all the running you've been getting into! Keep it up, and I can't wait to see where it takes you!
Even if I never run another race, I feel exponentially better when I'm running regularly. The hard part is finding the time when the weather is nice and I wanna hit the range or play 9 holes in the evening.

Even if I never run another race, I feel exponentially better when I'm running regularly. The hard part is finding the time when the weather is nice and I wanna hit the range or play 9 holes in the evening.
This is my biggest holdback too. With 3 kids it's not easy to just go run.

I had a really good workout yesterday. It was hard.

Squatted 405 for 3 sets of 5. Those went fine. I then deadlifted 515 for a set of five. I have deadlifted 515 for 5 many times before, but never after heavy squats. My back was fried but I still got them done. It was a challenge but felt good to get accomplished.

I had a really good workout yesterday. It was hard.

Squatted 405 for 3 sets of 5. Those went fine. I then deadlifted 515 for a set of five. I have deadlifted 515 for 5 many times before, but never after heavy squats. My back was fried but I still got them done. It was a challenge but felt good to get accomplished.
Way to keep pushing yourself. I love the feel after getting it done, especially when you are pushing where you were before.

Man with the weather changing here I've completely fallen off the wagon and being dragged behind it. I haven't worked out in over a month. Need to make some time to start over
Unfortunately I've been about the same.. Minimal exercise and the diet has been decent but not great..

Ran 5 1/2K today, didn't take Aflie, but did take one of the other dogs

Faster pace today, set 7 personal bests. I can go faster, just need to let my knee get better, it hurt a little today especially on the rocky sections

I use Nike Run CLub and Strava to track my routes and stats, seems to be working so far

Back