2020 Better You Fitness Thread

I think this was mentioned in another thread, but I've been reading The Barbell Prescription by Dr. Jonathon M. Sullivan, who started Greysteel Strength & Conditioning

He references a lot of recent data that suggest pretty strongly that weight training is better for most people so much more than aerobic training, and that weight training (if done right) is more effective at lowering risk of cardiovascular disease than exercises like running.

One of his quotes:
"Exercise is the most powerful medicine in the world, especially for the aging adult, and if you aren’t engaged in a vigorous exercise program, you are opening the door to the sick aging phenotype."

That being said, for me it's easier to begin this journey (again) slowly, so I'm starting out with daily rowing sessions on the Concept 2 Model D. 2,500 meters as a beginning goal, but I'm planning on taking it up to 5,000 m/day (which should be a little over 30 min.

For me, rowing is deceptively easy & I don't feel like much is happening - until I try to stand up!

I promise to be a LOT more active in this thread from now on, because I need that daily accountability and it's good to give words of encouragement to the rest of the THPers in here. My goal is to be at 175 lb by October - that's when my daughter is getting married. That's 35 lb in 8 months, really just about a pound per week.

In the words of Amy Bockerstette, "I've got this!"
And in the words of Michael Breed, "Let's DO THIS!"

I think this was mentioned in another thread, but I've been reading The Barbell Prescription by Dr. Jonathon M. Sullivan, who started Greysteel Strength & Conditioning

He references a lot of recent data that suggest pretty strongly that weight training is better for most people so much more than aerobic training, and that weight training (if done right) is more effective at lowering risk of cardiovascular disease than exercises like running.

One of his quotes:
"Exercise is the most powerful medicine in the world, especially for the aging adult, and if you aren’t engaged in a vigorous exercise program, you are opening the door to the sick aging phenotype."

That being said, for me it's easier to begin this journey (again) slowly, so I'm starting out with daily rowing sessions on the Concept 2 Model D. 2,500 meters as a beginning goal, but I'm planning on taking it up to 5,000 m/day (which should be a little over 30 min.

For me, rowing is deceptively easy & I don't feel like much is happening - until I try to stand up!

I promise to be a LOT more active in this thread from now on, because I need that daily accountability and it's good to give words of encouragement to the rest of the THPers in here. My goal is to be at 175 lb by October - that's when my daughter is getting married. That's 35 lb in 8 months, really just about a pound per week.

Alright @Grins glad to have you aboard! Thanks for the book reference on this topic. Best of luck getting to your goal, and congrats on your daughters wedding! Cant wait to follow along as we all work together to lead healthier lifestyles!

One of his quotes:

I've met Dr. Sullivan. He is doing some amazing work.

Forgot to say 2 days in a row of 2500+ m rowing. Nothing crazy but it's a start.

Two reasons I plan on continuing rowing as an exercise are:

1) Works pretty much the whole body. I can really feel it in my core muscles right now.

2) I think HIIT exercises are better at burning fat than long slow aerobic activity. As much as I enjoy running - I really do - it just hasn't helped me lose weight in the past. And as I get older I know it's not helping my knees, hips, ankles, feet to keep pounding on them.

Anyway I think HIIT sessions are easier on a good rowing maching than other types of exercise. When it's time to crank up the intensity I can row faster & pull harder. Much easier than changing speeds on a treadmill or sprinting outside in the middle of the winter.

I've met Dr. Sullivan. He is doing some amazing work.

I think you were the guy that mentioned him originally. I'm subscribed to his Greysteel newsletter. Now it's time to get serious about what he's doing on a personal level.
And his videos are funny as hell! And informative.

I think you were the guy that mentioned him originally. I'm subscribed to his Greysteel newsletter. Now it's time to get serious about what he's doing on a personal level.
And his videos are funny as hell! And informative.
Probably was. I can't recommend that book enough.

Dr. Sullivan and I are both Starting Strength Coaches.

One of his quotes:

Welcome to this thread. You are now accountable. ;)

Well after a string of good weeks , I had a lack luster performance last week. Missed 2 days. Back at it again today.

I think one of the hardest things for me is going to be getting enough quality sleep. If I'm shooting for 8 hours, and I'm also getting up to work out before I go to work, I'd have to go to bed at 9-9:30 pm. That ain't happening. Not sure what I'll do to get around this problem.

I think one of the hardest things for me is going to be getting enough quality sleep. If I'm shooting for 8 hours, and I'm also getting up to work out before I go to work, I'd have to go to bed at 9-9:30 pm. That ain't happening. Not sure what I'll do to get around this problem.
Get the most/best sleep you can and make up for it on the weekends.

Get the most/best sleep you can and make up for it on the weekends.
Been trying to get the recommended 8 hours of sleep with not much luck for the past 4 years. Guess that's what having 3 kids 4 and under gets you ?

Well after a string of good weeks , I had a lack luster performance last week. Missed 2 days. Back at it again today.
Keep it going man!

Things have gotten bad enough that I joined a gym and changed my diet. After about 2 weeks I’ve lost 7 pounds, just from diet. Went to the gym for the first time in years yesterday and went back again today.
Nice work Frank. One day at a time!

Still going strong. 25 days in a row.

Weighing in tomorrow for office biggest loser.
Regardless of the scale Matty. Progress is progress! Keep it up ?

Tomorrow is a new day guys. Never miss a Monday!Screenshot_20200126-213457_Clock.jpg

Push ups and a good yoga session tonight. Yoga felt really good as I had tightness in my legs before I started. A lot better now!

Push ups and a good yoga session tonight. Yoga felt really good as I had tightness in my legs before I started. A lot better now!
My scheduled workout was legs. However my knees are killing me from doing the work on the house this past week. I’ll give it another day and maybe do legs Tuesday.

Happy Monday guys! 22 degrees and snow here in Kansas City, was tough to get up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200127-065512_Connect.jpg
    Screenshot_20200127-065512_Connect.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1
I am going to add rowing to my morning routine. I am a bit bored with spin class and weights daily. Fun to do somethig new.

I am going to add rowing to my morning routine. I am a bit bored with spin class and weights daily. Fun to do somethig new.
Seems like a good way to mix it up! Been pondering a rower for a while now, which has been documented in this thread. Just need to take the plunge!

Happy Monday guys! 22 degrees and snow here in Kansas City, was tough to get up.
But you did! Happy Monday, here's to a great week!

Back