2020 Better You Fitness Thread

Was able to hit the gym 5 days last week! On top of a little healthier eating I was able to shed about 6lbs for the first week of my gym's transformation challenge. I know the first few weeks the lbs are going to come off pretty quick, just need to try and set reasonable goals for each week and keep hitting them!

I am going to add rowing to my morning routine. I am a bit bored with spin class and weights daily. Fun to do somethig new.
I have rowed several times a week for the past few years (big part of my dropping 90lbs over the past 2 years), and it has been great. I try to alternate it with my Air Assault bike. I like to alternate the bike and the row because rowing is a pulling exercise and biking a pushing. So they work opposite muscle groups, creating a good balance. I also love rowing because I feel like it opens up my hips and helps the golf swing. On days I play I like to do a light row before I head to the course and I feel so much looser when I start warming up.

Was able to hit the gym 5 days last week! On top of a little healthier eating I was able to shed about 6lbs for the first week of my gym's transformation challenge. I know the first few weeks the lbs are going to come off pretty quick, just need to try and set reasonable goals for each week and keep hitting them!
So try, especially with a long term plan. Keep hitting goals, adjust them as needed, and you will change over the year! Keep it up!

I have rowed several times a week for the past few years (big part of my dropping 90lbs over the past 2 years), and it has been great. I try to alternate it with my Air Assault bike. I like to alternate the bike and the row because rowing is a pulling exercise and biking a pushing. So they work opposite muscle groups, creating a good balance. I also love rowing because I feel like it opens up my hips and helps the golf swing. On days I play I like to do a light row before I head to the course and I feel so much looser when I start warming up.
@ApexFan also likes to warm up on the rower before hitting the course. Seems like you guys might be onto something! Since it is a full body exercise this makes sense.

@ApexFan also likes to warm up on the rower before hitting the course. Seems like you guys might be onto something! Since it is a full body exercise this makes sense.
Yes I do. Just kinda loosens to while body.

I've been eating right and running with my daughter but I need to clean the garage again so I can lift some weights and do some core strength exercises

I've been eating right and running with my daughter but I need to clean the garage again so I can lift some weights and do some core strength exercises
Get cleaning! That could be a workout before the workout! Good luck getting this new regime up and running!

I was hoping my one sit up each day would be enough - half a sit up when I go to bed and half a sit up when I get up LOL

I know even us older guys need some exercise. The bad thing for me is I have worked an office job for the last ten years which really is not good for health. The thing I got going for me is I am a very active person outside around my house and golf as well as watch my eating habits that I stay in fairly good condition. I still feel I need more exercise though.

10 miler booked for end of April.

Looking at Oct for my Half, want to get through golf season.
We will provide you with the motivation!

Adding a weekend run to the 4 weekly gym sessions I'm doing currently, along with full time intermittent fasting
Probably should focus a bit more on the diet as well but that's never been too bad.

I was hoping my one sit up each day would be enough - half a sit up when I go to bed and half a sit up when I get up LOL

I know even us older guys need some exercise. The bad thing for me is I have worked an office job for the last ten years which really is not good for health. The thing I got going for me is I am a very active person outside around my house and golf as well as watch my eating habits that I stay in fairly good condition. I still feel I need more exercise though.
During the fall a lot of my activity center around yard work. During the winter I get a lot out of shoveling snow. I like to be able to be productive and remain healthy, 2 bird as they say.

Adding a weekend run to the 4 weekly gym sessions I'm doing currently, along with full time intermittent fasting
Probably should focus a bit more on the diet as well but that's never been too bad.
Nice, keep building onto that work out, and see where it takes you!

I think this was mentioned in another thread, but I've been reading The Barbell Prescription by Dr. Jonathon M. Sullivan, who started Greysteel Strength & Conditioning

Luch - read "The Barbell Prescription".

1 month and a day in and I am down 6.8% and I can see a difference and feel so much better on a daily basis. Last week I tried to reduce most of the carbs in my diet. Trying to stay under 100g of carbs each day.

Going to keep trucking along.

1 month and a day in and I am down 6.8% and I can see a difference and feel so much better on a daily basis. Last week I tried to reduce most of the carbs in my diet. Trying to stay under 100g of carbs each day.

Going to keep trucking along.
The bolded above is a big motivator for me. At home I want the energy to play with my kids, and still have enough left in the tank to sit and talk with my wife at the end of a long day. I want to feel good so that others around me feel good because they can see that I am optimistic, upbeat, and energetic!

Having recently retired from competitive rugby I still mostly do heavy weights and some anaerobic fitness. Now that I'm focused on golf and overall fitness I'm looking to lighten the weights and up the reps to get leaner. Am also working on my flexibility for golf and a bit more aerobic fitness which I can't stand but am trying to power through.

Wife surprised the heck out of me the other day and she impulse bought a rowing machine at Costco. :ROFLMAO:

Got it all set up for her, and now I will have no excuse for not using it either. Between my planned walks for lunch at work(which I am about to head out to do), rowing a few times per week on her new machine, and bowling a couple nights per week, that will keep me ahead of my current situation of only bowling/golf as my "exercise".

Wife surprised the heck out of me the other day and she impulse bought a rowing machine at Costco. :ROFLMAO:

Got it all set up for her, and now I will have no excuse for not using it either. Between my planned walks for lunch at work(which I am about to head out to do), rowing a few times per week on her new machine, and bowling a couple nights per week, that will keep me ahead of my current situation of only bowling/golf as my "exercise".
That's great, what a nice lady! It's great when both of you can better yourselves! My wife and I try to do yoga each night together. Added motivation!

That's great, what a nice lady! It's great when both of you can better yourselves! My wife and I try to do yoga each night together. Added motivation!
(y) The rower has a year of iFit coaching which can be connected to the rower. iFit aso has Yoga and we plan on using that as well to fit that in too.

Hell yeah!!! I love the rowing machine.

Decent session tonight. Deadlifts were 525, 3x2. Then I did some dumbbell snatches. Worked up to 65lbs for a couple of doubles. They were fine. Could have gone heavier, but didn't want to.

Good workout tonight. Did arms and light deadlifts. My back has been a little tight lately so I stayed light. Tried doing Super Speed Training and decided against it. Instead I did some form swing practice.

If my wife bought a rowing machine for herself that would be fine, BUT if she bought one having in mind I would use it....NOT SO MUCH j/k :p

So after some not good blood work from the Dr. I'm shedding the dad bod and cutting weight. I've been minimizing sugar and carbs, and that has helped tremendously. I'm down about 12lbs from 3 weeks ago on diet alone! I was at 270, my goal is 215-220.

Down 9 pounds and a belt notch. 3 more to go to get to my normal weight (which is too heavy too).

Back