2020 Better You Fitness Thread

gkeller813

#UsGotThis
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Here you go @ApexFan , ask and you shall receive a new thread to start off the New Year! Can't wait to see @OITW post pictures in here after he finishes his 1/2 marathon this year!

Some of us have been working on our fitness the last few months, and I've found it enjoyable and very motivating, so I wanted to put a place out there where we can discuss our plans for a better, healthier lifestyle heading into 2020. Since I think that there are many factors that can create a healthier lifestyle, I'd like to open this up to changes you are trying to make to get yourself in a better spot health wise. Exercising more, eating better, stressing less, etc. etc. What are you doing? Where do you want to be? Discuss it with us as we continue our journey!

My goals:
1. Get back to exercising every day. I did really good in November, but fell off in December. 3 objectives here:
- 150 Pushups per day
- 20 minutes of yoga (helped me so much with neck and back pain when I was in a regular routine!)
- at least 3 days of cardio per week, at least 30 minutes at a time (something I've wanted to start by haven't)

2. At Work - Less Stress and Less Sitting
- Take time to stand up, stretch, and clear my mind throughout the day instead of sitting all day
- Get a stand up desk (coming in April when a co-worker retires)
- If possible, walk with a co-worker instead of standing in their cubicle/office to discuss plans for the project and/or day

Jump in on what your plans and goals are, and let's see how we can become better together!

Thanks for continuing and starting this thread for 2020. I am working on improving my fitness and flexibility. I need to incorporate some cardio but the only cardio I enjoy is running. Unfortunately, I find it difficult, if not impossible, to run in the winter. Conditions - weather (snow, ice, cold) and darkness (workout in the evening) work against me. And I'm not a huge fan of the treadmill. Have used one in the past but now I struggle mentally to log anything more than 10 minutes on a treadmill.

Plans for my 2020 fitness. Continue and improve what I started in November. For me I won’t put a number on anything. I’ve learned to listen to my body over the years. What seems to be working currently is 3-4 days a week work outs. This allows for me to do other things as well and not feel guilty.
:)
my goal is to feel great. Ok ok, feel better. Play better and look better. It was a lot easier years ago but it can still be done. Consistency is the key. I’m my 40’s I was in the best shape of my life. Work got in the way but I’m ready to see if I can say the same in my 50’s.

Thanks for continuing and starting this thread for 2020. I am working on improving my fitness and flexibility. I need to incorporate some cardio but the only cardio I enjoy is running. Unfortunately, I find it difficult, if not impossible, to run in the winter. Conditions - weather (snow, ice, cold) and darkness (workout in the evening) work against me. And I'm not a huge fan of the treadmill. Have used one in the past but now I struggle mentally to log anything more than 10 minutes on a treadmill.
I'm in the same boat as you. Trying to find some cardio I can do indoors during the winter has been a task. I think I've finally settled on a rower, just need to settle on which one now!

Plans for my 2020 fitness. Continue and improve what I started in November. For me I won’t put a number on anything. I’ve learned to listen to my body over the years. What seems to be working currently is 3-4 days a week work outs. This allows for me to do other things as well and not feel guilty.
:)
my goal is to feel great. Ok ok, feel better. Play better and look better. It was a lot easier years ago but it can still be done. Consistency is the key. I’m my 40’s I was in the best shape of my life. Work got in the way but I’m ready to see if I can say the same in my 50’s.
I really like that goal, to feel better! I'm firmly in that camp as well, working out, reducing stress so that I can be in the moment. I'd rather that instead of worrying about this or that, or not feeling well enough physically to the point that it negatively affects my mood.

I used to play soccer in college, so a 90 minutes game where I ran a lot was the norm. Now I struggle to play a 50 minutes men's league game, and it frustrates me so much. I know I'm not going to feel like i'm 20 again, but I know I can feel better!

Not sure how much I'll remember to update a thread like this throughout the year, but we just ordered a peloton. Plan is to get in shape and strengthen my back so I can hold and play with my kid more. I've gotten used to the back issues while golfing and can live through that...but somehow 15lbs feels like 100 sometimes.

Goals for myself are to keep off the weight I lost in the last year by continuing my low carb diet and doing cardio. Tried a treadmill and the impact on my knee made that a no go. Mentioned to the wife about getting a rower a couple of weeks ago and this morning she told me she had ordered one from Amazon, no idea what it is and guess I will find out next Monday.

Not sure how much I'll remember to update a thread like this throughout the year, but we just ordered a peloton. Plan is to get in shape and strengthen my back so I can hold and play with my kid more. I've gotten used to the back issues while golfing and can live through that...but somehow 15lbs feels like 100 sometimes.
A lot of my motivation too comes from wanting to play with my kids, not only now when they are 4 and 2, but as they get older as well. To be able to kick the ball around, throw the baseball, and golf with them is worth some of the extra effort!

Goals for myself are to keep off the weight I lost in the last year by continuing my low carb diet and doing cardio. Tried a treadmill and the impact on my knee made that a no go. Mentioned to the wife about getting a rower a couple of weeks ago and this morning she told me she had ordered one from Amazon, no idea what it is and guess I will find out next Monday.
You'll have to let me know which on you got, and as you use it how you like it!

I got into working out due to back problems some 30 years ago. When I’ve slacked off to much they creep back in to remind me. Not sure what kind of issues your dealing with but there may be a exercise/workout way to relief.

The great thing about a rowing machine is it’s a complete body workout including cardio. I’d love to add one to my garage gym.

I got into working out due to back problems some 30 years ago. When I’ve slacked off to much they creep back in to remind me. Not sure what kind of issues your dealing with but there may be a exercise/workout way to relief.
Oh there is, same thing happens to me. I just need to get back into it and stick to it. Core and leg muscles are the biggest way to help.

Oh there is, same thing happens to me. I just need to get back into it and stick to it. Core and leg muscles are the biggest way to help.
It’s amazing how much relief we can get from exercise. I spent thousands on Chiropractic until I found the proper program for me. I go about once a year now. He always says, whatever your doing keep doing it. Yet I still forget and get lazy every now and then. Older I get the less time it takes to fall back into that debilitating pain. Makes that 30-40 minutes 3-4 times a week so much easier.

This is kind of why I put this as a 2020 thread, instead of a January thread, even though I saw the inherent problems of such a long timeframe. I wanted a longer term horizon so that I can look at this as a large body of work, 365 days, instead of 30 days at a time. Otherwise I plan for getting through the month, instead of continuing for longer.

2020 fitness goals.

Run a 6 min mile and bench 300. Also I need to lose about 10 pounds.

I got on paternity leave starting Thursday. I'm planning on doing some Yoga daily as I've been putting it off for years. I also renewed the gym membership so hopefully I can sneak away for at least 30 minutes 3 to 5 times a week.

Gonna try to make weight loss and muscle gain a priority if for nothing else - so I can be active with my kids as they get older.

I got on paternity leave starting Thursday. I'm planning on doing some Yoga daily as I've been putting it off for years. I also renewed the gym membership so hopefully I can sneak away for at least 30 minutes 3 to 5 times a week.

Gonna try to make weight loss and muscle gain a priority if for nothing else - so I can be active with my kids as they get older.
First and foremost, congrats on the new little one! Very exciting, and a good reason to better your health!!

For the yoga, find a good beginner's yoga series on youtube. That's what I did and it was difficult at first, but it is getting easier as I keep with it. I'm not flexible in the slightest, so some basic things they do can be a challenge.

My IT Office desk job has kicked my butt over the last couple of years. Time to drop 20 lbs. It was easier to keep the weight off when I was playing soccer 3 times a week. Not so much anymore. Already started a work out regiment focused on golf and taking some routine stuff from my soccer playing days. Right now I am doing an hour 4 times a week, half workout/cardio, half stretching.

My IT Office desk job has kicked my butt over the last couple of years. Time to drop 20 lbs. It was easier to keep the weight off when I was playing soccer 3 times a week. Not so much anymore. Already started a work out regiment focused on golf and taking some routine stuff from my soccer playing days. Right now I am doing an hour 4 times a week, half workout/cardio, half stretching.
Welcome fellow soccer player! Glad to have you in here!

Had a great workout tonight to finish off the year. It was tough to avoid drinking before hand but I managed. Here’s to a great end to the year and an even better 2020. Let’s all hold each other accountable and our games and life will improve.
Let’s get more fit in 2020. Happy New Year to all my fitness brothers and sisters.

Since my dude @gkeller813 put the pressure on:

Run a 1/2 Marathon this year

Improve overall fitness and health quality

Fat Loss get down to an ideal weight - probably around 180

Be primed and ready to go for the 2020 MC at Sand Hollow - repping Team Hackers

It started today:

6A07130A-C598-4EEF-AE2F-59A075249DC6.jpeg

#134Days #LFG

Since my dude @gkeller813 put the pressure on:

Run a 1/2 Marathon this year

Improve overall fitness and health quality

Fat Loss get down to an ideal weight - probably around 180

Be primed and ready to go for the 2020 MC at Sand Hollow - repping Team Hackers

It started today:

View attachment 8920478

#134Days #LFG
Let's go @OITW glad to see you add that 1/2 marathon to your goals ;) You will get there!

Almost half way done with my 150 pushups for today, did a 20 minute cardio session this morning, and will get some yoga in tonight. Getting this off to a solid start!

I don’t have any drastic goals for fitness but I’d like to make some minor changes to start. Diet wise, cutting back on sugar

Back