2020 Better You Fitness Thread

2 months in and I haven't missed a day yet. May be a best for me, but being retired helps. Mon - shoulders, arms, stretching & cardio. Wed - chest, back, stretching & cardio. Fri - legs, stretching & cardio. All exercises, stretches & cardio are golf specific. I am seeing a difference in my overall fitness. 2020 is looking good with WITB and my fitness.

2 months in and I haven't missed a day yet. May be a best for me, but being retired helps. Mon - shoulders, arms, stretching & cardio. Wed - chest, back, stretching & cardio. Fri - legs, stretching & cardio. All exercises, stretches & cardio are golf specific. I am seeing a difference in my overall fitness. 2020 is looking good with WITB and my fitness.
Awesome way to end 2019! Here's to keeping it going in 2020!

Day one was good, hit all my goals! Should hit them all today as well with my men's league soccer game tonight. Cardio is usually the hardest for me to get in, but 2020 I plan to quit making excuses and just do it.

Played a round to start the year off. Today I’m playing again but may try and get a workout in when i get home. On another note my wife told me to get the rowing machine. ;):egyptian:

Played a round to start the year off. Today I’m playing again but may try and get a workout in when i get home. On another note my wife told me to get the rowing machine. ;):egyptian:
Always a good way to start off the year, with some golf! Which rower do you think you will get?

Always a good way to start off the year, with some golf! Which rower do you think you will get?
Thinking about the Stamina DT 397 right now. Not completely sold yet but it looks good.

Overal goals are a little vague but want to increase my max lifts for a few standard movements and work on my endurance as well throughout the year. I think 10% increase for lifts is attainable but need to confirm two lifts before putting my plan together. That’s this month’s goal. Endurance might be tougher but I think I will have a short and long workout and use those a few times this year to see how I perform. Sounds good in my mind but putting it on paper is next.

Overal goals are a little vague but want to increase my max lifts for a few standard movements and work on my endurance as well throughout the year. I think 10% increase for lifts is attainable but need to confirm two lifts before putting my plan together. That’s this month’s goal. Endurance might be tougher but I think I will have a short and long workout and use those a few times this year to see how I perform. Sounds good in my mind but putting it on paper is next.
Goodluck, and glad to have you in here.

Goodluck, and glad to have you in here.

Thanks me 2! Time to be accountable, although I enjoy working out a lot so it's a fun process, but I want to see what actual gains I can legit see. Guess that diet should get better too..... ugh!!!

I wanna share a little experience I’ve been having lately. I’m only gonna post it here in the fitness thread because that’s what is helping. Dead lifts equal more distance with the driver. I’ve been uncorking some drives lately that have no business this time of year. My drives are carrying the distance I was getting total on good drives.
Deadlifts are a tough movement, and can be dangerous if not done properly. However the power increase from doing this movement is undeniable. We are talking good distance increases very quickly. I don’t expect it to continue at this pace but I do anticipate more because it’s only been a few weeks doing deadlift.
How far? 270 carry currently. I’m suspecting I can reach 300 with a roll out and if I can get some of the height out of my drives. I am totally fired up right now.

Just completed another workout. Dumbbell incline press, lay pull downs and deadlifts. Usually I don’t work out on days I play but I was feeling good. Now I need a nap. :(

I’d like to improve my core strength (currently do a lot of planks, pullups, bardips) by incorporating squats and deadlifts but last time I did squats I really messed up my back so I suspect my form isn’t correct. Also want to up my yoga/meditation to 30 minutes daily. Currently I only make it about 15 minutes before getting bored. It’s really helped my back pain.

I also want to continue Intermittent Fasting, which my wife introduced me to last year. I got down to a weight last year that I hadn’t hit since my swimming days, so I really like it. I averaged about 3x/week last year and would like to sustain that

I'm going to jump in with you guys on this thread. I dropped about 10 lbs the end of 2019, but need to drop another 10-15. I also need to solidify some goals, but not quite sure what I want to do there just yet. Anyway, everyone's goals here are motivational. Look forward to following along!

I’d like to improve my core strength (currently do a lot of planks, pullups, bardips) by incorporating squats and deadlifts but last time I did squats I really messed up my back so I suspect my form isn’t correct. Also want to up my yoga/meditation to 30 minutes daily. Currently I only make it about 15 minutes before getting bored. It’s really helped my back pain.

I also want to continue Intermittent Fasting, which my wife introduced me to last year. I got down to a weight last year that I hadn’t hit since my swimming days, so I really like it. I averaged about 3x/week last year and would like to sustain that
For squats I like to do dumbbell squats. I still do barbell also but not as often. Just hold the dumbbells at your sides and practice good form. Takes the pressure off your back and the legs still get a good work out.

Looking forward to this thread. I need to get going on the fitness thing. Pushing 40 and it’s starting to show haha.

Well, I managed to drop about 40 lbs last year and started playing golf again a few months ago. Definitely want to keep the weight off and continue playing once a week and hitting the range a few times a week. Ideally I'd like to play twice a week. I'd also like to start a golf-centric stretching and weight routine.....Guess I will start now by searching the forums here on THP!

Well, I managed to drop about 40 lbs last year and started playing golf again a few months ago. Definitely want to keep the weight off and continue playing once a week and hitting the range a few times a week. Ideally I'd like to play twice a week. I'd also like to start a golf-centric stretching and weight routine.....Guess I will start now by searching the forums here on THP!
I’d really like to get on a golf-focused program as well. Not sure if they even exist but I figured focusing on my core would be a good start...

I’d really like to get on a golf-focused program as well. Not sure if they even exist but I figured focusing on my core would be a good start...

Do a quick google search of “golf fitness programs at home”. There is one from golf digest that has explanations as to how to perform exercises and stretches.

I'm going to jump in with you guys on this thread. I dropped about 10 lbs the end of 2019, but need to drop another 10-15. I also need to solidify some goals, but not quite sure what I want to do there just yet. Anyway, everyone's goals here are motivational. Look forward to following along!
Let's keep that going into 2020! Welcome aboard!

I'm starting to feel the benefits of yoga now, so I plan to continue. I've been plagued my stiff neck and shoulders, and this relieves some of it.

Looking forward to this thread. I need to get going on the fitness thing. Pushing 40 and it’s starting to show haha.
No better time than the present!

Welcome to the thread! Here to keep each other motivated!

I ended up ordering this rowing machine. There was a good one $100 less but I want fan and magnetic resistance. I think this will do the job just fine and my wife is also interested in it so bonus. D3E3E2EC-EC5D-4AC7-92F4-D5F87EF21184.png

Only other equipment I’d like to get is a Smith Machine. That will make for a pretty nice home gym set up.

I ended up ordering this rowing machine. There was a good one $100 less but I want fan and magnetic resistance. I think this will do the job just fine and my wife is also interested in it so bonus. View attachment 8920665
Nice, that looks great! Can't wait to order mine, still trying to decide on one though.

Close to hitting all my goals for yesterday, but my soccer game was rescheduled, so no cardio. I'll try to make up for it this weekend! Starting to move on from the beginner yoga, and I knew this before, but it's just confirmation, that I am no where near flexible enough. Can't wait to see how consistent, long term yoga will help my stiff neck/back, and hopefully help improve my range of motion while golfing!

Back