2020 Better You Fitness Thread

Core, legs and cardio done. Think I may start doing 2 workouts a day while stuck at home. Think I’ll try that today and see how I feel after.
Thats what i did, added onto my usual since i had the time. Been going well over all for me, and can definitely notice the difference

Thats what i did, added onto my usual since i had the time. Been going well over all for me, and can definitely notice the difference
I’m usually on my feet and on the move at work. Right now a lot more sitting. With that in mind I think an additional 30 minute session could be a good thing.

My wife and I started with YouTube videos. Specifically we used SaraBethYoga. She has a lot of beginner videos for you to start off in. That's where I started, and I've been progressing from there. Give those a shot!
Just coming back again to say I just tried the 10 min beginner one in my lunch break. I found it really good and easy to follow. Thank you again for this, much appreciated. (y)

Just coming back again to say I just tried the 10 min beginner one in my lunch break. I found it really good and easy to follow. Thank you again for this, much appreciated. (y)
Awesome, glad to hear! Happy to help.

It feels like a workout when my 3 nephews show up every summer for a week. They are ages, 5,7, and 12 and it’s all I can do to keep up with them and prevent a hook in someone’s eye when all fishing from the same boat.

With no golf courses open here anytime soon, I’m going to take up fishing again as soon as the ice is out hopefully in a week or less.
I've been busy at work So it was hit-and-miss on checking the forum. I wondered if you were able to get to Florida or not. It seems you were not able to.

8 days into my 200 push up challenge. I did miss my goal one day and only got 100, but I'm still happy with where I'm at. That last set if 50 is always a bear, but feels great when I'm done. Also in my 3rd week of my dumbell workout plan. So glad I added this as it gets me doing more full body stuff.

I've been busy at work So it was hit-and-miss on checking the forum. I wondered if you were able to get to Florida or not. It seems you were not able to.

I got to Florida with my two daughters and my wife and son were supposed to follow us a few days later but were not able to join us as the Covid 19 thing blew up for my wife’s work. We had planned on 15 days in Florida and were only there for 5 days. We likely won’t be back until November as when May gets here we much prefer the MN weather for outdoor activities such as boating and golf over the hot, humid, rainy summer weather in Florida.

So I'm a little late to this thread, but I thought I would at least share what I've been doing to shed a few pounds. Intermittent Fasting. Simply choose which 8 hrs in a 24 hour period you want to eat. I've chosen noon to 8, and as best as I can it's water and coffee the other 16 hours. At first I missed my bowl of cereal to start the day, but once the coffee hits my stomach I can last until noon to eat. When I do eat it is controlled portions, and for the most part have stayed away from bread, which goes straight to the gut, and damn I love me some sandwiches, and pizza, but not givin' that up. I keep fruit and veggies around to munch on when I need it, but also stopped buying chips about 2 months ago because I cannot stay out of them if they're around.

Exercise wise, nothing too intense, I don't need to kill myself at this stage of my life. I'm on the treadmill for 34 minutes daily, or on a 4 mile walk with my wife that takes about an hour. Used to do push-ups, but my pecs started to get too big and I don't need man boobs heading into my senior years, so I'm back to a 15 minute workout with the dumbells, something just to keep my shoulders solid. For my core I've been using a contraption called the Perfect Pullup. It's basically a pullup bar you can install in a door frame, and when combined with the ab straps (separate purchase) you can do "knee ups", essentially the same as sit-ups, but better for your core, puts no strain on lower back, and allows you to focus on your abs, very effective. I will never do a conventional sit up again after having this system.

I'm 5'10", weighed about 187 eight weeks ago, got down to 173 last week, but have been steady at 175 for a couple weeks, and lost almost two notches on my belt. I'm used to the intermittent fasting, so will likely stick with it. From what I've read it will actually change your metabolism. If anybody has any contradicting info I'd sure like to hear it. Anyway, that's my two cents, happy distancing!!

knee up - Copy.jpg

So I'm a little late to this thread, but I thought I would at least share what I've been doing to shed a few pounds. Intermittent Fasting. Simply choose which 8 hrs in a 24 hour period you want to eat. I've chosen noon to 8, and as best as I can it's water and coffee the other 16 hours. At first I missed my bowl of cereal to start the day, but once the coffee hits my stomach I can last until noon to eat. When I do eat it is controlled portions, and for the most part have stayed away from bread, which goes straight to the gut, and damn I love me some sandwiches, and pizza, but not givin' that up. I keep fruit and veggies around to munch on when I need it, but also stopped buying chips about 2 months ago because I cannot stay out of them if they're around.

Exercise wise, nothing too intense, I don't need to kill myself at this stage of my life. I'm on the treadmill for 34 minutes daily, or on a 4 mile walk with my wife that takes about an hour. Used to do push-ups, but my pecs started to get too big and I don't need man boobs heading into my senior years, so I'm back to a 15 minute workout with the dumbells, something just to keep my shoulders solid. For my core I've been using a contraption called the Perfect Pullup. It's basically a pullup bar you can install in a door frame, and when combined with the ab straps (separate purchase) you can do "knee ups", essentially the same as sit-ups, but better for your core, puts no strain on lower back, and allows you to focus on your abs, very effective. I will never do a conventional sit up again after having this system.

I'm 5'10", weighed about 187 eight weeks ago, got down to 173 last week, but have been steady at 175 for a couple weeks, and lost almost two notches on my belt. I'm used to the intermittent fasting, so will likely stick with it. From what I've read it will actually change your metabolism. If anybody has any contradicting info I'd sure like to hear it. Anyway, that's my two cents, happy distancing!!

View attachment 8936552
Seems like you have a good routine going on. I have one of those pull up bars somewhere in my basement I may need to pull out, so I'm glad you said that since I had forgotten about mine.

I'm back on track with the diet and am getting back into lifting and running again after my recent detour..

I'm about a week into the Noom program. I have done very well staying on track. I will admit that for a food lover like me limiting my caloric intake to about 1500 calories a day is very difficult. No beer or booze is hard too. However, I'm amazed at how little food I really need to be satisfied. I feel great, no heartburn at all. My allergies seem to be better as well.

I'm doing quite a bit of cardio, some weight lifting, stretching, and yoga. I've been sore since Sunday!

As of this morning I'm down about 4lbs.

Decided to take a rest day yesterday. My body was really tired and sore from the new workout. Still did a 2 mile walk and a bit of stretching. Feel better today so it will be a good full body day. I have new equipment arriving they the weekend. 10 lb medicine ball, more resistance bands, massage balls for the tight areas in my back and shoulders, and a workout/stretching mat. Since I’m fairly new to golf my body was not really used to a lot of the movements and muscles used. Being in my mid 50’s I’m finding a lot of those muscles were lazy and not very active.

I'm back on track with the diet and am getting back into lifting and running again after my recent detour..
Detours come in many forms and they can all get you out of an exercise routine, so easy to blow it off, especially when it's 85 degrees, just finished 18 and havin' a few pops with the boys, summer is tough on me to keep it going.

Another great work out yesterday. My body is responding really well to this new routine. Taking a rest day was the right thing to do on Thursday and I felt great yesterday.

They stay at home orders and no golf has made it easy to exercises 7 days a week. Today it will be a run this morning, a 5 mile walk with my wife this afternoon along with some strength training.

They stay at home orders and no golf has made it easy to exercises 7 days a week. Today it will be a run this morning, a 5 mile walk with my wife this afternoon along with some strength training.
I agree with this. Taking little breaks during the day to get in some dumbbell sets is so much easier. I'm enjoying this aspect if working from home a lot.

I agree with this. Taking little breaks during the day to get in some dumbbell sets is so much easier. I'm enjoying this aspect if working from home a lot.

I think my wife will be a little sad when this shelter at home thing ends May 5th and she has to go back into her office at work. Both of us love having our two college kids home until Labor Day.

I think my wife will be a little sad when this shelter at home thing ends May 5th and she has to go back into her office at work. Both of us love having our two college kids home until Labor Day.
At that age I'm sure the kids are always busy running around. What an opportunity to really connect with our families during this time.

Definitely easier for me. I prefer to work out in the morning. When I have to go in to work it’s just not in the cards 3:45 am is early enough. So that leaves after work when I’m already a bit or a lot tired.

At that age I'm sure the kids are always busy running around. What an opportunity to really connect with our families during this time.

Yes we are really enjoying this quality time with all three kids. Our oldest will be graduated from college and out on his own likely in another city or state a year from now so we will likely spend more time with him in the next 5 months than we will in the next 10 years combined.

Anyone using the Peleton app with a regular spin bike? Seems like the Schwinn ic4 and Bowlfex c6(pretty much the same bike) really set up well and play super nice with Peleton.

I got a single track mountain bike ride in today, about a 5 mile ride. I'm just getting used to the small hard seat now. I also did a full circuit of stretching, man am I tight.

I played 18, then ran around outside with the kids then used a backpack leaf blower for an hour and a half so our front yard doesn't look like a wreck. I'm worn out!

Been doing a lot of body work stuff at home - Fit For Golf has a bunch of great videos he’s putting out.

installed a pullup bar and have some kettlebells coming as well.

also continuing to get out and run which has felt great

Took a month off from training for various reasons and finally getting back into it lightly tonight. Such a good feeling to move weight around and grateful I have a home setup that does pretty much anything I need to do. My muscles will probably annoy me in two days but I’m ready for the “you worked just hard enough to feel it” feeling to come back!

Back