2020 Better You Fitness Thread

You guys are getting to me. Had some very light dumbells in my hands tonight. This is scary. :love::LOL:
Nothing scary about feeling stronger. Doesn’t take a lot, 30 minutes 4 days a week goes a long ways.

Nothing scary about feeling stronger. Doesn’t take a lot, 30 minutes 4 days a week goes a long ways.
I've been 3 miles a day minimum since January. PT 7x a week. Everyday work every day. Adding extra strengthening whereever I can.
Just spent 30 minutes cleaning the kitchen after cooking. Does this all count? I think so! :cool:

My body is exhausted. 36 holes walked and played and a week of good workouts. Might get in the way of my swing practice today. I’ll try some stretching and foam roller work but it may just be a rest day is in order.

First run today in over a week. 5.5k on a route that I haven't done before

Weight appears to be staying pretty constant at the moment, not sure I like that though as I want to loose some more

Didn't get my walk in yesterday, but the house needed cleaning pretty bad so I used my energies for that.
At least I have a clean living room for the Tour Champ this afternoon. I even cleaned the TV screen. (y)
(I can feel it in my arms from doing a little lifting the day before and the house cleaning. Its a good feeling though.)
I'll have to do my PT while I watch the golf. :cool:

Going to wait for the 100+ temps before I work out today. It actually feels better, just a little slower pace.

All you guys doing the road work make my knees hurt just reading about it. I'll stick to pushing and pulling the heavy things, thankyouverymuch.

All you guys doing the road work make my knees hurt just reading about it. I'll stick to pushing and pulling the heavy things, thankyouverymuch.
No running anymore for me. I think the left ACL is hanging on like a loose rubber band. "Clunk, clunk, clunk" goes the knee.
The weight lifting is the one I never know how I'll feel afterward with my body's inflammatory response. Really have to be careful.

I went for my road work yesterday. Bloodsugars were good all night and into today. I ate and drank too much the last few days and ended up skipping dinner last night. (Passed out tired.) Pretty rare that happens.

I was just telling the wife that I don't think running impacts my knees anywhere near as much as walking. When I walk 18 several days in a row, I can feel it in my knees... especially near the end of each round. I think when I run, as long as I'm maintaining a good stride and not pounding my feet, my knees don't get the impact as much.

I was just telling the wife that I don't think running impacts my knees anywhere near as much as walking. When I walk 18 several days in a row, I can feel it in my knees... especially near the end of each round. I think when I run, as long as I'm maintaining a good stride and not pounding my feet, my knees don't get the impact as much.

:unsure::oops::confused:

Hard pass. When I run, my knees basically sing a really loud and obnoxious song about how many roofs they've done, and how many things are torn and not fixed, and how much they're gone to make me regret what I'm currently doing, that just gets louder and more painful as I go. :LOL:. They have history that refuses to be ignored. Walking is better, but I have to brace my left when we're on vacation and staying on the move all day, or it gets beyond unstable. My wife has pictures that would turn stomachs. If I so much as sleep in the wrong position my lower leg will travel.

Everything you see on here does no justice to the actual state of my body. The reality is pretty crazy. Not that I'm complaining. I'm really lucky overall.

Walking slowly (normal people pace) has always bothered my body though. I'm a fast mover and something about it just isn't natural for me and makes things hurt. Could that be playing a role for you with the walking vs. running?

You're almost doing a mini squat and thrust with the golf swing, on top of the walking motion, so you're doing double duty when golfing, and involving the upper body and core more and different ways as well. (y)

:unsure::oops::confused:

Hard pass. When I run, my knees basically sing a really loud and obnoxious song about how many roofs they've done, and how many things are torn and not fixed, and how much they're gone to make me regret what I'm currently doing, that just gets louder and more painful as I go. :LOL:. They have history that refuses to be ignored. Walking is better, but I have to brace my left when we're on vacation and staying on the move all day, or it gets beyond unstable. My wife has pictures that would turn stomachs. If I so much as sleep in the wrong position my lower leg will travel.

Everything you see on here does no justice to the actual state of my body. The reality is pretty crazy. Not that I'm complaining. I'm really lucky overall.

Walking slowly (normal people pace) has always bothered my body though. I'm a fast mover and something about it just isn't natural for me and makes things hurt. Could that be playing a role for you with the walking vs. running?
Sounding all too familiar. I'm making it as far as I can go on original manufacturer parts as they say. I think my warranty is about up. o_O
I can't walk slowly either. Full strides take off a lot of the stress and when I walk faster, the pressure is shorter for each stride.
I used to take my mom around a couple miles before my walk and the pace would just be agonizing for me at her speed, and then I'd go loosen up and un-do what that slow walk just did to my knee. (y)

It's a heavy chest day, so I'ma put on a THP shirt and show the locals that golfers have pecs too! :p

Where's my creatine..

Got in my PT yesterday while watching the Tour Champ. No road work as it was cold and raining.
Made a change to one of my meds to exclude acetaminophen and I think its providing some relief. I think that crud was poisoning me. (n)

I had to take a week off last week and some other crazy stuff has kept me out of the gym these past few weeks. I needed to start back up with a good light weight start to a load phase I am doing. Squats, bench press, snatch grip deadlifts. 365x5x3; 275x4x4; 315x3x6.

I don't wear a smartwatch all that often, so don't track my steps as such unless my phone is in my pocket as it has an app that tracks them, but there is quite a difference between walking and riding for 18 holes

Friday and Saturday we walked a relatively short course and my phone tracked my steps as 15,500 on Friday (but this included walking round an outlet place when we briefly stopped on our journey to the hotel) and 15,000 steps on Saturday
Sunday we played a longer course and it showed 16,300 steps
Monday we played a course with a lot of elevation changes and after walking 3 days we had decided to hire a buggy, and my phone shows I only walked just over 4,700 steps for the entire day
Tuesday we walked round the supermarket getting some shopping in the morning, then played 18 at our home course in the afternoon and I clocked up over 15,800 steps again

Despite the almost 45,000 steps and 5 rounds of golf in 5 days, I don't ache as much as I expected to.....so I guess carrying less weight is actually slightly easier on the body...who would have though it...? :LOL:

Felt really good to get out and hit the road for a few miles tonight. Had horrible nerve pains in my body that were keeping me from being as active.
Felt like a "new" person today, thankfully. Tough few days.

Been falling off a bit the last few weeks. Took a good step forward with a chest and back dumbell workout yesterday. Trying to get back in the groove by continuing today.

All I really want to do is get rid of this beer gut (I dont even drink beer!) and improve my flexibility. I am NOT a morning person and struggle like alot of people with staying on the bandwagon.

Any suggestions?

All I really want to do is get rid of this beer gut (I dont even drink beer!) and improve my flexibility. I am NOT a morning person and struggle like alot of people with staying on the bandwagon.

Any suggestions?
Have you ever tried counting your carbs in your diet? I'm diabetic and needed to do this my whole life. Simple carbs just go right to the gut. Our bodies are excellent sugar to fat converters, especially with the modern day life and cortisol stress response adding inflammation throughout the body.

I'm also not a morning person. Coffee, then consider the rest of the day! :coffee::coffee::coffee::love:
I try to do basic stretches everyday to stay moving and it helps the golf too. Tight hamstrings, calves, and even achilles are things to work on for everyone. Rotational stretches for back. I'm doing shoulder PT. (Lots of towels under armpits which is like golf gloves under armpits, so even that is helping for arm/body connection in the swing!) (y) My hands hurt like hell, but with PT, more flexible than they have ever been as are my poor wrists.

Do something every day if you can. Try to move all the time if you can. I practice my putting when I watch TV for example.

Any suggestions?
Honestly, if you want to improve flexibility, try some beginner yoga. It has helped me out immensely to become more flexible. It has also reduced the number of tension headaches I get, and most importantly, made me feel better in general. Work your way up to more advanced stuff once you feel you are in a good spot.

alright so the busiest time of the year is over, another deadline looms in the near distant time... Does anyone want to do a running challenge? not so much timed or distance, but just a "get off your ass and go" ? I like the feeling of "ohhh boy so and so is getting his / her miles in, so i better too!" strange i know, but im up for it!

Only if I get to count my miles starting back in January... ;) Which count double in MN as the clothing weighs twice as much by then. :ROFLMAO:

Back