2020 Better You Fitness Thread

If my phone repair ever finishes up I'll be heading to the gym for Day 1 of the "Put some lead back in your ass, Honey", plan. Dropped some more weight when I went back to Nebraska. For a guy with degrees in Exercise and Nutritional Science and a lifetime of experience with it, this year is turning out to be a MF'er for keeping some fat on my frame. I have the same strength I did in January according the weight I'm repping, but at 21 lbs less body weight (11-ish%). I don't actually want to know what my current body fat is, but it's below what I would consider healthy for a guy my age with my history. Need to get back out of the danger zone before bad things start happening. I'm here for good now, with a manageable schedule, so no excuses. Time to get it done.

Good hard training tonight. Deadlift was 460x8, which wasn't fun but got through it. Then I did safety squat bar squats, 325 for 4 sets 3. Those felt pretty good. I was so unhappy with my deadlifts that I went back and did 415 deadlifts for 4 sets of 3 reps. Figured some stuff out.

Took 75 minutes to get everything done. I hope I'm recovered for squats on Monday.

Spin class last night. Then 3 mile walk with the wife. Went to lift and stretch this morning. Bend sideways with a kettle bell and hot shooting pain. Found out I have a cracked rib.

I need to get back on it.. I haven't been eating or exercising the way I should the last week or so

I need to get back on it.. I haven't been eating or exercising the way I should the last week or so
You and me both. Lets end 2020 the right way!!

Good squats last night. I set a new 5 rep max, 460x5. I finished up with some beltless deadlfits 435 for 4 sets of 3. My elbow still sucks, it's been way too long with this pain and lack of full range of motion. Golf season is all but over, so it's time to go to the doctor.

I have no idea what has been going on, but I am continuing to see the weight taking those little steps further in the right direction - it will fluctuate around a particular weight, then I will see a slight drop, then it will fluctuate again before the next little drop so I am happy to see it keep going the way it is

Stood on the scales this morning and I am down a total of around 18-19lbs since the beginning of the year

I’m getting back on the Peloton today after taking the summer off from any serious cardio workouts. It will be painful for the first couple of weeks but I have the time and I do have more energy when I work a few days of cardio into my weekly workout routine.

I've started training for nordic skate skiing this winter. I also plan to explore biathlon. We have an amazing nordic ski resort with a newer biathlon training center. Bike trainer will soon come back into play as well, and I will put in some strength training. Assuming the body stays healthy and I stick with my plans, I should be able to start the 2021 golf season with extra spring in my step and pop in my swing. Watch out Bryson! ;)

I need to get into gear these last 3 months of 2020. I fell off during a busy september, but must get a plan together for the 4th quarter!

I have no idea what has been going on, but I am continuing to see the weight taking those little steps further in the right direction - it will fluctuate around a particular weight, then I will see a slight drop, then it will fluctuate again before the next little drop so I am happy to see it keep going the way it is

Stood on the scales this morning and I am down a total of around 18-19lbs since the beginning of the year
I've fluctuated way too much since the beach vacation but recomitted to my diet and exercise plan which was working well before vacation.

I've fluctuated way too much since the beach vacation but recomitted to my diet and exercise plan which was working well before vacation.
When I say fluctuate, it hasn't been a drastic change, but rather my weight will hover around a figure and maybe change 0.5-1lb up and back down for a couple weeks and then it seems to drop a bit further and then repeat the cycle

But as long as it keeps dropping overall rather than going up, I am happy

I was curious to see what would happen once I came back to working in the office after lockdown, as whilst I was working from home I had got into the habit of having some breakfast as I didn't have the hour long drive taking up time in my day, but surprisingly the weight has continued to drop despite not having breakfast any more (and it has been almost 2 months since coming back to the office so I would have expected my body to react before now if it was missing breakfast again)

Guess I will just keep doing whatever it is I seem to be doing :LOL:

Good luck with your exercise plan (y)

When I say fluctuate, it hasn't been a drastic change, but rather my weight will hover around a figure and maybe change 0.5-1lb up and back down for a couple weeks and then it seems to drop a bit further and then repeat the cycle

But as long as it keeps dropping overall rather than going up, I am happy

I was curious to see what would happen once I came back to working in the office after lockdown, as whilst I was working from home I had got into the habit of having some breakfast as I didn't have the hour long drive taking up time in my day, but surprisingly the weight has continued to drop despite not having breakfast any more (and it has been almost 2 months since coming back to the office so I would have expected my body to react before now if it was missing breakfast again)

Guess I will just keep doing whatever it is I seem to be doing :LOL:

Good luck with your exercise plan (y)
Yeah, by my "fluctuation" I meant I have eaten horribly and not exercised as much as I should so it's fluctuating up.. I'll get it back though!

Oof. Been off the rails lately. Very sedentary with keeping watch over mom all day and night. Too much liquid diet.
When she has been feeling OK, I go out for about 3 miles as usual. My left knee is HORRIBLE from injuries and all the bending and lifting and cleaning I do with the eldercare over the years. I had to lift dad when he was dying of brain cancer, and he was still about 210lbs at the time and it destroyed my neck and back. Mom is down to about 70lbs....so yeah....

Been keeping weight ON is always the challenge for me. 196 lbs the other day. Up from 157 lbs and a deathbed in 2018. I'm 6'2". You could see every rib and vertebrae in my back and shoulder blades. Skeleton. It was disgusting and I wanted to die. God has allowed me to be strong to care for mom and others. And I am NOT religious.

I wanted to continue my physical therapy on my hands/wrists/shoulders, and asked BOTH of my PT peeps to call me when things would allow in-person PT again. They have never called back. I hate the medical community. My premiums are so high and I am getting NOTHING in return for them during covid. Even my October "tele-visit" they pushed back 30 days for gawds sakes. This crap has to end. NOW.

I am bumping this because I know I need some motivation. I need serious help. I went 4 months without a working kitchen, did a move during COVID and have been living through this crazy COVID time, and my weight is currently the highest it has ever been.

I put together a home gym, yet can't seem to get myself into it. I also can't get motivated to cook healthy, even though I finally have a kitchen to cook in. I just can't get motivated, so I am hoping that maybe by putting this out there and making myself kind of vulnerable that it will be the kick in the ass I need to finally do something. Of course, as I type this I cringe at the thought of getting out of my PJ's and doing anything but going to sleep right now.

What do you know, my bike was delivered today. Dr. PretendPsychic wanted his and her bikes for our anniversary a few months back and was finally able to get some (thanks covid :cautious:). I have no idea when I was last on a bike, but I’m sure it won’t be pretty.

What do you know, my bike was delivered today. Dr. PretendPsychic wanted his and her bikes for our anniversary a few months back and was finally able to get some (thanks covid :cautious:). I have no idea when I was last on a bike, but I’m sure it won’t be pretty.

I remember many years ago @JB and I bought bikes and we would go riding for miles on a trail in our city. The first couple of times I got on a bike after not riding one since I was a kid was not pretty. We were going through a tunnel and I could not make the turn and I took my foot off the pedal and had it braced on the wall trying not to fall. It was a mess haha. Eventually I got the hang of it, but it wasn't like that old saying, it's just like riding a bike, because I was riding a bike and I forgot how to do it.

Falling off one hurts more now. Or so I've been told!

I am bumping this because I know I need some motivation. I need serious help. I went 4 months without a working kitchen, did a move during COVID and have been living through this crazy COVID time, and my weight is currently the highest it has ever been.

I put together a home gym, yet can't seem to get myself into it. I also can't get motivated to cook healthy, even though I finally have a kitchen to cook in. I just can't get motivated, so I am hoping that maybe by putting this out there and making myself kind of vulnerable that it will be the kick in the ass I need to finally do something. Of course, as I type this I cringe at the thought of getting out of my PJ's and doing anything but going to sleep right now.
The hardest part is getting back into the routine but feels good when you do. After the beach vacation it took a few weeks before I got back to my routine and felt much better once I did. You've got this Morgan!!

THis year has been really tough for me fitness wise as well. It started off great. I took up running, to add to hiking and mountain biking, scored a used weight set for a steal. All signs pointed to continued progress towards better fitness. Then the double whammy, Covid and the hottest summer on record in PHX. It's still over 100 here everyday. that really killed my ability to get back out on the trails. Out of shape and not heat acclimated is a very bad combination.

I completely understand the mindset you find yourself. Because I'm stuck in it too. I planned to go for a short run this morning...I did not. 😞

We finally have morning temps below 90 and occasionally in the upper 70s. I no longer have any excuse. Time to get out and regain some fitness.

This app may or may not help if you're motivated. My chains are unbroken, but it's a string of no X's:

Alright everyone, let's kick it into gear for the remainder of the year!! My goals for test of 2020 are:

- get back into daily yoga. It was so beneficial to the way I felt, I need to get back into it
- weight training 4 times per week
- get back to eating healthier, especially during snack time
- get out and walk on nice days

I'll be checking like i used to. So let's all get going!!

Alright everyone, let's kick it into gear for the remainder of the year!! My goals for test of 2020 are:

- get back into daily yoga. It was so beneficial to the way I felt, I need to get back into it
- weight training 4 times per week
- get back to eating healthier, especially during snack time
- get out and walk on nice days

I'll be checking like i used to. So let's all get going!!

My Goals:
- Minimum of 3 days at the gym (work my way back to 5 days)
- Create weekly menu of healthy meals
- Food prep healthy meals
- Fit in my pants again <-- ultimate goal

My Goals:
- Minimum of 3 days at the gym (work my way back to 5 days)
- Create weekly menu of healthy meals
- Food prep healthy meals
- Fit in my pants again <-- ultimate goal
Creating a weekly menu, with quick easy meals helps us stay on track during the week. Easy is the key, so that we dont get overwhelmed and resort to take out.

Creating a weekly menu, with quick easy meals helps us stay on track during the week. Easy is the key, so that we dont get overwhelmed and resort to take out.

Part of the issue is that I would only be cooking for me, JB has no interest in eating healthy. It was easier when he traveled a lot because I would just cook for me and only have me to worry about, but since he is home a lot now I always want to do what makes him happy, and that's not going to be a vegetable or healthier meal. Not to put the blame on him because I am a big girl who can just tell him to fend for himself (and he would be completely fine with that), but I like to cook meals we can both eat, unfortunately, that makes it more challenging for me to eat what I want.

Back