What’s New: 2020 Callaway Chrome Soft Hits Retail

Good article.

Does Callaway have plans to up their website on golf ball fitting? This way you can truly get fit for the best ball to your numbers. Yes, you can put basic information to get a ball selection, but not much detail.

I mainly used the ERC last year, but like the CS with the TT treatment.

Will be looking forward to feedback on the csx. A noticible change would be welcome.

Is CS direct competitor to ProV1? I had a ball fitting and want to compare the Callaway ball that is closest to what i was fitted.
Different ball with some different characteristics but I suppose if we paint in very broad strokes, yes it’s the competitor for the ProV1.

Great write up @Jman. Looks like they have put the ProV in their crosshairs and made the requisite investment in their product to do it. I like the sound of what they have done on the manufacturing side. We'll see what that higher price means to the big box store consumer though.

The fact that Triple Track will now be on the regular Chrome Soft has me very happy that I held back and did not stock up on golf balls during end of year sales. There is little doubt this will be my gamer for 2020.

Whoa, looks like they have a lot going on at Callaway in the ball department. Hopefully some of the reviews on here will simplify the info for us

You've got 13 guys from #TheGrandaddy that span different handicaps and abilities, odds are one of them, or the many THPers that will test these out, will give you the data you need. That being said, if you have a specific question, tag one of us and we'll try our best to get the answers you need.

Another great article, James.

I wonder what "up to 7 yards further with higher swing speeds" means. How fast does one have to be able to move the driver to see this distance gain, other factors being optimal. 7 yards is significant.

I also wonder how the 2 balls will compare out on the course. CS is longer through the bag, but CSX if longer off the driver, but more consistent on other shots. Does that mean the spin is more consistent with the CSX? Does it mean launch is more consistent, but perhaps less ball speed with irons? I am not sure what to make of it.

For one this is going to be a release that you'll need to test out. I'll have to look through my notes and see if a specific speed was determined, but think a swing speed in the upper 90's would be enough to tell differences between the two. If you are trying to get a mental baseline between the two the new CS will get a boost in distance, launch higher and have a little more spin when compared to the previous CS....The new CSX is a new ball. the Grandaddy guys didn't get to test, but based off the notes, the CSX will be firmer than the previous CSX. I think this will be the ball for the player who likes to work the ball or who has a straight ball flight and the extra spin won't accentuate the draw or fade ball flight. This ball will not sacrifice distance off the tee and will spin more throughout the bag. Hopefully this helps at least begin to put these into the right frame of mind for you.

The new CSX is a new ball. the Grandaddy guys didn't get to test, but based off the notes, the CSX will be firmer than the previous CSX.

It’s not the same as the 2019 CSX? Wasn’t the 2019 CSX with TT different than the 2018 2018?

Solid article and breakdown of the key points.

One thing that stood out to us (and has been with all OEM's THP interacts with) is the transparency with which @JasonFinleyCG addressed the "cutting" issues and the QC that was already in place. Many think that the internet pitchforks forced Callaway's hand to fix the issue, and that's not the case. Could they have gotten ahead of it, maybe, but the story here is they were already planning to update a very old facility in Chicopee.

This is the part that is kind of frustrating as a consumer. So they knew they had plant issues prior to $50 million investment, and knowingly sold an inferior product from a quality-control perspective at $45 a dozen this whole time?

Also smart on them to price at $48 now, they will make that $50 million investment back very quickly.

Different ball with some different characteristics but I suppose if we paint in very broad strokes, yes it’s the competitor for the ProV1.
Came here to say this. Very hard to compare CS to other main line tour balls. Try it!

Will THP reviewers have a chance to test both models using Foresight? Would be interesting to see how performance differs between the two models at driver, 7i and wedge

Another great article, James.

I wonder what "up to 7 yards further with higher swing speeds" means. How fast does one have to be able to move the driver to see this distance gain, other factors being optimal. 7 yards is significant.

I also wonder how the 2 balls will compare out on the course. CS is longer through the bag, but CSX if longer off the driver, but more consistent on other shots. Does that mean the spin is more consistent with the CSX? Does it mean launch is more consistent, but perhaps less ball speed with irons? I am not sure what to make of it.
You've got 13 guys from #TheGrandaddy that span different handicaps and abilities, odds are one of them, or the many THPers that will test these out, will give you the data you need. That being said, if you have a specific question, tag one of us and we'll try our best to get the answers you need.

For one this is going to be a release that you'll need to test out. I'll have to look through my notes and see if a specific speed was determined, but think a swing speed in the upper 90's would be enough to tell differences between the two. If you are trying to get a mental baseline between the two the new CS will get a boost in distance, launch higher and have a little more spin when compared to the previous CS....The new CSX is a new ball. the Grandaddy guys didn't get to test, but based off the notes, the CSX will be firmer than the previous CSX. I think this will be the ball for the player who likes to work the ball or who has a straight ball flight and the extra spin won't accentuate the draw or fade ball flight. This ball will not sacrifice distance off the tee and will spin more throughout the bag. Hopefully this helps at least begin to put these into the right frame of mind for you.
Callaway states the 7 yards was at high SS in the 120 range. Fwiw.

Will THP reviewers have a chance to test both models using Foresight? Would be interesting to see how performance differs between the two models at driver, 7i and wedge
I will even if I have to go out and buy them. I’m a golf ball ho. Haha

So...we were told that the TT version of the chrome soft X last year was different than the regular chrome soft X. How close was it to this new version, or is it the same as what this new version now is? I really liked how the TT version played.

This is the part that is kind of frustrating as a consumer. So they knew they had plant issues prior to $50 million investment, and knowingly sold an inferior product from a quality-control perspective at $45 a dozen this whole time?

Also smart on them to price at $48 now, they will make that $50 million investment back very quickly.

I didn't say they knew they had a defective product. Again I am not defending and will never defend blatant actions just to get consumer dollars.

As we were told it was an old facility and they were doing all the could to maintain quality control given what they were working with. Upgrades to the facility were already in the works prior to #BallGate being preached as gospel on the internet. Did some slip through the cracks? Yes they did, but not at the rate that the internet led you to believe. In the end it's up to you what to believe, but we got the information directly from the source so I will believe them over some internet hack looking for clicks.

It’s not the same as the 2019 CSX? Wasn’t the 2019 CSX with TT different than the 2018 2018?

Not the same ball. A different ball under the hood and how it performs.

Welp I won't be getting 7 yards hahah
maybe not, but I would argue you would see some benefits with spin and launch if the CS is spinning too low or launching too high.

yes, the late release csxtt was a different ball than the early release csx (without tt). but this 2020 csx is an entirely different ball.

Not the same ball. A different ball under the hood and how it performs.

maybe not, but I would argue you would see some benefits with spin and launch if the CS is spinning too low or launching too high.

Oh I will definitely be trying it.

These sound right up my alley. I’m glad to read there is more differentiation. I didn’t feel a ton of difference until the CSX TT last year.

Oh I will definitely be trying it.

same for me. The last CSX wasn't the ball that should have fit me, but I loved how it launched, played in the wind and spun into the greens.

Is there Graphene in the CSx also?

Also when can we expect the new manufacturing improvements to take place?
Are they into effect for the balls dropping in March or will it be down the road once everything is online?

Back