What’s New: 2020 Callaway Chrome Soft Hits Retail

@DataDude what you described from feeling in the old vs new is exactly what I felt. I might be on the minority in that I kind of liked the feeling of the older version, but it's something that I would not miss.

The CSX is such an awesome ball. My brain cannot comprehend how I can hit such penetrating shots off the tee and high, soft-landing shots with my irons. With time, I'm sure I can adjust to the feel around and on the greens.

@DataDude that was a great write-up! I complained a lot about the cs18 not launching or spinning high enough for me. eventually I moved to the erc soft because although it was lower spinning, it had a higher launch and I picked up the distance I wanted/needed.

cs20 definitely seemed to launch higher for me, which is a good thing. and while I too saw an improvement in greenside spin, the csx20 is really standing out to our team as an incredible ball. if you like the cs20, i'd give csx20 a try.

@DataDude that was a great write-up! I complained a lot about the cs18 not launching or spinning high enough for me. eventually I moved to the erc soft because although it was lower spinning, it had a higher launch and I picked up the distance I wanted/needed.

cs20 definitely seemed to launch higher for me, which is a good thing. and while I too saw an improvement in greenside spin, the csx20 is really standing out to our team as an incredible ball. if you like the cs20, i'd give csx20 a try.
I may have too. The CSX prior felt too clicky for me. It honestly felt almost exactly the same as a -ProV1X which I don't really like either. Kind of hard and clicks. I think I really like the regular Chrome Soft 2020 though. It was a very interesting feel.

I only saw lower launch off the driver in prior CS generations. Irons, hybrid, and wedges seemed to be pretty decent. I do like what I’m seeing with the 2020 CS off every club with a significantly higher ball flight without ballooning. Off recommendations here, I might have to try the CSX’s.

Played all weekend with Chrome Soft X.

Love it. Triple track is the absolute truth. Hit some really nice iron shots with it, but mostly love it around the green. I was getting up and down with alarming regularity.

As good as this ball is (and it is very good) are there any pros (men, women or seniors) playing this ball that aren’t on Callaway’s Staff?

I'm still hoping to get the Chrome Soft out on the course this week, I've really liked it in the short game practice I've put in with it, now I really need to get some full shots in. Unfortunately I've got contractors working on some water damage in my house all week, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to get away.

Supposed to be playing this weekend with a few out of town buddies, the 2020 will be in play. Really curious mostly about that durability and if that was a one time thing or if that cover is a bit too thin.

Supposed to be playing this weekend with a few out of town buddies, the 2020 will be in play. Really curious mostly about that durability and if that was a one time thing or if that cover is a bit too thin.
Only thing I have noticed so far on the CSX was I had a ball Sunday that had some yellowing to it in one spot. It only had 12 holes played and no trees or cart paths where hit.

Picked up a dozen of the white/red Truvis Chromesoft today so might put them in to play on Thursday for my round, but will likely wait until Friday when I am playing my home course so that I can gauge any differences in performance

I continue to be super impressed by the CSX. Had a round on Saturday with my most birdies ever and almost all of them were because of iron shots that stopped close to the hole instead of rolling out like I would usually expect at my course. It's really nice to be able to be a little more aggressive rather than playing to the front of greens and hoping to get lucky.

A couple of follow up notes as I played today with a Chrome Soft and a 2020 AVX to compare the 2.

Spin: Over 18 holes I can definitely say the 2020 Chrome Soft is higher spinning than the 2020 AVX. I saw better grab on our freshly rolled greens this morning with the Chrome Soft.

Feel: Again Chrome Soft has a feel that I can only describe as soft, but heavy. It feels really good. I love the feel. Comparing 2020 to prior Chrome Softs is like comparing a 1 piece forged iron feel to a cast super game improvement feel. Compared to AVX the slightly heavier feel was the winner. The AVX just feels soft.

Performance between these 2 I could not tell much difference aside from greenside spin. The Chrome Soft may have launched higher, but hard to tell outside. The new AVX has also picked up launch so I think either of these balls would be noticeably higher launching verses their prior.

Two dozen Chrome Soft TT arriving Friday. Would not have considered them if it hadn't been for THP sending me a half dozen to try and review!

I played these last night again for 9 holes before league. I like the spin around the green as you can really throw chips at the pin and get the ball to stop. Still having issues with the clickiness off the putter.

I really want those won CSX's to show up. I needed balls when I got the course today and the only thing they had besides erc soft was last years chromesoft. I know I'm not a fan of it, so I didn't buy any, but mostly because I don't want to taint my mind with bad chromesoft stuff before getting to test more than just a sleeve of the new ones. Need them to get here!!

I really want those won CSX's to show up. I needed balls when I got the course today and the only thing they had besides erc soft was last years chromesoft. I know I'm not a fan of it, so I didn't buy any, but mostly because I don't want to taint my mind with bad chromesoft stuff before getting to test more than just a sleeve of the new ones. Need them to get here!!
Same boat here! But they seem to be worth the wait based on reading everything in this thread!

We do too and the minute they arrive we will be shipping them.

We do too and the minute they arrive we will be shipping them.

I know you will. I'm just eager/excited to do some real testing on a product I historically don't/haven't used. There's less total data already that could muck it up. Today would have been a really fun day to ball test on distance, flights, and spin. Wet course with real heavy air. Would have tried to launch or zip a couple.

chrome soft x is NUTS. super driver distance. super iron distance. super spin around the greens. so impressive.

So I got the Chrome Softs out on the course for the first time yesterday, played 18 at one of my regular courses, played one ball through the first 11 holes, where I lost it in the rough ...... little side rant here ..... on a hole where the whole fairway slopes left-to-right, and anything that lands middle or right of middle of the fairway will roll into the right rough, why would the right rough be the deepest on the course, and I mean at least 4" rough? I know that ball only rolled a few feet into the rough, damn thing landed dead center, but did have a little fade on it, we looked and looked but never found it. I was able to finish the rest of the round with the second ball.

Okay, back to the review:

Length - I normally play the Q-Star Tour, and occasionaly hit one side-by-side with the CS during the round for comparison, and the QST was consistently just a bit longer than the CS. Not enough to make a real difference, but just enough to be noticeable. I found this to be the case with both driver and irons, and the ball flight wasn't an issue, as launch, height, and descent were right in line with the QST.

Feel - The CS is a great feeling ball! It kind of hits that sweet spot, not to firm, and not too soft. Driver, irons, wedges, putter, felt good off all of them.

Spin - This is one area where the CS out performed the QST. Spin on full shots with short irons and wedges was really pretty similar to the QST, but on partial shots and chips the CS really checked up more. It will take some getting used to, I hit a lot of bump-and-runs around the greens, and the CS really checked more on that first hop, and rolled out less than I'm used to. That's not a bad thing, but had me leaving a few chips short yesterday.

Durability - Both balls I used looked great, and I was checking after every couple of holes. Definitely no issue at all.

Here's a pic from yesterday, short par-3, playing about 115 yds, hit an easy 50* wedge to here.

Hills 01_8-12-20.jpg

So I got the Chrome Softs out on the course for the first time yesterday, played 18 at one of my regular courses, played one ball through the first 11 holes, where I lost it in the rough ...... little side rant here ..... on a hole where the whole fairway slopes left-to-right, and anything that lands middle or right of middle of the fairway will roll into the right rough, why would the right rough be the deepest on the course, and I mean at least 4" rough? I know that ball only rolled a few feet into the rough, damn thing landed dead center, but did have a little fade on it, we looked and looked but never found it. I was able to finish the rest of the round with the second ball.

Okay, back to the review:

Length - I normally play the Q-Star Tour, and occasionaly hit one side-by-side with the CS during the round for comparison, and the QST was consistently just a bit longer than the CS. Not enough to make a real difference, but just enough to be noticeable. I found this to be the case with both driver and irons, and the ball flight wasn't an issue, as launch, height, and descent were right in line with the QST.

Feel - The CS is a great feeling ball! It kind of hits that sweet spot, not to firm, and not too soft. Driver, irons, wedges, putter, felt good off all of them.

Spin - This is one area where the CS out performed the QST. Spin on full shots with short irons and wedges was really pretty similar to the QST, but on partial shots and chips the CS really checked up more. It will take some getting used to, I hit a lot of bump-and-runs around the greens, and the CS really checked more on that first hop, and rolled out less than I'm used to. That's not a bad thing, but had me leaving a few chips short yesterday.

Durability - Both balls I used looked great, and I was checking after every couple of holes. Definitely no issue at all.

Here's a pic from yesterday, short par-3, playing about 115 yds, hit an easy 50* wedge to here.

View attachment 8957700

Great review. I have some CS laying around, I may need to test these out again and see if I can't get more spin into and around the greens.

So after playing another option that I'll admit does work well for me, I can definitely say that I do miss the TT alignment on the CS. I don't use it every putt but it's so much easier (and less messy) than using a single line on the ball. Quicker for me to get set up on the green and less chance of me second guessing my setup once I'm over the ball.

So after playing another option that I'll admit does work well for me, I can definitely say that I do miss the TT alignment on the CS. I don't use it every putt but it's so much easier (and less messy) than using a single line on the ball. Quicker for me to get set up on the green and less chance of me second guessing my setup once I'm over the ball.
I knew I forgot something in my latest review update, Triple Track. As I've said before, I do not use a line or alignment aid on the ball for putting, but have thought that TT would work if I had it. Well I was right, I can make TT work for me, I just find it hard to take the extra time to line the ball up properly. Maybe if I played more competitive golf, but for the casual golf I normally play I just feel like its one more thing to negatively impact pace of play.

I knew I forgot something in my latest review update, Triple Track. As I've said before, I do not use a line or alignment aid on the ball for putting, but have thought that TT would work if I had it. Well I was right, I can make TT work for me, I just find it hard to take the extra time to line the ball up properly. Maybe if I played more competitive golf, but for the casual golf I normally play I just feel like its one more thing to negatively impact pace of play.
That's me too. Just too much going on to set up and align a ball for every putt.

Back