What’s New: 2020 Callaway Chrome Soft Hits Retail

I almost want to grab a box for today's round.

I have a small amount of experience with the Tour B XS which I tried thinking I could really use any spin I could get. I actually found it was spinning shots backwards or sideways on full wedge shots or even full 9-iron/PW shots occasionally. Just unheard of for my game and in truth I didn't really like it. So after a few rounds I moved on.

The Chrome Soft X has been my every-round ball for several months now and I like it. But the last few rounds I've had a handful of spin-back shots from, say, 80-90-100 yards when I go ahead and hit a full wedge instead of taking an extra club and swinging 3/4. Several feet of spin-back a couple times. Not quite Tour B XS crazy 9-iron spin but still more than I'm used to.

I don't think it disqualifies the Chrome Soft X for me, I still find the overall performance very good. But it's the only ball in recent years other than Tour B XS that does anything other than roll forward or stop where it lands. The spin-back thing weirds me out even if it's just once every few rounds.

Playing tomorrow, the ponder is high between TT CSX or TT CS. I can pro and con both choices to death, I just don’t know if I want further or better approach shot control 🤷🏻‍♂️

Playing tomorrow, the ponder is high between TT CSX or TT CS. I can pro and con both choices to death, I just don’t know if I want further or better approach shot control 🤷🏻‍♂️

I vote CSX. In a landslide.

Guess that was an easy decision haha. CSX it is!

Why didn't you share this information with me? 🤔
This hurts my feelings! 🤣🤣🤣
Did you miss 2020? Only ball I played for that year. :LOL: Right now I am on some ball testing but the CS is a great ball.

Did you miss 2020? Only ball I played for that year. :LOL: Right now I am on some ball testing but the CS is a great ball.

Actually I transitioned from Srixon q star tour into
Prov1x ......SQT didn't spin enough around greens .....finding CS to give softness desired but no loss of distance or greenside spin.....

Played the Steph Curry Chrome Soft Truvis today. Great off the driver and on approach shots. Really feels good off the Chicago putter.
Only downfall with the light yellow on the eat ball is seeing it in the deep fescue around the green. The ball just doesn't track as good as a yellow black travis ball.

Curiosity got the best of me this afternoon. So took the Chrome Soft Steph Curry Truvis ball and cut it open to see. The core looks nice and centered.
292C2379-9D23-4946-80AE-E8038993009D.jpeg
443BA5F9-7937-4BEF-8878-F6C0043D16CE.jpeg

Curiosity got the best of me this afternoon. So took the Chrome Soft Steph Curry Truvis ball and cut it open to see. The core looks nice and centered.
View attachment 9027031
View attachment 9027032

Screenshot_20210911-191510_Chrome.jpg

I think this is really cool. I also wonder what tolerance defines centered or not. The only people really testing, who kind of caught them napping back when, use 'significant concentricity issues' as their criteria. Whatever that means. And have said they haven't found the old issues with any of the new stuff.

It seems pretty easy to tell which side of each though. I added super dramatic drawings to it to show. :p

Looks pretty good. Speckled. I like that.

*NOT dogging them, just talking. My last truck bed was noticably tilted, but 'within tolerances'. And as someone whose work needs be pretty precise, I'm always curious what those tolerances are in things.

View attachment 9027038

I think this is really cool. I also wonder what tolerance defines centered or not. The only people really testing, who kind of caught them napping back when, use 'significant concentricity issues' as their criteria. Whatever that means. And have said they haven't found the old issues with any of the new stuff.

It seems pretty easy to tell which side of each though. I added super dramatic drawings to it to show. :p

Looks pretty good. Speckled. I like that.

*NOT dogging them, just talking. My last truck bed was noticably tilted, but 'within tolerances'. And as someone whose work needs be pretty precise, I'm always curious what those tolerances are in things.
No idea as to tolerances. I don't think/feel like performance was effected at all today. I used that ball for 18 holes. Cover durability is great for me being a slower swinger and sweeper.

No idea as to tolerances. I don't think/feel like performance was effected at all today. I used that ball for 18 holes. Cover durability is great for me being a slower swinger and sweeper.
Yeah I can't imagine it would be enough to affect anything.

I'm playing CSX in the morning with the wife and a friend. Convinced him to try it after a while and he loved it today. He had been playing the LS since it came out and I didn't think it was quite the right fit for him with how he's swinging now. Going to be hard and fast so should be a good test.

Last edited:
Well. I’m making the move to the CSX. :oops:

That’s interesting, what made that change from what I thought was the BX line?
I adore the XS, and the whole B lineup, but the more I test, the more I see the CSX offers the same greenside spin as my XS, but it’s a noticeable amount longer.

I adore the XS, and the whole B lineup, but the more I test, the more I see the CSX offers the same greenside spin as my XS, but it’s a noticeable amount longer.

This sounds familiar, and similar to what I’ve noticed as well. The CS isn’t a slouch around the greens by any means either!

Played with the CS yesterday since our tee time started when it was still very low 40s. Pleasantly surprised with the performance. It's still not my ball of choice but I love having reliable options to fall back on once the weather starts getting colder

This sounds familiar, and similar to what I’ve noticed as well. The CS isn’t a slouch around the greens by any means either!
The CSX remains the longest golf ball I’ve tested. It’s wild.

It's such a good ball. It and the Snell MTB-X are the longest for me. Very similar characteristics as well.

It's such a good ball. It and the Snell MTB-X are the longest for me. Very similar characteristics as well.
I was hoping for this comment. Looking to test balls like the MTB-X because it's been a great ball for me distance wise, but wanted to give Callaway a try. Been between the CS and CSX, but after reading these last few pages, leaning hard to the CSX.

@Jman have you by chance tested it against the Z Star XV? I've found the 2 balls to be very similar. So wondering what your experiences were as well.

Back