What’s New: 2020 Callaway Chrome Soft Hits Retail

I am now having second thoughts regarding my bulk purchase of Bridgestone B RX balls. I got in another round with the Chrome Soft Triple Track. I am not sure that I am sold on Triple Track. I am finding myself maybe too fixated on the three lines and lose my focus on touch and may even be over releasing the putter to try to stay on line with the Triple Track. However, the Chrome Soft is an outstanding ball for my game. It is really long off the driver for me. It checks well, feels good. If I can make the Triple Track work for my putting, this ball would truly have my attention.

I’m enjoying playing the CS20. I think it has some similar characteristics to the AVX ball which is what I had been playing up until late last year.

I’m seeing an uptick in spin around the greens but still plenty of distance on the woods and mid-long irons.:)

I am now having second thoughts regarding my bulk purchase of Bridgestone B RX balls. I got in another round with the Chrome Soft Triple Track. I am not sure that I am sold on Triple Track. I am finding myself maybe too fixated on the three lines and lose my focus on touch and may even be over releasing the putter to try to stay on line with the Triple Track. However, the Chrome Soft is an outstanding ball for my game. It is really long off the driver for me. It checks well, feels good. If I can make the Triple Track work for my putting, this ball would truly have my attention.
Give it some time and it will grow on you. If not you still have a great ball that performs well for you.

man, this 2020 chrome soft ball is freaking legit. iron distances are much better for me than the 18cs. spin into greens is fantastic. driver distance excellent. I still think it's firmer around the greens than the 18cs (I prefer the feel of the 18cs around the greens), but it still spins just as well if not better. and triple track ftmfw.

i'm really close to saying this will be my gamer ball for 2020. I love it.

Been playing both the Yellow TT and the Truvis Yellow/Black ball the last few rounds.
I had a 30 yard shot to a par 3 today where I missed the green and was down the hill. I had plenty of green to work with and clipped the ball cleanly and was on line for the flagstick. I head the guys yell to keep backing up. When I got to the green, the ball was about 5 foot past the pin so wasn't sure what they where yelling about. They told me it had landed another 6 feet past where it was and spun back towards the hole.
They said it was really neat to see it spinning so much and then just stop and check and spin back.

The other thing today was I tagged a tree dead on and hard and the ball barely had a mark on it. I washed it at the next hole and couldn't feel the mark where it hit the tree. The durability seems much better on this iteration.

The CS TT is an awesome ball in every regard. Plenty long off the tee vs Pro V1 with driver. Stable flight in wind. Plenty of spin off the long irons. With 8i thru LW, the CS hits the green and stops dead. pitches and chips aren’t jumpy like some soft balls. Rather the CS comes off predictably. I’m getting great check on sand shots and pitches. I’m playing more shots at the flag since the ball gives me more confidence to play this way. It took a bit to get distance control dialled in with the putter because the CS is softer than Pro V1. I think my calibration with putter is good now. Can’t wait for summer to see what this ball will do!

The CS TT is an awesome ball in every regard. Plenty long off the tee vs Pro V1 with driver. Stable flight in wind. Plenty of spin off the long irons. With 8i thru LW, the CS hits the green and stops dead. pitches and chips aren’t jumpy like some soft balls. Rather the CS comes off predictably. I’m getting great check on sand shots and pitches. I’m playing more shots at the flag since the ball gives me more confidence to play this way. It took a bit to get distance control dialled in with the putter because the CS is softer than Pro V1. I think my calibration with putter is good now. Can’t wait for summer to see what this ball will do!
Good feedback! Chrome Soft is such a fun ball around the green.

I thought the Pro V1 and 2020 B XS were good around the green, the 2020 CS is equal to or better than those balls in my experience. The Triple Track helps my alignment off the tee and when putting. And if he TT looks too busy or distracting, I just flip to the unlined side of the ball. My scores with the clubs in my signature have all been 85 or less playing from 6500-6600 yards which this time of year is probably closer to 6700-6800 yards due to the lack of roll.

I picked up a sleeve at the course yesterday before playing. The previous two days it was so wet with all the rain we've had over the last 10 days or more (it rained at some time every day and sometimes it was a downpour) that it was CPO and just about everywhere you walked it was "squishy" with water coming up around the soles of your shoes. So yesterday it was still pretty darn soft out there and with the Bermuda grass starting to grow and unable to be mowed conditions were not the best to judge driver distance. That is just to "set the stage".

I only played the ball on a few holes but hit two of the longest drives I have hit since last summer with its high temps and dry conditions. This ball is really long for me off the tee. I wasn't sold with it off the irons but that was until my last approach of the day. Down breeze (steady 8mph) to a slightly uphill green, I had the kind of distance that I have always felt I should be hitting my AW. I hit it and the ball flew much farther than I have typically been hitting that club, it landed about 3" short and slightly left of the cup and finished 2" left. I'm not known for backing balls up on approach shots but this was literally "drop and stop" even down breeze!

I find it longer than the ERC Soft I've been playing, a little lower launch off the driver, but comparable height off the irons. It feels firmer, more "solid" if that makes sense, than either the ERC or previous CS. I didn't really do any chipping around the green with it to gauge how it would perform for me. It is definitely my choice of balls going forward.

I was able to get out for a round and I played the 2020 Chrome Soft for the whole round. Last season I was playing the CSX with triple track and became a believer in TT. Recognizing that I could use less spin off the tee to keep the driver in control, I decided to try the regular with triple track. Off the tee, I would have to conclude that it was indeed lower spin for me, as I was able to keep my ball in play rather easily, with good distance. On approach shots, I was getting my ball to stop quickly. Around the green, spin was sufficient. Conditions from the rough made it difficult to really get much spin on the ball.

One great aspect was the durability of the cover. Several shots into cart paths and tree trunks didn't leave much of a scuff on the ball.

I fell in love with triple track last season and this years version is just as good. It makes alignment very easy, and you get immediate feedback on your putting stroke. I noticed I was striking the ball with a bit of an open face thanks to the triple track lines getting all wobbly.

I am hoping that I can find an opportunity to buy in bulk with some savings, as the price tag is a bit of a punch to the gut.

Looking forward to giving these a try once this virus stuff calms down. I ordered directly from Callaway on 3/18 and the order is still processing. I know everyone is doing the best that they can at this time but just mentioning it because this is the #1 ball I want to try for 2020. It is really going to come down to the current yellow Bridgestone RX versus new yellow CS with TT

After playing another round with the 2020 CS I need to revise one of my comments. I initially thought it to be lower launching than the ERC Soft. I'm not sure that is the case. Of course, it could be just the result of the way I am swinging the driver, too. I am getting great distance with little to no wind, as well as down wind/breeze and if I strike the ball solidly it performs pretty darn good into the wind. I find it not as forgiving into the wind on some off center strikes, though. Really thinking seriously of going -1/D on the adapter.

I’ve got a bunch rounds with the 2020 CS TT ball under my belt. My scores have been at or below my normal score. This ball flies straight, mid to mid-high and offers plenty of distance at my CHS. I really like how well the ball spins from 8i down. The greens are soft however the CS stops great! My chips and pitches are checking up better than when I played Pro V1, Pro V1x, B XS and TP5. The only balls that seem to respond with as much short game spin are the Mizuno RB Tour balls butI prefer the softness of the CS. Your ability has been excellent. That said I haven’t introduced them to cart paths to this point. Clanked a few trees and they held up extremely well.

Played the Truvis Black/Yellow today. Love watching the ball spin into green. Not much wind today so it is nice to see the distances are consistent off the irons.

I have a tee time booked for Sunday and I think I should throw my last new Chrome Soft in play. It's going to be breezy so I'll definitely test the performance in that category.

It kills me that I still haven't tried these. I'm not sure there's a single place I could even buy them right now if I wanted to.

Is there a buy 3 get 1 promo for these like other OEMs do?

The 2020 CS did all that I needed to do today. It felt great off the tee, off my irons spin appears to be better than the previous version and with wedges I’m seeing less roll out.

while my putting today was not where I’d like it to be, there is a nice feel off the putter. Not harsh or clicky at all.

It kills me that I still haven't tried these. I'm not sure there's a single place I could even buy them right now if I wanted to.

I can help you with that. Check your PM’s

I cancelled my order that I had placed with Callaway direct. I ordered on 3/18 and I was told today by customer service that they were back ordered until May 5. I understand the times and just thought that I would mention it (my order was CS yellow with TT).

I was able to find an Amazon distributor last week and got a notice that they delivered today. I have been anticipating the new CS for quite some time and am super excited to give them a try versus my two other current favorites. I will be sure to post back once I get them out for a round.

Last edited:
I'm with you....I need to try them but the billion prior gen CS I have a barking at me. :D

I’ve got plenty for try and nowhere to try them. Ugh

Well I only played one hole with my last Chrome Soft before feeding it to the water God's. Looks like I need to pick up a dozen now because Triple Track is the SH!T!!

Back