GolfLivesMatter

Reaction score
Handicap
I see the numerous showings of the new mid-engine Corvette, but not a single full-blown road test. Further, it appears no road test evaluations are allowed by the major magazines until October 16th. Is seems weird for a car that has completely changed. Anyway, here's a video on the new Vette on a racetrack by Road & Track whereby the driver can only talk about the "sound".

A lot of cars go through the same thing actually. Like when Porsche tested a new model around the Nürburgring but wouldn't release the time. It's all a tactic against competitors.

A lot of cars go through the same thing actually. Like when Porsche tested a new model around the Nürburgring but wouldn't release the time. It's all a tactic against competitors.
You're probably right, but what competitor is there for a $70k Supercar?

I'm not a vette guy, but the C7 and the C8 really tickle my fancy.

the new GT500 I guess. Their competitor will always be Ford.
Maybe, but I don't see those two cars as competitors. The Mustang is still the same design, and not in the same league as the Lambo-looking Vette.

shame they aren't making a corvette anymore.

the new GT500 I guess. Their competitor will always be Ford.
Maybe, but I don't see those two cars as competitors. The Mustang is still the same design, and not in the same league as the Lambo-looking Vette.

I agree with GLM. The GT would be more the style of the Corvette now, but then price point makes it not even close.

Last edited:

760hp starting at $70k doesn't compete for the same market share as this?

Last edited:
I agree with GLM. The GT would be more the style of the Corvette now, but then price point makes it not even close.

Price drives the competition in the car market. People buying exotic super cars aren't all of a sudden going to buy a $58k vette because it now looks similar. Whether they like it or not, the competition to this vette are the higher end American muscle/sports cars. It's not on the same level or market that the Ford GT is.

Price drives the competition in the car market. People buying exotic super cars aren't all of a sudden going to buy a $58k vette because it now looks similar. Whether they like it or not, the competition to this vette are the higher end American muscle/sports cars. It's not on the same level or market that the Ford GT is.

I hear ya. I supposed those paying exorbitant prices for cars that'll see plenty of taillight from the 'vette feel much like those with $40-50k "muscle cars" do when they see the taillights of my $10k 20 year old Cobra.

You're probably right, but what competitor is there for a $70k Supercar?

So here is my problem with the car industry. So they are saying it is a $70K Supercar, and forgive me if I'm wrong on this, but is it really a $70k supercar? So you go out to the Chevy dealership and say: "I want the new Corvette". You walk up to the line of Corvette's they have on the lot and the first one you see has a sticker price of $70k...You open the door and it is outfitted with the bare minimum. Now you move on to the next one and you now have a bit more options but you are now looking at $80k. You eventually get to the model you want with all the options or in some case "modest" options but you are now looking at $100k+. But hey, this was supposed to be the $70K supercar.

Like I said this may not be the case with the Corvette as it is a car that I have only looked at the pictures and never looked at the price. Your comment just reminded me of how much this situation bugs me and I guess I just needed to vent about it.

So here is my problem with the car industry. So they are saying it is a $70K Supercar, and forgive me if I'm wrong on this, but is it really a $70k supercar? So you go out to the Chevy dealership and say: "I want the new Corvette". You walk up to the line of Corvette's they have on the lot and the first one you see has a sticker price of $70k...You open the door and it is outfitted with the bare minimum. Now you move on to the next one and you now have a bit more options but you are now looking at $80k. You eventually get to the model you want with all the options or in some case "modest" options but you are now looking at $100k+. But hey, this was supposed to be the $70K supercar.

Like I said this may not be the case with the Corvette as it is a car that I have only looked at the pictures and never looked at the price. Your comment just reminded me of how much this situation bugs me and I guess I just needed to vent about it.
"It shouldn't be hard to option a C8 well past the $80,000 mark. For example, 3LT with the Z51 package, Magnetic Ride, the front-axle lift costs $80,335" - Road & Track. However, $80k will buy a sub 3 second 0-60 car that can hit 194 mph. There are few supercars that can match that performance for 3X or more the cost.

The Mustang GT500 is interesting but folks I know aren't interested because the market is flooded with $30-45k base/GT models. I wish Ford would put out a separate GT500 that is uniquely distinguishable from the lower line. According to Motor1.com "2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Priced Below $74K, Can Surpass $100K". The GT500 will be an instant collector car and I bet both the Corvette and GT500 will carry a $15-25k markup for the 1st year.

I’m 41. So I guess that means I have to buy one.

"It shouldn't be hard to option a C8 well past the $80,000 mark. For example, 3LT with the Z51 package, Magnetic Ride, the front-axle lift costs $80,335" - Road & Track. However, $80k will buy a sub 3 second 0-60 car that can hit 194 mph. There are few supercars that can match that performance for 3X or more the cost.

The Mustang GT500 is interesting but folks I know aren't interested because the market is flooded with $30-45k base/GT models. I wish Ford would put out a separate GT500 that is uniquely distinguishable from the lower line. According to Motor1.com "2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Priced Below $74K, Can Surpass $100K". The GT500 will be an instant collector car and I bet both the Corvette and GT500 will carry a $15-25k markup for the 1st year.

I really need a 3 second car when i’m sitting in this: :LOL:

We could argue all day whether this is actually a Corvette or not, but either way it's a helluva car for under 100k. If I was in the market for a 2 seater this would be the top of the list.

I would say one of my hobbies is cars and it used to be an even bigger hobby for me than golf so I guess it shouldn't be something that frustrates me and I should understand. So to bring it down to a more manageable price range for me when I bought my STi my wife could not understand how I could pay $40K for a car that had the bare minimum as far as interior features go. Where I could have dropped $40K on an Audi and had a ton more features. I guess that is something us performance car guys go for.

I 100% agree with you that Ford needs to figure something out with the GT500. I agree they lose a lot of business based off the idea that someone could go drop the $40K on a Mustang and a lot of people wouldn't be able to differentiate the typical rent-a-car Mustang from the GT500 if you stripped the badging off. Give it something more. Give it more aggressive body lines to make the extra cost actually show.

I saw a picture of the 2020 convertable. It looks so awesome. I will probably never have one but it is very cool.

We could argue all day whether this is actually a Corvette or not, but either way it's a helluva car for under 100k. If I was in the market for a 2 seater this would be the top of the list.

Actually considering it but looking at the Supra and how much modifications can be done to it at an even cheaper price point I am leaning in that direction I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One of my students works at the local Chevrolet/GMC dealership. He drove one Monday. Said it's awesome. Completely different from the front engine Corvette. Said it feels like a race car.

I really like the look of the 2020 Convertible, way outside my pay grade but still buying lottery tickets....gotta daydream ?

Back