I am not normally a new style Vette fan. But, I am really digging this new one. Not that I can afford one right now but, the house will be paid off soon....hmmmmm
My wife is really wanting one. She can retire from teaching in about 8 years. I told her for her retirement present she can buy a brand new one or whatever one she wants. No house payment by then and she has worked her butt off, especially this year, and she deserves it. As long as I can go play golf whenever I want. HAHAHA!!!

I don't find the rear of the C8 to be too bad... I'm not too keen on the interior waterfall center console.

I've been a Corvette fan since I was a kid but the C8 just does nothing for me. I saw a few at as car show awhile back and it has some cool features but to me it doesn't look like a Corvette should look. Plus I think the goofy buttons on that center console looks pretty bad and kills the interior for me.

I don't find the rear of the C8 to be too bad... I'm not too keen on the interior waterfall center console.

Like some things, it looks worse in person. In my opinion at least. When I saw the rear in person the first couple times I was shocked how gaudy that rear end looked.

The rear is not bad to me, but I would have preferred different looking exhaust tips and possibly a center location exhaust, but that placement maybe added too much cost? The taillights are a little "Camaro-y" for me, but more of a nick pick on my part. The C8 is natural progression to the mid-engine concept designs that Chevrolet pondered for decades.. I'd say the car is more $300k looking than $80k.

Attachments

• 2020-10-14_7-05-22.jpg
    2020-10-14_7-05-22.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 6
I've been a Corvette fan since I was a kid but the C8 just does nothing for me. I saw a few at as car show awhile back and it has some cool features but to me it doesn't look like a Corvette should look. Plus I think the goofy buttons on that center console looks pretty bad and kills the interior for me.
I'd venture a guess that people said the same thing when the corvette design changed from the C2 to the C3 and even more so from the C3 to the C4... And from the C4 to the C7, the design has been mostly similar... a little refinement here and there, add a little J-Lo booty here, some new interior there... boom, the corvette as we've known it basically from 1984 to 2019.

I think the C8 is a radical departure from what we're used to seeing corvettes are/were. I don't love it but I also don't hate it. I'm looking forward to seeing how it evolves to the C9 and C10...

and yeah @GolfLivesMatter I think you're right, the tail lights are too much like a camaro... but all of GM's styling went that way... all edgy and pointy like. At least for the new corvette and camaro.

I'd venture a guess that people said the same thing when the corvette design changed from the C2 to the C3 and even more so from the C3 to the C4... And from the C4 to the C7, the design has been mostly similar... a little refinement here and there, add a little J-Lo booty here, some new interior there... boom, the corvette as we've known it basically from 1984 to 2019.

I think the C8 is a radical departure from what we're used to seeing corvettes are/were. I don't love it but I also don't hate it. I'm looking forward to seeing how it evolves to the C9 and C10...

and yeah @GolfLivesMatter I think you're right, the tail lights are too much like a camaro... but all of GM's styling went that way... all edgy and pointy like. At least for the new corvette and camaro.
Oh man. I'm not a fan of the "slab sided" effect on the new Tahoe at all, either. Cadillac has had that effect for some time. I think their newer cars look like a Buick/2006 Acura TL mashup. How about their "Corvette" a while back? Oh GM.... :ROFLMAO:

I saw a new Vette on the freeway and it's a very wide, race-car looking design. People were snapping pics of the car. The double-square exhaust tips remind me of Mercedes AMG exhaust tips which is OK, but I'm pretty sure the aftermarket will take care of that. IMO the prior design was stale, and I doubt there were many more options to update the front engine layout. The other thing Chevrolet wanted to do is attract younger buyers like those who buy Porsches. Probably won't happen but the new Vette is certainly a formidable adversary to any new Porsche with similar performance (Turbo, GT2) at less than half the cost.

As a note, it seems the Demon, GT350/500, GTR, and Corvettes are being collected because I RARELY see any of these on the road and I'm in SOCAL which is car crazy nirvana.

This thread has me going! If I were to buy a new performance car, it would be the Mustang GT500. I prefer the extra utility of a back seat for room, the view out of the car is easy, and the sound of the car is off-the-charts. I saw one at a winery in Paso Robles, CA. Lime green. The guy started it and it was like a race car getting ready for track day. I think he said he paid well over $100k. Yikes! But it is some car.

Oh man. I'm not a fan of the "slab sided" effect on the new Tahoe at all, either. Cadillac has had that effect for some time. I think their newer cars look like a Buick/2006 Acura TL mashup. How about their "Corvette" a while back? Oh GM.... :ROFLMAO:
I wish the Camaro didn't have the gunport-like windshield and small side windows. I had a restored '68 Camaro and that was far better in terms of view out of the car. The new one feels somewhat claustrophobic.

I wish the Camaro didn't have the gunport-like windshield and small side windows. I had a restored '68 Camaro and that was far better in terms of view out of the car. The new one feels somewhat claustrophobic.
Oh man, the cabin view can make or break a car. I don't care what it looks like from the outside if I can't see out.
This is a problem in so many designs. If its street legal, its nice to see where you are going. "Track view" won't do.
Sad part about ALL of these cars, by the time you can afford them, you can't climb in and out anymore.
Killed me to see Dad never bought a Vette while he still could climb in and out.
Do it if you can, while you can, whatever "your" car!! ;)

Jealous.... :love:;)

Oh man, the cabin view can make or break a car. I don't care what it looks like from the outside if I can't see out.
This is a problem in so many designs. If its street legal, its nice to see where you are going. "Track view" won't do.
Sad part about ALL of these cars, by the time you can afford them, you can't climb in and out anymore.
Killed me to see Dad never bought a Vette while he still could climb in and out.
Do it if you can, while you can, whatever "your" car!! ;)

Jealous.... :love:;)
I have a 74 911 with a 3.0L RS engine. I think it's more fun than the new 911's. The new one's are like Lexus's with a Porsche body. It's kinda funny that Porsche came out with a stripped-down version of the 911, called the Carrera T with a manual trans. They were responding to the purists who see the new models as being too luxury and not enough sports car.

I saw a new Vette on the freeway and it's a very wide, race-car looking design. People were snapping pics of the car. The double-square exhaust tips remind me of Mercedes AMG exhaust tips which is OK, but I'm pretty sure the aftermarket will take care of that. IMO the prior design was stale, and I doubt there were many more options to update the front engine layout. The other thing Chevrolet wanted to do is attract younger buyers like those who buy Porsches. Probably won't happen but the new Vette is certainly a formidable adversary to any new Porsche with similar performance (Turbo, GT2) at less than half the cost.
The other week I was on the freeway and saw something on a trailer pass by going the other direction. My son asked me if it was a Mclaren... I said I don't think so... no one would transport a Mclaren on an open trailer. I think it's a C8.

I couldn't tell though. Whatever it was looked cool!

I have a 74 911 with a 3.0L RS engine. I think it's more fun than the new 911's. The new one's are like Lexus's with a Porsche body. It's kinda funny that Porsche came out with a stripped-down version of the 911, called the Carrera T with a manual trans. They were responding to the purists who see the new models as being too luxury and not enough sports car.
You're still connected to the racing roots with your sweet ride. (y) Love me the Whale tail. (Cars, right?) :unsure::love:
I'd want a manual transmission in a sports car. The new Vette looks like a race car, but you have to buy your way in now?
All the electronics on everything....just a lot.

The rear is not bad to me, but I would have preferred different looking exhaust tips and possibly a center location exhaust, but that placement maybe added too much cost? The taillights are a little "Camaro-y" for me, but more of a nick pick on my part. The C8 is natural progression to the mid-engine concept designs that Chevrolet pondered for decades.. I'd say the car is more $300k looking than $80k.

Have you seen one in-person yet? I think saying it's "grotesque" is harsh, but it's by far the worst angle to my tastes. But like most cars, there are good angles and bad angles. I definitely don't like that rear end. From other angles it does look cool to me. I drive by this C7 many days though for my job sitting at the Mercedes dealer near me and it looks sweet.

Corvette kind of lost me when they changed up their design far more regularly than they used to. The C1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 had longer lives than the 6, 7 and now likely 8.

It reminds me of the golf clubs makers coming out with 35 new drivers every year all guaranteeing 10 more yards. It smacks of greed to me. I get why they do it, but it rubs me the wrong way.

May get one in the future but being 6’3 has it’s limitations... Wonder if the new one will suit taller drivers. I know the 80’s vettes were unkind to tall folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mid engine corvette just seems too oxymoronish? It's not a vette anymore.
Its a cool Chevy.
Corvette needs engine up front. Move it back and move the cabin back? Old Jaguar style but updated?

It reminds me of the golf clubs makers coming out with 35 new drivers every year all guaranteeing 10 more yards. It smacks of greed to me. I get why they do it, but it rubs me the wrong way.
Scanned your bag signature now. (y)(y)
These clubs sounded and felt/looked like something. Like cars. :cool:
Even the paint was very car-like and quality.
That's definitely lost in a lot of newer clubs with sound/feel.

May get one in the future but being 6’3 has it’s limitations... Wonder if the new one will suit taller drivers. I know the 80’s vettes were unkind to tall folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am also 6'3" -- the C7 and C8 the cabins are too small.. best one of the bunch for us tall guys is the C6 Grand Sport, they have lotsa room. C5 is ok too in this area but the C6 is a much better Corvette. LS3 engine is bullet proof. Have had my two C6s for 6 years - 41,000 miles on one and 20,000 miles on the other, and both of them have had no problems - great car especially with the 6 speed manual.. lot of fun get to and from the golf course.:love:

I see the 1st one off the line just auctioned off for $3 million at Barrett Jackson. o_O

There's honestly no reason that Corvette can't be compared to a Ferrari or McLaren IF it was made like the aforementioned or Ford GT: small quantities, hand craftsmanship, and quality construction. Instead it's a mass produced, corner cutting, mid-tier sports car. I would like it so much more if GM didn't give it to the bean counters before taking it to market.
Friend of mine has a McLaren 720s and let me tell you, handcrafted is not always better, especially today with modern manufacturing tech. You want a brand new car with the panel gaps and general build quality of a 1978 Camaro but with higher quality materials? That’s a McLaren. Even he says it’s a borderline kit car. Good luck hauling clubs too, but it’s a fun ride. I can’t comment on the C8 but I do have a C7 and honestly it’s about the perfect sports car for actual real world usage. If I was a gazillionaire I’d have a Ferrari and a few other exotics as well, but my daily driver would still be a vette.

Cars like this will never be a reality for me..

I've been meaning to give the C8 a test drive when I was buying a new vehicle in May '20 it was on my radar but a bit out of budget. I ended up going with a 2018 Audi S5 as it fits my lifestyle better. But, I was almost swayed by a Camaro ZL1, so that's the closest reference point I have for a modern GM product, lol.

Back