2020 Driver Market = "Meh"?

Not knowing your game at all, if you decide to try any of them a second time, I'd highly recommend the Max version. It's not just a "max forgiveness" only club, and many people have been surprised at the fact that it fit them better than the standard or sz.
Possibly. I am working on my swing too. I am really trying to stop com9ng over the top. I'm almost there and I am finding I am hitting low draws instead of high spinny shots. Not sure what that might mean with my next driver, but I want to get set with my swing before buying anything. Also just in general I am attracted to the MAVRIK regular aerodynamic story.

Nah.

We will continue to see very cool and high performing gear in the driver sector.

Mizuno’s new one Is already getting buzz. Cleveland’s new one is reviewing well, including here. Callaway has one coming. TM I believe is changing it up with what they have coming. Cobra is swinging for the fences. I’d be shocker if TEE doesn’t have something up their sleeves.

I think there will still be a lot of really good drivers released. REALLY really good.
Called it. (y)

Though I missed on TM changing it up. ;)

I bit the bullet last year and don't bite it every year anymore. So 2020 not the year of driver for me. Love my Epic Flash...

The only reason I might is to move on from the Rogue and EF SZ models to a non-SZ. Not sure if I’ll look at a complete new club or just a club head.

Last edited:
For the guy that likes to buy new clubs every year, you won’t see many significant increases. If you get a new driver every 3-4 years, those will gains will be significant enough to warrant a new driver.

Both are great. Have fun!

I saw this thread pop up and thought, "Yeah this didn't age well." but then I saw op tried some of the new drivers and wasn't blown away. I personally would disagree, but everyone's ymmv

From reading, my summary is that driver tech is about more consistency and spin control across the face rather than more distance. And it seems Callaway is focused on that aspect to control spin on heel and toe hits, etc, and may now do it better than most. That's from reading. I am still with G400 Max but as soon as I demo Mavrik that may change.

It takes the right fit but I’ve seen ball speed gains with the current crop, so I’m impressed. 3 mph is nearly ten yards carry, so I’m sold.

From reading, my summary is that driver tech is about more consistency and spin control across the face rather than more distance. And it seems Callaway is focused on that aspect to control spin on heel and toe hits, etc, and may now do it better than most. That's from reading. I am still with G400 Max but as soon as I demo Mavrik that may change.

it seems like tm, Callaway and cobra have all added stability to their drivers. getting launch up a bit, keeping spin manageable, but still retaining flight on mishits. they all figured out how to make it fast, now they're working on keeping it in control.

I'm in the opposite camp, where this year may finally be the year I replace my driver. Yeah, some companies have refined their tech instead of making that big splash with a new idea, but in my experience that has usually meant a better product for my game historically.

There isnt a 2020 model I've hit yet that has made me even remotely consider an upgrade (Sim, Mavrik, SZ). Not a single one put out more measurable ball speed which is basically my main criteria.
In fairness I have a well-fitted 2019 Flash so I wasnt expecting to be blown away.

Doesn't mean the new drivers arent fabulous products, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking they are game changing relative to last year. Lots of options at lots of price points.

I doubt any of the new drivers will knock out my Epic Flash. So, not looking. :)

like every year, it all depends on what you’re looking for and how old your current driver is. We’ve all known that the limits haven’t changed in a long time now and it’s all about keeping ball speed up on miss hits across the face. Even then, you have to find the one that does it best for your typical miss. It’s not easy on the manufacturers to try to get that done TBH, and each release is another attempt to hit that number for you. Buy it or not thats on the consumer.

I’ve only had time to test the G410 LST and the SIM (I know the 410 technically doesn’t count). The G410 didn’t do anything for me that my previous PXG couldn’t already do.

The SIM was significantly better. It’s the first driver I think I’ve ever hit that could get me consistently in the low 2k spin range. I know that’s a problem for many, but it has the potential to be the longest driver I’ve ever hit just because of the spin profile. And I didn’t notice any forgiveness issues in the one session with it so far. I owned the SLDR and really struggled with it. Anyone comparing the SIM to the SLDR are probably a poor fit for SIM and are confusing low spin for a lack of forgiveness. I play my drivers at 44.5” so I was hitting heel side shots with the stock 45.75” and still had shots in the mid 2k’s that cleared 280 carry/300 total with my longest at 312.

If the clubs I've hit so far and the type of feedback I have read, I think if anything 2020 is the year of the fitting, less so the year of the distance. Across the board with so many offerings, its really about getting fit to match your swing to optimize your launch parameters. I know I hit the EF SZ great and I felt the Mavrik gave me a little better foregiveness but not much of a gain overall ( which is what I would expect ). SIM I couldn't hit well just on a few swings but I would need more time and some fitting adjustments to see if I could game that. The Ping I couldn't hit. Didn't like the look, the feel, anything about it even though I know its a good driver. I really can't wait to hit the Cobra SZ as I like the look. Couple more weeks for that.

That depends on what you were using. I don't think there has been much improvement on a Ping G30, Callaway Epic, or TaylorMade M line at all. Those drivers center face are as good as any driver today. Those manufacturers have been fine tuning forgiveness and the ability to fit better. The other manufacturers have just caught up to the distance those drivers reached already. That's kind of my take on the driver market of the last several years.
I've been playing my G30 for 4 years or so. The Callaway Epic caught my eye and I'd been lusting after it pretty hard. A friend has one and I hit it on the range and for a few holes on the course that day - didn't notice any difference in distance or forgiveness/accuracy over my G30. I'm sure the Epic is a great driver, but I'm not paying $500+ for a club that's not going to make a significant difference in my game. Maybe there would be a difference in numbers on the Trackman, but if that doesn't translate to the course it makes no difference to me.

I saw a recent ad for a club (can't remember which one) that promised to shave 2-3 strokes per round off your game. I could shave a lot more strokes than that off my game if I spent more time practicing my short game, and it wouldn't cost me a thing. I guess I'm pretty jaded about all the industry advertising hype about gear (especially drivers) - if they were true, all of us would be hitting the ball at least a hundred yards further than we were 10 years ago.

It is funny because I have not bought a new OEM driver since Callaway came out with a metal driver back in the 1990's. When the new drivers come out I like to look at the heads and read all the reasons why they are so much greater this year. In fact I doubt that many of the drivers are much different in distance and forgiveness to charge $5-600 for a new offering. If I buy a "new to me" driver it is usually 3-4 years old and I have all the info I need to know how it really plays. I just can't bring myself to pay that kind of money for something that might give me a few more yards. I rarely miss a fairway so I really don't need forgiveness and at my swing speed no driver is going to give me that extra 10-15 yards.
It’s awesome that you are happy with what you are gaming but if you are playing a driver that is 20-30 years old you are virtually guaranteed to be leaving distance and forgiveness on the table, regardless of SS.

It’s awesome that you are happy with what you are gaming but if you are playing a driver that is 20-30 years old you are virtually guaranteed to be leaving distance and forgiveness on the table, regardless of SS.
I think you misunderstood my reply. I am gaming a PING G SF Tech now and have upgraded every 3-4 years just not buying brand new drivers just used. Works well for me.

There isnt a 2020 model I've hit yet that has made me even remotely consider an upgrade (Sim, Mavrik, SZ). Not a single one put out more measurable ball speed which is basically my main criteria.
In fairness I have a well-fitted 2019 Flash so I wasnt expecting to be blown away.

Doesn't mean the new drivers arent fabulous products, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking they are game changing relative to last year. Lots of options at lots of price points.

I’ll disagree on the game changing part. I know in your case, or better players for may matter, your swing is pretty repeatable so anything new will have to considerably be better for you to make the switch.

for golfers like myself who need some forgiveness and ball speed retention on mishits the new offerings imo are game changers. With me the max has tightened my dispersion, better ball speed and a few extra yards. Having a 1/2 to full club less into greens is game changing in my book.

I would imagine there are Cobra, TM and Ping players with similar stories.

I’ll disagree on the game changing part. I know in your case, or better players for may matter, your swing is pretty repeatable so anything new will have to considerably be better for you to make the switch.

for golfers like myself who need some forgiveness and ball speed retention on mishits the new offerings imo are game changers. With me the max has tightened my dispersion, better ball speed and a few extra yards. Having a 1/2 to full club less into greens is game changing in my book.

I would imagine there are Cobra, TM and Ping players with similar stories.
All fair points. I should have added a "For me and my game" to my post.

Called it. (y)

Though I missed on TM changing it up. ;)

Well TM did make some changes... I for one am really impressed with it. It is beating my epic flash in every way and I didnt think that would be possible. I was not too impressed with the last two years of TM stuff. This one is good.

Well for me and my game, any driver will be a game changer. I just can’t seem to suck it up and spend money. My gamer was purchased in 2001, and is still in my bag. ?

Back