I agree with Chris Simms
I agree with this take as well. The point of reaching out is not a slippery slope take either. It would for sure be the instant result.

It seems some teams are starting to wonder about giving out those huge contracts to the QBs and what that might do to the team salary cap-wise.

Wentz and Watson are on the market (one due to play and the other just not happy), Dak soon to be a free agent of franchised again, and now there are rumors that the Rams might not want to pay Goff the remainder of his contract they just signed him to a year ago.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...uaranteeing-jared-goff-a-roster-spot-in-2021/

And I agree with this, and it's been part of the NFL model for a while. Get a good young QB on their rookie contract when you're not paying them much, and you have money to build around them! And, if I was an NFL QB who really loved the game, and wanted to win, I might agree with that sentiment. I wouldn't want to be the reason that the team I play for can't keep an O line in front of me! Or provide me with weapons to work with! I can still build generational wealth, and NOT be the highest paid QB in the league!

And where did this idea that every new QB contract has to be the highest ever come from? It comes from the unenlightened self interest of their agents! They get a percentage! I heard Dan Patrick talk about this. Dak Prescott's agent is going to want his next contract to be higher than Patrick Mahomes! Why?! He not BETTER than Mahomes! And that should be the only metric in play!

man i think the texans are in a great spot. they are getting rid of a guy that cost 40 mil per year and doesn't want to be there and in return they are getting a qb (lawrence or tua, probably) and a boat load of picks. great way to rebuild.

i bet you 3 years from now the texans are better then the jets, if that is where watson ends up. Miami already has a good team so i can see them trying to make this happen if they can.

No they aren't! The Texans are run by a gang of idiots, which is why Watson wants out of there! They've built nothing around him. In fact, they've gotten rid of assets because the idiot HC/GM they had got his nose out of joint, because another player saw what was going on! They are a mess!

And they have a better chance of seeing God than seeing Lawrence! And if you think Tua will be your savior, ask yourself why the Dolphins would be willing to move off of him after one year with the team! I've heard that players on the team, which has constructed a new culture over the past 2 year which is all about winning, have gone to the coaching staff saying that Tua just doesn't have it!

gotta start somewhere though. and if they are rebuilding then why have a 40 mil qb around that doesn't want to be there. he is going to be a cancer/distraction if still there in a few months

This is a valid point. But, if you decide to rebuild then you must realize that you are starting in the cellar. And you have to climb the cellar steps one at a time to get out. I don't know that Texans management has the wherewithal to do so.

Here is a suggestion. Don’t fumble. Problem solved.

Here's another suggestion. Call a penalty when you see one!

I misspoke when I said Lawrence....I keep forgetting the jets screwed that one up.

I misspoke when I said Lawrence....I keep forgetting the jets screwed that one up.
I think Lawrence already bought a house here in Ponte Vedra. LOL

Lions agree to terms with Dan Campbell to be the next coach. Hoping this is the guy...

Philip Rivers retires.

Salary cap space for 2021 with a $176M cap. Recent estimates are the cap will be more like $180M next year but there are still about 10 teams with big cap issues that will have to let go of a lot of players.

Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 10.06.53 AM.png

Philip Rivers retires.

Let the debate begin. Played 17 years and had 252 (including playoffs) consecutive starts. Has the numbers, doesn't have the ring.

I think it's interesting that he's retiring to become a high school football coach.

Wow...that was interesting...question is do we ever see Philip Rivers in the HOF?

Remaining active NFL players from 2004 draft class:

Larry Fitzgerald
Andy Lee
Ben Roethlisberger

Wow...that was interesting...question is do we ever see Philip Rivers in the HOF?

Depends on who you ask. He has the numbers and the longevity; he just never won a Super Bowl. And he's only the number 3 quarterback in the 2004 draft. Eli went #1 and Rivers went #4. The Giants traded Rivers to the Chargers for Eli. Pittsburg selected Ben with their first round pick. Eli and Big Ben will both be in the Hall of Fame. As will the player who was selected one pick before Rivers. That player, not a quarterback, is still active. (Larry Fitzgerald) Not a bad draft in 2004 except for the Raiders. The #2 pick was an offensive lineman by the Raiders. Only Raiders fans will remember him.

I've always thought this was an easy answer yes. Seems like I am not on the majority

Remaining active NFL players from 2004 draft class:

Larry Fitzgerald
Andy Lee
Ben Roethlisberger

You know I had to look one of them up. A punter and two future HOF players.

It's debatable and that makes it interesting.
Yeah, totally debatable. The no-rings is a huge knock against him. He also spent the last couple years throwing debilitating picks trying to will his team to win far too often.

Yeah, totally debatable. The no-rings is a huge knock against him. He also spent the last couple years throwing debilitating picks trying to will his team to win far too often.

This is where the presenter has a potentially huge impact on whether or not player is selected. How he or she argues that Rivers' selection is justified on much more than stats and rings.

This is where the presenter has a potentially huge impact on whether or not player is selected. How he or she argues that Rivers' selection is justified on much more than stats and rings.

The rings won't matter. He was in the AFC with Brady and Ben and the Steelers and Patriots were better teams than the Chargers during his playing career. You can't blame any AFC QB from 2001-2020 for not winning a Super Bowl when TB 12 was in 9 of them. His numbers and the fact that he played at a high level for 17 seasons, including 240 consecutive regular season starts will need to be considered.

I don't understand the Miami and NYJ speculation for Watson when he is going to be on the 49ers. :p

I know my buddy in the front office would love that!

are they getting rid of stafford?

Haven't heard anything about Stafford, but the Colts have an opening at QB that would be prime for a veteran QB.

Haven't heard anything about Stafford, but the Colts have an opening at QB that would be prime for a veteran QB.
if i was them i would make a play for Stafford over wentz in a second. i don't see any real good teams giving up what Houston would want for watson

if i was them i would make a play for Stafford over wentz in a second. i don't see any real good teams giving up what Houston would want for watson

Colts are a playoff team with a good OL and running game. And they have plenty of cap room.

Depends on who you ask. He has the numbers and the longevity; he just never won a Super Bowl. And he's only the number 3 quarterback in the 2004 draft. Eli went #1 and Rivers went #4. The Giants traded Rivers to the Chargers for Eli. Pittsburg selected Ben with their first round pick. Eli and Big Ben will both be in the Hall of Fame. As will the player who was selected one pick before Rivers. That player, not a quarterback, is still active. (Larry Fitzgerald) Not a bad draft in 2004 except for the Raiders. The #2 pick was an offensive lineman by the Raiders. Only Raiders fans will remember him.
Just my opinion here, Eli was a decent, good to great for two runs in the playoffs but played for a long time on a team that had to throw the ball. Big Ben is pretty good, I think Rivers has been better than both of them consistently. It's not tennis where one player is all that matters, you've got 22 starters and his numbers are really good.

Just my opinion here, Eli was a decent, good to great for two runs in the playoffs but played for a long time on a team that had to throw the ball. Big Ben is pretty good, I think Rivers has been better than both of them consistently. It's not tennis where one player is all that matters, you've got 22 starters and his numbers are really good.
Eli and Ben both have 2 Super Bowl wins. They are both auto in the HOF. Maybe not first ballot, but will get in.

Rivers has some good numbers and will eventually get in as well. However, with Brees retiring this year as well, I don't expect Rivers to get in the same year. He will also have to wait a bit. But I think all three (Ben, Eli, and Rivers) get into the HOF. Talk about a great QB draft class.

I've always thought this was an easy answer yes. Seems like I am not on the majority
I say yes but I am very biased. Favorite player since LT retired/became a jet

Back