2020 Predictions - Manufacturers

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Alright you all, bias welcome here, IF you give you reasons why!

Four categories, and you name the company that you fit in each!

1) Boom - Company with a huge year, could be overall, could just be for them and not overall. Who ya got?

2) Stagnant - Who does little, or less, for themselves?

3) Sleeper - Who is the shocker company that improves their fortunes?

4) Slippery Slope - Who is approaching that slippery slope we have seen some come into contact with?

Let’s have some fun, some cordial and non hateful fun!

1. PXG. Once I add them to the bag I expect everyone to follow suit :p
2. TaylorMade. I dont think this SIM line is going to move them forward, its gonna go backward.
3. Every year I hope Cobra makes a leap. Maybe this is the year their price point and tech moved them.
4. Wilson. I love the people but I just dont think they can move the needle until they have a driver that makes moves.

1) Boom - Company with a huge year, could be overall, could just be for them and not overall. Who ya got? Cobra. I think they are absolutely killing it, and made some strides last year, but will continue to move forward this year.

2) Stagnant - Who does little, or less, for themselves? TaylorMade

3) Sleeper - Who is the shocker company that improves their fortunes? Tour Edge Exotics

4) Slippery Slope - Who is approaching that slippery slope we have seen some come into contact with? Wilson Staff

1:TE and Exotics. They seem to have a great understanding of who they are and an even better ability to make great stuff

2:TM is not that relevant to me. Callaway does what they do and way better.

3: TE and Exotics again. I think the core knows and respects them but they will begin to get outside the core with some marketing and folks will love them.

4:. Perhaps Hogan but only because their model requires fresh product and I’m unsure if they can deliver it consistently. Wilson as well. They must have a driver that put them at the adult table.

1. Callaway.... I think they may be in for another huge year with the new Mavrik lineup

2. Srixon.... I don’t think way down but probably a little. Mostly just because of their release cycle. I don’t think they are due for anything new until late in the year but I may be wrong.

3. Cobra..... Speed Zone and new Forged TEC lines should really propel them this year if consumers give them a try.

4. TaylorMade.... I don’t think their current irons and wedges help them at all. SIM looks pretty good but doesn’t have the buzz being generated by SpeedZone or Mavrik and will probably suffer because of other strong products in their market.

1) Boom - Company with a huge year, could be overall, could just be for them and not overall. Who ya got?
Full bias here and saying Callaway. Top to bottom, they'll continue to bring it.

Taylormade. They'll be fine, but don't seem to be pushing the envelope forward as much as they use to.

Mizuno. If they can get some attention regarding their new woods, they'll make big moves.

4) Slippery Slope - Who is approaching that slippery slope we have seen some come into contact with?
Honma. I'm not really sure they've taken advantage of having Rose sign last year and their new marketing. Obviously, don't know the numbers, but just doesn't seem like they've gained as much traction as they could have.

1) Boom - Cobra. I think they are killing it with their new tech and if SpeedZone is better than F9 it should be a winner and that includes the irons

2) Stagnant - Titleist, don't care for the new iron looks and their drivers to me are always meh

3) Sleeper - Mizuno. Irons are already loved by golfers everywhere. If their drivers are a success I think they could be in store for big things.

4) Slippery Slope - Wilson. Staffers are not exciting, equipment isn't good enough to compete with the big boys...or at least appears that way.

Callaway. The releases in 2020 coming in less than 2 weeks are VERY impressive and will raise the bar across golf. The changes they’ve made and the price point will give Callaway a huge year.

Taylormade. The SIM drivers are ok but I don’t think it’ll be the

XXIO especially with their clubs made for better players.

Tour Edge seems to be falling off a bit but hopefully they can find some fire at some point in 2020.

Callaway/Odyssey - after what I saw in December and compared to what others have leaked or we know is coming, I don't see how they don't have a big year or at the very least stay in the spot they currently occupy. I think the woods and golf balls will have a good to great year.

Taylomade comes to mind here. I am sure they will sell because they are TM and have the tour visibility, but I don't see them making any big strides.

Cleveland/Srixon - I think they have a great lineup and will continue to build on the momentum they appeared to gain in 2019. Their irons are fantastic and the woods are as good as anything out.

Wilson - I don't know why, but I just feel like they are losing a grip in the golf world. The equipment is an afterthought and it might be the bigger names have more marketing dollars to have a bigger impact, but I just don't feel like they are on the upswing or even trending that way.

This is a great topic and should be a fun discussion. Here are some different takes.

This is a tough one, because I think a number of companies will do well this year. Since I have golf ball on the brain, I am going to go with Bridgestone and Callaway. Both will pick up ball share if marketed well.

This is a really tough one. TaylorMade will do well, when they re-release M2 at a discount to drive sales. SIM should do well with their campaign, but I believe the irons will tumble a bit. Titleist as a possibility, but only because of release timing. Then there is PING with little coming due to 410 stagnancy. When it comes to Stagnant, I am going to go PING.

XXIO. They have a solid lineup for their audience and their growth has been steady. This is the year they gain a little bit more.
Also Ben Hogan. They have a few surprises coming that should get them in the hands of golfers.

Honma and its not close. This last line (current line) is virtually DOA in terms of marketing and buzz and it is decent. The previous driver was average. They dont have the same mystique and don't have the marketing, so what's left?

1. Boom - Cobra is going to make a big splash this year. They laid the groundwork last year and now it's time to blossom. I talked to the golf guy at my Dick's and they only carry TM and Callaway, but he said they are adding Cobra this year. That is huge for sales potential.

2. Stagnant - TaylorMade's new Driver and FW release looks like a Cobra F9 in a custom color scheme and their new irons are retread city P790's. If you looked up stagnant in the dictionary this would be it.

3. Sleeper - Mizuno starts to be known for their non iron clubs, specifically Drivers. This is the year they start to become more than an also ran in that category.

4. Slippery Slope - Ping, the G410 was great, but had no buzz due to it being a retread of the G400. If they don't get buzz back on their side they could struggle. Titleist also cannot afford to just refresh the TS Driver and FW line in September, they have had 2 years so they need to have another big jump to show they take innovation seriously now.

1) Boom - Company with a huge year, could be overall, could just be for them and not overall. Who ya got? Cobra - just seems they keep building momentum every year

2) Stagnant - Who does little, or less, for themselves? TaylorMade - I know their stuff must be really good based on tour usage but nothing they put out ever screams get your hands on it now

3) Sleeper - Who is the shocker company that improves their fortunes? Mizuno - particulary with their metal woods lineup. If there is a THP Experience built around them, they must be pretty darn good!

4) Slippery Slope - Who is approaching that slippery slope we have seen some come into contact with? Wilson - even though their equipment looks darn good and problem performs very well, there just never seems to be a lot of postive buzz (on social media and such) about the brand

1) Boom - Company with a huge year, could be overall, could just be for them and not overall. Who ya got? mizuno. i think they are pushing hard into metal woods and doing some really interesting things. i think the public is starting to take notice, not just the homers who would have bought their stuff anyway.

2) Stagnant - Who does little, or less, for themselves? titleist. i know they're trying, but i don't see them doing enough to make any headway.

3) Sleeper - Who is the shocker company that improves their fortunes? i'm not sure about this one. i don't have a strong feeling. last year it was definitely cobra that shocked the world with the f9 driver. i don't think speedzone will do that for them, although from what i've heard it's excellent. i'm going to say ben hogan golf finds a way to keep prices competitive, and continues its impressive sales growth.

4) Slippery Slope - Who is approaching that slippery slope we have seen some come into contact with? taylormade. i feel with the m series of woods, the p series of irons, and the tp series of balls they made some very impressive gains after being on the brink of disaster as a company (just my perception, i don't know if the sales bear that out). but sim feels like a step outside that box, where i think they had such a good thing going with m/p/tp. i think they should have stayed iterative instead of what feels reactionary.

it feels weird to leave callaway out of this conversation, having just returned from the grandaddy. but they're at the top of the mountain already. as much as i am impressed with what they're releasing soon, i think the only thing working against them is how unbelievable their 2019 releases were. while they've improved on everything in pretty shocking ways, the tech stories in 2019 were so innovative and fresh that i think they'll overshadow what was accomplished with the 2020 releases. i don't think they'll take a step back, but i have a feeling their blitz of innovation in 2019 is still enough of a story that 2020 won't get the attention it deserves.

1) Boom - Company with a huge year, could be overall, could just be for them and not overall. Who ya got? I am going to say Cobra, although in many ways, I think the company took that step forward last year. I think that it will continue to build upon that momentum.

2) Stagnant - Who does little, or less, for themselves? Wilson. It just doesn’t seem to be able to create any buzz for itself. I also think Ping is becoming stagnant. The buzz didn’t seem to be there for its products, particularly relative to the reception for the G400 woods.

3) Sleeper - Who is the shocker company that improves their fortunes? Bridgestone. I am going to predict that it makes a splash with its new balls and regains some of its reputation.

4) Slippery Slope - Who is approaching that slippery slope we have seen some come into contact with? PXG. I think that the competition arrived and that PXG is now trying to change its story, offering more affordable products, but that dilutes from the extreme exclusivity that was its brand.

1) Boom - Cobra. Last year's lineup was insane and they are improving on it and still cheaper than their competitors

2) Stagnant - Ping. I really liked the G400 a couple years ago but haven't been excited about their recent products.

3) Sleeper - Mizuno. Their irons are beloved but their woods are generating some buzz

4) Slippery Slope - Wilson. I just haven't seen anything recently that I would want in my bag..

1) Boom - Company with a huge year, could be overall, could just be for them and not overall. Who ya got? Cobra - just seems they keep building momentum every year

2) Stagnant - Who does little, or less, for themselves? TaylorMade - I know their stuff must be really good based on tour usage but nothing they put out ever screams get your hands on it now

3) Sleeper - Who is the shocker company that improves their fortunes? Mizuno - particulary with their metal woods lineup. If there is a THP Experience built around them, they must be pretty darn good!

4) Slippery Slope - Who is approaching that slippery slope we have seen some come into contact with? Wilson - even though their equipment looks darn good and problem performs very well, there just never seems to be a lot of postive buzz (on social media and such) about the brand
I think you nailed it with Wilson’s marketing. They market to the wrong people - it’s like they don’t know who buys their goods. You shouldn't advertise to only 30 year olds when your target demo is much older.

Boom - Cobra. The new Speedzone Woods and irons, the forged Tec and even the T rails show that the company is moving forward with attractive products for all golfers.
Stagnant - Ping. What follows the G 410? Other companies are producing new products. What is Ping going to do here.
Sleeper - Cleveland . New irons and woods and great wedges. And the Frontline putters including the Elevado. Plus, if it weren't for my fortune of being on Team Hackers in 2020, I may have rocked an entire bag of Cleveland clubs this year.
Slippery Slope - Taylor Made. Other than a stable of great golfers who use and endorse their products, I'm not sure how their new drivers will be accepted by the golfing public with other companies like Cobra and Callaway putting out well received and hyped new products. Plus, I haven't heard or read any buzz about TM irons recently.

1) Boom - Mizuno - thinking they are in for some big gains.

2) Stagnant - Bridgestone - ball improvements or not, can a company survive really only caring about their balls, and ignoring the rest of the market?

3) Sleeper - Cleveland Cleveland Cleveland. Some incredible gear out there that people just need to try out.

4) Slippery Slope - Taylor Made. I just don't get what they are doing. Paying for staff players brings visibility sure, but aside from that, I can't name a single TM product that has piqued my interest in years.

I forgot to play ;)

1) Boom - Tour Edge. I think that the addition of the new EXS 220 line to the 48 hour turnaround combined with all the tech they're applying at the price they are with the aesthetics makes their previous record setting year, even bigger this year. Won't be a leader in the industry, but, will be a boom year for them.

2) Stagnant - Callaway. This isn't meant as a knock, I think they're on top or close to it in every category, and will stay there with more high performing gear, at better price points.

3) Sleeper - Cobra. The SpeedZone line is going to surprise some with how much it moves, and being back in big box stores will help bolster even more. FINALLY they've got some footing.

4) Slippery Slope - Honma and Wilson tie. While Wilson at least is trying to have and show a clue, some recent decisions are confusing to me and it just seems they've lost something that the team had for so long. Honma, well, what the flying f**k is honma doing? No one knows.

I am replying before I read anyone else's responses because I do not want anyone to affect my first thought.

1) Boom - Company with a huge year, could be overall, could just be for them and not overall. Who ya got? Cobra, the speedzone drivers are fairways are great, and the forged tech iron is as good as any other hollow body iron out there for less.

2) Stagnant - Who does little, or less, for themselves? PXG, they can only do so much in the market they play in.

3) Sleeper - Who is the shocker company that improves their fortunes? Mizuno, It is kind of hard to call Mizuno a sleeper as such a well known and respected company. But they are expanding their offerings. New putters that are milled awesomeness and woods that I think will rival anything.

4) Slippery Slope - Who is approaching that slippery slope we have seen some come into contact with? Wilson, their new wedges look great but they are not pushing any boundaries and not on anyone's radar.

1) Boom - Cobra has blown me away with last years onslaught looks like more of the same this year

2) Stagnant - Titleist not impressed with what their doing especially in woods category

3) Sleeper - Mizuno is always known for their irons maybe the woods stand out this year

4) Slippery Slope - Taylormade really felt flat with M5 & M6 don't know about SIM "SLDR 2" woods...

Alright you all, bias welcome here, IF you give you reasons why!

Four categories, and you name the company that you fit in each!

Boom - Nike, I don't know if they count as a manufacturer or not, but I just feel like they're poised for some buzz and press this year with their stable of golfers.

Stagnant - PXG, as big as they'd like to think they are, I just don't see them getting any bigger and probably declining

Sleeper - Wilson, I think we're gonna see bigger and better out of them this year

Slippery Slope - Ping, just don't hear much from them at all anymore

I'm going to be a contrarian on this one....

Boom: Titleist. Their ball dominance is not going away, SM8 is going to be a huge hit in the wedge space, and I think they are going to get leverage from their Tour presence as other companies have shrunk.

Stagnant: Callaway. This has nothing to do with their current product, but many of us know about the brain drain that has happened on the marketing side. It is only natural to think that is going to happen on the product development side as well, much like what happened to TaylorMade when they were on top in the early 2010s.

Sleeper: Going to agree with @Jman and say Cobra. The real golf equipment geeks know how good their stuff is, the general golfing public just needs to catch on. A major win by Rickie or Bryson would help in that regard.

Slippery Slope: It pains me to say this, but Bridgestone. I play their ball right now, FWIW. They are putting a bunch of faith into the new version of their tour-level balls hitting stores this year, but if they can't even get past Callaway to #2 in the ball share and/or Tiger has issues and isn't as relevant anymore, then what do they have to hang their hat on?

1) Boom - Company with a huge year, could be overall, could just be for them and not overall. Who ya got? I am liking Cobra this year. I hope that this is the year that the great equipment that they have been making for sometime really takes off for them.

2) Stagnant - Who does little, or less, for themselves? Gotta go with TaylorMade on this one unless they have something really unexpected up their sleeves.

3) Sleeper - Who is the shocker company that improves their fortunes? I am think it is gonna be Tour Edge. They makes some great clubs and they really made some advancements last year in marketing that I think will continue.

4) Slippery Slope - Who is approaching that slippery slope we have seen some come into contact with? I may regret this, but I think it is going to be Callaway. I hope I am wrong, but there is just something that tells me that this year is going to derail them a bit.

1-Boom Callaway The new Mavrik line is going to explode!
2-Stagnant Ben Hogan Golf They released so much new equipment lately. Just the nature of things! Although, there is talk of new hybrids?
3-Sleeper Tour Edge Once again they take another massive step forward for the little guy. With EXS220, HL4, and 48 hour shipping!
4-Slippery Slope Tie TM and W/S They could make huge leaps or just have mediocre years.

Back