Tour Event 2020 Rocket Mortgage Classic

I saw a friend of mine put out an article on this and I could not disagree more with it.
Its an assumption that its the equipment length and not a mental block, etc.

The guy has more than a handful of wins on tour and is probably the hottest golfer on the PGA Tour right now and all of the sudden he should change the lengths of his clubs?

No disagreement on any of that. I am thinking just wedges. He is choking down on them anyway. I am not saying go away from what is obviously working. Just tweak it a little.

Really??!!?? Bryson lines up and pulls the green book out for a two footer?

I’m all for information, but that seems excessive

No disagreement on any of that. I am thinking just wedges. He is choking down on them anyway. I am not saying go away from what is obviously working. Just tweak it a little.

Manipulating his hand position is how he changes distances and flight in a number of areas.
I cannot believe that with his start to the PGA Tour re-start people genuinely believe that he should change his gear to variable length. Obviously Ryan disagrees, but in this instance, he is wrong :ROFLMAO:

Wolff buries another one. 59 watch definitely on as he still has 2 par 5s left

Manipulating his hand position is how he changes distances and flight in a number of areas.
I cannot believe that with his start to the PGA Tour re-start people genuinely believe that he should change his gear to variable length. Obviously Ryan disagrees, but in this instance, he is wrong :ROFLMAO:

I would never say change what works. He is on complete fire. I am just wondering again by comparison what area is lacking and what would make him a dominant force (if not already one). It has to be improvement in that area right? I mean he is out driving everyone and is extremely accurate at doing it. His iron game is really solid, and I think he is a better putter than he gets credit for.

those 50-100 yard wedges which is the area he is living in right now seem to be his bug-a-boo.. haha. He has been a top ten machine and I am really enjoying watching him. I am just wondering out loud.

Glad to see PGA Tour Live giving us Wolff footage. Has under 10 feet for another birdie

Does Bryson finally get a win this week? The man is playing great and the field is pretty weak.
Not sure and I really don’t care either way. I’ve stayed away from comments regarding his metamorphosis but, had to share this I saw. If he continues beefing up, wins a few but lacks a major will he become know as “Thicky Fowler” ? 😂

Hideki honestly putts like a 20 handicap. Its simply amazing.

I would be shocked if his wedge game does not improve now that they’re back playing. He had a big focus on driving and now that focus will shift. None of this is static.

And @JB could not be more accurate when saying length is not necessarily a problem. OL wedges are not nearly as difficult to work with as people would like you to believe. As @Wildcat4life has been gaming my clubs this week, he has some preliminary thoughts that will be surprising to most. Can’t wait for the final review

PGA live needed to pick a different feature group. Reed, Matsumaya, and others are not even making the cut.

I think the PGA is hoping for a big surge from some players as the leader board us pretty weak at the top. If not, we going to see all Bryson all the time. Ugh

635 yards.......and Bryson is on in 2 haha

Man Bryson is still sooooo slow on the greens. Hes improved his pace on full swings.

Wolff gets another birdie to get to 9 under. Needs eagle birdie birdie finish for 59. Def can get home in 2 on the next par 5.

Man Bryson is still sooooo slow on the greens. Hes improved his pace on full swings.

he drives is so far he can’t be slow on the fairway, but makes up for it on the greens. He’s brutal at times to watch lining up putts

I would never say change what works. He is on complete fire. I am just wondering again by comparison what area is lacking and what would make him a dominant force (if not already one). It has to be improvement in that area right? I mean he is out driving everyone and is extremely accurate at doing it. His iron game is really solid, and I think he is a better putter than he gets credit for.

those 50-100 yard wedges which is the area he is living in right now seem to be his bug-a-boo.. haha. He has been a top ten machine and I am really enjoying watching him. I am just wondering out loud.

I dont disagree, but I guess my question is really more in depth and more of a question.
Why when Bryson struggles with wedges is it because of the length of his and anybody else struggles with wedges it is because of their swing, mind, etc?

This is where I struggle so much with Ryan's piece. Here we have a guy that spent months working primarily on swinging faster and hitting it further. He comes out of the gates hot and is the most talked about on tour. All of the sudden after three top 10s, his wedges are the wrong length.

That is my thought on it, and maybe mine alone.

I some times love the PGA your shot stat numbers.

I just say Bubba get 184 ball speed with at 118 club head speed. That is like a 1.55 smash factor! I think that is impossible. Do they juice the numbers for TV or is it just inaccuracy?

I dont disagree, but I guess my question is really more in depth and more of a question.
Why when Bryson struggles with wedges is it because of the length of his and anybody else struggles with wedges it is because of their swing, mind, etc?

This is where I struggle so much with Ryan's piece. Here we have a guy that spent months working primarily on swinging faster and hitting it further. He comes out of the gates hot and is the most talked about on tour. All of the sudden after three top 10s, his wedges are the wrong length.

Oh not yours alone, for sure. Question for Ryan, has he ever tried a OL wedge? I don't mean picked it up and hit a couple shots, I mean actually tried. I imagine the vast majority of people saying the length is the problem has never done that. Not a problem, but the notion that you can't do everything with a OL wedge is just wrong.

I think you know better than most, that change is not welcomed when it’s not your original idea/thought.

I think with golf media it’s easy to pick on Bryson bc it’s against the grain of “traditional” golf and they have to dig deeper to get a better story/perspective to share.

personally my comments aren’t about the OL theory or how it works for him. They come from trying to understand how the touch shots, wedges and putter, might be holding him back. To your point he’s the hottest guy on tour since the restart so his process is working and many don’t understand it, so they pick it apart.

Reactions: JB

That is a very fair argument. I guess my thought is just in my very limited experimentation with one length. As I have tried them on the course, I found the wedges the most unruly and hard to play with. He is obviously on a different level and has been doing this a long time so I don't really compare myself to him. But, that is where I saw the biggest weakness in the philosophy for me.

I also don't think this is a new thought process with Bryson or one length. I feel like I have heard his wedges are his weakness his entire pro career.

Oh not yours alone, for sure. Question for Ryan, has he ever tried a OL wedge? I don't mean picked it up and hit a couple shots, I mean actually tried. I imagine the vast majority of people saying the length is the problem has never done that. Not a problem, but the notion that you can't do everything with a OL wedge is just wrong.

Ryan has tried everything.. How extensive. who knows.

Ryan has tried everything.. How extensive. who knows.

I look forward to the next analysis of a player struggling with wedges and it says to change the length of the wedges :ROFLMAO:
Up until last week DJ couldn't make a putt, nobody said "go try a long putter" hahahahahah

Love how the leaders from yesterday are going to show up to the first tee today and be at least 4 shots behind haha.

Back