2020 Srixon Q-STAR TOUR Golf Balls

It's great to see Srixon continue to Q-Star Tour... I know a lot of people have really enjoyed it. I showed this thread to my co-worker today who plays QST and her was stoked!

Very nice write up Dean!! It has been a while since I played the Q Star Tour, but I will have to give these a try for sure.

Really excited to try out this year's version of the QST.

Probably the one sure fire 2020 product that will make it into my bag.

I believe we all owe Dean Snell (www.Snellgolf.com) a big thank you for his DTC marketing model of his high-quality golf balls, thus making it imperative that the major and second-tier manufacturers rethink the pricing of their products. That pricing pressure is why we see new products like the Q Star coming to the market at prices that are more reasonable. I see no reason that we have to pay $45/dozen (and more) for golf balls to support incredible marketing costs and endorsement payments to pros. Snell balls and the new Srixon offerings are far more than just adequate for us recreational golfers.

I believe we all owe Dean Snell (www.Snellgolf.com) a big thank you for his DTC marketing model of his high-quality golf balls, thus making it imperative that the major and second-tier manufacturers rethink the pricing of their products. That pricing pressure is why we see new products like the Q Star coming to the market at prices that are more reasonable. I see no reason that we have to pay $45/dozen (and more) for golf balls to support incredible marketing costs and endorsement payments to pros. Snell balls and the new Srixon offerings are far more than just adequate for us recreational golfers.

I would disagree here... Srixon offers strong value in their irons and woods as well, as part of their overall brand postioning. They have been offering good value in a ball for a long time. I think Srixon's pricing and decision to offer a lower swing speed urethane ball at price lower than Z-Star, has nothing to do with Snell and everything to do with eating away at the market-share of Titleist, Callaway, etc... which they seem to be doing well.

Missed this! Well done @ddec

I’ve put a lot of my HS kids in QST’s in the past so these def interest me.

I’ll definitely add this to my short list of new balls to try. Last year I tried many balls as I’m new to the game. After all of it ProV1 and the Z Star were the two I chose. Actually really liked the Q Star Tour all around the course except off the driver. Big Fan of Srixon. Will be much easier this year as their are just 3 new balls I want to try. Come in warmer weather.

I played the QST last year and liked the ball and have about 3 dozen left. It is disappointing that they are changing it again. If I am correct, they had new versions in 2018, 2019 and now 2020. It makes the company look like that are not very confident about their own product. Since they keep changing the ball every year, I may be looking for a company that keeps the same product around for a couple of years. :unsure:

I played the QST last year and liked the ball and have about 3 dozen left. It is disappointing that they are changing it again. If I am correct, they had new versions in 2018, 2019 and now 2020. It makes the company look like that are not very confident about their own product. Since they keep changing the ball every year, I may be looking for a company that keeps the same product around for a couple of years. :unsure:

I dont believe that to be the case. They alternate time periods with the Q-STAR

If your not innovating and improving you will be left behind. This is very much the case in golf equipment. Consumers for the most part like the latest and greatest.

I dont believe that to be the case. They alternate time periods with the Q-STAR

I worked in the Pro Shop last summer. We received "new" 2019 Q-Star Tours and had to keep them separate from the old product. It was a little confusing because boxes were almost the same. I am am not sure when the previous version was released but I was thinking it was 2018 however, the ball could have been 2017. The point is, it looks like the the 2019 version only lasted 1 year. Thanks.

I worked in the Pro Shop last summer. We received "new" 2019 Q-Star Tours and had to keep them separate from the old product. It was a little confusing because boxes were almost the same. I am am not sure when the previous version was released but I was thinking it was 2018 however, the ball could have been 2017. The point is, it looks like the the 2019 version only lasted 1 year. Thanks.

2017 Q-Star Tour was released in January
In the fall of 2018, they released the second generation of Q-STAR Tour
Beginning of 2020, they are releasing the 3rd generation of Q-STAR Tour

2017 Q-Star Tour was released in January
In the fall of 2018, they released the second generation of Q-STAR Tour
Beginning of 2020, they are releasing the 3rd generation of Q-STAR Tour
That clears it up. Thanks!

If I remember correctly, the Q-Star is the equivalent of the AD333 that we have over here, and I was never a fan of that ball having tried it a few times

I have to be honest and say I haven't tried the TOUR version, so maybe I will give them a try and see what they are like compared to my usual Chromesoft X

I just purchased 4 dozen of the 2019 Yellow Q-Star Tour balls. It is a really great ball at 18 bucks a dozen. I will pick up a dozen of the new ones when they come out.

Got used to playing the QST before I was fit in to a different ball at an event last year. I really like the new ball, but if I were to ever want to switch it up, this would be my first choice.

If I remember correctly, the Q-Star is the equivalent of the AD333 that we have over here, and I was never a fan of that ball having tried it a few times

I have to be honest and say I haven't tried the TOUR version, so maybe I will give them a try and see what they are like compared to my usual Chromesoft X
I think the model you are referring to as marketed as the AD333 in UK was the Srtixon Soft Feel, the lowest on the pricepoint, and still sold in NA. The QStar is between that and the Q Star Tour in price and I would argue in performance. GStar is also firmer than the QST I believe.

Last edited:
I think the model you are referring to as marketed as the AD333 in UK was the Srtixon Soft Feel, the lowest on the pricepoint, and still sold in NA. . The QStar is between that and the Q Srtar Tour i price and I would argue in prformance. Also firmer than the QST I believe.

Here in the UK we have the following balls in the Srixon range

AD333 (and Tour)
Soft Feel
Ultisoft
Z-Star (and XV)

Glad to see their continuing to apply tour level tech to a golf ball intended for use by the recreational golfer at a price the recreational golfer can appreciate.

I played the Q Star today and had a great day. Gotta admit I’m impressed.

I like the new alignment, and they ALMOST had me there. The ball getting faster was 100% necessary to compete with the chrome soft. However, the whole point to this ball for me would have been for the irons, and with that extra spin they say they are adding in, that steers me away again. Bummer.

Sort of...
As I understood it, the AD333 was sold here in the US and was their firmer 2pc surlyn ball compared to the Soft Feel which is their 2pc low compression ball.
Then a good while back the AD333 went away in the US and was only offered outside the US. You can still find the older gen AD333s at places like Walmart.

In the US, they came out with the Q Star which is a 2 pc mid compression ball with their spin skin coating. So yes, this would be something similar to your existing AD333. Although I am not sure if the AD333 touts the "spin skin" coating.

Then in the US a few years back they came out with the Q Star Tour which is a lower compression 3pc urethane ball similar to your AD333 Tour.
Srixon many years ago also had a ball called the Z Star SL which was also a lower compression 3pc urethane ball. Probably my favorite ball of all time. It was sort of our first exposure to a low compression 3pc urethane ball that is now more prevalent. Ahead of its time I guess.

I alternate between the Q Star Tour and Bridgestone Tour B RX, going to to have to do some head to head with both new releases.

I have played the original version of QST starting sometime in 2017 and still have about 4 dozen+ left. I have two questions:

1. Do companies back up their versions of new balls with numbers than just words? I mean it's always "Longer, Straighter, Softer, More Control, etc." How about some figures from robot testing of new version vs. older version?

2. I live in Sacramento and our local muni course Haggin Oaks has supposedly one of the biggest golf expos at the end of April. The last two times they offered BOGO on QST during that time. Does anyone aware of other times when BOGO are offered?

Back