2020 Toulon Putter Thread

Alright, was able to roll some here before lunch, and have a few thoughts on the Chigago:

1. It frames the ball really well. A great looking compact heel to toe putter, especially compared to my old blade. Love it behind the ball.
2. Feel is fantastic. In my mind, a perfect blend of mid mallet and blade. I have more feel than compared to my mid mallet, and just a bit less than my blade. Exactly what I was looking for. The SL shaft, combined with the weighted grip, also add to this feel. Great overall package.
3. Sound is dense, and very pleasing to me.
4. Looks. The smoke finish is even better in hand than in pictures.
5. Overall. This seriously was exactly what I was hoping it would be. A wide blade that fit inbetween my mid-mallet and blade putter, blending the best of both worlds.

The test will be that once I get outside, how are my lag putts. My lag putting suffered greatly with my blade, and the mid mallet was a revelation. I hope I don't lose anything with the Chicago, but I think based on initial feel, it will be more mallet than blade in this area of performance.

Alright, was able to roll some here before lunch, and have a few thoughts on the Chigago:

1. It frames the ball really well. A great looking compact heel to toe putter, especially compared to my old blade. Love it behind the ball.
2. Feel is fantastic. In my mind, a perfect blend of mid mallet and blade. I have more feel than compared to my mid mallet, and just a bit less than my blade. Exactly what I was looking for. The SL shaft, combined with the weighted grip, also add to this feel. Great overall package.
5. Overall. This seriously was exactly what I was hoping it would be. A wide blade that fit inbetween my mid-mallet and blade putter, blending the best of both worlds.

The test will be that once I get outside, how are my lag putts. My lag putting suffered greatly with my blade, and the mid mallet was a revelation. I hope I don't lose anything with the Chicago, but I think based on initial feel, it will be more mallet than blade in this area of performance.
Great to hear the positive first reaction!

Nice initial thoughts. I think you will find the Chicago very easy to get lag distances down

After putting around with the Chicago more, it cant be understated how well the Chicago head along with Stroke Lab shaft and grip work together. This is my first foray into the Stroke Lab family, and I feel like the entire putter is very well connected and balanced.

So I ran into a problem with my Chicago. My 5 y.o. and I were putting and he notices the bear on the bottom. Now he wants it, even tried to hide it from me once :ROFLMAO:. He already commandeered my Odyssey ? mallet cover because it has his favorite colors.

All I keep thinking is future THPer :unsure:

Another day and some more random thoughts from indoor putting:

- Feel is what I was looking for. More feedback than the mid mallet, but less than the blade.
- Getting used to the roll, and was making a lot of good putts to specific distances
- Interested to get it outside and hit some longer putts. This is where the mid mallet really shined for me, and had me sinking putts I had no business making. I was always terrible at them with the blade, so I'm curious to see which side this will lean towards...mid mallet or blade
- Still love the look at address. The heel to toe size couldn't be more right for me. Compact, frames the ball well, and just looks great too.

Another day and some more random thoughts from indoor putting:

- Feel is what I was looking for. More feedback than the mid mallet, but less than the blade.
- Getting used to the roll, and was making a lot of good putts to specific distances
- Interested to get it outside and hit some longer putts. This is where the mid mallet really shined for me, and had me sinking putts I had no business making. I was always terrible at them with the blade, so I'm curious to see which side this will lean towards...mid mallet or blade
- Still love the look at address. The heel to toe size couldn't be more right for me. Compact, frames the ball well, and just looks great too.
Keep rolling it and going deeper in love. The Chicago is an amazing putter.

I've been waiting on the right Chicago to come up on CPO, but someone just posted this Garage Chicago on FB the other day.

Priced a little too high and the length isn't right for me so I won't be purchasing, but I thought yall would like it.

1613531611499.png
1613531627151.png
1613531640421.png
1613531657651.png
1613531683516.png
1613531701192.png

I've been waiting on the right Chicago to come up on CPO, but someone just posted this Garage Chicago on FB the other day.

Priced a little too high and the length isn't right for me so I won't be purchasing, but I thought yall would like it.

The tour black head is sooooo good looking

I have a Chicago purchased last year and had no issues with lag putts, it is a solid and I found very easy to get acquainted. Congrats on your purchase.

Picked up a mint condition Toulon Memphis for cheap.

Never hit a Toulon putter before.

Fingers crossed we get along.

Got the Las Vegas out on the course today. 32 putts but the thing that stood out to me was how fast this putter gets the ball rolling so smoothly. Lag putting was extremely accurate. The other thing that stood out and is important is the short putts, (under 5 feet ). I didn’t miss any of those today.
It will be nice to see how this putter rolls when the greens are in good shape and are mowed. This putter could stay in the bag all year the way it performed today.

In hard ponder over Austin or San Diego right now.
I had them both but only for a short time each. Austin felt less punishing on misses. No idea what to base that off since they seem like the same putter, just different bumpers on the back. San Diego is ever so slightly heavier and 1* less toe hang. Just preference on looks at that point! Can't wait to see which one you choose!

Got the Las Vegas out on the course today. 32 putts but the thing that stood out to me was how fast this putter gets the ball rolling so smoothly. Lag putting was extremely accurate. The other thing that stood out and is important is the short putts, (under 5 feet ). I didn’t miss any of those today.
It will be nice to see how this putter rolls when the greens are in good shape and are mowed. This putter could stay in the bag all year the way it performed today.
I had the exact opposite outcome for the short time I used the Vegas. My lag putting was horrible. Short putts were pretty easy like you mentioned but I just couldn't get anything going with it from distance. Glad it's working for you! I'm still rooting for your Chicago though :LOL:

I had the exact opposite outcome for the short time I used the Vegas. My lag putting was horrible. Short putts were pretty easy like you mentioned but I just couldn't get anything going with it from distance. Glad it's working for you though! I'm still rooting for your Chicago though :LOL:
I’m not ready to give up the Chicago yet. On looks alone it win to my eye. The Vegas definitely has a different feel to it.

I’m not ready to give up the Chicago yet. On looks alone it win to my eye. The Vegas definitely has a different feel to it.
I've noticed with my mid mallet that the feel is less, if that makes sense. I don't feel the ball come off the face due to the heavier head. Not a bad feel, just different as you state.

The Vegas definitely has a different feel to it.
I hear you on that. I have the same thought when it comes to the Seattle and the Chicago. Only on a mat right now though so I can't say much about it on real grass yet.

I've noticed with my mid mallet that the feel is less, if that makes sense. I don't feel the ball come off the face due to the heavier head. Not a bad feel, just different as you state.
More dense solid feeling. It came with a 40g weight in it and I dropped it to 20g and that helped a LOT with feel and distance control.

I hear you on that. I have the same thought when it comes to the Seattle and the Chicago. Only on a mat right now though so I can't say much about it on real grass yet.
There is just something about the Chicago that gives you confidence with it.

I had them both but only for a short time each. Austin felt less punishing on misses. No idea what to base that off since they seem like the same putter, just different bumpers on the back. San Diego is ever so slightly heavier and 1* less toe hang. Just preference on looks at that point! Can't wait to see which one you choose!

i 100% understand what you mean. Hit both in the shop tonight, and Austin was the clear winner. Seemed easier to find the center of the face for me, and i really liked the look (same as my old Odyssey #1’s).

in the end I did a garage order for an Austin at the shop thanks to some trade ins.
Cannot wait for it to arrive!!!

Back