2020 US Open Tennis Update

Nate

My Friends Call Me Big Time
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap

Federer and a few others are on record saying they were not going to be interested in playing if no fans were there. What will they do now............

I can’t imagine being such a selfish out of touch tool that you’d sit this out because fans aren’t in attendance.

People are craving sports entertainment again and repeatedly are being rebuffed for the dumbest reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, guess the decision to play without fans has already been made but for another reason.

Sure hope the the Big 3 decide to show up.

They need the top players at the event. That said, the fans at tennis are more like golf. Sure the players could say the fans' reactions get them hyped up, the truth is the fans affect very little to anything on a tennis court.

Golf was very enjoyable this week, but not seeing golf fans isn't as big a deal as the other major sports. Seeing an empty basketball stadium is going to be much different since they are very much part of the game. Same for football. In tennis, you are quiet until after the point is over. On TV you don't even see the fans except when the station does wide shots.

I think most players will quickly realize this and be there for the US Open.

They need the top players at the event. That said, the fans at tennis are more like golf. Sure the players could say the fans' reactions get them hyped up, the truth is the fans affect very little to anything on a tennis court.

Golf was very enjoyable this week, but not seeing golf fans isn't as big a deal as the other major sports. Seeing an empty basketball stadium is going to be much different since they are very much part of the game. Same for football. In tennis, you are quiet until after the point is over. On TV you don't even see the fans except when the station does wide shots.

I think most players will quickly realize this and be there for the US Open.
What if they just piped in music the entire time during the match?! Think players would go for it?

What if they just piped in music the entire time during the match?! Think players would go for it?

Then they’d complain that it’s supposed to be quiet until after the point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the players will feel odd being in those large stadiums without the fans. Arthur Ashe main stadium is HUGE. Some of the outside courts not as big a deal.

My guess it takes them back to be more like home when they practice or play without anyone watching.

I expect the players get used to it very quickly.

Awesome! Was hoping to get there in person this year, but I’ll take it. No Fed, but if tennis can come back without fans like golf it’s be a success.

Great news!

Well, guess the decision to play without fans has already been made but for another reason.

Sure hope the the Big 3 decide to show up.
Cover up for his original excuse to not play the event... Not saying the procedure didn't happen, but it sure does provide a solid "forcefield" against criticism.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Cover up for his original excuse to not play the event... Not saying the procedure didn't happen, but it sure does provide a solid "forcefield" against criticism.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Strong possibility on that comment made.

It will hurt those players that feed of that NYC crowd. Can't imagine some the greats of yesteryear like Conners, Agassi even McEnroe playing in front of an empty house.

Back