Tour Event 2020 WGC Mexico Championship

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
2019 Champion is Dustin Johnson.
It appears as though a few of players in the top 50 are skipping over this one.

• Admin
Tony Finau has withdrawn

Surprised, given the size of the purse. Unless they are injured, a no-cut event with a purse that big has to be appealing

With the new schedule and Olympics and Ryder Cup this years field is definetly less than last year..

Can't wait to see how low they can go this year or how far they can hit it!

I don’t think the big guys really like this venue.

WGC Mexico - home of 390 yard bombs!

I was wondering how many of the big names would bypass this week.

Really crappy part of the schedule for a WGC. Don’t really blame guys for using this as their break.
Gives a couple of guys some great opportunities to make some guaranteed money though.

The ball is going to be flying a long ways this week at the extreme altitude. I look for DJ to repeat in this one.

Gererally a fun one to watch, bombs off the driver!!!!

I’m looking to see smoke streaming out of USGA ears with the length these guys will get. Yes I know it’s kind of a dead horse but I find it quite enjoyable.:ROFLMAO:

Isn't the whole point of the WGCs to get the big names to show up for their guaranteed payday?

To me, this course has seemed very blah so far.

I don’t think the big guys really like this venue.
This may be a naive question, but do you think it has anything to do with the travel to Mexico itself and the attendant security requirements? I have some good friends that are affiliated with high level race car teams and the story’s they have are really insane.

This may be a naive question, but do you think it has anything to do with the travel to Mexico itself and the attendant security requirements? I have some good friends that are affiliated with high level race car teams and the story’s they have are really insane.

I wondered that. I don’t know. Or if it is the event itself. The course, the location, The altitude all that. Plus the travel for one week there. It probably is all just a headache to these guys.

Just saw a video on ESPN with Webb Simpson hitting 7i 210 yards at that altitude. Talk about some serious adjustments this weekend

This may be a naive question, but do you think it has anything to do with the travel to Mexico

Genuine question response to your question ( :) ) - is having to travel (distance/time) to Mexico seen as a massive deterrent?

I understand the associated security issues, but surely Mexico isn't seen as too far away for players based in the US. Surely? Perhaps I have misunderstood the wording of your question.

Genuine question response to your question ( :) ) - is having to travel (distance/time) to Mexico seen as a massive deterrent?

I understand the associated security issues, but surely Mexico isn't seen as too far away for players based in the US. Surely? Perhaps I have misunderstood the wording of your question.
I didn’t/don’t want to detract from the golf portion of the thread, or fuel rumors, but some of my good friends who travel there for F1 or high level races tell me that that they have private security and are advised not to leave the hotel, and still there are issues from time to time. It is apparently very stressful.

393 yard par 4? No problem, I'll just drive it up there to the front portion of the green. - Fleetwood

Leggoooo rory

What a gnarly par 3 with a tree right in front of the green.

Back