2020: What Needs Finalizing In Your Bag

If you get the chance, check out the Cleveland Launcher Halo hybrids. They are awesome clubs.
Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check them out!

Looking at wedges right now; haven’t been able to find any I’m comfortable with. Also interested in trying again my abusive 3Wood club.

Did a long game fitting today.

Driver switch would be for aesthetics only, nothing in it for the numbers. Might pick up a SZ head if I want the same or Xtreme if I want to pick up a little more MOI. 280+ yards carry. Only issue is a little too much landing angle and height but not that bad.

3 Wood: Big Tour 3 beat out everything else and half more spin consistancy than everything else. Standard deviation was 79 RPM. This will be an improvement over my current F9. Also very easy to hit off the turf which was awesome.

5 Wood: Staying in the bag unless I combine with 3 iron for a 3 hybrid. Again spin consistancy was under 150 rpm which was awesome.

3 Iron: Same comment as 5 wood. Was strongly recommended not to move into a 4 hybrid since concern for flyers.

Really the big recommendation came down to consider the bottom of the bag to add a wedge. I had enough length at the top of the bag and could funk shots needed if I want to fit some gaps. My neck and back is now quite sore after a several hundred shots today and yesterday.

I have a bit to think about, but an extra wedge and a hybrid might be the play for me for next year. If I dont do the hybrid will mess with the neck settings of my 5 wood to add some loft.

I think Driver and Putter are the only two spots. Driver will be a competition between F9 and Mav Max, and I'm hoping to pick up a Frontline Elevado putter soon to put it to battle against the Tommy Armour mallet putter I currently have in the bag. No change to come this year in the FW/Irons/Wedge spots.

I am quite happy with my bag setup. I would like to try an Attas shaft in the driver.

If you get the chance, check out the Cleveland Launcher Halo hybrids. They are awesome clubs.
Read the review and thread here on THP. Really like the looks and what people have to say. Seems to fit my gap. Going to add this one to my must try list! Thanks again!

Read the review and thread here on THP. Really like the looks and what people have to say. Seems to fit my gap. Going to add this one to my must try list! Thanks again!

You're welcome, sir!

The only part of the bag that is "finalized" for me are wedges and putter. Everything else is up for grabs at this point.
Most likely outcome is staying with exactly with what I have.
Iron fitting to come here in the next month or so hopefully, mainly to see if there is room to improve on the current irons.
Driver/woods possibly to come. Depends how funds hold up with forthcoming baby spending needed first.

Driver, irons, wedges, utility and putter all set. Just need to figure out replacement for 3W and 3H.

Unfortunately, a significant amount of the 2020 stock has yet to make it to closest Golftown (45 minutes) to try out. Lastest thinking is maybe a pair of Callaway Super Hybrids in 17 & 20 (or 23) or Mavrik 4W and something else. Really undecided until more product is on racks.

My golf bag is pretty well set for the coming season, all that is left is the wedges. I've got a wedge fitting on Monday at CC to get that straightened out. So THP do you anything left to finalize in your bag for 2020?
Still going to tinker with the mav driver but otherwise, I’ll be spending most of the season playing the mav pros AND the apex pros. :unsure:

I'm on the fence of just ordering a new shaft. Total distance 261yds, Carry 252yds, Club speed 110mph, ball speed 151, launch angle 14.1, backspin 3593, Apex 122ft ... Driver now is a Ping G400 Max with Alta Stiff shaft set at 9.5 degrees (down from 10.5)

I've got a gap between 3H and Driver. I have to get a club to fill the gap between 260 and 230... Thinking CLK 2H to fix the gap... could be a G410 2H as well... I don't want a 3 wood.. maybe a 5 wood (strike won't be very solid)

Everything except the putter

Right now I'm mostly happy just trying to figure out whether to keep going with the second driver experiment or to add a big tour 3 wood in

I have to admit, I have some work to do before the snow is gone here in WI.
I replaced my TM Jetspeed Driver with the TEE EXS .
I switched out my fg tour f5 3 wood with a TEE EXS 5 wood. I am hoping I can hit that off the fairway a bit better.
I kept my Cleveland 4 Hybrid.
I changed out my irons from Speedblade HL's to Wilson C300 forged. The Wilsons are 4 - PW. The PW is 45 degrees.
Here is the biggest thing I need to figure out..... What wedges to use.
I could add a 48 degree cleveland, 51 degree WIlson tour f5 to go with my 54 degree and 58 degree wedges and remove my 4 iron.
Or, I could add a 50 degree cleveland CBX wedge and keep the 4 iron or add my 3 wood back in. (I love it off the tee for days my driver is 'broken')
I hate having this hanging over my head but I need to actually hit the clubs to see gaps and identify the exact needs. So, I will have to wait a bit longer. Though I may just head to an indoor 'range' to hit some balls. But I will still probably need to wait to hit off turf to be sure.

Top of my bag is a mess between my 5 iron and Driver.
Currently testing different lofted driving irons.
The dispersion on my hybrids and fairway woods isn't going to cut it for my goals and confidence.

After finalizing wedges and irons last week, I'm going back for the second half of my Club Champion fitting to get the top of the bag straightened out. I dont think I'll replace the M5, but will almost definitely pick up a new shaft for it. The 3w and 5w are solid for me, but I'm flirting with the idea of a hybrid instead of the 5w. We'll see what the latest offerings do for me. Lastly, I'm still hard pondering the Las Vegas or SL Black 7s to replace my Red 7s to get a little firmer feel and to get into stroke lab.

This years upgrade was going to be a driver, but then lightning stuck and I got onto team hackers for the MC. So now the speedzone will fill that driver need, and I’ll get a full bag of awesome upgrades equipment!
So only Thing left for me to ponder is a new flat stick (I use a mallet but whatever). I definitely don’t need one and hit mine well, but @Canadan and others have triggered me during this off the rack tournament...

I am pretty set on my bag at this point to start the season. Only item still up in the air is the shaft on my 5w. Ball is set, putter is set, wedges done, irons done, Driver most definitely done.

I'm on the fence of just ordering a new shaft. Total distance 261yds, Carry 252yds, Club speed 110mph, ball speed 151, launch angle 14.1, backspin 3593, Apex 122ft ... Driver now is a Ping G400 Max with Alta Stiff shaft set at 9.5 degrees (down from 10.5)

I've got a gap between 3H and Driver. I have to get a club to fill the gap between 260 and 230... Thinking CLK 2H to fix the gap... could be a G410 2H as well... I don't want a 3 wood.. maybe a 5 wood (strike won't be very solid)

I am in that boat. I love my G400 Max, but wanted a different shaft. Picked a dud though. I got the Alida Phenom that I loved in the Anser and just hated it in the G400 max. I have the 10.5 (turned down) and launch hit high and straight. It's just a touch shorter than other drivers I've owned. I should be happy to be in more fairways, but you know how we all want that PLUS an extra few yards.

I'll also test the other drivers this year to see if any of them can take it out of the bag.

Now that a fitting has determined a center shafted putter is better for me, I only have three out of about forty putters that are center shafted. I need to narrow down which one of the three will be my gamer and somehow stop myself from buying a few more to confuse the issue! My bet is by April I'll own a couple of new putters. I am so weak.:)

This years upgrade was going to be a driver, but then lightning stuck and I got onto team hackers for the MC. So now the speedzone will fill that driver need, and I’ll get a full bag of awesome upgrades equipment!
So only Thing left for me to ponder is a new flat stick (I use a mallet but whatever). I definitely don’t need one and hit mine well, but @Canadan and others have triggered me during this off the rack tournament...
I love it!

MC helped this along nicely-- Putter was obviously the only thing left to decide on and pulled the trigger there. So bag is set once Friday rolls around and orders are placed.

I really would recommend trying the Cleveland. After reading the reviews here, I hit the Launcher Halo Hybrid last October. I really liked it and a 4h would likely have been in my bag this year.

Back