2021-2022 College Football Thread

I am not totally agreeing with golfguy2021 and saying winning is simply STARS..........but my last post noted that in the 7 years of the playoffs ONLY 6 different teams have won a game. Bama, UGA, Clemson, LSU, OSU, and Oregon. If you go all the way back to 2010 and count title wins you can add 2 more schools to that list. Not including the 6 teams who have won a game, only 5 other teams have made the playoffs. Those other 5 teams have gotten beat by about 500 total points in those game. Guess what, those same 6 teams always winning are the ones with the most 5-star players. Bama, Clemson, UGA, OSU, and LSU have more 5 start recruits in the last 5 years than every other school combined basically. Bottom Line....recruiting the best players is HUGE!

And now the most important part of the post. FREEMAN! LFG!

It’s been busy in here today.

in related but insignificant west coast news the Fresno State QB took exactly 1 day to Transfer Portal and follow his former HC to UW. I really don’t like this new world order for college football.

I graduated from Ohio State with a degree in Computer Engineering. On the first job, if I demand the same salary as a Computer Engineering major from Caltech or Stanford, I would get laughed out of the building.

No, being a 5 star does not guarantee superstardom but you do get a faster start than others. Going by your logic, a person who has 4.0 GPA in high school and scores 1600 on the SAT should be treated the same as someone who has a 3.0 GPA and scores 1200 on the SAT.
You’re giving Rivals, 24/7, and ESPN way too much credit. A large percentage of those rankings are based on gossip and reported offers. A 5.6 (3 stars) guy on Rivals moves to 6.0 after Alabama offers a scholarship, according to a tweet. The guy must be good if Alabama offered, right? The basis for your argument (# of stars) is weak IMO. Do big programs land more talent and does that talent have more stars? Yes. Daily ice cream sales correlate with increased crime activity. Does ice cause crime? You’re a CompEng so you get the point.

It’s been busy in here today.

in related but insignificant west coast news the Fresno State QB took exactly 1 day to Transfer Portal and follow his former HC to UW. I really don’t like this new world order for college football.

i don’t like it either. but i also don’t understand how and why we built the first system that prevented or made it so damn difficult for the athletes to play at another school.

why is Venables to OU not done and dusted? what is going on?

i don’t like it either. but i also don’t understand how and why we built the first system that prevented or made it so damn difficult for the athletes to play at another school.
I never thought sitting out a year for a transfer was that onerous. Two years and outright bans for in conference transfers was too much, IMO

You’re giving Rivals, 24/7, and ESPN way too much credit. A large percentage of those rankings are based on gossip and reported offers. A 5.6 (3 stars) guy on Rivals moves to 6.0 after Alabama offers a scholarship, according to a tweet. The guy must be good if Alabama offered, right? The basis for your argument (# of stars) is weak IMO. Do big programs land more talent and does that talent have more stars? Yes. Daily ice cream sales correlate with increased crime activity. Does ice cause crime? You’re a CompEng so you get the point.

I've never said just simply the number of stars on the roster. It includes many things:

1- facilities,
2- money to support athletes,
3- coaching,
4- the number of 4 & 5 star recruits that FIT your system,

#4 is very important. Those recruits must fit your system. a 5 star drop back QB will not work in a dual threat or RPO. A few years ago, OSU recruited Tate Martel and he was a burst. Alabama recruited Blake Barnett and he was a burst. Clemson recruited Hunter Johnson and he was a burst. Those schools make mistakes too but since they recruit so many 5 star athletes, those mistakes were not costly. Trevor Lawrence took over at Clemson, Hurst at Alabama and Haskins took over at OSU. You get the point. ND or Cincy will never be able to compete with that. Money will not solve all problems and guarantee winning but you can bet it will not happen without money.

My other point is that it is also easier to recruit at LSU, Clemson, OSU vs. ND due to stricter academic standards. No way Jamar Chase, Justin Jefferson and Stingley would qualify to go to ND. That's why you see 5 star loaded rosters like 'bama, clemson, OSU and their odds of winning every year, while not guaranteed, is much higher than Cincy and ND.

Keep refreshing ESPN.com waiting for the Freeman hire to become official.

Elko is a great hire,
I've never said just simply the number of stars on the roster. It includes many things:

1- facilities,
2- money to support athletes,
3- coaching,
4- the number of 4 & 5 star recruits that FIT your system,

#4 is very important. Those recruits must fit your system. a 5 star drop back QB will not work in a dual threat or RPO. A few years ago, OSU recruited Tate Martel and he was a burst. Alabama recruited Blake Barnett and he was a burst. Clemson recruited Hunter Johnson and he was a burst. Those schools make mistakes too but since they recruit so many 5 star athletes, those mistakes were not costly. Trevor Lawrence took over at Clemson, Hurst at Alabama and Haskins took over at OSU. You get the point. ND or Cincy will never be able to compete with that. Money will not solve all problems and guarantee winning but you can bet it will not happen without money.

My other point is that it is also easier to recruit at LSU, Clemson, OSU vs. ND due to stricter academic standards. No way Jamar Chase, Justin Jefferson and Stingley would qualify to go to ND. That's why you see 5 star loaded rosters like 'bama, clemson, OSU and their odds of winning every year, while not guaranteed, is much higher than Cincy and ND.
We completely agree about #4. I also had Hunter in mind as a reference point to group think rating services. Hunter was the #1 QB for his HS senior year, according to ESPN. Rivals had him at 2 or 3. Sounds like you know his story. He transferred to Northwestern. Hunter was the starting QB on opening day. He dropped to 3rd string (?) and only played in a few games. Bummer for him. We also agree that it’s not a level playing field when it comes to qualifying as a student athlete. Some schools are easier than others.

Keep refreshing ESPN.com waiting for the Freeman hire to become official.
Do you the Fickell said no? Was Freeman the #1 target from the start?

AD wanted Fickell. Everyone else wanted Freeman. There would've been a mutiny. When Rees said he'd stay, that was the final piece to get him onboard instead of waiting for fickell.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

No idea whether it was ever offered to Fickell. I'm sure they had plenty of discussions with him though. I think it was kind of like a 1a and 1b with those two from the start.

No idea whether it was ever offered to Fickell. I'm sure they had plenty of discussions with him though. I think it was kind of like a 1a and 1b with those two from the start.

Fickell definitely has much more experience than Freeman. He is also an OSU alum. I didn't like him at first for losing for Michigan when he coached OSU. Despite my dislike for the Bearcats, Fickell is an excellent coach. His coaching at OSU has really helped him at Cincy.

Fickell definitely has much more experience than Freeman. He is also an OSU alum. I didn't like him at first for losing for Michigan when he coached OSU. Despite my dislike for the Bearcats, Fickell is an excellent coach. His coaching at OSU has really helped him at Cincy.
Wonder if Fickell is waiting for OSU to open after the NFL poaches Day. #speculation

I need OU to announce a coach already. I am literally having no production and refreshing twitter and scoop every 5 minutes. It's like when I am following a THP Live Event Thread.

I need OU to announce a coach already. I am literally having no production and refreshing twitter and scoop every 5 minutes. It's like when I am following a THP Live Event Thread.
No kidding. I read a rumor that they would announce it at the OU basketball game last night. It was a good game and I normally don’t watch college basketball until March. No announcement.

I could have sworn Martinez was already a 6th year senior.

Maybe he'll be a super-duper Senior.

Dumbest tweet of the day

Back