2021/2022 Soccer Thread

MLS rules question. Is there some nuance to the offsides rule that a newby might not be aware of? You cannot be behind the last defender unless the ball is also behind the defender. Anything else?
A player cannot gain an advantage from being behind the last defender before the ball is played to him.

So, if a player stood by the corner flag the entire time, he's not offsides. If he stands in front of the keeper, he's offsides.

A player cannot gain an advantage from being behind the last defender before the ball is played to him.

So, if a player stood by the corner flag the entire time, he's not offsides. If he stands in front of the keeper, he's offsides.
So if the ball is played to him he can get behind the defense in pursuit of the ball before the ball is actually there?

So if the ball is played to him he can get behind the defense in pursuit of the ball before the ball is actually there?
Yes. You have to be onside when the ball is played but then you can run past the defender to get the ball.

here is a two minute video that explains it well

As long as he is not behind the last defender BEFORE the ball is played. He can run behind the defense.

Doesn't mls use the same rules as the rest of the world?

Death to VAR!!! And all other replay while we are at it.

I would assume so.

I don't hate VAR for offsides.
I won't stoop so low to call you a gooner (Arsenal fan) but game is wrong if we need multiple lines & angles to determine a hair was closer to the goal than a toe

I won't stoop so low to call you a gooner (Arsenal fan) but game is wrong if we need multiple lines & angles to determine a hair was closer to the goal than a toe
This is where I don't like VAR for offsides. When a players hand is offsides, maybe, based on a zoomed in view.

I know, where do you draw the line, but some of what I see is really splitting hairs.

This is where I don't like VAR for offsides. When a players hand is offsides, maybe, based on a zoomed in view.

I know, where do you draw the line, but some of what I see is really splitting hairs.
Which is really why I don’t like it. They start splitting hairs instead of just clear and obvious. In my mind if you can’t decide in ten seconds the play should stand.

The wording is 2nd to last defender, which is including the goalie as a defender. This could come into play in a scrum around the goal where the goalie might have been pulled out off the goal line.

Not trying to add more confusion for any new fans, but sometimes it does come into play.

The wording is 2nd to last defender, which is including the goalie as a defender. This could come into play in a scrum around the goal where the goalie might have been pulled out off the goal line.

Not trying to add more confusion for any new fans, but sometimes it does come into play.
You are correct. That wording is important.

I'm old school , there has to be 2 opposition players before the player crosses that line when the ball is played. Simple

I'm old school , there has to be 2 opposition players before the player crosses that line when the ball is played. Simple
Except for throw ins, or if you are on your half of the field 😉

Poor Leeds 😢

Any Pat Noonan fans out there? Can anyone give me comfort that he won’t lead FC Cincinnati to their fourth wooden spoon?

MLS rules question. Is there some nuance to the offsides rule that a newby might not be aware of? You cannot be behind the last defender unless the ball is also behind the defender. Anything else?
Offsides is usually called when the attacker has an advantage (however slight) over the last defender. You have to be even or behind the defender befor the ball is in play (ground or air)

Offside is only for passes played forwards. Even if two attackers (the passer and receiver) are bearing down on goal on their own, the receiver cannot be ahead of the ball when the pass is played.

You always have to have two players between you and the goal line at all times when the ball is passed or you're offside. 99% of the time the GK is one, so it's just one defender really.

Offside is only for passes played forwards. Even if two attackers (the passer and receiver) are bearing down on goal on their own, the receiver cannot be ahead of the ball when the pass is played.

You always have to have two players between you and the goal line at all times when the ball is passed or you're offside. 99% of the time the GK is one, so it's just one defender really.
Unless you're Ronaldo.

Sad to see a great player like Aguero being forced to retire due to health issues.

Arsenal might be the most bipolar team ever.

In other news they announced the Charlotte FC kits and I will be getting 1.

Back